Start by marking “The Case of the Roasted Onion (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Roasted Onion (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie, #1)

The Case of the Roasted Onion (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie #1)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  149 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Meet the McKenzies.

On their farm nestled in upstate Trumansburg, New York, veterinarian Austin McKenzie and his wife Madeline keep themselves busy looking after a variety of ailing farm animals and pets in poor health. But while they may be able to mend creatures great and small, they have yet to find a cure for murder.
Published September 5th 2006 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Roasted Onion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Roasted Onion

ChrisGA
This was the very definition of a cozy mystery--gentle and slower paced,with ordinary folks as the sleuths. In this case we have a retired vet school professor forced to open a vet practice due to bad financial investments, his patient and loving wife, and two young students who serve as his vet assistants. They form a investigative team to solve the mystery of serial vet murders, insurance scams and other skullduggery. Likeable characters but it dragged a bit too much for me even though cozies ...more
Catsalive
Jul 14, 2016 Catsalive rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

On their farm nestled in upstate Summersville, New York, veterinarian Austin McKenzie and his wife, Madeline, keep themselves busy looking after a variety of ailing farm animals and pets in poor health. But while they may be able to mend creatures great and small, they have yet to find a cure for murder...

Austin has never been a fan of high-society horseplay. So when he's invited to be the veterinary delegate to the Earlsdown Three-Day Event, he bluntly r
Kristina
May 17, 2016 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was stinking hilarious. Loved every bit of it. Surprised there are only 3 in the series.
Susan Ferguson
Did not realize until I read the notes about the author that Claudia Bishop also writes as Mary Stanton. I like several of Mary Stanton's books, so I should have known. This isn't written quite the same way, but still...
Austin McKenzie is a vet in upper New York state. He and his wife Madeline live on a small farm with a few animals. He has retired from teaching, so he's getting older but he still tries to handle the practise himself. Madeline is concerned about him. The he learns from a friend
Diane  Morasco
This warm series features veterinarian Austin McKenzie and his wife Madeline.Austin a retired professor at Cornell University has always loved caring for his pets and spending time with his loving wife Madeline. As the bills piled up, Austin had to come out of retirement and open a veterinarian office.The Mckenzie's farm is located in Trumansburg. Trumansburg is a village in Tompkins County, New York.

The Mckenzie farm is brimming with farm pets.When Austin is offered the opportunity to be the v
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Casebook of Dr. Mckenzie, Bk 1, Claudia Bishop, PB-B @ 2006, 2/08. When horses and veterinarians die under mysterious causes, Dr. Mckenzie steps in to help solve the case. Okay.
Roberta
I picked this book up because it is set in rural upstate NY. It reminded me how nice it would be to have a Wegmans where I live now. Highly recommended to readers who enjoy quirky characters who love animals. I found a couple errors involving how murder victims were killed that the editor should have caught, if they still have editors. I would certainly read other books in the series if I come across them.
Christina
This cozy was a little different from the normal for me. It has horses and veterinary, which neither one I know too much about. I did enjoy the character and the plot. I will be reading more in this series. I liked the fondness for animals, as parts of the book reminded me of myself with animals.
Sara
Mar 09, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this author's Hemlock Fall series so I figured I'd chance reading this book. It was a little slow at first, but different characters called for a little different style and in no time I was thoroughly enjoying it. I look forward to reading others in the series.
Jan
Mar 18, 2012 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
slow to get into, but pretty good mystery. interesting info regarding veterinary medicine. look forward to developments with 4 main characters in next books in series.
Jtomassetti
Jan 13, 2016 Jtomassetti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
THE ROASTED ONION by Claudia Bishop was an entertaining book. However, as a horse mystery, any book by Dick Francis is better than this book.
Susanna
Jan 13, 2011 Susanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dr. McKenzie series is light mystery reading. If you like animals and light mysteries, you'll like the three books (so far) in this series.
Toni berkshire
Jul 04, 2008 Toni berkshire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked this book - subtley witty, very horsey, very clearly written by someone who loves animals and enjoys life. Hope there are more to come.
Eileen
Mar 31, 2009 Eileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author, Claudia Bishop seems to have two different series.
The Dr. McKenzie (vet) series, sounded like it might be a
good read.
Carol
Nov 19, 2007 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know much about horses, but I liked the characters in this book. The plot was also good, with twist and turns and several suspects.
Donna
May 25, 2012 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
needed better editing. Bottle in stall referred to as plastic then as glass. Other editing issues also. For a young adult reader.
Janell
Apr 17, 2012 Janell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Average murder mystery but the characters made me chuckle and were just eccentric enough to warrant an extra star. :-)
Meredith
Nov 10, 2010 Meredith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: claudia-bishop
Very good book. The mystery had me going until close to the very end.
Lindig
Jun 13, 2009 Lindig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Too much like a Sherlock Holmes homage.
Annette Dashofy
Too many flaws regarding firearms.
Karen
Apr 28, 2009 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun little mystery
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Trixie
Trixie rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Valerie Gleeson
Valerie Gleeson rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Chriss
Chriss added it
Jun 26, 2016
Maya McMullan
Maya McMullan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Sarah Derosier
Sarah Derosier is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2016
Vivian
Vivian marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Angel at Troublesome Creek (Augusta Goodnight #1)
  • Killer Stuff (Jane Wheel, #1)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)
  • Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)
  • Murder Can Mess Up Your Mascara (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #12)
  • Nothing to Fear But Ferrets (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-sitter Mystery, #2)
  • A Killer Crop (Orchard, #4)
  • Nine Lives Last Forever (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #2)
  • Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2)
  • The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5)
  • Murder Off the Books (Sullivan Investigations Mystery, #1)
  • Knot In My Backyard (A Quilting Mystery, #2)
Claudia Bishop is the nom de plume of mystery & fantasy author Mary Stanton.
More about Claudia Bishop...

The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie (3 books)
  • The Case of the Tough-Talking Turkey (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie, #2)
  • The Case of the Ill-Gotten Goat