Start by marking “Diaries of a Dead African” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Diaries of a Dead African

Chuma Nwokolo Jr.

Diaries of a Dead African

Diaries of a Dead African is a merciless comedy that explores the life-threatening situations of three protagonists, the farmer Meme Jumai and his two sons - Abel (failed writer) and Calamatus (aspiring conman).

Meme's wife has left him with the bulk of his barn. He has a few tubers to last until harvest. Can he stretch it? Will his friends and relatives help out? Calamatu
Published April 2nd 2003 by Villagerhouse

To ask other readers questions about Diaries of a Dead African, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diaries of a Dead African

Wale
Mar 08, 2012 Wale rated it really liked it
Ever come across a book that you read and thoroughly enjoyed, and would recommend to anyone and everyone whether or not they were interested? Well, this is one of them. The best writing I've come across from a Nigerian/African author in a long time- no surprise there since I don't read much from the continent because of my own in-grained suspicions of an archaic writing style and thematic pre-occupations that have failed largely to evolve with changing times and keep pace with socio-cultural ...more
Brenda Kodawa
Jun 24, 2016 Brenda Kodawa rated it really liked it
I laughed so hard while reading this. Couldn't read it while using public transport. A tale of a man and his 2 sons set out in a diary form. Showing us the tribulations of cultural practices through the father's story and thereafter the second generation life issues through his sons. I loved Meme Jumai and Calama's narration. It was simple, honest and a pleasure to read. Abel however fell flat for me. I was almost annoyed by his style of narration, but never the less he had an interesting story ...more
Nana Fredua-Agyeman
Chuma Nwokolo's Diaries of a Dead African (Villager House, 2003; 193) is a story of two generations - a father and his two sons - spanning over just a month and recorded in one three-authored diary. The story is about their lack and their nothingness and their uselessness in the midst of plenty. It is also about human, and in general societal, behaviour towards the less privileged in society.

continue here http://freduagyeman.blogspot.com/2012...
Concillier Coco
Aug 21, 2016 Concillier Coco rated it it was amazing
If you want a good laugh, this is the book to read. I laughed through it all: from the misfortunes of Meme, his 'gold-digging' ex-wife, his Cornish son Calamatus, his other 'intellectual' son and the villagers- whose opinions on the family shifted depending on whether they had money or not. The ending was rather sad.
Felista Wangari
Apr 14, 2016 Felista Wangari rated it really liked it
The book is pretty short, but I made sure to read it slowly, to savour each page, because I just didn't want it to end. It is such a sweet read that takes you through a mix of emotions. It is one of the books you'll enjoy reading again.
Sari
Oct 06, 2014 Sari rated it really liked it
Shelves: african-writer
This book is roller coaster funny. You'll laugh, cry, cringe, gawk, cower, at almost every page turn. Can I call it very nicely written comedy, I think I can call it that! I'm African I could grasped the references and contexts, but it really is quick easy reading for everyone.
Tayo
Feb 29, 2012 Tayo rated it really liked it
I absolutely enjoyed reading this book. It went through a family written from each person's perspective and everyone's story is related, each entry answers the questions from the previous entry. I totally enjoyed reading this book especially the uncertainty at the end of the book.
EveyG
Apr 29, 2016 EveyG rated it it was amazing
This book is exceptional. It takes a special kind of writer to make you laugh out loud as you read a story so incredibly dark, it would break your heart in anyone else's hands. Just...wow.
Osotto Lulu  Opio
Sep 28, 2015 Osotto Lulu Opio rated it really liked it
I do not remember the last time I read a book as hilarious as this one. It tells a story of a man and his two sons in a society which regards them as `cursed. ...more
Ijeoma Simon
Ijeoma Simon rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Adebiyi Oluwafemi
Adebiyi Oluwafemi rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2012
Awuor
Awuor rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
William Wilson
William Wilson rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Nina Chachu
Nina Chachu rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Sunny
Sunny rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2014
Raziyah
Raziyah rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Grace Kenganzi
Grace Kenganzi rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Haroun Risa
Haroun Risa rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Julien
Julien rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Mimi Mofing
Mimi Mofing rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2014
Hazel
Hazel rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Paskaliah
Paskaliah rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Troy Onyango
Troy Onyango rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Marianna
Marianna rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2012
Monique
Monique rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015
Dee Getanda
Dee Getanda rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Kingsley Okechukwu
Kingsley Okechukwu rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016