The Case of the Roasted Onion (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie, #1)

The Case of the Roasted Onion (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie #1)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Meet the McKenzies.

On their farm nestled in upstate Trumansburg, New York, veterinarian Austin McKenzie and his wife Madeline keep themselves busy looking after a variety of ailing farm animals and pets in poor health. But while they may be able to mend creatures great and small, they have yet to find a cure for murder.
Published September 5th 2006 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Roasted Onion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Roasted Onion

ChrisGA
This was the very definition of a cozy mystery--gentle and slower paced,with ordinary folks as the sleuths. In this case we have a retired vet school professor forced to open a vet practice due to bad financial investments, his patient and loving wife, and two young students who serve as his vet assistants. They form a investigative team to solve the mystery of serial vet murders, insurance scams and other skullduggery. Likeable characters but it dragged a bit too much for me even though cozies...more
Susan Ferguson
Did not realize until I read the notes about the author that Claudia Bishop also writes as Mary Stanton. I like several of Mary Stanton's books, so I should have known. This isn't written quite the same way, but still...
Austin McKenzie is a vet in upper New York state. He and his wife Madeline live on a small farm with a few animals. He has retired from teaching, so he's getting older but he still tries to handle the practise himself. Madeline is concerned about him. The he learns from a friend...more
Diane  Morasco
This warm series features veterinarian Austin McKenzie and his wife Madeline.Austin a retired professor at Cornell University has always loved caring for his pets and spending time with his loving wife Madeline. As the bills piled up, Austin had to come out of retirement and open a veterinarian office.The Mckenzie's farm is located in Trumansburg. Trumansburg is a village in Tompkins County, New York.

The Mckenzie farm is brimming with farm pets.When Austin is offered the opportunity to be the v...more
Roberta
I picked this book up because it is set in rural upstate NY. It reminded me how nice it would be to have a Wegmans where I live now. Highly recommended to readers who enjoy quirky characters who love animals. I found a couple errors involving how murder victims were killed that the editor should have caught, if they still have editors. I would certainly read other books in the series if I come across them.
Christina
This cozy was a little different from the normal for me. It has horses and veterinary, which neither one I know too much about. I did enjoy the character and the plot. I will be reading more in this series. I liked the fondness for animals, as parts of the book reminded me of myself with animals.
Sara
I love this author's Hemlock Fall series so I figured I'd chance reading this book. It was a little slow at first, but different characters called for a little different style and in no time I was thoroughly enjoying it. I look forward to reading others in the series.
Jan
slow to get into, but pretty good mystery. interesting info regarding veterinary medicine. look forward to developments with 4 main characters in next books in series.
Susanna
The Dr. McKenzie series is light mystery reading. If you like animals and light mysteries, you'll like the three books (so far) in this series.
Toni berkshire
Liked this book - subtley witty, very horsey, very clearly written by someone who loves animals and enjoys life. Hope there are more to come.
Eileen
This author, Claudia Bishop seems to have two different series.
The Dr. McKenzie (vet) series, sounded like it might be a
good read.
Carol
I don't know much about horses, but I liked the characters in this book. The plot was also good, with twist and turns and several suspects.
Donna
needed better editing. Bottle in stall referred to as plastic then as glass. Other editing issues also. For a young adult reader.
Janell
Average murder mystery but the characters made me chuckle and were just eccentric enough to warrant an extra star. :-)
Meredith
Very good book. The mystery had me going until close to the very end.
Lindig
Too much like a Sherlock Holmes homage.
Annette Dashofy
Too many flaws regarding firearms.
Karen
This was a fun little mystery
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Nicole Hamilton
Nicole Hamilton marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Penguins
Penguins marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
M M
M M marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Pamela K
Pamela K marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Claudia Bishop is the nom de plume of mystery & fantasy author Mary Stanton.
More about Claudia Bishop...
A Taste for Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #1) A Dash of Death (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #2) A Pinch of Poison (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #3) Death Dines Out (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #5) Murder Well-Done (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #4)