Start by marking “Songs of Innocence and Experience” as Want to Read:
Songs of Innocence and Experience

Songs of Innocence and Experience

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  26,508 Ratings  ·  470 Reviews

Songs of Innocence and of Experience: Shewing the Two Contrary States of the Human Soul are two books of poetry by the English poet and painter, William Blake. Although Songs of Innocence was first published by itself in 1789, it is believed that Songs of Experience has always been published in conjunction with Innocence since its completion in 1794.

Songs of Innocence main

Published January 1st 2010 by MobileReference (first published 1794)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright,
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
I don’t think I would dare give any collection of poems that contains the above lines anything less than five stars. Luckily, although every poem isn’t a winner for me (cough*Laughing Song*cough), there are so many immortal poems in this collection that I don’t feel the least bit guilty for giving the collection the full five stars. I started collecting some of my favorite lines
Bookworm Sean
Blake’s poetry is marvellously deceptive; it appears so simple, but that’s the beauty of it. Hidden behind the innocent and childlike songs is a sense of irony and sarcasm. The narrators of the poems describe the world as they see it; it is a mere reflection of their own limited perceptions; they see the world through a childlike and predetermined state. In essence, they see what they are meant to see, and nothing beyond that. Well, not until they gain experience and look back on their own folly ...more
Darwin8u
Jan 15, 2016 Darwin8u rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Billy Blake Who Made Thee?

description

Poet Poet, burning bright,
In the stanzas of the night;
What romantic coquetry,
Could frame thy fearful poetry?

In what distant when or whys,
roll'd the epic of thine eyes?
On wet verse dare he aspire?
What poet's hand, robs Shelly's pyre?

And what meter, & what art,
Could twist the cadence of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread iambs? & what dread feet?

What the motif? what the type,
In what belly was thy gripe?
What the image? what simile,
Dare its
Florencia
Mar 16, 2016 Florencia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those in need of a peaceful place to breathe.
Shelves: poetry
...Folly is an endless maze;
Tangled roots perplex her ways;
How many have fallen there!
They stumble all night over bones of the dead;
And feel — they know not what but care;
And wish to lead others, when they should be led.

- William Blake, "The Voice of the Ancient Bard"

The smile of a child. The face of a lamb. The purity of maternal love. Solidarity. These are images chosen by Blake to convey his thoughts on innocence. When I think of innocence, I cannot help picturing in my head the greenest mea
Lit Bug
Nov 17, 2013 Lit Bug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, british
My first brush with Blake was through the impeccable poem London more than a decade back. Since then, I'd got to read more poems of his, all carefully chosen by the academicians, quickly putting him in my list of favorite poets. Then before I reached my twenties, I read this little collection, and liked it immensely.

Songs of Innocence was what I was looking for, with its naïve outlook on life, the idyllic pictures of innocence I was unwilling to leave behind on my trek to youth. I was enamored (
Mike Puma
Oct 23, 2013 Mike Puma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you know who you are
A review, of sorts, may be found in Message 1.
Carmo
Jul 13, 2016 Carmo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poesia, inglaterra, bib-p
Esteticamente este livrinho é uma preciosidade. Edição bilingue, inclui reproduções dos poemas originais e gravuras alusivas a cada um deles, criações do próprio Blake, que antes de ser poeta já era ilustrador.
A boa conjugação das ilustrações com a simbologia e os jogos sonoros, fazem destes poemas uma obra única, a fazer lembrar os livros infantis que encontrava lá por casa guardados pelos meus pais. O ritmo e as repetições conferem-lhes uma deliciosa musicalidade, aliás, consta que o autor ti
Priyanka
Feb 17, 2015 Priyanka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
William Blake’s short poems profess a narrative far beyond what actually exists on the page. They communicate with incredible power and economy, smashing to smithereens the false structures of existing beliefs and opinions. His poems are like gravel thrown into a pool, ripples radiating outwards indefinitely, stirring everything they touch.
Miguel
Sep 25, 2015 Miguel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A poesia não se explica, a poesia implica , disse Sophia de Mello Breyner.

Canções de Inocência e de Experiência , poesia do século dezoito, cerzida com a doutrina religiosa, com o escrúpulo linguístico, motivada pelas dinâmicas e assimetrias da Alma humana casada com a Natureza.

A Tirzah

Todo o que Nasce de Mortal Nascer,
Co' a Terra consumido deve ser
Para se erguer de Geração liberto;
Tenho algo a ver contigo eu por certo?

Os Sexos de Pudor & Orgulho vindos
Floridos de manhã; à noite find
Joey
Feb 18, 2015 Joey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poems, poetry
Full of beautiful poems which intend to express human spirit restrained by conservative rules.Besides, I could feel the burning desires the poet wanted to express.

Among the poems I appreciated :

THE GARDEN OF LOVE

I laid me down upon a bank,
Where Love lay sleeping;
I heard among the rushes dank
Weeping, weeping.

Then I went to the heath and the wild,
To the thistles and thorns of the waste;
And they told me how they were beguiled,
Driven out, and compelled to the chaste.

I went to the Garden of Love,
And
Jason Gignac
Wow.

I know, I'm very purply in my prose when I talk about books, and I have a tendency to say everything is beautiful. I know this probably takes away from the impact of when I really find something life-changingly perfect. Do not let my larkety-la-ti-da writing style in reviews, however, stop you from putting down whatever you're reading, and immediately adding this precious book to the store of books you've read.

I can honestly say that, if the other things William Blake wrote are as beautiful
Manny
Dec 17, 2009 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seen in this week's Private Eye:
Tiger! Tiger! Burning bright
In the middle of the night
What on earth was going on?
Perhaps we will never know
from Songs of Innocent Until Proven Guilty
Knarik Avetisyan
May 25, 2014 Knarik Avetisyan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Blake’s Songs of Innocence and Experience (1794) juxtapose the innocent, pastoral world of childhood against an adult world of corruption and repression; while such poems as “The Lamb” represent a meek virtue, poems like “The Tyger” exhibit opposing, darker forces. Thus the collection as a whole explores the value and limitations of two different perspectives on the world. Many of the poems fall into pairs, so that the same situation or problem is seen through the lens of innocence first and the ...more
somuchreading
Δεν είμαι για ποίηση εγώ παιδιά, αφήστε καλύτερα.
Huda AbuKhoti
So my sister told me I am enjoying this because I have no experience in English poetry.. I assure you though, that this is no ordinary poetry book.

The book of contrast, I like to call it. Full of extremes at both ends. A joy to the heart in the innocence chapter. Then destroys it all and more with the experience chapter.

Amazing read! purely amazing!

You might feel a bit bored of the overly joyous innocence poems, but when you start reading the experience poems, the book becomes perfectly balance
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Just for fun, let’s do A Blick* of Blake. Or, Spot The Blake Allusion.

Let me explain. This is inspired by Friend Dawrin8u’s Poem=Review of Songs of Innocence And of Experience. See, every time I hear “Blake” I hear “Daniel Amos”. See, Daniel Amos is/was an influential beatlesque artsy xian rock band who had their hay=day in the ’80’s. And they were slightly Blake soaked. It’s not like I’ve actually read Blake beyond a few things in that course on the Romantics, but, well, I’ve got this totally c
Matthew DeCostanza
In turns heartfelt and alienating, warm and eerie.

The duplicity with which this book is written is its most defining characteristic, making it a direct reflection of the world we live in. It's short, but encompassing; it's safe to say that the breadth of emotions I felt in the hour I spent reading this book were more vivid and diverse than the emotions I'm going to feel this coming week.

My favorite William Blake anecdote says that when he was four years old he saw God peering into his bedroom wi
Muhammad Khaled
Jun 06, 2013 Muhammad Khaled rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
يجب قراءة أغنيات التجربة بعد أغنيات البراءة، عدم قراءة ديوانا بلايك بهذا الشكل تجعل العمل ناقصا، كلوحة فنية غير مكتملة. بالنسبة لي، أنجذب إلى الشعر الذي يصنع المفارقة الذكية، لذا لا أميل إلى شعر الوصف، بمدارسها المتعددة، منها الرومانتيكية، لا أنجذب إلى أشعار لوركا كثيرا، وقراءة أغنيات البراءة لبلايك فقط تضيف لي تجربة مملة أخرى. الغريب، أن أغنيات التجربة تنضم لنفس المدرسة، ولكنها قلّبت الصفحة على وجهها الآخر، مما صنع المفارقة، النظرة الأخرى للأشياء، مهد لها بلايك، بعنوان ذكي ( في محنة الآخر )، آخ ...more
La Mala  ✌
Mar 30, 2016 La Mala ✌ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: para-estudiar
Reseña cuando termine de analizarlo como se debe. (Y dependiendo de si apruebo el cuatrimestre)
Ryan Milbrath
William Blake is one of my favorite Romantic era poets. Shakespeare is the only Englishman that I have enjoyed reading more than Blake. England during the 1800s never gave its accolades to the genius of Blake while he lived. His paintings and his most important works like Marriage of Heaven and Hell and this one, Songs of Innocence and of Experience, never received their just do’s till after his death.

Songs of Innocence and Experience are poems composed on vibrantly colored and detailed plates.
Nick
Jul 16, 2016 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"How can the bird that is born for joy,
Sit in a cage and sing?
How can a child when fears annoy,
But droop his tender wing
And forget his youthful spring?"

***

"Dear Mother, dear Mother, the Church is cold
But the Ale-house is pleasant and warm."
Abdelrahman Badran
خمسُ نجومٍ أقلُ القليل لهذا الديوان الساحر لويليام بليك ... تندمج كلياً معه
Laura Verret
Blake's poetry, flanked as its literal imagery is with symbolic interpretation, is a source of never-ending wonder to me.
Mike Jensen
I don't get Blake's reputation. I grant the genius of “The Tyger,” but 90% of the rest of the poems in this book are doggerel. The other 10% are doggerel mixed with a good idea gone wrong or a nice line or image mixed with some very bad writing. It is hard for me to understand why anyone but a Christian fundamentalist with a taste for trite rhymes or an English lit scholar would bother. This raises the question of why Tyger is so good. My blind spot, or did Blake strike gold once with most of hi ...more
Lucinda
Oct 05, 2015 Lucinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: university
“It is words as with sunbeams – the more condensed, the deeper they burn!”
- Quote Robert Southey

The Romantics were considered ‘glorious luminaries’ of an age wherein societal, totalitarianism and conformist suppression ruled supreme. The constraints not only pertained to the literal; social status, literacy, religious expectancies etc. but most significantly to the internal; the oppression of the free thinking spirit.

For instance, Quoting Goethe ““Someday perhaps the inner light will shine
Draven
Jan 31, 2015 Draven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
William Blake, my favorite poet of all time. Always overshadowed by his fellow Romantic contemporaries, such as Wordsworth, much to my dismay and the detriment of poetry lovers everywhere.

Songs of Innocence and Experience is a must-read period, regardless of genres. Anyone with an artistic soul will only benefit from its beauty and perfection. It is truly an enriching experience.

The Chimney Sweeper is my personal favorite. I cry every time I read it without fail.
Mohamed Eshawaf
تلك هى تجربتى الثانية مع الشعر المترجم وغالبا الأخيرة...
تجربتى الأولى كانت مع شاعر أمريكى معاصر هو تشارلز سيميك، وهذه الثانية لشاعر إنجليزى من القرن الثامن عشر، كلتا التجربتان مريرتان ومخيبتان للآمال، ومضيعة للوقت.
ترجمة الشعر هو أسوأ ما يمكن تقديمه للقاريء والشاعر على السواء، فأقل ما يمكن أن تقدمه الترجمة للشعر هى السخافة..
روح الشعر فى اللغة.. إن فُقدت اللغة فُقدت الروح
إليك مثلا هذه القصيدة:
(آه أيتها الوردة، أنتِ مريضة!
الحشرة الخفية،
التى تطير فى الليل،
فى العاصفة التى تعوى،
قد عثرت على سريرك
ذى الب
Ela
Nov 17, 2015 Ela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alevel
'And we are put on earth a little space.
That we may learn to bear the beams of love.
And these black bodies and this sun-burnt face
Is but a cloud, and like a shady grove.'

-The Little Black Boy

I have been studying Song of Innocence and Experience for over a year now, in preparation for my A2 Lit exam. I have really enjoyed looking a Blake's poetry and I know that this collection will stay with me. Blake's simplistic style heart-breaking juxtaposes the complex social issues he discusses; his use of
Sara
Jul 05, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L'attenzione, l'amore e la dolcezza che william Blake rivolge ai bambini orfani, abbandonati e ammazzati dalla società mi ha fatto commuovere come poche poesie al mondo.

Ricordando che furono scritte in un tempo in cui i bambini orfani venivano utilizzati, senza scrupoli come spazzacamini ed infilati in canne fumarie spesso ancora roventi, molti morivano o ne rimanevano gravemente ustionati ...
In un tempo in cui i genitori abbandonavano i loro figli nella nebbia non potendoli sfamare ...
In un tem
Kimi
Jul 30, 2016 Kimi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
That moment when your favorite Tv Show makes you read Romantic poetry of the 18th century.

• Lyrical Ballads
  • The Complete Sonnets and Poems
  • Dover Beach and Other Poems
  • Collected Poems
  • Poems and Songs
William Blake was an English poet, painter, and printmaker. Largely unrecognised during his lifetime, Blake's work is today considered seminal and significant in the history of both poetry and the visual arts.

Blake's prophetic poetry has been said to form "what is in proportion to its merits the least read body of poetry in the language". His visual artistry has led one modern critic to proclaim h
More about William Blake...

“Love seeketh not itself to please, nor for itself hath any care, but for another gives its ease, and builds a Heaven in Hell's despair.” 261 likes
“For Mercy has a human heart
Pity, a human face:
And Love, the human form divine,
And Peace, the human dress.”
54 likes