Start by marking “Le Nouveau Space Opera” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Le Nouveau Space Opera

Gardner R. Dozois

Le Nouveau Space Opera (The New Space Opera #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  632 ratings  ·  63 reviews
The brightest names in science fiction pen all-new tales of space and wonder.

Contents
1 • Introduction (The New Space Opera) • (2007) • essay by Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan
6 • Saving Tiamaat • (2007) • shortstory by Gwyneth Jones
24 • Verthandi's Ring • (2007) • shortstory by Ian McDonald
39 • Hatch • [The Great Ship Universe] • (2007) • shortstory by Robert Reed
66 •...more
Published (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Le Nouveau Space Opera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Nouveau Space Opera

Stefan
"The New Space Opera" is a somewhat deceptively titled but otherwise very good collection of short stories by what the editors refer to as "new space opera" authors. I put "somewhat deceptively" because, in my opinion, most of the stories don't really qualify as space opera. Space opera is a sub-genre of SF, consisting of over-the-top, galaxy-wide adventure stories, often with larger than life heroes, usually containing lots of space ships, dealing with a numbers of planets or galaxies or even u...more
Danielle Parker
Book Review: ‘The New Space Opera”, Edited by Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan
Harper-Collins, 2007
ISBN 978-0-06-084675-6
515 pages

I’ve always enjoyed Dozois’s anthologies for two reasons: his thoughtful introductions, and the fact the man has a clear sense of taste. His taste comes through in all his choices, even if it’s not always what I’d have chosen to swallow. He likes what he likes, and at least he knows what that is. I like that about an editor.
So first, how do Dozois and his fellow ed...more
Terence
Nothing terribly impressive in this collection.

I had already read the two standouts - "Minla's Flowers" (Alastair Reynolds) and "Muse of Fire" (Dan Simmons). Of the remaining, the best is Tony Daniel's "The Valley of the Gardens" and the absolute worst is Robert Silverberg's "The Emperor and the Maula," a retelling of The Arabian Nights.

My dissatisfaction with many of these stories is philosophical more than literary. There's a tendency in the New Space Opera and other hard-SF novels toward a co...more
Ron
Very good collection.

The term "new space opera" -- like other trendy genre labels of recent decades such as "cyberpunk" and "slipstream" -- seems all too vaguely defined. In this case perhaps it's little more than a marketing tag, or to be more generous, "what the editors think is cool this year." That's a quibble, I suppose, since it still resulted in a nice anthology, even if a number of the stories really didn't fit the editors' own description of "new space opera."

The only two stories I rea...more
Chris Perrin
So far, this book isn't thrilling me. The stories are okay, but the book feels like it's thumbing its nose at what I always thought space opera was: from Star Wars to the Honor Harrington.

Basically, the New Space Opera would feel like the Old Hard Science Fiction if not for the foreward which basically says that the familiar tropes of current science fiction (hence everything in the collection): huge ships, FTL, etc. are impossible and cannot happen.

Leave it to science fiction to take all the fu...more
David

“Dividing the Sustain” by James Patrick Kelly - 4
“Minla’s Flowers” by Alastair Reynolds - 5
“Splinters of Glas...more
Guy
An excellent collection of SF short stories. Not all of them are space opera in the classic sense of the term, but since they are all good that will trouble only the pedants among us. If you are looking for new authors to read (or more from authors you already know you like), this is a good resource.
Mark
I read a lot of short fiction in the SF and Fantasy genre, but I rarely read an entire anthology from cover-to-cover. This is one of those where my effort was rewarded; every story is worth checking out.
Dynagrip
Some decent stories in here but because it's an anthology there are some terrible ones as well. Dan Simmons finished it up with a relatively strong entry, Muse of Fire. Gregory Benford's The Worm Turns was uh, not so good.

I skipped Mary Rosenbaum's story because it was clearly going to be utterly offal (see what I did there?). For some reason there are very few female genre writers that can write male characters at all. To be fair there are many genre writers (of any gender) that don't write wel...more
Vladimir Vasquez
A través de este libro me he dado cuenta que mi subgénero favorito sigue vigente y vibrante, pero también he notado algo curioso, el ciberpunk, y la hard scifi, se han fundido con la Space Opera, quiero decir, en estas historias, los autores asumen que el lector ya entiende lo que es un mundo virtual, asumen que el lector ya comprende lo que son nanites (al punto de darles otro nombre y ni siquiera detenerse a explicarlos) y entonces utilizan esos elementos en los argumentos clásicos del viaje i...more
Rob
Nov 06, 2008 Rob rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rob by: B^2
This is a good/borderline-great collection of sci-fi shorts compiled and edited by Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan. It has a great introduction that proffers a decent definition of the term "space opera", from its inception, through its disparaging adolescence, and now into its renaissance[†]. It has a great cast of authors but... And I feel bad saying this but: I really don't think that it's a collection of "best werk" from all of these authors. Most of the stories are at least good (★★★ on...more
Paul
The New Space Opera, Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan (ed.), Eos Books, 2007

Space opera has been defined as "colorful action-adventure stories of interplanetary or interstellar conflict." These new, never before published stories are tales of aliens and alien cultures, not just interstellar war stories.

A pair of human researchers change their species to investigate a scientific anomaly on another planet. A group of traveling Shakespearean actors give the performances of their lives for the al...more
Denise
Evidently the New space opera is not much to my taste, since it seemingly involves a lot more space than opera these days (notwithstanding the last story, by Dan Simmons, which is about half Shakespeare.) Galactic empires are only fun if you have Han and Luke, R2 and Chewy, an Ewok or two - heroes, that is, with something to fight for. Otherwise it's all Rosencrantz and Guildenstern waiting for Godot, pointless and not even tragic.

But I loved the Kage Baker story.
Stephanie Griffin
The trouble with reading a 515 page book of short stories is that by the time I finish it I can't remember all of the plotlines. I was sure that if I just marked the ones I enjoyed as I went along it would be sufficient enough to at least remember those. No. So I give you a list of the ones I marked, and the one story that did stand out enough for me to choose it as my favorite.

SAVING TIAMAAT - Gwyneth Jones
WINNING PEACE - Paul J. McAuley
MAELSTROM - Kage Baker
WHO'S AFRAID OF WOLF 359? - Ken Macl...more
Brian
I love space opera. Big galactic wars, spaceships as big as cities, empires that stretch across galaxies, big ideas, and fun to read in a light popcorn summer-movie way.

Unfortunately to many of these short stories aren't space opera at all - merely mediocre science fiction stories.

There are a few standouts; Dan Simmons does his usual terrific job at short fiction with "Muse of Fire" - who knew that Shakespeare will save us all in the future? Alastair Reynolds "Minla's Flowers" details how to adv...more
Cissa
Pretty good stories. A lot of them are not exactly what I'd call "space opera" in the traditional sense, but they're good nonetheless.

I'm now about 2/3rds of the way through, and most of the stories are excellent. I've picked up a few new-to-me author's names to read more- always a plus! One nice thing about this anthology is that the stories are pretty long- generally at least 30 pages- so one can get a better idea of an author's style than with very short stories.

ETA: An EXCELLENT set of novel...more
Martin Mcgoey
Some very hard sci-fi in this collection. Several stories were difficult for me to get through since I'm relatively new to the genre and have noticed that sci-fi authors tend to focus more on tech-y stuff and world building than character development. By far the best piece in the collection was Dan Simmons's "Muse of Fire." It certainly made the collection worthwhile after suffering through some of the slower pieces at the beginning of the collection. Even though Simmons's piece is the longest,...more
Chris
Some good stories - the Kage Baker and the Ken MacLeod were stand-outs - and it does better than Aldiss's A Science Fiction Omnibus in the representation-of-women department. But my yardstick of 33% women is *not* a high bar, and Dozois still lambadas comfortably under it, so it loses a star.

I also note that, AFAICT, all writers are white, and all come from the Anglosphere.
Katie
Oh. MAN.
This book is the reason why I love science fiction. I can't say enough good things about this anthology, so I won't say much. It took me a while to finish it since I was saving it for my breaks at work, but it was good to savor it. Sometimes I had to put it down in between stories just so I could absorb them, mull them over like a fine wine, and just daydream a while.
Excellent, excellent read.
iamtedae
This is a collection of "all-new stories of science fiction adventure", and as such is a little difficult to review; overall, pretty darn good. This was the first time I've encountered the term "space opera", but I guess it fits: grand, sweeping, intense. It was hard to get started because I've apparently become quite the flabby fiction reader, but once I did it was wow! and away we go...
Catherine
I found the earlier stories in the collection pretty slow going. Things started to pick up with Mary Rosenblum's "Splintered Glass" and were increasingly good until the last story. I had a little trouble with this one, Dan Simmons's "Muse of Fire" at first, but it turned out to be quite meaningful in the end.
I enjoyed the second New Space Opera collection more than this one.
Kyle
A collection of impressive, entertaining stories that offer an impressive cross section of contemporary space opera. The strongest two being "Minla's Flowers" by Alastair Reynolds and "Muse of Fire" by Dan Simmons, with Tony Daniel's "The Valley of the Gardens" being a close third. Even the weakest stories manage to be entertaining. Well worth reading for any SF enthusiast.
Paul
Superb compilation of sci-fi novels, a number from folks I'd never heard of and the majority of the rest from folks who's work I've seen but never touched. This is well worth picking up if you a) have read the entire back catalogue of all your favourite authors and need to find someone new or b) enjoy shorts as all are at least good if not better than good stories.
Karlo
I've read most of the included authors before, and even a few of the stories in different collections. All of the stories were interesting, but my favourites were Tony Daniel's Valley of the Gardens (reminded my of some of Banks' best) and Paul McAuley's Winning Peace. I will seek out further examples of their works.

A great subway read.
Linsela
Some of the stories were good, some bad.

The preface defines 'Space Opera' as reading for fun, yet perhaps 1/2 of these stories are not really fun. Boring? Too complex to bother understanding?
Ethan
Good heavens. So far it seems this book should have been entitled "The New Pretentious Drivel"

Having finished I must say that forging my way through the first couple of stories in this anthology was well worth it. I didn't even finish a couple of them but the last 75% of the book was quite good.
Lora
Finally I know my favorite science fiction genre -- space opera! This book introduced me not only to the term but to some great new-to-me authors. I've actually been reading this for years -- I saved it for long plane trips! Now I must read their sequel anthology.
Martijn Heemels
I'm really starting to love these collections of short stories. Finished this one a little while ago, so while I don't remember which stories stood out, I found the average quality quite high. Contained some really though-provoking stories and was well worth the money.
William Grasso
This was another excellent collection from Mr. Dozois. Not every story will agree with every reader, but there is enough here to keep most people reading cover to cover, assuming they like the "Space Opera" style of Sci-Fi. An excellent anthology.
Anna Tan
For a compilation of space opera short fiction, I felt it was rather too heavy on the science for me.

As usual, this was a combination of some stories I really liked, and some I couldn't grasp.

Maybe I should stick to fantasy.

Ho hum.
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The Hard SF Renaissance
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • Eclipse 1: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Federations
  • The Space Opera Renaissance
  • Zima Blue and Other Stories
  • Dreaming Again: Thirty-five New Stories Celebrating the Wild Side of Australian Fiction
  • The Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories
  • Old Mars
  • Cyberabad Days
  • The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century
  • The Quiet War
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...
The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fifth Annual Collection