Start by marking “His Penniless Beauty” as Want to Read:
His Penniless Beauty

His Penniless Beauty

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Four years ago, Sophie loved Nikos Kazandros with all her heart. What she didn't know was that Nikos would take her virginity and then move on....

Now, not knowing where to turn for money, Sophie has taken a job she wouldn't normally have considered. But on her very first night things go disastrously wrong when she bumps into...Nikos. He's outraged to see how she's earning

ebook, Harlequin Presents #2931, 142 pages
Published July 1st 2010 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about His Penniless Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Penniless Beauty

seton
Jan 15, 2015 seton rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans who like the really over-the-top melodramatic Presents
Shelves: category, d-n-f
Four yrs ago, Sophie was a concert pianist. Now, she is a professional escort. Oh, the shame of it! The degradation! Brought to you by the author of Baby Of Shame.

This was my first Julia James. And my last. Way too over-the-top for me.

Ultra dramatic writing style.

Written. In. Very. Short. Sentences.

With lots of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lots of unnecessary, ridiculous, pontificating, overblown, specious, wasteful, exorbitant, gratuitous, profuse adjectives!!!!!!!!!!!!
seton
This is the American version of Penniless and Purchased. Same story, different title.

This was my first Julia James. And my last. Way too over-the-top for me.

Ultra dramatic writing style.

Written. In. Very. Short. Sentences.

With lots of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lots of unnecessary, ridiculous, pontificating,
willaful
This was so exactly the sort of high-octane read I was looking for, that it was easy to overlook its flaws. You can't criticize a book for being cliched when you're looking for a story about a mean hero who thinks the heroine is a conniving slut, now can you? And there actually was a teeny bit of twist at the end, to make it a little different from its fellows.

There's no denying that the writing is repetitive and overwrought and the word choices occasionally odd. And the almost unrelieved suffer
Lynsey A
This was a little ridiculous that the heroine's only choice to earn extra money was to be an escort. I mean later in the book we find out she turned down working at a "bar job" because of the sexual harrassment she would receive. Seriously? Because there is no harrassment when working as an "escort." Albeit, she did have another job as a shoe clerk and did need more money but the escort storyline was just created for drama and was a bit over the top.

This book didn't really do it for me. I felt t
Jacqueline
seriously? you are broke and the only way you can think of to make money is to be an escort? Waiting tables too good for you?
Dianna
As a guileless teenager, Sophie spent happy days at piano college and every afternoon, walked home across the park to her millionaire father’s millionaire mansion in London. She’s not talented enough to be anything more than a plinky piano player, but she’s daddy’s princess so everything will be lovely always, and while she’s spoiled she’s a really nice girl. She’s a little troubled because daddy is a bit worried about money, but it’s probably nothing terribly important and then one afternoon, b ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
This was a very sad story and until the last chapter I kept thinking….no these two people will never be together!!!

A sophisticated, rich and handsome hero is captivated by a very young, innocent and endearing heroine, who very quickly is enthralled for the first time in life and after being seduced by the hero, believes she has found her knight in shining armour and being young and immature tells that to him!!

So what does Nikos do??? He throws her away and accuses her of using her body to get hi
RLA
The hero Nikos is at a party that he really doesn't want to be at when he sees Sophie, the heroine, dressed up like a tart and on the arm of a lecherous businessman. He is reminded of how Sophie and her innocence were once his, and now she seems anything but innocent, and his anger gets the better of him. Sophie is devastated to see Nikos for the first time since he abandoned her and her whole world had come crashing down. She especially hates that he has to see her now, in her lowest moment, ac ...more
Mo
Should the h have forgiven the H in the end?

Should the H have got away with his abysmal assumptions, considering the destruction they wrought?

Should the H have got to the end without the h kicking him repeatedly in the nuts?

description
Miss

Now, not knowing where to turn for money, Sophie has taken a job she wouldn't normally have considered. But on her very first night things go disastrously wrong when she bumps into.Nikos. He's outraged to see how she's earning a living and knows he needs to stop her immediately. But the only way to do that is to keep her close and pay for her time...

My i
Tonya Warner
Sophie had always been well protected and shielded from the hardships of life by her loving father. Allowed to fulfill her childhood dreams of playing the piano, and pampered beyond belief, the arrival of Nikos in to her life seemed to add to the fantastic fairytale existance she lead. But like many fairytales, there is often a grim reminder that things are not always as they appear.

For four years, Nikos has lived with the betrayal he felt when Sophie gave him her virginity, in the hopes they wo
Caro
An ok read. There was a lot of anguish, a few parts where things were worded a little off for me and kinda slow, but overall a good book. I mostly liked the characters and the book was written well and flowed. There were some head-knocking moments, plenty of emotions, strength, assumptions, surprises, and a good HEA ending. A good book for something to read or passing time but probably not something I would seek out. Good Luck
Vanessa Jaye
The balance between introspection, flashbacks and the pacing/development of the current day romance didn't quite work for me. And all exclamations peppered throughout the story might have been for emotional emphasis, but they were ultimately distracting.

I haven't rated this one because I'm not sure what rate to assigned. There were several good elements--a nice twist at the end, and I did believe the characters had been in love previously and that they'd never felt that way about anyone else si
I have no idea what possessed me to read this - but I did. Now with the deed done, I'm left wondering why no one has gifted this author with a thesaurus. Her over-excessive use of the terms 'sheered off the memory' and 'razored breath' made me groan and skip pages until Bam! There's the same phrase all over again. Plot wise you could see where this one was going from reading the back cover and the heroine's emo-like despair at her situation makes her kinda suck. I spent most of the book hating t ...more
Storm Chase
Lots of angst with little characterisation, practically no plot, and all built around the idea that women are greedy hos who need to be redeemed by being dragged into the gutter. A dreadful book. Glad I got it second hand. Am binning it.
Nenya
read the beginning, then read the end. seemed like a fun way to while away time :)... not too bad a romance. rather angsty, drags a bit and i'm not sure if the H was with other women during the 4 years apart... meh...
Kitty
still wondering why there's a Eiffel tower in the background...
other than that it your regular HP book
Laura Trott
Average - it was a normal mills and boon story - if you enjoy them you will probably enjoy this book.
Missy
A sweet fairytale like romance....a wonderfully sweet good daughter falls in love with a Greek knight in shining armour then misunderstandings happen & he leaves her in the poor house. Her father falls ill & major money is required for him to get well leaving the daughter no choice but to become an dinner escort. Enter the Greek knight who sees this & sets out to rescue her for her own good. They can't help but to be drawn back together by their love but will it be enough to conquer ...more
elstaffe
I was happily puttering along through this book, somewhat disappointed that it was just a normal Presents and not living up to the crack I had heard about, when all of a sudden...WHAM. The crazy. It appeared.
Kalyani
May 24, 2010 Kalyani rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all romantics
Recommended to Kalyani by: i picked it myself
good story and the style of narration is good. i liked the characterization. story is well paced and not dragging. i liked it..
Brittney Bower
i thought it was just plain sad how there first relationship ended. and how she tried to keep it ell together.
Ladyacct
It was different, with a ending that I have never seen before in a romance.
Viridiana Ivashkov
malo, muuuy malo para quemarse ...more
Giulia
Senza infamia e senza lode.
Cindy
Cindy is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
  • The Italian's Blackmailed Mistress
  • The Man Who Risked it All
  • Bride, Bought and Paid For (Harlequin Presents, #2907)
  • Blackmailed Bride, Inexperienced Wife (Innocent Wives #3)
  • Once a Ferrara Wife... (Ferrara #1)
  • His Mistress for a Million
  • The Bride's Awakening (Modern Romance)
  • Public Affair, Secretly Expecting (Harlequin Presents #2906)
  • Bedded for Passion, Purchased for Pregnancy
  • The Secret His Mistress Carried
  • Wedding Date with Mr. Wrong
  • Spanish Magnate, Red-Hot Revenge
  • In Christofides' Keeping (Modern)
  • The Greek's Pregnant Lover (Traditional Greek Husbands #2; Greek Tycoons #7)
  • The Melendez Forgotten Marriage
  • Blackwolf's Redemption
  • The Forbidden Wife
Julia lives in England with her family. Mills and Boon novels were Julia's first "grown up" books she read as a teenager ("Alongside Georgette Heyer and Daphne du Maurier."), and she's been reading them ever since.

Julia adores the English countryside ("And the Celtic countryside!"), in all its seasons, and is fascinated by all things historical, from castles to cottages. She also has a special lov
More about Julia James...
Baby of Shame For Pleasure...or Marriage? (Models & Millionaires, #1) Greek Tycoon, Waitress Wife An Heir for the Millionaire The Greek's Virgin Bride