Start by marking “Trial Run” as Want to Read:
Trial Run

Trial Run

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,851 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Veteran horseman Randall Drew travels to Moscow to help the Russian royal family--but ends up caught in a world of jealousy, sabotage, and murder.
Published September 7th 2004 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Trial Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trial Run

Algernon
Dec 02, 2013 Algernon rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013

Dick Francis has been one of the most reliable writers of crime fiction for me, guaranteed to fill in a lazy Sunday afternoon with a pleasant and mildly thrilling mystery set around the horse racing world. I believe Trial Run is the first misfire in the 30+ novels of his I've read so far. I will try to keep my review short, as I really don't like to attack one of my favorite writers.

Trial Run is atypical for me in the Dick Francis catalogue for two reasons :

- his heroes are usually quiet types
Dec 06, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I always think of Dick Francis novels as my palate cleansers, but that's not really fair to him. Sure, they're breezy, fun reads. They're also tightly plotted, and impeccably researched. His characters all have complex motivations and human flaws. Any writer could learn from him. This one wasn't my favorite: too much gay scare, women pretty much only present as dragon ladies or free-woman-of-the-seventies style lovers. Francis did a great job of getting me to envision a Moscow winter in the late ...more
Harry
Aug 04, 2012 Harry rated it it was amazing
What is there to say about Dick Francis? As I think about all of his books (yes, this review covers all of his books, and yes I've read them all) I think about a moral ethical hero, steeped in intelligence and goodness embroiled in evil machinations within British horse racing society - either directly or indirectly. The heroes aren't always horse jockies, they can be film producers, or involve heroes engaged in peripheral professions that somehow always touch the horse racing world.

But more tha
Robert Beveridge
I'm not sure I believe it, but there it is: amazon has Trial Run listed as out of print. Amazing.

By now I should be inured to the pace of a Dick Francis novel, which is roughly equivalent to that of a marathon turf stakes at Ascot: in order to conserve energy, the horses start off slow, knowing they have a couple of thousand meters ahead of them; the pace picks up after you get round to the backstretch the first time, and the finish is furious. Francis spent too much time on the backs of nags at
Kathryn McCary
Francis's mystery novels always involved more than their racing background and the plot-vehicle mystery. This one is a little more intensely about something else than most.

An upper-class English rider (with myopia and asthma) is dragooned by minor nobility into going to Moscow, in advance of the 1980 Olympic Games, to investigate a rumor that one of the possible riders for the British horse team will encounter the mysterious Alyosha, to his cost, should he attend the Games. More than a decade be
Contrarius
Jul 12, 2011 Contrarius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This book in the Francis series steeps itself in the atmosphere of Cold War Russia, with some interesting observations on how institutionalized fear can warp the character of a people. Unfortunately, the narrator for the audio version of this volume (Tony Britton) had no idea of how to do a Russian accent, so most of the characters ended up sounding more German or Scandinavian than Russian. This one was fun overall, with twists and turns to match the spy caper tone of the book and multiple refer ...more
Marilyn
Jan 16, 2013 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Dick Francis is always great for me...relaxing...interesting...love the British ways...mysterious...but not so much so that I can't put it down and go on to something else.
Randall Drew, a horseman who has recently been barred from racing because he wears glasses (of all things!), finds himself much needed by the prince to help resolve a confusion that has to do with the prince's brother-in-law, the Olympics, and the Russians. In Moscow, Randall sees the grimmer side of Russian life, while tryi
David
May 01, 2016 David rated it it was ok
A convoluted plotline and not up to the usual Dick Francis standard.
Usfromdk
Oct 24, 2016 Usfromdk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one felt a bit aimless, and I was slightly disappointed by it. It seemed to me as if Francis while writing it had been more concerned about writing a book about stuff taking place in Moscow (during the Cold War) than he'd been about developing a good plot. As a loose characterization of at least some aspects of life in Russia during that time it's probably not that bad (queues/shortages, low-quality food/housing stock, pervasive lack of trust, etc.), but the actual story/plot I did not find ...more
John Marsh
Jan 16, 2015 John Marsh rated it it was amazing
Vidya
Oct 06, 2007 Vidya rated it really liked it
Somewhat different from the usual Dick Francis style. For one, the book chugs along slowly, builds up to a climax, and then peters out again. The protagonist depends a lot on help from others, though he is still the one who does the mental math and puts the pieces together, and gets beaten up badly!

However, I liked the glimpse into the repressive Communist regime of the late '70s USSR, although the author has portrayed the leadership (and the KGB) in a kind light - upholding socialist principle
Ed
Jun 13, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
Finalist 1978 Gold Dagger Award. The horse connection this time is Olympic equestrian events rather than racing and the venue has moved to Russia.

Racing related thrillers - How can you say no to a Prince? You can't, Randall Drew found out quite quickly, though the last place he wanted to go was Moscow, even if it was on a mission for the Royal Family. But the Prince's brother-in-law had his heart set on riding in the Olympics, and it seemed some jealous Russian had her heart set on killing him i
Jennie
Aug 05, 2013 Jennie rated it really liked it
Another great romp from Dick Francis. Another Dick Francis that I realized I'd already read when I was partway through. No matter; it was still a fascinating story.

The protagonist no longer rides, as he wears glasses and recent changes to rules mean glass-wearing jockeys are no longer allowed. The Prince of Wales asks him to go to Russia to check out a situation with a British rider and some Russian thugs. He meets up with Russian jockeys and trainers and some British folks who are in Russia for
Fiona
Dec 30, 2011 Fiona rated it liked it
Quillracer
While the general theme of this book--terrorism--is still current, the setting--Soviet Russia--is somewhat dated. This is not a fault of the book but a consequence of the passage of time, since it was first published in the late 70s.
The story itself was very good as all Dick Francis stories are but I felt the conclusion was a little weak, as if Francis felt the need to stretch the tale just a few more pages. Deleting the last two short scenes in the book would have made for a much stronger endin
Wanda A.
May 22, 2016 Wanda A. rated it it was amazing
Dick Francis knows how to weave a mystery that is hard to untangle. Be prepared to see the the sordid underbelly of Moscow in the 1970's as you try to identify who really didn't commit a crime and is innocent. Ready yourselves. Mr. Francis encourages the reader to philosophically consider the importance of having free will to choose between affluence and simplicity and also whether one can defy the impact of nurture. Mr. Francis wraps a mystery and philosophical discussions in a tight taut packa ...more
Mark Isaak
Jun 30, 2016 Mark Isaak rated it liked it
Dick Francis does his usual good job of combining mystery, suspense, horses, and something different. In this case, the "something different" was Moscow in the 1970's. Unfortunately, the politics of that aspect have not aged well. Also, the plot felt contrived in that many of the clues were unlikely to be so readily found or to exist in the first place. But still an entertaining read.
Erin
Mar 26, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok
Set in Communist Russia. It was an interesting look at Russia during communist times. I was expecting it to be a faster paced book, which is wasn't. The main character goes to Russia to find prevent a murder. Due to his knowledge of horses he is able to find out information that no one else is able to.
Julie
Feb 05, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
After giving some new authors a try with mixed success, it is a real comfort to 'come home' to a familiar, favored Dick Frances. And, once again, he doesn't disappoint. Bad guys, good guys, believable intrigue, and a very attractive sounding, smart, horsey male..makes me want to settle in my big chair with a blanket and a cup of coffee...ahhhh....
Tiina
Aug 23, 2014 Tiina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was largely set in Moscow, where they were getting ready for the Olympics. The main character is trying to find Alyosha.

Descriptions of Communist Russia and early winter sound very genuine. This feels like a trip into the past. And there is a fight scene at the end that is really thrilling, but also sounds like something that could really happen. I liked the real feel of this book.
LJ
TRIAL RUN - Ex
Francis, Dick - 14

Randall Drew is sent to Moscow to investigate threats against a royally-connected candidate for the Moscow Olympic Games. His brief is vague, the opposition invisible and the stakes appallingly high.

Great setting, Russia in winter. I felt for his illness.
Katie
Nov 08, 2011 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2006
"A retired jockey is sent to Moscow on a delicate investigation involving royalty and the Moscow Olympics."

A bit of a change of pace for Francis. His hero is involved in some Cold War era intrigue related to the ill-fated Moscow Olympics. A good read, perhaps not his best, though.
Jane
Jul 06, 2010 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-noir, horses
it's summer. i need to read a dick francis book. this combines the cold war, horses, and the olympics: how can it not win?

***

Not my favorite Dick Francis ever, but the Soviet stuff was really interesting.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 08, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it it was amazing
A horse racing mystery from a master storyteller. Steeplechase rider Andrew Drew is asked by the British Olympic committee to go to Moscow to investigate rumors concerning a minor member of the nobility who wishes to compete has embarrassing skeletons and if they would impact the Olympics.
Kaylynn
Mar 13, 2008 Kaylynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was a really enjoyable read and my first from Dick Francis. I liked the Moscow setting, and it was interesting to remember what the cold war was like. I really liked the main character and that as a reader I had the exact same information he did.
Bryn
Aug 14, 2012 Bryn rated it liked it
I listen to DF on the way to work in audio format.

Good stories and having a horsey background I enjoy the nag connection.

A bit rerribly terribly hey what in the accent departmetn but Btitten's range is good.
Gretchen
Let's go back to the 70's-go to Russia--deal with the cold war-interwoven with horses and what do you get--another wonderful story by Dick Francis
Rebekkila
Oct 29, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Ian Rodwell
May 08, 2013 Ian Rodwell rated it really liked it
I have reviewed this novel and the other Dick Francis novels and put them in a FREE EBook.

You can get your copy at:

Kate Millin
Sep 25, 2011 Kate Millin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Randall Drew an ex steeple chaser unravels a mystery that could have been used by terrorists during the Munich Olympices. The brotherhood of horse people is key to this.
  • Dick Francis's Refusal (Sid Halley, #5)
  • Tuesday the Rabbi Saw Red
  • Levkas Man
  • Double Jeopardy (Tweed & Co. #1)
  • Bright Futures (Lew Fonesca, #6)
  • Pay Off
  • Maigret Afraid
  • A Nun in the Closet
  • Perfectly Pure and Good (Sarah Fortune, #2)
Dick Francis CBE (born Richard Stanley Francis) was a popular British horse racing crime writer and retired jockey.

Dick Francis worked on his books with his wife, Mary, before her death. Dick considered his wife to be his co-writer - as he is quoted in the book, "The Dick Francis Companion", released in 2003:
"Mary and I worked as a team. ... I have often said that I would have been happy to have b
More about Dick Francis...

“Tyrants come and go, tyranny is constant.” 0 likes