Start by marking “Literacy with an Attitude: Educating Working-Class Children in Their Own Self-Interest” as Want to Read:

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A comprehensive update of the classic study that delivers both a passionate plea and strategies for teachers, parents, and community organizers to give working-class children the same type of empowering education and powerful literacy skills that the children of upper- and middle-class people receive.

Published (first published August 26th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Literacy with an Attitude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Literacy with an Attitude

Jane
Educators, just read it--and grasp the author's understanding of what it takes for students caught in poverty to become real learners. I'm sure you'll find things you disagree with, but consider how the author's experiences may have differed from yours and why you've drawn different conclusions. And, read all the way to the end of the second edition where he chronicles what happened when he put his ideas into action.
Robert Bussell
Finns offers and social and idealogical commentary that can inform teaching practice. You will learn little about the practical business of teaching by reading this book, but this book will help you understand the problems of public education in a way that will orient you towards possible solution, at least within your own classroom. At the same time, you may just rediscover the reason your standing in front of that class in the first place.

"Literacy With an Attitude" belongs on every leftist ed
Jordan
Apr 19, 2014 Jordan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jordan by: Teachacari
What prejudices, preconceptions, policies, and other forces are keeping the rich rich, and the poor even poorer? According to Patrick J. Finn, it all comes down to traditional American education.

In this fascinating and subversive little book, Finn outlines the mechanisms and mechanizations that suppress and undermine the voices of working-class children and communities, and at the same time support, validate, and empower the children of affluent communities.

It makes so much sense.

To ground hi
Mary
This helped me understand how important student choice and voice are. The book will help teachers and parents understand how activities such as debate and socratic seminars are useful and empowering. We can teach our children to use their voices in a productive, meaningful way.
gail
I had high hopes for this book and for the most part, my expectations were met. I wanted to recharge my batteries and get ideas for charging up the students I serve in my school.

Reading the reviews here make me wish I'd gotten the second edition since it seems that edition has additional chapters that give some practical suggestions for putting some of the ideas into practice.

I had some issues with the tone of the work - the writer's voice was often overly casual or self-consciously "cool" and s
Sue
Lisa P
Fascinating study for teachers about the need to encourage our children to be active learners, thinkers instead of passive, obedient learners. Several different case studies of progressive and traditional schools are included, and these are rather enlightening. I was surprised, too, to read about how the way we speak to children when they are very young can shape their attitude toward learning.

After reading it, I had some very interesting conversations with my students about authority and power
Heather
Great book on literacy.
Martha
For those that have only ready the first edition. I highly recommend reading the 8 chapters Finn added to the second edition. While I read the first part of the book frustrated by the "savage inequalities," I also felt helpless in the face of such challenges. The end of the book however, Finn chronicles many grassroots efforts to take on the inequity and challenge the status quo. Now I have an idea for a dissertation.
Sukhdeep
Yes, terrible cover and title -- but it did make me think about teaching and literacy education in ways I hadn't before. I wish there was more discussion of classroom strategies that teachers can use to teach literacy "with an attitude," but there are tons of suggestions for further reading, both in the book and in online reviews. Very interesting book.
Pauline
Nov 11, 2013 Pauline rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: TEACHERS
Shelves: teaching
I thought this was an extensive revision to an already amazing text!
So thought-provoking about how schools are run, how teachers teach, and how we can infuse our classrooms with a theme of social justice. LOVE this book - every teacher should read this at least once...it will transform the way you look at your classroom & the world.
Mark Feltskog
This is a workmanlike summary of the way that social class is reproduced by way of public schooling, and is fine as it goes. Mr. Finn cites Paulo Freire at length, and I think it might be difficult to make sense of this book without having read Freire.
Dan Murphy
The cover and title are off-putting, but of all the books I had to read while I was teaching in the Bronx, this was one of the select few that actually could have been useful. Too bad then that I was a math teacher.
kate
If you can get passed the toolish-looking child on the cover, Finn reports on studies & Freirean pedagogy ina useful way. Not much in the way of putting his insights into practice, however.
Melissa
Very interesting book. Made a difference in how I consider language, especially language of the home. There is not a "natural" way to come into contact with literacy.
Edward Kidder
Jan 26, 2008 Edward Kidder rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ed school geeks
A highlight of the fall required reading in my grad program. Into socio-economically determinism in schools? Wonder about "oppositional identity?" Then check it out.
Jill
It was eye-opening in the way that I teach and how students are taught in general. Some of it may be a little out there, but I enjoyed how it challenged me.
Heather Edick
So far this book provides a great background for teachers who are working with working class students. I am enjoying this book very much.
Mary Ellen
Yup, Finn's right, working class and working poor children resist instruction in a way that upper and middle class students do not.
Pauline
I'm not sure why this one wasn't already on my shelf...it's a great book that I use for my Adolescent Literacy course.
Lynn
How culture, race, and class impact the education of our future generation...it may tick you off.
Sheila
Everyone MUST read this book. No. Really. It's important.
Holly
Jan 10, 2011 Holly is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this for my grad lit course. Very interesting...
Susan
I am actually cited in this book. Woo hoo!
Jennifer Raymond
Jennifer Raymond marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
  • Ghetto Schooling: A Political Economy of Urban Educational Reform
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise Into Practice
  • Teaching Children to Care: Classroom Management for Ethical and Academic Growth, K-8
  • Letters to a Young Teacher
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Literacy: Reading the Word and the World
  • Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom
  • Other People's Children: Cultural Conflict in the Classroom
  • Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • The Case Against Homework: How Homework Is Hurting Our Children and What We Can Do About It
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • The Homework Myth: Why Our Kids Get Too Much of a Bad Thing
  • In Schools We Trust: Creating Communities of Learning in an Era of Testing and Standardization
  • How the Brain Learns
  • Wounded by School: Recapturing the Joy in Learning and Standing Up to Old School Culture
Teacher Education With An Attitude: Preparing Teachers To Educate Working Class Students In Their Collective Self Interest Helping Children Learn To Read Helping Children Learn Language Arts