Start by marking “Bet Me” as Want to Read:
Bet Me

Bet Me

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  60,131 ratings  ·  2,522 reviews
Minerva Dobbs knows that happily-ever-after is a fairy tale, especially with a man who asked her to dinner to win a bet. Even if he is gorgeous and successful Calvin Morrisey. Cal knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky as Min Dobbs. Even if she does wear great shoes and keeps him on his toes. When they say good-bye at the end of their evening, th ...more
Published August 31st 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bet Me, please sign up.

Eőri Veronika lilla It is my favorite book, i love all of the characters and the plot is fantastic! I can only recommend it to you! :))
Bet Me by Jennifer CrusieCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksIt Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Best Ever Contemporary Romance Books
1st out of 2,926 books — 6,192 voters
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBet Me by Jennifer CrusieWallbanger by Alice ClaytonMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNatural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Humorous Romance Books
2nd out of 2,036 books — 4,540 voters

More lists with this book...

D.G.
After reading this, I don’t think I’ll eat Chicken Marsala ever again.

The heroine of this book ate Chicken Marsala in two different restaurants, twice for takeout, at a wedding, at a dinner with her friends and cooked it 4 times with different levels of success. I don’t know if there’s anything more boring than a person who never tries anything new (if I’d been the hero, I’d have stopped dating her just because of this.)

I enjoyed the first part of the book – the humor was not over the top and
Lisa Jayne
Oct 05, 2013 Lisa Jayne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ROMANCE/CHIC LIT LOVERS.
Recommended to Lisa Jayne by: Anna
5 'DONUT' STARS.

description

A fabulously written book with plenty of heart and soul, low on the drama and high on the humour, 'Bet me' is a book that all romance lovers should have on their 'I need to read' shelves. My book heart was crying out for a chic-lit fix, so with a few recommendations for this book under my belt I decided to forge ahead and reconnect with my first love of reading style. This author did not disappoint 'Bet me' was a gorgeously funny and romantic escape and i'm left with a huge smile
Lady Heather

WOW!
Great story!
Excellent writing!
Amazing Characters!

Min..

Great decision!

Cal...

We KNOW you didn't make the bet

so..

.. in the end

it made me want to eat LOTS, AND LOTS of Krispy Kreme donuts!.. *sigh*
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 Beautifully Insane Stars

This book was...bizarre but so damn charming. It was full of light humour and absolutely free of drama. It is a book you read when you need something to pick you up. I'm so glad I read it!

The main characters were mostly insane...really. We have "Min" who after being dumbed by the world's biggest idiot goes into her "all men are pigs" phase, and we have "Calvin", the comitment-phobe, who gets entangled in a stupid bet against his will. They are our main couple. She is a
Sangr1a
Such a Treat!

This is my first Jen Crusie book and I can’t believe how long I’ve deprived myself from reading this book that I’ve had in my possession for months.

I’m not going to give you a book summary of what the book is about – you can read it when you pull the book up in Goodreads. But let me tell you this, I don’t read a lot of chic-lit books because they tend to fail to keep me interested, but this book surprised me. Not only did it keep hold my attention, but it kept me smiling and laughi
Mo
Until recently, this was not available on KINDLE in Europe and I really wanted to read it so what's a girl to do - had to order the paperback. Loved it. No sooner had I the paperback than it became available on KINDLE in Europe. What's a girl to do? Download it and read it again ... Great, great story.

Didi
4.5 STARS!

Sometimes I find myself discovering a new to me author, and thinking...WHERE THE HELL HAVE I BEEN?? Why haven't I heard of Jennifer Crusie before now? Despicable.
And because I'm late into the game, I won't bother explaining what this book is all about. I loved it. I loved Cal. Truly loved that dream of a book boyfriend. He was honest, sweet, considerate, giving, loving and an an all around true gentleman. The scene where they're eating chicken Marsala--umm...YUM!--and he describes how
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
Aug 22, 2014 Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE.
Recommended to Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ by: Lkay ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
5 STARS

You know when you read a great book when, not even in the middle of it, all you can think of is :

I was seriously beating myself up with this the whole time! It felt so good to read this book!

To sum it up quickly, I loved it for a lot of reasons but mainly :

1 - Dialogues
Jennifer Crusie knows how to make her characters talk! Vividly!

2 - Humor
I was really laughing out loud at some quotes or situations! This book is filled with sarcasm and high quality banter.
I know you stole me from my
Karla

5 Stars!! This is my 3rd time reading, or rather this go around I listened to the audio version. Still a 5 star book, the audio version was wonderful, and Deanna Hurst rocked the read. The story still had the same impact it did when I read it the first and second time. One of my favorite plump girl...full figure...curvy women reads! I smiled like an idiot from beginning to end! Calvin Morrisey is the sweetest guy ever...I love him!

Original review posted 2/11

Great book. Lots of fun, loads of laug
Duchess Nicole
I needed this book! It seems as if all of the books I read lately are such intense reads. Bet Me was the perfect reprieve. From the first page, it was just so much fun! I mean, she introduces her "R rated pixie" friend on like page five. The intro scene is Min in a bar with her friends while her boyfriend is breaking up with her. It's obvious that she couldn't care less. That is, until she overhears the bet being made with the "Hunka hunka burnin' love" standing next to her new ex.
Call is the p
Tea Jovanović
Drage moje, vidim da ste je mnoge pročitale... i da se većini dopala... drago mi je (kao uredniku knjige)... :) Jednom rečju, šta god da pročitate od ove autorke lepo ćete se zabaviti, nasmejati... Pravi laki, zabavni, i A klase "ženski" romani... Beach read :)
bibliophile (Romance Addict)

This book is HILARIOUS!! & CUTE!

photo tumblr_mw09vsYPLi1sd2ssjo1_500.gif

Story:

We meet Min, a woman who doesn't care much about her looks, and is characterized by her friends as plain. After breaking up with her boyfriend, she decides to go out to dinner with a guy who wants to win a bet on her. Calvin is gorgeous, and man whore, a guy who woman shouldn't get too close to, but when coincident plays in the role, Cal & Min gets closer together, and might possibly fall in love. However, will they last together?

“Nobody in my lif
Crystal~BIG book addict~
4.5 Betting Stars!

This was such a great book!! Jennifer Crusie writes a great love story with lots of humor. Thank you for picking it for me Alexandra!! You did good :O)

Zeek
Fantastic Contemporary Romance!

I've been wanting to read Bet Me for some time now after seeing all the good reviews- despite the fact I tried one or two other Cruise books awhile ago and wasn't all that hip to them. I liked them well enough but nothing really demanded she become an "autobuy" author. Bet Me might change that.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one!

Min Dobbs has everything a girl could want, good, stable job, close friends, who cares if she has less than ideal weight? And okay, in the men d
Samantha
God bless Chick-lit. Especially Chick-lit that's happy and filled with sexual tension and innuendo!

Here's the story: Min Dobbs (yes, horrible name, but it illustrates how 'plain' she sees herself) gets dumped in the opening sentences by David, who then meets up with God's gift to women, Cal Morrisey and bets him that Cal can't bed Min in a month (because David couldn't in two). At the exact same moment, Min and her girlfriends are checking out Cal and daring Min to go over to him. She does and o
Jasmin
Autumn
As i was reading this book i was trying to place a proper "feeling" to it,because even though it was a romantic comedy it deals with a lot of current issues woman struggle with in our society.

So, i will say what worked for me.

- I was very pleased with the premise of the book.that is to say i loved that it was based on typical characters that you can relate with. I liked the way Crusie developed Min with her self stem issues, and the way they fitted in the story. She didnt try to change her, or
⊱ Irena ⊰
An entertaining book. If I didn't sleep on it, it would probably be rated higher than I like it before I started thinking about its issues.

As usual, there are things that are great and those that are not. Before anything else, this will end up in I like it category because it made me laugh more than once. That would be the first good thing about it.
Next, I love that Min is thirty three and she is not skinny. She doesn't get skinny by the end of the book either.
Min enjoys food.
I read this book
Barbara M.
5 Stars...

What a fabulously outstanding hilarious read. The dialogue has to be just right for me to enjoy a book like this. There were more than one romance in the works, and a lot of characters interacting...but let me tell you...It was perfect!

This quirky and out of the Historical/Otherworldly genre box novel will have you laughing and pulling for this not so perfect girl.

Min is by today's standards chubby, therefore not like other ladies that grace the pages of our books. I'll be honest and a
valee
It was a sweet story, but more chick lit than contemporary romance. While I admit there are some moments when it's nice to read a light funny read, I must say they are not my favorites. In this type of reads I just feel like something's missing. I had a nice time reading this book but it didn't make an impression on me, I could have go on with my life just fine without having read it.

Maybe my main problem was that I never connected with the heroine. I usually like them strong, with a bad ass at
Cheryl
This was my first book that I have read by Jennifer Crusie. It was entertaining and I laughed out loud several times, but it also drove me nuts at the same time! So, I give it 3 1/2 stars!

I typically love a book where the hero and heroine have a love/hate relationship. You know, where their bodies love one another, coming alive and sizzling at the touch of the other, and yet their minds hate one another, telling themselves that they do not want to be in a relationship with this person and making
Bookgirl89
i got ill reading this book, i like chick-lit but this was way toooooo much. the "i love you but you're the devil" and the "she got so dizzy looking in to his dark eyes" thing got on my nerves!!!!!!!!!

the word dizzy is used more than 90 times in this book.

its not bad but its not good, this is the kind of book to read when you have nothing else to do. nothing at all, nothing on TV, no good books, no one to call, its raining outside and you can go out, you also can't fall asleep or feel like eat
I really liked this one. The story focuses on Minerva Dobbs - and 33 year old overweight woman who just got dumped. While at the bar with girlfriends she overhears her jerk ex-boyfriend bet one of his friends (Calvin Morrisey - hunk alert!) that he can't take her home and do the horizontal tango. Minerva decides to screw with them both by stringing Calvin along. Her evil ex dumped her just before her sisters wedding so she figures this will be perfect - she can bring the hunky lap dog with her a ...more
Eh?Eh!
I've been too negative lately. This is a romance - you can probably guess what the usual rant points would be? Let's skip them, then. What I did like:

-The loving of food, even though it was mostly for Krispy Kremes and chicken marsala. I do want to try this marsala thing now.

-The banter, mostly that between the men. I prefer a good d*ck joke to situational lady humor because I'm coarse.

-One of the characters laid out her dreams and it was...beautiful. Yes, she wanted to marry her prince, but tha
Becky
This book is unbelievable. No really... A stray cat that likes Elvis and can work the CD player AND attacks sleazeballs? Come on! Everyone knows that cats hate everyone... not just sleazeballs. Completely unrealistic.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it. I'm not the chick-lit type, but I've learned that I enjoy contemporary romance from time to time... particularly when there's humor involved. And there was a lot of it in this one, which made it enormously fun to read. I kept laughing out loud a
Kathylill
This is going to be different from the reviews I normally write. Not so much a review as a personal note about accepting yourself and finding joy. Because this book is exactly about this: accepting your true self.

If you want to listen to a wonderful Italian song, then search for “Al Bano & Romina Power” and the song “Felicitá” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdFXe...). It’s one of my favorite love songs of all time. Love, not so much for someone else, but being able to enjoy yourself, bein
Blacky *Romance Addict*
It's a nice story, lovely main characters, but it gets 3 stars from me because of the friends. Very veeeery anoying, I actually skipped some parts with them cause they were getting on my nerves, especially Lisa. Without them the book would get a 5.
Jen
Oh, Christ, I gave her a feral cat

I adore this book and I'm currently on my 58th reread, approximately. Any book that can rouse my hunger for both chicken marsala and serious shoe shopping at the same time is a winner.
Allison (The Allure of Books)
If I had to chose a book to be my best friend, I'd choose this one. I have read it many times. If something horrible is going on in my life, you can bet that it won't be long before I pick up my (rather worn) copy of this. If I have a few unexpected days off (like say, during the recent snow storm)...this is the comfort read I'll be sinking into.

Jennifer Crusie's brand of humor is all her own. Every single character is infused with something that makes them feel so real - maybe that is why I lov
Maggie
I keep getting sucked into those Criminal Minds marathons on ION and A&E and it's totally messing with my psyche and my friendships -- psyche because I'm dreaming about a gunman outside my childhood home; friendships because I think my friends are sick of me calling at 1am after encountering a potential "unsub." I tried to counterbalance that by reading some romance, but Kristan Higgins' female characters made me want the story to turn into Criminal Minds.

I mentioned this to my awesome book
Goodreads Librari...: Quote from book 3 24 Mar 22, 2015 08:39PM
Are books like Bet Me ruining my future love life 24 296 Oct 13, 2014 01:38PM
Love it 11 96 Oct 01, 2014 08:01AM
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • He Loves Lucy
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • Lord Perfect  (Carsington Brothers, #3)
  • Tall Tales and Wedding Veils (Playboys, #2)
  • Red Hot Renegade (Bennett #5)
  • Practice Makes Perfect
  • One Good Reason
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • All I Ever Wanted
  • And One Last Thing ...
19005
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
More about Jennifer Crusie...
Welcome to Temptation (Dempseys, #1) Anyone But You Agnes and the Hitman Faking It (Dempseys #2) Crazy For You

“Nobody in my life has ever known me the way you do. Nobody in my life has ever made me feel as good as you do. You know me, you know everything about me, and when you leave me, you're going to be leaving the real me, the me nobody else has ever seen, that's who you're going to be rejecting.” 227 likes
“I'm Min's fairy godmother, Charm Boy,' Liza said, frowning down at him. 'And if you don't give her a happily ever after, I'm going to come back and beat you to death with a snow globe.'

What happened to "bibbity bobbity boo"?' Cal asked Min.

That was Disney, honey,' Min said. 'It wasn't a documentary.”
187 likes