Start by marking “Where Is God?: Finding His Presence, Purpose and Power in Difficult Times” as Want to Read:
Where Is God?: Finding His Presence, Purpose and Power in Difficult Times

Where Is God?: Finding His Presence, Purpose and Power in Difficult Times

Hard times make us look for God.

Everyone has problems. But if we could solve all our difficulties ourselves, would we ever search for God? Psychologist John Townsend says "It is actually the very unfixability of our problems and our powerlessness to bring right results that keep us asking, 'Where is God?'"

With a compelling narrative, Townsend offers new insights into the p
Published December 1st 2009 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Where Is God?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Is God?

Stephen Escalera
Dec 21, 2010 Stephen Escalera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A family member of mine recently went through a tragic loss and I found myself wondering where the goodness of God was in all this. I remember saying to myself, "That's just not fair!" It was shortly after this that I had the opportunity to review two books, both on the subject of pain, suffering and the providence of God. It's amazing to me how some books that we happen upon are needed at just that particular moment in life. These books - one was John Piper's newest book, A Sweet & Bitter P ...more
Ryan
This book hits a tender spot in every reader, for we’ve all had pain, trauma, or some sort of suffering where we ask ourselves, “Where is God in the midst of my suffering?” Dr. John Townsend spends the first few chapters of Where is God? presenting the theological problem and premise of the book: Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do people, who faithfully serve God and genuinely love Him, experience loss, pain, and suffering? Though the question sounds like your going to be in for a q ...more
Amydeanne
Jan 20, 2010 Amydeanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So where is God? This is a questions a lot, if not all people ask, at one point or another in their lives.

Dr. Townsend breaks it down into two view points

* the true questioning of where is – actually seeking him
* and the not actual question but rather that nagging voice we often use when we want things our way – we don’t want to accept the answer

I think the easiest way to explain the “where is God?” search is what Dr. Townsend says in his book about a son asking his father to borrow the car. T
Jody
Feb 01, 2010 Jody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I finally finished reading Where Is God? by John Townsend. I received this book free to review from the Thomas Nelson Publishers.

There is never enough for me to say about John Townsend the author of Boundaries. I have always enjoyed reading pretty much anything he writes. I am sure like many others in the world we wonder when something awful happens in our lives or even in the world, where is God?

John answers so many of our questions about where God is when we need him the most. I enjoyed how D
Cori
Mar 08, 2010 Cori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book had such a neat cover. It’s impossible to tell in the cover photo, but the words “Where is God?” are only printed with a shiny varnish coating — so at certain angles you can’t tell there’s a title on the book at all. It’s a wonderfully appropriate cover for this book — kudos to the design team at TN.

The content of this book, I felt, was nothing new. People have been struggling with theodicy (the problem of evil/pain) since the beginning of time. But Townsend avoided the headier academi
Amanda
Jan 31, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where Is God written by Dr. John Townsend addresses that question that many of us feel when life gets tough. Dr. Townsend uses personal accounts and scripture that illustrate his points. He starts off with looking at the type of problems people have that begin them asking the question. According to Dr. Townsend these can be relational, functional, health issues or catastrophes. The rest of the book address personal growth and the journey to that growth.

Dr. Townsend begins to look at God himself
Linda B
Feb 15, 2010 Linda B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In our darkest hours we cry out to God “Where are you?” It often doesn’t matter how close our relationship has been, in those days of heartache, we don’t always see His work or feel His presence. Having lived in that darkness, I am drawn to books that offer help for the suffering Christian. There are only a handful of books written for struggling or suffering Christians that I recommend. This book, Where is God? by Dr. John Townsend, is one I will highly recommend.

Spiritual pain is often worse t
Meleah Allard
Jul 04, 2014 Meleah Allard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book for anyone but especially for those going through a particularly hard time and finding it hard to connect with God. John's personal stories as well as those of his clients were very relevant to the subject matter and inspiring.
Sarah K
Sarah K rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Kenny
Kenny rated it really liked it
May 18, 2013
Portia
Portia rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Richellelee
Richellelee rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2012
Justin Farley
Justin Farley rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Rodrigo Hurtado
Rodrigo Hurtado rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Kristy
Kristy rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2010
Sarah Hurliman
Sarah Hurliman rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2013
Bonnie Westmark
Bonnie Westmark rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Em-a Sanchez
Em-a Sanchez rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2017
Taralibby
Taralibby rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2013
Victorious Cafe
Victorious Cafe rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2010
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2010
Steveo
Steveo rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2012
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2010
Abigail
Abigail rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2012
William Dutton
William Dutton rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Kristy
Kristy rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2010
Dr. John Townsend is a psychologist, popular speaker, co-host of the nationally broadcast New Life Live! radio program, and a cofounder of the Cloud-Townsend Clinic and Cloud-Townsend Resources. He has written or co-written twenty-seven books, including the bestselling Boundaries, Safe People, and Hiding from Love. He and his wife, Barbi, live in southern California. They have two grown sons.
More about John Townsend...