Start by marking “The Beginning” as Want to Read:
The Beginning

The Beginning (FBI Thriller #1-2)

The Cove and "The Maze," the first two thrillers in the FBI series that introduced Special Agents Dillon Savich and Lacey Sherlock, are offered together for the first time in one volume.
Published September 1st 2005 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The Beginning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beginning

Wendy
Jun 19, 2012 Wendy added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody!
No no no! Don't make me read any more. I didn't actually finish reading this book but I need to share my horror. The writing is so terrible. It's like she is writing to morons who can't remember a character's name. I got to page 79 and probably heard the name "Thelma Nettro" 40 times. Really? People can't remember that Thelma is Thelma Nettro? And she does it with all the other characters too! Nobody can just go by a first name. Also, the characters explain their entire background to everyone wh ...more
Stacey
Dec 11, 2009 Stacey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book combines the first two FBI Thriller books, The Cove and The Maze.

I didn't much care for The Cove. It was far too confusing. Within the first 5 pages there are dozens of characters, the main character being called two different names - which made no sense, and an endless string of confusing events. It wasn't until around page 200 that the book started explaining itself. I realize the author was probably trying to get you to feel some of the main character Sally/Susan's confusion, but i
Merredith
Sep 05, 2010 Merredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
The beginning is really 2 books in one, the first two books of the FBI series. In the two books we meet two agent best friends and their wives (a political aide and another agent). I have to say, both of those women have very messed up families. Both stories were fast paced and kept me guessing the whole time. Real page turners. I just gulped down this large book! (good thing I had a long weekend to do it!). I also loved that in the second part, whenever they were stresseed, they'd say 'let's go ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Two books in one. The Cove and The Maze, book 1 and book 2 in the FBI Thriller series. The Cove started off pretty good and caught my attention but then the heroine got TSTL and the story fell apart on me. It took on a rather juvenile tone. There were a few times I felt the characters didn't behave as I'd expect adults to behave. I didn't feel the plot held up either. The Maze started rough for me. I almost didn't finish it. Again the plot had some holes but it did get a little better and I was ...more
Catherine Mihm
Nov 06, 2016 Catherine Mihm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Cove: She's running from her past that she can't remember. She knows someone's after her but she can't get people to believe she's not insane. She escaped the sanitarium and the abuse that she experienced there. She runs for Oregon to her aunt whose home is at the Cove. Little does she know, the residents of the Cove have their own deadly secrets.
Quinlan an FBI agent, poses as a private investigator to get to the truth. He starts out believing that she's guilty of murder but he falls in love
Sonya
Aug 04, 2014 Sonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ather reading 3 of Catherine Coulter's FBI thrillers with Sherlock & Savich I decided to start from the beginning. This book is a combination of the 1st two FBI series books. The first "The Cove" introduced Agent Quinlan, who I didn't really know much about before. The second "The Maze" provided the basis for the team of Sherlock & Savich. Both took a chapter or two to get into but then moved along quick and with lots of twists & turns. I enjoyed both and look forward to continuing t ...more
Jackie
Sep 30, 2008 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two books in one... great! Catherine Coulter seems to have a formula for her books... at least the three that I've read so far. These two books were an easy read, and it's nice to see characters that carry through more than one novel. However, reading a few of her books in a row causes her books to seem predictable. I loved this one so much, that when I picked up a different one, I was a little disappointed that the layout was similar to the first two. Great mystery though.
Kerri Chiaramonte
Finished Book 1 June 23, 2013
Unbelievably weird book! Weirdly written! Weird story...and yet the 17th book in this series has been published! Since I purchased a combo pack with books 1 & 2, I will persevere! Whether I make it to book 17 remains to be seen. They will have to get much better in order for that to happen!
Christopher
I've been putting off reading this book for a while. For some reason I thought it was strictly romance, and was pleased that it turned out to be that and more.

The "thriller" aspect though of both stories leave a lot to be desired. Mostly smoke with little substance
Wendy
Sep 29, 2013 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was her first FBI thriller ("The Cove") -- glad I read later books of hers first or I would not have picked her up again. Not a bad plot line but not very well written, and I thought there was a lot of sappy, ridiculous rabbit trails.
Michelle
Apr 03, 2010 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: who-dunit
2 stars for the first story and 2.5 for the second. I'm just not a fan of the stories themselves or the writing style. Oh well. At least I tried a new author. And I have been meaning to read her for awhile. Now I can say I have.
Marie
Mar 05, 2010 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am always looking for new authors to read. I am certainly glad I picked this book. She certainly knows how to keep you interested from the first to the last page. I stayed up all night just to finish this book and immediately went online to order more of this series.
Dotti Elrick
The Beginning is the first two books in Catherine Coulter's FBI series. The Cove and the Maze. I loved them both. The Maze is my absolute favorite of the entire series. They are a bit mystery, a bit thriller and a little bit romance.
Mary
Sep 12, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a romance novelist, Catherine Coulter's FBI thrillers are terrific reads. This book tells both the stories of Lacey Sherlock and Dillon Savich. From THE BEGINNING, the rest of her FBI thrillers are fast-paced and fun to read.
Mhd
Oct 13, 2015 Mhd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
This title is a bit deceptive: this is a combo of 2 books, The Maze and The Cove. I read The Cove but not The Maze. It was ok and had some nice touches. I don't understand why they are packaged together...I don't see a thematic reason...just the author, I guess...
Jennifer Henschel
Excellent adult mystery series. Love Sherlock and Savich
Joy
Dec 28, 2011 Joy rated it it was ok
Fairly terrible and predictable romantic-suspense novels, but I have to admit I enjoyed them as brainless airport reading. YMMV.
Karen
Jun 19, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series. I always try to find out when her next book in this series will be out.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Overall the 2 stories in this book were ok.......Maybe i'll read other stories in the series but I am in no rush to do so right now.
Batya
Jun 09, 2009 Batya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No big deal of a thriller. I may pick up another paperback.
Anne
Jan 07, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. I really enjoyed this which is a compilation of the first two FBI books by Coulter. I will be reading more of them.
Melissa
didn't finish
Deborah
Jun 24, 2015 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I now know how they met

This is great, I love Savich and Sherlock. It was nice to know how they met and it was a great reading about their first cases. More, more give me more.
May 29, 2009 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read the Cove, just started on The Maze
Elyse
OK, now it's making more sense of the much-later volume in this series that I read a few years ago. A fun yarn with some strong female characters. I will read more in the series.
Necole Moreau
Oct 01, 2014 Necole Moreau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading the first two books in this FBI series. Can't wait to keep reading on.
James R. Stenhouse spark
A unique duo

Suspense! + Good wins. This Kindle 'thing' has given introductions ,for me, New authors and access to books that interest...and can entertain you, also.

Tammi Whitcomb
Meh. I'd read #3 if I was bored and out of other books to read but they were pretty lame. At least I finished them!
Gerri
Jan 12, 2009 Gerri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very good. Light reading with humor.
Allison
Jun 02, 2011 Allison rated it it was ok
I guess I'm just a sucker for the romance.
  • Impulse
  • Chobits, Omnibus 2
  • Last Breath (Last #3; John Mancini #13)
  • The Angel (Boston Police/FBI, #2)
  • No One Lives Forever (No One, #3)
  • Seattle on Ice (A Brick Ransom Adventure, #2)
  • Nameless (Less Series, #2)
  • Missing
  • Nice
  • Pax Demonica (Adventures of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom, #6)
  • Gift of Fire (Gift, #2)
  • Little Girls Lost (Carson Ryder, #6)
  • White Satin
  • Zach's Law (Hagen Series #4)
  • The Final Exam (School of Fear, #3)
  • Drop Dead Divas
  • Nothing More to Lose (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #3)

FBI Thriller (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Cove  (FBI Thriller #1)
  • The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2)
  • The Target (FBI Thriller, #3)
  • The Edge (FBI Thriller, #4)
  • Riptide (FBI Thriller, #5)
  • Hemlock Bay (FBI Thriller, #6)
  • Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)
  • Blind Side (FBI Thriller, #8)
  • Blow Out (FBI Thriller, #9)
  • Point Blank (FBI Thriller, #10)