I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence

I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  27,241 ratings  ·  1,282 reviews
The charismatic and multi-talented Amy Sedaris is many things: actress, author, and yes, David Sedaris's sister. Now, she takes on the world of entertaining in this blisteringly funny collection of bizarre tips, recipes and craft ideas (like mini pantyhose plant-hangers!) perfect for hosting an unforgettable fete. Your guests will rave.
Audio CD
Published October 16th 2006 by Hachette Audio

To ask other readers questions about I Like You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Like You

Jessica
Nov 16, 2007 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: entertainers, and those seeking to improve their entertaining skills
I initially misunderstand the intention of this book, which was probably why I was little disappointed by it. This book is not funny. I mean, there are funny things in it, but it's not joke book or a send-up of Martha Stewart or anything like that. Instead it's pretty straightforward guide to entertaining (the having-your-friends-over kind of entertaining, mostly, with a just little making-a-spectacle-of-yourself-to-amuse-others kind of entertaining thrown in here and there). As a guide to throw...more
Jason Koivu
Sarcastic, quirky and kooky, I Like You - this jokey book on being the hostess with the mostess - is perhaps the only kind of hospitality book I could take serious.

Half of this is domestic, home-maker, party-planner, cookbook material. In fact it surprised me how much of I Like You is straight up serious. Some of it's funny as hell, but then you suddenly get a recipe thrown into the mix. It's as scatterbrained as its author's onscreen performances. Hit and miss.

Amy Sedaris is generally a funny...more
m
Jun 21, 2007 m rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urbanists, people who'd like to cook but can't, people on mind-altering drugs
I stuck this book on my Christmas list. Nobody bit.

I looked on Amazon. They used to say "popular in Cincinnati, OH and Montgomery, AL" -- no such information for this book. But something tells me I scared off my family with this one, with the cover being so garish and wacky. This is similar to the reaction I got when I asked for the Buffy musical episode for Christmas some years ago -- everyone just wanted to know, what the heck?

Weeks passed before I remembered to start putting in library reques...more
Nathan
Sep 17, 2007 Nathan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Strangers With Candy fans, igloo dwellers.
Shelves: humor, reference
Genius. Amy Sedaris is one of the most beautiful people on the planet. Get this book, then go make your Fuck It Bucket. It's filled with crafts and recipes for depressed stoners. The book, not the Fuck It Bucket. Different story. Regardless, read this book. Good times.

NC
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Boy oh boy this one really left me in a quandary.

I read this book a while ago . . . and it gave me a sad so I didn’t write a review. My love for Amy Sedaris goes back a long time. Before she was all cute on “Elf” or doing guests spots on my new fave T.V. show “Broad City”

I loved her as Jeri Blank. Totally inappropriate, menopausal, high school student, Jeri Blank.

I wasn’t prepared to not love this book. I had to take some time and...more
Bobby
For the record, this review is for the audio book version; I may have rated it differently had I read the book. Also for the record, I was a good way into it when I realized that this book is NOT really geared towards heterosexual men such as myself (it was her giving advice on "vaginal cleansing" aka douching before I made this realization! Yeah, I know I'm slow.)

I'm very familiar with (books by) Amy's brother, David Sedaris, and am a big fan. So I think I was hoping to find something just as...more
Julie Suzanne
It may just be that I'm not cool enough for this book, but after I was bored and annoyed by the audibook, I checked out the hardcover copy to scan for recipes. I hated the book much more. I felt that most of her tips were obvious, useless, not as funny as she was trying to be, and overall just dumb. The pictures, although I'm sure there was some creative and artistic brilliance involved in making it just so, were offensively UGLY, making even the recipes I had thought I might like to try look di...more
Hayley
Aug 20, 2007 Hayley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: domestic goddesses, Sedaris lovers
Quite simply, I want to be Amy Sedaris when I grow up. I think it just might be possible too, considering that I also enjoy baking cupcakes, I have a wacky family, and on occasion I have been known to be arrestingly adorable (and yet bizarre at the same time).

Maybe the Sedaris family can just adopt me. I feel like they need to balance out Rooster and the crazy sister with no furniture. Hmmm...

In any case, I haven't tested out the recipes in here or attacked any of the craft projects, but I can'...more
Rebecca
I love this book. I no longer feel like a failure in entertaining my friends and acquaintances. I also acknowledge the universal truth that alcohol is a wonderful tool to feel better about yourself and make others feel better about themselves.
Amy Sedaris clearly likes to party. And is creative. And has more friends (or is it acquaintances?) who will come to her parties. I cracked up at some the themes she comes up with and wondered, "If I use the tips in this book, will I become more popular? O...more
Mary Sue
This is more of a coffee table book than a real instruction book. Open it anywhere and start laughing! Some of her suggestions are practical, some are hilarious, all are interesting. I doubt if I do any of the pantyhose crafts, but I might pick up a few ideas to really use. I bought this book when she was a guest speaker at a seminar series at the university. Enjoyed the evening and I recommend you do that too if you have the opportunity.
Amy Sedaris's mind is always at work. Here are some of her party and hosting tips (in no particular order):

*Don't bring your dog [actually, this is really good advice...]
*Invite the barnacle in your life to parties only if there are a large number of people so he or she will be lost in the crowd.
*If you are the guest: Don't arrive saying you have chiggers, scabies, ringworm or lice. Keep your parasites to yourself.
*Change your medicine chest from herbal remedies to something that works - fast-ac...more
Linda
Interesting format: a cookbook with farcical scenarios and hospitality suggestions. For instance, what menu should you plan if you are having a group of lumberjacks over for a meal?

If you, like Amy, have a rich uncle unexpectedly drop in needing a place to stay for the weekend, remove your earrings and insert a broom straw in the ear hole. When your Rich Uncle asks why you have broom straws in your ear, tell him that you are saving up for a pair of earrings. After he goes to bed, make sure to h...more
Madeline
I expected this to be a joke cookbook, but there are real recipes in here, and most of them look pretty good. Sedaris's book also includes diferent party themes, complete with decorating and entertaiment ideas (one of the games for the children's party was called "Gypsy - blindfold the kids, drive them to the other side of town and leave them somewhere they've never been before. The goal is to find their way back) and general tips - she suggests filling your medicine cabinet with marbles because...more
MJ
Amy Sedaris takes a half serious half humorous look at the lost art of hospitality. While portions of the book were laugh out loud hilarious others were just bizarre and absurd. The one thing I can take a way from this book is add more alcohol to everything.
Bonnie Rue
I want Amy Sedaris to move in next door to me.
Universe - do you hear me?!
I want Amy Sedaris to move in next door to me!
Iowa City Public Library
Amy Sedaris wrote a book just for me!!

Well, ok.. she didn’t write it JUST for me, but this book is my new guide to life!

I Like You: hospitality under the influence by Amy Sedaris is almost impossible to classify. Technically is supposed to be a guide to entertaining. But it’s also a cookbook (with over 100 recipes), a guide to parties and social occasions (from entertaining in-laws to blind dates), and so much more.

In case you’re wondering just who Amy Sedaris is, or why that name sounds familia...more
Brittany
(My review is based upon the audio book)

I like hospitality and I like sarcasm and witty humor, so you'd think this book would be right up my alley. But she takes the sarcasm just ridiculously too far. Make a makeshift bedpan out of a cardboard box when caring for the sick? Oh, come on. The beginning of the book seems as of she is trying to write a legitimately helpful book on playing hostess. But it wasn't long before I was debating if the entire book was meant to be satire. There are some good...more
Rachel Aloise
I would not have picked this up if it weren’t on sale by weight at the ABC Treehouse in Amsterdam this weekend (and it does weigh a ton) but it’s pretty hilarious and along with the lovely Rob Ryan A Sky Full of Kindness for 1 kilo– a fun find!
Merritt
Aug 14, 2007 Merritt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys making themselves and other people feel nice
Shelves: cookbooks
I read this (and this isn't just a cookbook, there is a lot to read) in an afternoon. It's still sitting on my radiator, and I've had a few bad days where I picked it up and immediately felt better. I paid full price for this the week after my birthday, because no one gave it to me. The only thing I've made is the pesto- twice. I plan on making "Chicken of the Taverns," because that's a fun thing to say, and the cupcakes becasue I'm sure they are very good. The photos/drawings throughout the boo...more
Janet Gardner
This book wasn’t bad, but it seemed a little misguided. (I hovered between two and three stars.) I was expecting a humorous take on entertaining--either a parody of other party-planning books, or maybe funny recountings of parties gone awry. Something like that. Instead, most of the book was straightforward advice (some of it even useful) about how to plan and execute gatherings of various sorts, with occasional snide asides about drinking, drugs, or how to make money from your guests. But then...more
Erin
It's pretty clear that the name "Sedaris" is synonymous with "hilarious." Amy Sedaris is just as funny as her brother David Sedaris, which is excellent for those of us looking for reliable authors we can remember at bookstores. I love Amy's pairing of advice and humor and find her take on hospitality refreshing and honest. I plan to recommend this book to my friends and I think the audiobook will make an excellent gift come next Christmas.
Danny
my friend and i found this book whilst in the ministry. we read most of it it in the aisles of that library, while peeing our pants and trying so hard not to make a scene. i then bought it and kept it in my book notch near my bed so every morning i would wake and see it and chuckle a bit.

some good ideas in it too!
Amy
Perfect, obviously. My friends got me the book on cd, because the book itself was too large to shoplift. My friends are degenerates. But I get the book from the library sometimes and am always delighted by the photographs, especially the pictures of Amy Sedaris putting on pantyhose. She is the hero with a thousand faces.
Susie
I love Amy Sedaris and I love that this book, while funny, is more funny because the advice is based on things you probably should or shouldn't do when throwing or attending a party. And then there's the terrible/awesome crafts. I kind of wish I worked with children so I could force them to make some of these ideas.
Julia
AH! HYSTERICAL! WONDERFUL! The photos are goofy & weird, the layout is dizzying but fascinating, and my only complaint is that the recipes are scattered throughout instead of lumped together in a more traditional cookbook style--you have to work a little to find what you want, but really...this book is fabulous.
Kathleen
An excellent host/hostess gift, particularly around the holidays. If they don't like it at least you'll have something to do while sitting on the couch at their undoubtedly dull and humorless dinner party. A delightful extra bonus is the pantyhose fold-out, which nearly had me in tears.
Christie
I like you Amy Sedaris. Upon reading this book I quickly implemented the "Fuck It Bucket." A bucket of candy that when life gets you down just say "fuck it" and eat a piece of candy. Life's better with a Fuck It Bucket.
Cori
I use this book every time I am going to a potluck, having a party, or just making something yummy to eat. . . Amy's sense of humor, her good taste, and the pictures of her putting on pantyhose are just too good to miss!
Stephanie Folger
Ok, so I haven't read it so much as flipped through it, but it cracks me up! A fun coffee table book with crazy crafts.
Jessica
This started out funny, but then parts of it were just plain wierd. I'm glad that it is over.
not good? 3 94 Jul 11, 2011 10:19AM
  • SantaLand Diaries
  • We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive
  • Fraud: Essays
  • Take the Cannoli
  • The Gallery of Regrettable Food: Highlights from Classic American Recipe Books
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper
  • Eat Me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin
  • Candyfreak: A Journey through the Chocolate Underbelly of America
  • Pure Drivel
  • Skipping Towards Gomorrah
  • Created in Darkness by Troubled Americans: The Best of McSweeney's Humor Category
  • The Cute Book
Comedianne Amy Sedaris confronts vulgarity with a daring innocence to create her wickedly absurd characters. You may best remember her as America's most lovable skank, Jerri Blank, from the hyper-irreverent series Strangers With Candy. Raised in North Carolina,, Sedaris got her start at Second City in Chicago before moving to N.Y.C. to write plays with her brother, author David Sedaris, who has hi...more
More about Amy Sedaris...
Wigfield: The Can-Do Town That Just May Not Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People The Book of Liz - Acting Edition I Like You The Ultimate David Sedaris Audio Collection

“I think it's good for a person to spend time alone. It gives them an opportunity to discover who they are and to figure out why they are always alone.” 1981 likes
“Don't leave a piece of jewelry at his house so you can go back and get it later; he may be with his real girlfriend.” 969 likes