This Fine Life

This Fine Life

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  951 ratings  ·  133 reviews
It is the summer of 1959 and Mariette Puttnam has just graduated from boarding school. When she returns to her privileged life at home, she isn't sure where life will take her. More schooling? A job? Marriage? Nothing feels right. How could she know that the answer is waiting for her within the narrow stairwell of her father's apparel factory, exactly between the third and...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Revell

To ask other readers questions about This Fine Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Fine Life

Renee
I really loved this story, especially since it took place in the early 1960s, not a common time period in Christian fiction. The book spans about 5 years and follows Mariette Puttnam from a well to do teen to a pastor's wife in a small town. It made me cry and laugh so I was never bored. Great book!

Full review to come!
Ruth
When Mariette Puttnam graduates from an exclusive boarding school and returns to her family, she faces a future full of unknown and exciting possibilities. But if her parents have any say in the matter, her future will be carefully channeled – her father wants her to continue her education and join him in the family business, while her mother wants to find her a very proper Southern husband so she can begin the very proper occupation of raising a family. However, a chance meeting with Thayne Sco...more
Casey
THIS FINE LIFE gives a charming glimpse into the 1960’s lifestyle, but also depicting the turmoil that lies below the surface for one young couple.

The story is a passionate romance- never inappropriate- the love between Mariette and her husband Thayne is blood warming, but does have its pitfalls. Watching Mariette and Thayne mature and grow through the story kept me rooted to the pages and I liked seeing them progress from self centered, impulsive teenagers.

I had a deep empathy for Mariette as s...more
Ashley
This Fine Life was gritty and real and will have you on a emotional rollercoater. I will definitely be on the lookout for more books by, Eva Everson ~Review TBW~
Title: THIS FINE LIFE
Author: Eva Marie Everson
Publisher: Revell
ISBN: 978-0-8007-3276-5
Genre: Inspirational/women’s fiction

Mariette Puttman graduated from boarding school in 1959 and headed home to—what? Her mother believes she should be married off to the first eligible bachelor, and her father says this is a different age. Mariette can go to college, or get a career, or do whatever she wants. But unfortunately, Mariette isn’t sure what she wants.

When her daddy invites her to join her for lunch...more
Kaylea
I’ll be honest. It took me a while to get into this novel. At first I was turned off by some of Mariette’s actions – especially with how she treated her parents at the start of the relationship – and eventual marriage to Thayne.

But as the pages (and years) fly by, and Mariette faces life as a young newlywed and then as a pastor’s wife, I found myself growing to like her as a character. I also found myself liking Thayne and the choices he makes throughout his life.

Overall, this story grew on me....more
Sydney
This was a solid 3.5 stars for me. This book walks the line between historical and Christian fiction. Normally I'm not a fan of Christian fiction, but really, other than the fact that Mariette's husband Thayne decides he's going to be a preacher... and a few scenes toward then end where Mariette finally finds her faith, it's not that evident that this is Christian fiction.

The book is set in the sixties in Georgia. Mariette was sent away to an all girls boarding school for high school and returns...more
Darliece
Margaret Metz
I wasn't sure what to think of this book. I loved the cover and the writing was fabulous! The author chose interesting and descriptive phrases that made the scenes very easy to see in my mind.

I didn't really care for the characters much in a lot of the book though. In the beginning, Mariette has this strange mix of innocent and planned passion. She picks dresses that hug her shape and thinks about how it will make Thayne go crazy, lies to have time alone with him ... pushes herself on him - and...more
Erin
This was another free Kindle book. I liked the author's writing style and use of description. However, even though the book was set in the 60s, it was almost easy to forget that altogether, if not for a few mentions of houses that still had outhouses and the assassination of Kennedy (which was mentioned briefly and then not brought up again). I felt as though the author used description of wardrobe choices to anchor the story in the past, but there really needed to be something beyond that.

I en...more
Michelle
Character development = 1
Story development = 0

The only reason I gave this book three stars is because I fell in love with Mariette. Even though this book is set in the 1960's and our protagonist is married, I still related to her situation so much. I can not say much for the writing style of this author or the long drawn out story that doesn't pick up until about the last 50 pages...but Mariette's story is definitely worth dredging through everything else.

There is much to be said about the unde...more
Susie
The plot of this book was interesting, but I thought it ended abruptly. Suddenly she goes through a crisis, her prayer is answered and it's all ok! I appreciated the portrayal of the main character's feelings of rejection and being overlooked. I love to read things like that I can empathize with.

It was a bit annoying how the book kept tying in to events of the time - Elvis, JFK, the invention of color TV.

Also, it really bothered me that Thayne was always making important decisions without even c...more
Lobug
For a novel, this book read like an autobiography. Not that that is a bad thing, if it is well written, but there was a lot to be desired in that aspect with this book, imo.

There wasn't a lot of character development. You get to know the main character a little- but what you know isn't encouraging. She is pretty brainless: not dealing with important issues or thinking ahead at all for years at a time. Issues that come up are not so much dealt with as mentioned and then dropped.

The ending seeme...more
Nenette
A story that allowed me to travel back in time to 1959, to the 60's and early 70's. Although American, the idea of a fine life is not at all different withany other culture: comfort and happiness in a nice house and respectable community. Amidst these material aspirations, a fine spiritual life was not lost in the plot. It speaks of an awakening of the soul, albeit a little late. The book also talks about God's unlimited love and forgiveness. It is the story of a preacher's wife, but I didn't fi...more
Emily
Free download for nook. I enjoyed this one, although the characters' lack of communication irritated me at times. Starting in 1959 when Mariette graduates from Catholic boarding school, it takes us through her whirlwind romance with an up-and-coming employee in her father's factory, their elopement, her husband's somewhat surprising decision to become a minister, and their difficult first year in a small town, striving to be accepted by their new congregation. Though Mariette was raised as a reg...more
Lorie
This was a well written book about one woman's life. She was born of money and found love in someone who had no money. He decides to become a pastor in the 60's and is sent to a church in the middle of no where. Her life is hard but she comes to love it as she tries to find God, like her husband knows him. One quote that stands out is from her father in law. He told her that for the most part life was really good, but when it was bad it was really bad. She has her ups and downs but overall, I re...more
Jennifer Fluegge
In general, I did like this book. I liked the author's style of writing and enjoyed the storyline. I, however, thought it more than a little strange that the husband (who becomes a pastor in the book) did not try a little bit harder to lead his wife to the Lord. Here he was preparing to be a pastor and it didn't seem to concern him quite as much as it should have that his wife had no clear understanding of God, Who He really is, and what He had done for her. It just struck me as odd, I guess. Bu...more
C
I seem to be the only one that absoulutely hated the book. I found Thayne a pathetic excuse for a husband, unable to support his wife after he pressured her to marry him, failing to discuss important decisions with her, ect. I found Mariette very childish who tended to blindly follow Thayne.

The only character I liked was Mariette's father. If not for her father eating the costs of almost everything, from their car, their jobs, to their furniture, to eventually letting Thayne and Mariette live w...more
Michelle Bolanger
I normally push through slow going or draggy books simply because I love to read. And when they are well written like this one I do try to at least finish even if I'm not fond of it.

But I made it just about halfway with this one. I just couldn't connect with the characters, and couldn't find an emotional connection to the story either. The imagery and the descriptions of the happenings and surroundings were good, but there was not a shred of emotional - anything - for me.

I can't find it in me...more
Rachel
I felt like there was so much more this book could have done with the setting - the early 1960s in Georgia. The characters were so focused on themselves, to the exclusion of the rest of the world, that it could have been set in the 2000s with a few tweaks. My only other problem with this novel was the serious lack of communication between the main characters - I wasn't quite sure why they liked each other in the first place.
Cari
This book makes me ponder the early years of my parents' marriage. My parents married young. My father was called into the ministry at a young age, after receiving Christ at aged 16. With a passion for spreading the message of Christ, he went out and witnessed to those hungry for spiritual food. They began holding meetings, and soon the congregation grew, and a church was built in the little town of Bulo, Philippines. My parents were poor, but they could honestly say that God was good.

This book...more
Ane Mulligan
I absolutely loved and devoured this book. Eva Marie Everson has created characters that will steal your heart. Mariette is asked to be something she knows nothing about. For love's sake, she tries her best, but best isn't always good enough, at least in the eyes of the small town she's trying to win over—Logan's Creek, where everyone knows everything about everybody—or so they think.

Mariette's young husband, Thayne, becomes the new pastor of the town and its inhabitants, from the four sisters...more
Becky
I was very impressed with this book. It's the first one I have read in a while that didn't have anything naughty in it, meaning no foul language or overly explicit private moments. I really enjoyed being brought back into a time that I have always wanted to be a part of...
Kristi Fleming
At first I loved this book, and did love the characters. Towards the middle to end of book the author just seemed to jump way ahead leaving you curious about everything in between. In the end, I felt this book was just OK.
Becky
This book really surprised me. I've not read this author before, but I'm looking forward to reading her more.
I was coming off of the Divergent series and desperate for another 'goodread.' Having tried severals I finally gave this one (a free download) a shot.
Initially I found the beginning a bit sophomoric, lacking depth, and not reeling me in. Then the main character Mariette, does something that I never thought she would do. And from that point on I was hooked.
Set in the south and easy t...more
Jeannette
The writing wasn't very good. The author tried to "speak" in this 1950s-era voice, but it doesn't ring true. I found it rather annoying.
Laura Carter
This book reached a really personal part of me. I connected to the character and how she never felt like she was part of anything. Always on the outside looking in. That's pretty much how I've felt my whole life and anywhere I've been. I also only feel part of something special when I'm with my husband.

I also really connected with the part where they took a small church in a small town. My husband did the same thing, and the women treated me the same way that they treated Mariette. I wasn't rai...more
Lori
May 22, 2010 Lori rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lori by: Compliments of Donna @ Revell Publishing -- thanks!
This Fine Life is different from most romance books I read, and I almost decided not to finish it. Let me try to explain. The first 100, or so pages read like a YA romance (which I so do not read!) and it was really hard for me to make myself keep reading. However, I was determined to give it a try because some of you had already posted reviews, raving over what a good book it was (thanks for that!). Once the story picked up, it definitely got better and better.

Another thing about this book that...more
ReviewsByMolly
May 16, 2010 ReviewsByMolly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!!!!!!!!!
Recommended to ReviewsByMolly by: Revell
Immediate capturing of my sould, my mind, my heart. That is the best way to say what I felt when I opened this book to read it. I very rarely find a book I absolutely hate (although it will happen from time to time!) and I assure you that this book absolutely, positively DOES NOT fall in to that category. I LOVED IT!!! While I admit that I am more partial to Amish and romantic Christian suspense, I do like these dramatic type novels thrown in.

Eva Marie Everson shows fine skills as she creates a...more
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
I liked this book from the very beginning. It really gave me a sense of the late 50's early 60's - from the descriptions of the clothing that the characters wore, to the tables and chairs at the local hangout. A feeling of innocence pervaded the first section of the book. This innocence also carried over into the feelings that Thayne and Mariette shared for one another. Though her parents did not approve of their relationship - because they were of different social standings and because of a se...more
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • The Homecoming
  • Stealing Jake
  • The Swan House (The Swan House, #1)
  • The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove, #1)
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Hurricanes in Paradise
  • Sons of Thunder
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Thicker Than Blood
  • A Kiss of Adventure (Treasures of the Heart #1)
  • Sweet Baklava
  • Surrender the Wind
  • Journey to the Well
  • Veiled Freedom
  • Walking on Broken Glass
  • Love Finds You in Victory Heights, Washington
Eva Marie Everson is a successful speaker, a popular radio personality, and the award-winning author of Things Left Unspoken. She is coauthor of the Potluck Club series and the Potluck Catering Club series. She lives in Florida.
More about Eva Marie Everson...
Chasing Sunsets (Cedar Key, #1) Things Left Unspoken Waiting for Sunrise (Cedar Key, #2) Unconditional Slow Moon Rising (Cedar Key, #3)