Start by marking “Le Nouveau Space Opera” as Want to Read:
Le Nouveau Space Opera

Le Nouveau Space Opera (The New Space Opera #1)

The brightest names in science fiction pen all-new tales of space and wonder.

Contents
1 • Introduction (The New Space Opera) • (2007) • essay by Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan
6 • Saving Tiamaat • (2007) • shortstory by Gwyneth Jones
24 • Verthandi's Ring • (2007) • shortstory by Ian McDonald
39 • Hatch • [The Great Ship Universe] • (2007) • shortstory by Robert Reed
66 •
Published (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Le Nouveau Space Opera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Nouveau Space Opera

Stefan
"The New Space Opera" is a somewhat deceptively titled but otherwise very good collection of short stories by what the editors refer to as "new space opera" authors. I put "somewhat deceptively" because, in my opinion, most of the stories don't really qualify as space opera. Space opera is a sub-genre of SF, consisting of over-the-top, galaxy-wide adventure stories, often with larger than life heroes, usually containing lots of space ships, dealing with a numbers of planets or galaxies or even u ...more
Danielle Parker
Jan 05, 2010 Danielle Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: ‘The New Space Opera”, Edited by Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan
Harper-Collins, 2007
ISBN 978-0-06-084675-6
515 pages

I’ve always enjoyed Dozois’s anthologies for two reasons: his thoughtful introductions, and the fact the man has a clear sense of taste. His taste comes through in all his choices, even if it’s not always what I’d have chosen to swallow. He likes what he likes, and at least he knows what that is. I like that about an editor.
So first, how do Dozois and his fellow ed
Terence
Nothing terribly impressive in this collection.

I had already read the two standouts - "Minla's Flowers" (Alastair Reynolds) and "Muse of Fire" (Dan Simmons). Of the remaining, the best is Tony Daniel's "The Valley of the Gardens" and the absolute worst is Robert Silverberg's "The Emperor and the Maula," a retelling of The Arabian Nights.

My dissatisfaction with many of these stories is philosophical more than literary. There's a tendency in the New Space Opera and other hard-SF novels toward a co
Florin Pitea
Mar 04, 2017 Florin Pitea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superb anthology courtesy of Messrs. Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan. Definitely worth a second reading. Highly recommended. Mr. Dan Simmons's "Muse of Fire" is unforgettable.
David

“Splinters of Glas
Ron Henry
Jan 05, 2009 Ron Henry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good collection.

The term "new space opera" -- like other trendy genre labels of recent decades such as "cyberpunk" and "slipstream" -- seems all too vaguely defined. In this case perhaps it's little more than a marketing tag, or to be more generous, "what the editors think is cool this year." That's a quibble, I suppose, since it still resulted in a nice anthology, even if a number of the stories really didn't fit the editors' own description of "new space opera."

The only two stories I rea
Chris Perrin
So far, this book isn't thrilling me. The stories are okay, but the book feels like it's thumbing its nose at what I always thought space opera was: from Star Wars to the Honor Harrington.

Basically, the New Space Opera would feel like the Old Hard Science Fiction if not for the foreward which basically says that the familiar tropes of current science fiction (hence everything in the collection): huge ships, FTL, etc. are impossible and cannot happen.

Leave it to science fiction to take all the fu
Denise
Jul 02, 2014 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evidently the New space opera is not much to my taste, since it seemingly involves a lot more space than opera these days (notwithstanding the last story, by Dan Simmons, which is about half Shakespeare.) Galactic empires are only fun if you have Han and Luke, R2 and Chewy, an Ewok or two - heroes, that is, with something to fight for. Otherwise it's all Rosencrantz and Guildenstern waiting for Godot, pointless and not even tragic.

But I loved the Kage Baker story.
Guy
Jan 04, 2010 Guy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of SF short stories. Not all of them are space opera in the classic sense of the term, but since they are all good that will trouble only the pedants among us. If you are looking for new authors to read (or more from authors you already know you like), this is a good resource.
Mark
Dec 12, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of short fiction in the SF and Fantasy genre, but I rarely read an entire anthology from cover-to-cover. This is one of those where my effort was rewarded; every story is worth checking out.
Deborah Cooke
Mar 26, 2016 Deborah Cooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love anthologies because you can read one story, think on it, then come back later for an entirely different story. I particularly like when the authors are new to me. Gwyneth Jones story is brilliant. I need to read more of her work.
Vladimir Vázquez
A través de este libro me he dado cuenta que mi subgénero favorito sigue vigente y vibrante, pero también he notado algo curioso, el ciberpunk, y la hard scifi, se han fundido con la Space Opera, quiero decir, en estas historias, los autores asumen que el lector ya entiende lo que es un mundo virtual, asumen que el lector ya comprende lo que son nanites (al punto de darles otro nombre y ni siquiera detenerse a explicarlos) y entonces utilizan esos elementos en los argumentos clásicos del viaje i ...more
Tracy B

***** Blessed by an Angel • (2007) • shortstory by Peter F. Hamilton
*** Who's Afraid of Wolf 359? • shortstory by Ken MacLeod
**** * The
Sadie Mayo
I listened to this book. To be completely honest I chose it based solely on the title, Space Opera. I assumed it would be about some sort of outer space opera. I was wrong, although one of the stories did have a theater theme.

This was a interesting menagerie of mostly enjoyable short stories. I gave it a three star rating because it had some unreadable stories and some absolutely brilliant ones.
Florin Constantinescu
One of the best all sci-fi original anthology I have read.
Somehow it happened that Strahan & Dozois chose a large list of authors which I like and follow, and very strong stories from them: McAuley, Hamilton, Reynolds, Baxter, Silverberg, Simmons.
Remaining stories are above average as well, there are no fillers here.
Ron
Aug 03, 2015 Ron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 1/2 stars. This is a collection of stories that I expected to be more or less excellent and brilliant, but I ended up pretty disappointed. I was surprised by having several stories that I simply didn't like at all or thought were just too strange. Some were actually boring. I won't try to review or critique each of the 18 stories, although I'll comment on most. Every one of these stories is by an established and well regarded author. A number of the stories in the collection I felt were rather ...more
Rob
Mar 28, 2008 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rob by: B^2
This is a good/borderline-great collection of sci-fi shorts compiled and edited by Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan. It has a great introduction that proffers a decent definition of the term "space opera", from its inception, through its disparaging adolescence, and now into its renaissance[†]. It has a great cast of authors but... And I feel bad saying this but: I really don't think that it's a collection of "best werk" from all of these authors. Most of the stories are at least good (★★★ on ...more
Paul
Aug 03, 2007 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The New Space Opera, Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan (ed.), Eos Books, 2007

Space opera has been defined as "colorful action-adventure stories of interplanetary or interstellar conflict." These new, never before published stories are tales of aliens and alien cultures, not just interstellar war stories.

A pair of human researchers change their species to investigate a scientific anomaly on another planet. A group of traveling Shakespearean actors give the performances of their lives for the al
Dynagrip
Some decent stories in here but because it's an anthology there are some terrible ones as well. Dan Simmons finished it up with a relatively strong entry, Muse of Fire. Gregory Benford's The Worm Turns was uh, not so good.

I skipped Mary Rosenbaum's story because it was clearly going to be utterly offal (see what I did there?). For some reason there are very few female genre writers that can write male characters at all. To be fair there are many genre writers (of any gender) that don't write wel
Stephanie Griffin
The trouble with reading a 515 page book of short stories is that by the time I finish it I can't remember all of the plotlines. I was sure that if I just marked the ones I enjoyed as I went along it would be sufficient enough to at least remember those. No. So I give you a list of the ones I marked, and the one story that did stand out enough for me to choose it as my favorite.

SAVING TIAMAAT - Gwyneth Jones
WINNING PEACE - Paul J. McAuley
MAELSTROM - Kage Baker
WHO'S AFRAID OF WOLF 359? - Ken Macl
Pat Beard
If this is the new I think I like the old better, But thankfully I don't think that it really is the new since I have read some really fine current space opera.

As with any anthology some stories I liked some I really didn't like some were lukewarm but none of these really made me enthusiastic to read more. Too bad. My intro to SF was as a young teen with a library that was restrictive in policies - "You may only check out 5 books at a time." Never mind that I lived in the country and, disliking
Brian
I love space opera. Big galactic wars, spaceships as big as cities, empires that stretch across galaxies, big ideas, and fun to read in a light popcorn summer-movie way.

Unfortunately to many of these short stories aren't space opera at all - merely mediocre science fiction stories.

There are a few standouts; Dan Simmons does his usual terrific job at short fiction with "Muse of Fire" - who knew that Shakespeare will save us all in the future? Alastair Reynolds "Minla's Flowers" details how to adv
Ezreal
Many of the 18 stories play with the scope that characterizes classic space opera. In Greg Egan's Glory, creatures embody themselves as aliens to perform archeological research, only to get caught up in a struggle between two worlds. Robert Reed's Hatch, limited in locale to the hull of a giant ship, proves that the scope of the struggle for life is always epic. Stephen Baxter's Remembrance walks a line between the personal and the global as resisters against Earth's conquerors remember one man' ...more
Cissa
Feb 07, 2009 Cissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good stories. A lot of them are not exactly what I'd call "space opera" in the traditional sense, but they're good nonetheless.

I'm now about 2/3rds of the way through, and most of the stories are excellent. I've picked up a few new-to-me author's names to read more- always a plus! One nice thing about this anthology is that the stories are pretty long- generally at least 30 pages- so one can get a better idea of an author's style than with very short stories.

ETA: An EXCELLENT set of novel
Chris
Aug 15, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sffantasy, stories
Some good stories - the Kage Baker and the Ken MacLeod were stand-outs - and it does better than Aldiss's A Science Fiction Omnibus in the representation-of-women department. But my yardstick of 33% women is *not* a high bar, and Dozois still lambadas comfortably under it, so it loses a star.

I also note that, AFAICT, all writers are white, and all come from the Anglosphere.
Martin Mcgoey
Jul 29, 2011 Martin Mcgoey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Some very hard sci-fi in this collection. Several stories were difficult for me to get through since I'm relatively new to the genre and have noticed that sci-fi authors tend to focus more on tech-y stuff and world building than character development. By far the best piece in the collection was Dan Simmons's "Muse of Fire." It certainly made the collection worthwhile after suffering through some of the slower pieces at the beginning of the collection. Even though Simmons's piece is the longest, ...more
Katie
May 26, 2010 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh. MAN.
This book is the reason why I love science fiction. I can't say enough good things about this anthology, so I won't say much. It took me a while to finish it since I was saving it for my breaks at work, but it was good to savor it. Sometimes I had to put it down in between stories just so I could absorb them, mull them over like a fine wine, and just daydream a while.
Excellent, excellent read.
Paul
May 17, 2011 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Superb compilation of sci-fi novels, a number from folks I'd never heard of and the majority of the rest from folks who's work I've seen but never touched. This is well worth picking up if you a) have read the entire back catalogue of all your favourite authors and need to find someone new or b) enjoy shorts as all are at least good if not better than good stories.
Catherine
I found the earlier stories in the collection pretty slow going. Things started to pick up with Mary Rosenblum's "Splintered Glass" and were increasingly good until the last story. I had a little trouble with this one, Dan Simmons's "Muse of Fire" at first, but it turned out to be quite meaningful in the end.
I enjoyed the second New Space Opera collection more than this one.
iamtedae
Sep 24, 2007 iamtedae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memorable
This is a collection of "all-new stories of science fiction adventure", and as such is a little difficult to review; overall, pretty darn good. This was the first time I've encountered the term "space opera", but I guess it fits: grand, sweeping, intense. It was hard to get started because I've apparently become quite the flabby fiction reader, but once I did it was wow! and away we go...
  • The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • Fast Forward
  • Zima Blue and Other Stories
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...

The New Space Opera (2 books)
  • The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure