Romans : from Biblical text to contemporary life

Romans : from Biblical text to contemporary life (The NIV Application Commentary, New Testament #6)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This book, part of the NIV Application Commentary Series, helps readers learn how the message of Romans can have the same powerful impact today that it did when it was first written.
Published August 19th 2009 by Zondervan (first published August 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Romans , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romans

Sue
Really like Moo's style. Romans is a difficult book to grasp unless you look only at the broad overview. Paul is so "wound up" when he writes this. He definitely has a point to make, and he makes it over and over, step by step, and then step by step again. Even a casual read of Romans reveals the intensity Paul feels when he writes this letter. Moo helps decipher it, while pointing out the various doctrines (sometimes contrary to each other) that have sprung from this letter. I've become a fan o...more
Matthew
Having read this commentary, I feel I have an even greater appreciation of Romans than I did before. I've taken a class on Romans, listened to all kinds of sermons about this letter, and read quite a few books about this treatise on the Christian faith. This may be my favorite of all of them. It was both theological and practical, which is what I wish every commentary was. I have no doubt that I'll be coming back to this as a resource for years to come!
Frank Peters
This is the commentary on Romans in the NIV Application Commentary series, and was written by Douglas Moo. I have really thought highly of this particular commentary series. In general the authors have done an excellent job in bringing out the relevant applications of the particular passages. I also really like and respect this particular author – Douglas Moo. But, for some strange reason, this particular commentary did not resonate with me. I found the analysis of the passages excellent, but th...more
Beth
Moo's treatment of Romans is thorough and scholarly. His main emphasis is seeking out the correct meaning of the apostle Paul's text to the Roman Christians in the 1st century A.D. and then making application to our own lives today. I found most beneficial his explanation of the extra meanings that occur in the original Greek but are not obvious in English translations. As a current teacher of the book of Romans to a small group that meets in my home, I found this a really helpful resource.
Wayne
A good readable commentary on Romans - each passage is dealt with in three sections: Original Meaning (to the Roman Christians), Bridging Contexts (helping modern audiences understand the geographical, social, and temporal context), and Contemporary Significance (how does this apply to me as a 21st century American).
Michael White
I always use this commentary series when I am studying for a sermon. Very well written.
Rob Whelan
Awesome. Clear and focused. High level issues-- good for impatient people like me.
Corey Sharpe
Corey Sharpe is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2014
Shawn Matthew
Shawn Matthew is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Rafael
Rafael marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Olga
Olga is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2014
Steve Stanley
Steve Stanley marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Carl Smith
Carl Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Leanne
Leanne added it
Mar 23, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Mar 20, 2014
Danielle Leigh
Danielle Leigh marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Jessie Rayos
Jessie Rayos marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Deanna
Deanna is currently reading it
Feb 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Douglas J. Moo (PhD, University of St. Andrews) is Kenneth T. Wessner Professor of New Testament at Wheaton College Graduate School in Wheaton, Illinois. He is the author of commentaries on Romans, James, 2 Peter and Jude, and Colossians and Philemon and coauthor of An Introduction to the New Testament. He also headed the committee on Bible translation for the NIV revision.
More about Douglas J. Moo...
The Letter of James (Pillar New Testament Commentary) The Letters to the Colossians and to Philemon Encountering the Book of Romans: A Theological Survey (Encountering Biblical Studies) 2 Peter, Jude (The NIV Application Commentary) Galatians