Start by marking “Improving the Foundations: Batman Begins from Comics to Screen (Sequart Journal, #4)” as Want to Read:
Open Preview read ebook* *Different edition

4.62 of 5 stars 4.62  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The definitive, unauthorized study of Christopher Nolan's 2005 film, paying particular attention to how it draws upon comic-book source material. Darius examines the evolution of Batman's origins, as well as previous attempts to film that story. His scene-by-scene analysis, addressing changes from the script, themes, and comics correlations, expands the reader's understand ...more
Paperback, second edition, 268 pages
Published May 10th 2010 by Sequart Research & Literacy Organization (first published September 18th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Improving the Foundations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Improving the Foundations

Christine
I am a huge fan of Batman and loved the movie Batman Begins so I knew right away that this book would be the right fit. I was very impressed by all the information that the author presented, and I was excited to learn all kinds of facts about the comics and the movie.

This book has a great introduction that explains Batman's origin. Then it goes into the analysis of the movie itself...scene by scene. As many times as I have watched the movie, I realized that I had missed a few things and now I w
Heather
“improving the foundations: batman begins from comics to screen” by Julian Darius is an in-depth look at the movie Batman Begins and the beginnings of Batman in the comic form. Mr. Darius begins with the history of Batman in the comics (Detective Comics #27 May 1939) and shows the reader how Batman became to be and how his story evolved over the years. From there, the author then delves into the movie, Batman Begins, and breaks it down into acts and scenes. He begins each act/scene with a descri ...more
Greg
Over the past few years, the art of the reboot has come a long way. One of the most successful reboots, of course, has been Christopher Nolan's Batman films. What makes this book, Improving the Foundations, so helpful is that it methodically breaks down all the creative choices the filmmakers have made and relates them to the comics, looking at bits and pieces from the numerous retellings of Batman's origin over the past seventy years or so.

The book is sophisticated and smart in its observations
Sara Jo Easton
I won this book in a First Reads giveaway, and I am impressed with the research. Batman is one of my favorite superheroes, and I consider myself an expert on the topic. I'm a big enough fan that I managed to turn one of my college research projects into the history of Batman. With that in mind, know that I still learned plenty of new things about the comics and the movie "Batman Begins". If you have some time to spare for a well-researched book about a beloved comic character, then you may want ...more
Charles
Darius has extensively researched the history of the Batman character through comics and analyzed Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins, comparing the famous stories in which the director took his inspiration from and contrasting the differences. It's something I've wanted to do myself and now I don't have to. Darius did it for me. It's well worth the read, especially since Nolan recently finished his Batman trilogy. I'd love to see Julian take on The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises next.
Kristy
**I received my copy through Goodreads First Reads.**

A thorough (and occasionally exhaustive) narrative of how the 2005 Christopher Nolan adaptation of Batman Begins matches up to comic canon. Author definitely has attention to minutiae, sometimes in a tedious. But if you're interested in a really in-depth film study, this is a good one for you.
Ming Siu
Well-researched, and a decent analysis of the film - though I beg to differ on some points, including the segmentation of the acts. Darius is much better at analysing comics than he is at films. The typos scattered across the book are rather annoying, though.
Valentín
Valentín marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Laura Wiseman
Laura Wiseman marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
E.M. Taggart
E.M. Taggart marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Aniruddh Sudharshan
Aniruddh Sudharshan marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
John Smith
John Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Leah Penny
Leah Penny marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Ale Rampoldi
Ale Rampoldi marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Arthur Christian
Arthur Christian marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Julian Chambliss
Julian Chambliss marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Esra
Esra marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Ben Bitzer
Ben Bitzer marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Kaytlin Hoover
Kaytlin Hoover marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Albert Pham
Albert Pham marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
After graduating magna cum laude from Lawrence University (Appleton, Wisconsin), Julian Darius obtained his M.A. in English, authoring a thesis on John Milton and utopianism. In 2002, he moved to Waikiki, teaching college while obtaining an M.A. in French (high honors) and a Ph.D. in English. In 2011, he founded Martian Lit, an offbeat literary house.

In 1996, while still an undergraduate, Darius f
More about Julian Darius...
Nira/Sussa (Nira/Sussa, #1) The Slave Factory Watching People Burn Shedding Skin: Two Tales of Horror and Identity And Still Your Fingers on Your Lips (Nira/Sussa, #1.1)