Start by marking “Romans : from Biblical text to contemporary life” as Want to Read:
Romans : from Biblical text to contemporary life

Romans : from Biblical text to contemporary life (The NIV Application Commentary, New Testament #6)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This book, part of the NIV Application Commentary Series, helps readers learn how the message of Romans can have the same powerful impact today that it did when it was first written.
Published August 19th 2009 by Zondervan (first published August 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Romans , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romans

Sue
Really like Moo's style. Romans is a difficult book to grasp unless you look only at the broad overview. Paul is so "wound up" when he writes this. He definitely has a point to make, and he makes it over and over, step by step, and then step by step again. Even a casual read of Romans reveals the intensity Paul feels when he writes this letter. Moo helps decipher it, while pointing out the various doctrines (sometimes contrary to each other) that have sprung from this letter. I've become a fan o ...more
Deanna
I studied the book of Romans during 2014. I gained greatly by taking a year to slowly study Romans, and this commentary was an extremely helpful tool. Romans - The NIV Application Commentary was in depth. I did not understand everything I read, and I certainly had to take my time, but every chapter was broken down into manageable sections. The Original Meaning section was by far the most difficult; I had to take my time. It was worth my efforts. Bridging Context and Contemporary Significance wer ...more
Matthew
Having read this commentary, I feel I have an even greater appreciation of Romans than I did before. I've taken a class on Romans, listened to all kinds of sermons about this letter, and read quite a few books about this treatise on the Christian faith. This may be my favorite of all of them. It was both theological and practical, which is what I wish every commentary was. I have no doubt that I'll be coming back to this as a resource for years to come!
Frank Peters
This is the commentary on Romans in the NIV Application Commentary series, and was written by Douglas Moo. I have really thought highly of this particular commentary series. In general the authors have done an excellent job in bringing out the relevant applications of the particular passages. I also really like and respect this particular author – Douglas Moo. But, for some strange reason, this particular commentary did not resonate with me. I found the analysis of the passages excellent, but th ...more
Beth
Moo's treatment of Romans is thorough and scholarly. His main emphasis is seeking out the correct meaning of the apostle Paul's text to the Roman Christians in the 1st century A.D. and then making application to our own lives today. I found most beneficial his explanation of the extra meanings that occur in the original Greek but are not obvious in English translations. As a current teacher of the book of Romans to a small group that meets in my home, I found this a really helpful resource.
Wayne
A good readable commentary on Romans - each passage is dealt with in three sections: Original Meaning (to the Roman Christians), Bridging Contexts (helping modern audiences understand the geographical, social, and temporal context), and Contemporary Significance (how does this apply to me as a 21st century American).
Michael Combs
Best "casual" commentary on Romans out there. His larger volume is even better.
Justin Steckbauer
This was an excellent treatise of Romans, very balanced and powerful.
Michael
I always use this commentary series when I am studying for a sermon. Very well written.
Rob Whelan
Awesome. Clear and focused. High level issues-- good for impatient people like me.
David Kleinhans
David Kleinhans marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Eric Sahlberg
Eric Sahlberg is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2015
Dave Sangiah
Dave Sangiah marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
plá
plá added it
Feb 26, 2015
Jamaral Gilchrist
Jamaral Gilchrist marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
  • Romans
  • The Message of Acts: The Spirit, the Church, and the World (Bible Speaks Today NT)
  • The Gospel According to John
  • The Gospel of Luke
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • Evangelical Dictionary of Theology
  • Genesis
  • Romans
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • The Doctrines That Divide: A Fresh Look at the Historic Doctrines That Separate Christians
  • A Survey of the New Testament
  • Romans (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament, #6)
  • Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • Revelation: Four Views: A Parallel Commentary
  • The Journey: Walking the Road to Bethlehem
Douglas J. Moo (PhD, University of St. Andrews) is Kenneth T. Wessner Professor of New Testament at Wheaton College Graduate School in Wheaton, Illinois. He is the author of commentaries on Romans, James, 2 Peter and Jude, and Colossians and Philemon and coauthor of An Introduction to the New Testament. He also headed the committee on Bible translation for the NIV revision.
More about Douglas J. Moo...

The NIV Application Commentary, New Testament (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Matthew (The NIV Application Commentary)
  • Mark (The NIV Application Commentary)
  • Luke
  • John
  • Acts
  • 1 Corinthians
  • 2 Corinthians
  • Galatians (The NIV Application Commentary): From Biblical Text-- to Contemporary Life
  • Ephesians (The NIV Application Commentary, New Testament #10)
  • Philippians
The Epistle to the Romans The Letter of James Encountering the Book of Romans: A Theological Survey The Letters to the Colossians and to Philemon 2 Peter, Jude (The NIV Application Commentary)

“Paul’s evangelism, his letters suggest, has two great motivations: a sense of obligation derived from what God has done for him and commissioned him to do for others, and a desire that God will be glorified by as great a number of people as possible. We are to imitate Paul by extending God’s grace in the gospel just as he did.” 0 likes