Start by marking “This Fine Life” as Want to Read:
This Fine Life

This Fine Life

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  1,049 ratings  ·  141 reviews
It is the summer of 1959 and Mariette Puttnam has just graduated from boarding school. When she returns to her privileged life at home, she isn't sure where life will take her. More schooling? A job? Marriage? Nothing feels right. How could she know that the answer is waiting for her within the narrow stairwell of her father's apparel factory, exactly between the third and ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Revell

To ask other readers questions about This Fine Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Fine Life

Renee
I really loved this story, especially since it took place in the early 1960s, not a common time period in Christian fiction. The book spans about 5 years and follows Mariette Puttnam from a well to do teen to a pastor's wife in a small town. It made me cry and laugh so I was never bored. Great book!

Full review to come!
Ruth
When Mariette Puttnam graduates from an exclusive boarding school and returns to her family, she faces a future full of unknown and exciting possibilities. But if her parents have any say in the matter, her future will be carefully channeled – her father wants her to continue her education and join him in the family business, while her mother wants to find her a very proper Southern husband so she can begin the very proper occupation of raising a family. However, a chance meeting with Thayne Sco ...more
Casey
THIS FINE LIFE gives a charming glimpse into the 1960’s lifestyle, but also depicting the turmoil that lies below the surface for one young couple.

The story is a passionate romance- never inappropriate- the love between Mariette and her husband Thayne is blood warming, but does have its pitfalls. Watching Mariette and Thayne mature and grow through the story kept me rooted to the pages and I liked seeing them progress from self centered, impulsive teenagers.

I had a deep empathy for Mariette as s
Ashley
This Fine Life was gritty and real and will have you on a emotional rollercoater. I will definitely be on the lookout for more books by, Eva Everson ~Review TBW~
Title: THIS FINE LIFE
Author: Eva Marie Everson
Publisher: Revell
ISBN: 978-0-8007-3276-5
Genre: Inspirational/women’s fiction

Mariette Puttman graduated from boarding school in 1959 and headed home to—what? Her mother believes she should be married off to the first eligible bachelor, and her father says this is a different age. Mariette can go to college, or get a career, or do whatever she wants. But unfortunately, Mariette isn’t sure what she wants.

When her daddy invites her to join her for lunch
Jocelyn Green
I don’t think it’s giving away too much to tell you that Mariette, the very rich and upperclass protagonist, falls in love with a young man named Thayne who is beneath her social status. There are two love stories going on in this book: first, the love between Mariette and Thayne; second, the growing love between Thayne and God, a love which Mariette does not understand, which causes her to feel like outsider. Therein lies the real drama of the story.

I’ll be honest, it took me while to get into
Kaylea
I’ll be honest. It took me a while to get into this novel. At first I was turned off by some of Mariette’s actions – especially with how she treated her parents at the start of the relationship – and eventual marriage to Thayne.

But as the pages (and years) fly by, and Mariette faces life as a young newlywed and then as a pastor’s wife, I found myself growing to like her as a character. I also found myself liking Thayne and the choices he makes throughout his life.

Overall, this story grew on me.
Sydney
This was a solid 3.5 stars for me. This book walks the line between historical and Christian fiction. Normally I'm not a fan of Christian fiction, but really, other than the fact that Mariette's husband Thayne decides he's going to be a preacher... and a few scenes toward then end where Mariette finally finds her faith, it's not that evident that this is Christian fiction.

The book is set in the sixties in Georgia. Mariette was sent away to an all girls boarding school for high school and returns
Darliece
Margaret Metz
I wasn't sure what to think of this book. I loved the cover and the writing was fabulous! The author chose interesting and descriptive phrases that made the scenes very easy to see in my mind.

I didn't really care for the characters much in a lot of the book though. In the beginning, Mariette has this strange mix of innocent and planned passion. She picks dresses that hug her shape and thinks about how it will make Thayne go crazy, lies to have time alone with him ... pushes herself on him - and
Erin
This was another free Kindle book. I liked the author's writing style and use of description. However, even though the book was set in the 60s, it was almost easy to forget that altogether, if not for a few mentions of houses that still had outhouses and the assassination of Kennedy (which was mentioned briefly and then not brought up again). I felt as though the author used description of wardrobe choices to anchor the story in the past, but there really needed to be something beyond that.

I en
Michelle
Character development = 1
Story development = 0

The only reason I gave this book three stars is because I fell in love with Mariette. Even though this book is set in the 1960's and our protagonist is married, I still related to her situation so much. I can not say much for the writing style of this author or the long drawn out story that doesn't pick up until about the last 50 pages...but Mariette's story is definitely worth dredging through everything else.

There is much to be said about the unde
Susie
The plot of this book was interesting, but I thought it ended abruptly. Suddenly she goes through a crisis, her prayer is answered and it's all ok! I appreciated the portrayal of the main character's feelings of rejection and being overlooked. I love to read things like that I can empathize with.

It was a bit annoying how the book kept tying in to events of the time - Elvis, JFK, the invention of color TV.

Also, it really bothered me that Thayne was always making important decisions without even c
Lobug
For a novel, this book read like an autobiography. Not that that is a bad thing, if it is well written, but there was a lot to be desired in that aspect with this book, imo.

There wasn't a lot of character development. You get to know the main character a little- but what you know isn't encouraging. She is pretty brainless: not dealing with important issues or thinking ahead at all for years at a time. Issues that come up are not so much dealt with as mentioned and then dropped.

The ending seeme
Nenette
A story that allowed me to travel back in time to 1959, to the 60's and early 70's. Although American, the idea of a fine life is not at all different withany other culture: comfort and happiness in a nice house and respectable community. Amidst these material aspirations, a fine spiritual life was not lost in the plot. It speaks of an awakening of the soul, albeit a little late. The book also talks about God's unlimited love and forgiveness. It is the story of a preacher's wife, but I didn't fi ...more
Emily
Free download for nook. I enjoyed this one, although the characters' lack of communication irritated me at times. Starting in 1959 when Mariette graduates from Catholic boarding school, it takes us through her whirlwind romance with an up-and-coming employee in her father's factory, their elopement, her husband's somewhat surprising decision to become a minister, and their difficult first year in a small town, striving to be accepted by their new congregation. Though Mariette was raised as a reg ...more
Lorie
This was a well written book about one woman's life. She was born of money and found love in someone who had no money. He decides to become a pastor in the 60's and is sent to a church in the middle of no where. Her life is hard but she comes to love it as she tries to find God, like her husband knows him. One quote that stands out is from her father in law. He told her that for the most part life was really good, but when it was bad it was really bad. She has her ups and downs but overall, I re ...more
Jennifer Fluegge
In general, I did like this book. I liked the author's style of writing and enjoyed the storyline. I, however, thought it more than a little strange that the husband (who becomes a pastor in the book) did not try a little bit harder to lead his wife to the Lord. Here he was preparing to be a pastor and it didn't seem to concern him quite as much as it should have that his wife had no clear understanding of God, Who He really is, and what He had done for her. It just struck me as odd, I guess. Bu ...more
C
I seem to be the only one that absoulutely hated the book. I found Thayne a pathetic excuse for a husband, unable to support his wife after he pressured her to marry him, failing to discuss important decisions with her, ect. I found Mariette very childish who tended to blindly follow Thayne.

The only character I liked was Mariette's father. If not for her father eating the costs of almost everything, from their car, their jobs, to their furniture, to eventually letting Thayne and Mariette live w
Michelle Bolanger
I normally push through slow going or draggy books simply because I love to read. And when they are well written like this one I do try to at least finish even if I'm not fond of it.

But I made it just about halfway with this one. I just couldn't connect with the characters, and couldn't find an emotional connection to the story either. The imagery and the descriptions of the happenings and surroundings were good, but there was not a shred of emotional - anything - for me.

I can't find it in me
Carol
To be honest, I'm a little torn about my review for this book.

The writing is really good. Everson clearly places the reader in the time and setting of the novel. It's nearly impossible to read this without a Southern accent and I love that. Sometimes she wavers on pushing the time period (through songs on the radio and language, etc) too much, but in the end, it is actually just perfect as you feel transported to that time.

I like most of the characters and how they develop throughout the story.
Miranda Agee
I find I'm having trouble with this review. The period, primarily the 1960's, was well noted, including all the factual, historically significant events (eg: MLK's "Dream" speech, election and assassination of JFK), the story was enjoyable enough, though definitely PG-13, or R-rated for strict Christian Fiction Readers, and the characters, for the most part, were enjoyable, yet, this did not jump up and demand my attention. I cannot concisely pinpoint what it was that kept me at an arm's length, ...more
Rachel
I felt like there was so much more this book could have done with the setting - the early 1960s in Georgia. The characters were so focused on themselves, to the exclusion of the rest of the world, that it could have been set in the 2000s with a few tweaks. My only other problem with this novel was the serious lack of communication between the main characters - I wasn't quite sure why they liked each other in the first place.
Kaitlin
This was one of those books I picked up as the Amazon freebie of the day and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. I wouldn't even be able to tell you exactly what it was about, just life. Set in the fifties and sixties it is an era I'm drawn to in my reading. It's the life of this girl that graduates from a Catholic boarding school and returns home without much of a plan. Her mother wants her to find a good husband and start a family while her father wants her to go to college and see ...more
Ane Mulligan
I absolutely loved and devoured this book. Eva Marie Everson has created characters that will steal your heart. Mariette is asked to be something she knows nothing about. For love's sake, she tries her best, but best isn't always good enough, at least in the eyes of the small town she's trying to win over—Logan's Creek, where everyone knows everything about everybody—or so they think.

Mariette's young husband, Thayne, becomes the new pastor of the town and its inhabitants, from the four sisters
Becky
I was very impressed with this book. It's the first one I have read in a while that didn't have anything naughty in it, meaning no foul language or overly explicit private moments. I really enjoyed being brought back into a time that I have always wanted to be a part of...
Kristi Fleming
At first I loved this book, and did love the characters. Towards the middle to end of book the author just seemed to jump way ahead leaving you curious about everything in between. In the end, I felt this book was just OK.
Becky
This book really surprised me. I've not read this author before, but I'm looking forward to reading her more.
I was coming off of the Divergent series and desperate for another 'goodread.' Having tried severals I finally gave this one (a free download) a shot.
Initially I found the beginning a bit sophomoric, lacking depth, and not reeling me in. Then the main character Mariette, does something that I never thought she would do. And from that point on I was hooked.
Set in the south and easy t
Andrea Stoeckel
[n.b. I am an ordained minister of 25 years...so I may have a different insight than others might]

Mariette falls for a boy "from the other side of the tracks" and marries him. He works very hard to prove himself, and when he feels the call to be a minister, she becomes the pastor's wife. But will see ever fit into a rural town of less than 200?

Through many trials, their faith is tested and tempered. Thayne's call and response to ministry is strengthened and maturing but Mariette feels left out
Vivian
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • Stealing Jake
  • The Homecoming
  • A Kiss of Adventure (Treasures of the Heart #1)
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove, #1)
  • The Swan House (The Swan House, #1)
  • Sweet Baklava
  • Thicker Than Blood
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • Surrender the Wind
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • It Happens Every Spring
  • The Vigilante's Bride (Texas Rangers #1)
  • Sons of Thunder
Eva Marie Everson is a successful speaker, a popular radio personality, and the award-winning author of Things Left Unspoken. She is coauthor of the Potluck Club series and the Potluck Catering Club series. She lives in Florida.
More about Eva Marie Everson...
Chasing Sunsets (Cedar Key, #1) Things Left Unspoken Waiting for Sunrise (Cedar Key, #2) Unconditional Slow Moon Rising (Cedar Key, #3)

“For too long I had existed, not really going anywhere and not standing still. I just lived, always in search of something that seemed just out of my range of vision.” 0 likes