Start by marking “Starlighter (Dragons of Starlight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Starlighter (Dragons of Starlight, #1)

Starlighter (Dragons of Starlight #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,927 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
For years, tales of
DRAGONS
from another world kidnapping and enslaving humans have been circulating in Jason Masters' world, while for a slave girl named Koren, the stories of a human world seem pure myth. Together, these two teens will need to bridge two planets in order to overthrow the draconic threat and bring the lost slaves home.
What if the Legends Are True?
Jason Mast
Published April 1st 2010 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Starlighter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starlighter

Jill Williamson
Jun 18, 2010 Jill Williamson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review by Jill Williamson

What if the legends are true?

Jason doubts the myths that people were once taken through a portal to another realm where dragons rule. But his brother gives him a message that proves something is wrong with the world he lives in. He snoops around, hoping to find out where his brother went and how he might get there too.

Meanwhile, Koren, a slave girl in the dragons’ realm, seeks the same kind of answers. Where did her people come from? Is what the dragons tell them true? O
Kayt
Jan 02, 2011 Kayt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Jason Masters has trained his whole life, hearing the previously-unbelieved stories about dragons stealing humans and taking them to another world. Koren is a slave in the dragon's world, where any sign of disobedience equals death. Both passionately want to rescue the humans, but an old dragon prophecy stands in their way.

I would not have pegged this as being written by an established author; the problems are such that it felt like a new one in desperate need of editorial help or feedback.

The
liirogue
Jan 15, 2011 liirogue rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story had a lot of potential, but it got lost in poor character and world development. Davis has set his story in another world and time, but he never brings it to life. I never felt immersed in this world or like I had any kind of sense of it. Add wooden, stereotypical characters and the author's penchant for dragging everything on way too long, and this plot never stood a chance.
Christy Stewart
These two boring kids talk to each other through an egg. Soooooo, ya.

If you like dragons and YA you might dig this but it doesn't work for me. Not that I have anything against dragons. They are usually very nice.
Jadewik
Two planets on opposite sides of the solar system are connected by a gateway that has been closed for centuries. One planet whose natives call it Starlight is home to dragons who have enslaved humans from the planet Darksphere. (Humans call their planet Major Four and Starlight is referred to as Dracon.) Since the gateway between planets has been closed, much controversy exists on both planets as to the truth behind the stories of the humans who are enslaved by dragons (the Lost Ones). But when ...more
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
Oct 27, 2011 Wendy ~M/M Junkie~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: source-unowned
Title : Starlighter
Author: Bryan Davis
Publisher : Zondervan
copyright: April 1, 2010
format: Paperback
pages: 400

Jason Masters has always heard the stories of a dragon world. A world where the humans are forced into slavery to work for the dragons. Throughout his realm people have disappeared from time, believed to have been abducted by the "Dangerous mountain bears". Jason is doubtful that another world could even exist. His brother Adrian has taken leave from his post as a bodyguard for the gove
Daria
Aug 08, 2012 Daria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting idea. But I can tell this is a book in a series because there are so many questions that are left unanswered. I feel like I am missing a prologue for this book, but I guess I just need to read book two to find out. Guess I was in a mood for a whole complete story with an optional book two to further the adventure.

Dragons, sword fights, but a mix of science (yes science, not magic)to bring you into a place between worlds, Starlight the Dragon Planet, and the Fourth Major the human pl
❄Elsa Frost❄
Something I've particularly enjoyed about this novel is how not one side sees history as legend--it's both sides who view the history of dragons/a world of freedom as legend. I like that the author took on this tactic because this made the story much more interesting, especially since most authors would've put that only one side viewed this history as legend whilst the other side knows the truth about history. Sometimes both sides have it tainted--a good view placed firmly here!

The author also m
Freda Mans-Labianca
Attention fantasy lovers, this is a new series that you will likely enjoy! It has a lot of the best things you can ask for in a fantasy novel, lots of action, great characters and a adventure. There was even a little romance thrown in to spice it up.
I have to say, I fell in love with one character, Koren. There was something about her right from the beginning that had me captured, and at first I couldn't place what that was. The more I read, the more it became clear, she was the true star of the
Rachel Tettleton
Jan 16, 2014 Rachel Tettleton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-books-i-own
I still loves this book by Mr. Davis but I gave it four stars instead of five because I want to be clear that it is such a departure from the love and care I have developed for dragons as a result of Mr. Davis's previous series The Dragons in Our Midst/The Oracles of Fire/The Children of The Bard and I therefore could not attach myself to the characters quite as much. It was a strange feeling and I'm sure it's just me being weird but it was just not quite as great as the author's previous public ...more
Cameluta
***I was lucky to win a copy of this book through the GoodReads Advance program.***

This was an engaging high fantasy book, fast paced and with a lot of action. As expected, you know exactly who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. But I really liked Arxad (the only grey guy/dragon), as he was a loyal to his kin but he was also fair to humans. I would have liked to know more about Tibalt who was a very interesting character, but not very well developed ... but maybe this will happen in the
Julie
I loved this book! It tells the tale of several characters at once that find each other during this facinating adventure with dragons. There are so many lovely features of this book but instead of me telling you all about it, you should really go and pick this one up! The black egg, Jason, Koren, and the Starlighter will keep you entertained for several hours! It's a relatively quick read (just took me awhile because I was at a conference)!
Lillian
Not a bad story, but the time era kinda through me for a loop here and there, hahaha... I THINK it's a medieval setting???

Still neat though.~

Best Part:
Dragons!
Worst Part: Lame ending.
Thoughts Had: Really!?

Conclusion

Continuing the Seri
Sic Transit Gloria
EDIT: I've read the series now. It's not worth it. It just keeps getting weirder, adding more unnecessary things, and slowing down. Don't bother with it.

This book abides by one motto: "Make it weirder." The story starts with a duel to determine the best swordsman. I thus assumed a medieval time frame and was promptly proved wrong when the protagonist encounters a genetically locked voice recorder. The rest of the book proceeds in this fashion, introducing modern and sometimes futuristic technolo
J.Elle
Jan 25, 2011 J.Elle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a strange feeling to it. And I know I won’t be able to describe it well, but it reminded me of the feeling I get from watching the desert scenes in the Return of the Jedi, kind of detached and barren. This makes no sense, I know, but it’s true. Anyway, Jason has grown up hearing myths about dragons stealing people from his world to use as slaves on their dragon world. When his older brother goes missing, he sets out on a quest to find him and ends up discovering the myths are true. ...more
Annie
I recieved this as a Christmas gift. I loved Bryan Davis's Dragons in our Midst/Oracles of Fire series, so I was excited to get into another dragon series by him!

The premise of this book was really unique. The setting was strange, but I liked it. I also liked how Davis wove together the stories of Jason and Koren. Speaking of Jason, he reminds me very much of Billy Bannister from DIOM. Hm.... I liked the characters, as a whole. They were very well-developed, and I actually cared about them.

Over
Annmarie Ager
Apr 24, 2011 Annmarie Ager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a wonderful well written book while it took me a while to read i was very happy with the way the story went and i can't wait to see what happens next :)
Kara
May 28, 2012 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starlighter by Bryan Davis
Review by Kara Grant
Minor Spoilers

My Review
Jason Masters is a peasant boy whose life consists of lessons, training, tournaments, and tasks in the commune. He is a trained warrior who wants more out of life. He longs to slay dragons and rescue slaves, both of which are rumors and thought not to exist. He lives with his parents and older brother, Adrian, who is also Jason’s training coach and mentor.

Koren is an orphan slave who lives with other orphans that serve dragons.
Leah

Starlighter tells a vivid tale of two groups of people on different planets destined to find each other. One group, The Lost Ones, are slaves on a planet taken over by dragons. The dragons have enslaved them for so many generations that they are unaware that they come from a different planet where humans rule and dragons are considered mythical.

The story starts out with the character, Jason, defeating Randall, son of the governor, in a sword fighting challenge. Soon after they find themselves
Analeigh
Jan 01, 2017 Analeigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A very good book. It contains a story of courage and bravery of a Warrior, a Diviner, and a Starlighter. Although, through diction and syntax, it is a novel meant for teens/young adults I find it to have a unique story line and wonderful characters. I cannot wait to read the next instalment!
Robert
Mar 21, 2017 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Meh. Flat characters, dull world, and a story with a convenient plot. I was entertained but I have no desire to find out what happens next.

Full review will be posted to ReadingOverTheShoulder.com on Apr.17.2017
Reading Teen
May 12, 2010 Reading Teen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the Reading Teen blog (http://ReadingTeen.blogspot.com) and the Parental Book Reviews site (http://ParentalBookReviews.com/)

I'm not a huge "dragon person" but when I saw this cover, I just had to have this book. I contacted Bryan Davis, and Zondervan sent me a copy of Starlighter for review! I'm really glad they did.

The story is told from two different perspectives (and actually sometimes another viewpoint is thrown in there). Jason is from the human home planet called Major Four or Darksp
Nikole Hahn
Jun 30, 2010 Nikole Hahn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“He looked down at the spot where the tube had lain. A scrap of parchment lay there, a piece of the Code. With the last known copies of the great book burned by Prescott’s men, only a few remnants survived, and this quarter of a page would stay hidden until a better man took the governor’s place.”

Book one tells the riveting tale of two worlds—one of a human enslaved world ruled by Dragons, and a human-ruled world with a feudal-like governing system.

Jason Masters lives in the human-ruled world
Cassy
Jan 06, 2012 Cassy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alcieta
I'm not sure what it is about Bryan Davis, but his books usually take me a while to get through. I get tempted to put them down and give in to that temptation, but I always want to finish them. First reason being - all the books of his I've read are action packed and well-imagined. Second is - I enjoy the events that carry the story. But in all of these books, I trip over the story. (I've read Beyond the Reflection's Edge series and this book, fyi)

I have a bad habit, when reading, of trying to
Katy
Aug 14, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of YA science fantasy, dragons
Recommended to Katy by: Goodreads First Reads
I won my copy of this book from the Goodreads First Reads program – thanks for the opportunity to be introduced to a really amazing story!

“Starlighter” shuttles us back and forth between two worlds – both have people suffering under oppression, but one is worse than the other. On Mark 4, people consider themselves to be free, but it is essentially a feudal society and the governor is corrupt and tyrannical. On Starlight, people are slaves to the dragons. Each world has its stories – on Mark 4 th
Kate
Mar 14, 2010 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adults
Recommended to Kate by: Myself
Shelves: 2010
As a “30 something” mom, I am quite selective when it comes to choosing which Young Adult novels to read. I tend to pick authors whose works I am already acquainted with and a few which come highly recommended by other adult readers and bloggers. It is my previous experience in the adventures of the “Dragons in Our Midst” series by Byran Davis, which lead me to Starlighter.

Exited to hear that this wonderful author has started a new series, Starlighter has been on my wish list for a while! And, c
Ashli
4.5 stars*
The first time I read this book, I had given it 2 stars. Why? Because it wasn't what I expected. Bryan Davis is my favorite author and even though this book/series is about dragons just as Dragons in Our Mist and Oracles of Fire, it's completely different. Maybe in a way, I was disappointed. I read it way too fast, and I think because of that I didn't understand it as much as I could have if I had read it slowly. After finishing it, I didn't remember much. After I got books three and f
Eustacia Tan
Aug 03, 2012 Eustacia Tan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I don't know why, but all the Bryan Davis books I read involve Dragons. But still, I'm not complaining, the series are nothing alike. Starlighter is part-fantasy, part-science fiction. It involves two worlds, one called Darksphere, where tales of kidnapping Dragons are regarded as fairytales, and Starlight, where the kidnapped humans are slaves to the dragons.

Jason, from Darkshpere, and Koren, a slave from Starlight, are being brought together with a series of events. Against the odds, Jason fin
  • The Vanishing Sculptor (Valley of the Dragons, #1)
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • Heartless (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #1)
  • Precisely Terminated (Cantral Chronicles, #1)
  • Chosen Ones (Aedyn Chronicles #1)
  • The Restorer's Son (The Sword of Lyric #2)
  • The Wolf of Tebron (The Gates of Heaven, #1)
  • Always Watching (The Rayne Tour, #1)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • The Book of the King (The Wormling, #1)
Bryan Davis is the author several speculative-fiction series, including Dragons in Our Midst, Oracles of Fire, Children of the Bard, The Reapers Trilogy, The Time Echoes Trilogy, Tales of Starlight, and Dragons of Starlight.

Bryan lives in western Tennessee with his wife, Susie. Bryan and Susie have homeschooled their four girls and three boys.

Bryan was born in 1958 and grew up in the eastern U.S.
More about Bryan Davis...

Dragons of Starlight (4 books)
  • Warrior (Dragons of Starlight, #2)
  • Diviner (Dragons of Starlight, #3)
  • Liberator (Dragons of Starlight, #4)