Gil Elvgren

Gil Elvgren

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Post-depression America was in desperate need of a defining iconography that would lift it out of the black and white doldrums, and it came in theform of Gil Elvgren's Technicolor fantasies of the American dream. His technique-which earned him a reputation as "The Norman Rockwell of cheesecake"-involved photographing models and then painting them into gorgeous hyper-reali
Published April 15th 2010 by Taschen America, LLC (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Gil Elvgren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gil Elvgren

Alicia
This book is a great visual reference for any artist. I bought it when I had an "ink"ling to design a tatoo based on the nose art of my grandfather's WWII plane. He was a bomber. I didn't end up gettign the tat, but I still love the book. Great color pallette and whimsical designs.
Becky
First of all I need to say thank you for my wonderful Other Half for getting me this gorgeous book, so 'Thank You Baby' :)
This is a typically beautiful art book from Taschen which charts the work and life of Gil Elvgren the pop artist and real life MadMen artist. His images were used to advertise everything that made up the mid 20th Century American world, everything from Cola, to war bonds to farming equipment could be found featuring one of his provocative little ladies. Usually these were pai...more
Kitty
My mama bought this for me last time we were at the Getty, knowing that I love vintage aesthetics and that I have a soft spot for the cheesiness of pin ups. I finally got around to reading this today and as I flipped through page after page of pretty girls, each with the same perpetually surprised look upon their faces, skirts twisted up high around their waists in increasingly improbable scenarios, I started to wonder a bit. Didn't ole' Gil EVER tire of painting the same thing every time? It's...more
I have this book on my coffee table, and everyone that comes over has to check it out! I am completely obsessed with Elvgren's pinups, they are gorgeous and timeless...I was clearly born in the wrong era!
T.M.
Another birthday gift from my wife (my own private pin up). A great overview of a master artist. Not as widely known as Vargas, I think Elvgren's got more humor, style, and humanity in his work.
Robert Bussie
Beautiful book with some biographical information and a lot of gorgeous art work by pin-up master Gil Elvgren.
Teishabug
I found this book in the marked down area, and I just
had to have it. It is huge book with gorgeous pin-up
pictures from the infamous Gil Elvgren. Although
Alberto Vargas is probably the more well known of the two, Gil Elvgren was pretty much just as respected in his time.
There wasn't a whole lot of reading, it gave a nice history
on Gil though. It was mainly the beautiful pin-ups that made
this book. I swear, I wish I was part of this era. I still
say the sexuality was just so classy.
Elizabeth Amber Love
Jan 06, 2012 Elizabeth Amber Love rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of cheesecake, good girl art, Playboy fans, models and anyone studying vintage wardrobes
Recommended to Elizabeth Amber by: Bunche
Even though art books are specially designed to bring attention to the art itself, this hardcover includes a ton of information about Elvgren's life, his mentors, contemporaries and predecessors. It's the finest collection of Elvgren pinups. The images are organized so that you can see when he used the same source image for different paintings and in several cases the original photographs of his models are included showing a unique behind-the-scenes glimpse into his process.
Sammi
Apr 05, 2012 Sammi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of pin-up, people who appriciate art or women
Beautiful book!
The paintings of the women are amazing and so beautifully done.
I love looking through this book, it never gets old.
I definately appriciate art like this, truly gorgeous.
It's not, however, a typical art book as although it is filled with beautiful pin ups on every page - it also has exerpts of writing about the artist himself.
Definately a must have.
J.souza
Beautiful collection of drawings of beautiful women, made by the master of it Gil Elvgren.

You know thoose classic pin-ups that you see everywhere, from tattoos to callendars? Well, probably 98% were made by Gil.

Also a great reference for illustrators like me to understand more the art of drawing beautiful ladies!
Rachel
Jan 06, 2010 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: rockabilly chicks and pin up artists
Recommended to Rachel by: Robin
This a great pictoral reference guide of Gil Elvgrens pin up girl art through the ages. Brilliant as an artists reference, for rockabilly chicks who want some style inspiraton, or for people who just love looking at pin up girls and admiring there cheeky beauty!
Emily
this book is meant for artists. it goes into great detail about influences and materials. as someone who was just reading it for pleasure, I wish there had been more nostalgic photos, especially with his work with coke.
Carolann
For a pictorial review of this lovely Gil Elvgren book, please visit Her Literary Salon.
Michelle
I'm a little disappointed. I don't care for the layout at all, 4 ladies crammed on a page, and why are some of the images so blurry? Cheap, but I got what I paid for at $13, so whatever.
Leelan
Sweet, innocent and flirtatious! Elvgren was one of the best glamour artists that have ever lived. If you own a book of his art and one book of Alberto Vargas you don't really need any others.
Tara
Gil Elvgren is my absolute favorite pin-up artist. An amazing book. Beautiful in design and georgous colors.
Father
My wife gave me this for valentines day. A good bio of Gil Elvgren, plus the pictures are nice.
Julia Boechat Machado
Excelente livro, bons textos sobre Elvgren, boa qualidade nas imagens e nas fotos.
Tattered Cover Book Store
A fun adn fantastic collection of the works from the pin-up master.

Ryan
Leonardo
Pin-Up girls are really cool!
lilya
lilya added it
Aug 26, 2014
Marco Carneiro
Marco Carneiro marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Hend
Hend marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Necole Vitale
Necole Vitale marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
  • Pop Surrealism: The Rise of Underground Art
  • Myth and Magic: The Art of John Howe
  • In Vogue: An Illustrated History of the World's Most Famous Fashion Magazine
  • SuicideGirls
  • Jazz Age Beauties: The Lost Collection of Ziegfeld Photographer Alfred Cheney Johnston
  • Books Do Furnish a Room
  • The Circus Book: 1870–1950
  • Art of Amy Brown Volume II
  • The End of Print: The Graphic Design of David Carson
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • The R. Crumb Coffee Table Art Book
  • Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures
Pin-Ups Photorealism The Great American Pin-Up Jeepers Peepers!: A Gallery of American Pin-Up Art Photorealism Since 1980