Start by marking “His Penniless Beauty” as Want to Read:
His Penniless Beauty

His Penniless Beauty

Four years ago, Sophie loved Nikos Kazandros with all her heart. What she didn't know was that Nikos would take her virginity and then move on....

Now, not knowing where to turn for money, Sophie has taken a job she wouldn't normally have considered. But on her very first night things go disastrously wrong when she bumps into...Nikos. He's outraged to see how she's earning

ebook, Harlequin Presents #2931, 142 pages
Published July 1st 2010 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about His Penniless Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Penniless Beauty

seton
May 30, 2010 seton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans who like the really over-the-top melodramatic Presents
Shelves: d-n-f, category
Four yrs ago, Sophie was a concert pianist. Now, she is a professional escort. Oh, the shame of it! The degradation! Brought to you by the author of Baby Of Shame.

This was my first Julia James. And my last. Way too over-the-top for me.

Ultra dramatic writing style.

Written. In. Very. Short. Sentences.

With lots of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lots of unnecessary, ridiculous, pontificating, overblown, specious, wasteful, exorbitant, gratuitous, profuse adjectives!!!!!!!!!!!!
seton
Jun 05, 2010 seton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the American version of Penniless and Purchased. Same story, different title.

This was my first Julia James. And my last. Way too over-the-top for me.

Ultra dramatic writing style.

Written. In. Very. Short. Sentences.

With lots of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lots of unnecessary, ridiculous, pontificating,
Lynsey A
This was a little ridiculous that the heroine's only choice to earn extra money was to be an escort. I mean later in the book we find out she turned down working at a "bar job" because of the sexual harrassment she would receive. Seriously? Because there is no harrassment when working as an "escort." Albeit, she did have another job as a shoe clerk and did need more money but the escort storyline was just created for drama and was a bit over the top.

This book didn't really do it for me. I felt t
Jacqueline
seriously? you are broke and the only way you can think of to make money is to be an escort? Waiting tables too good for you?
Lisa Kay
★★★★✩ Okay, it's cold and rainy here. I worked my butt off over the week-end cleaning out the garage and all I wanted to do is crawl back under the covers and read! I knew I'd read this before, but it has been awhile. I've always loved James' plots so I grabbed this one out of the "donate to library book sale" pile and snuggles under the covers.

When I came back on to GRs I was suprised I only rated this one three stars the first time. Shows what a moody read I am. Sure, seems like the heroine c
Dianna
As a guileless teenager, Sophie spent happy days at piano college and every afternoon, walked home across the park to her millionaire father’s millionaire mansion in London. She’s not talented enough to be anything more than a plinky piano player, but she’s daddy’s princess so everything will be lovely always, and while she’s spoiled she’s a really nice girl. She’s a little troubled because daddy is a bit worried about money, but it’s probably nothing terribly important and then one afternoon, b ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
This was a very sad story and until the last chapter I kept thinking….no these two people will never be together!!!

A sophisticated, rich and handsome hero is captivated by a very young, innocent and endearing heroine, who very quickly is enthralled for the first time in life and after being seduced by the hero, believes she has found her knight in shining armour and being young and immature tells that to him!!

So what does Nikos do??? He throws her away and accuses her of using her body to get hi
StMargarets
Does anyone remember that TV show Lost in Space? In it a drama llama named Doctor Smith would bleat out, "Oh, the pain. The pain!" when things didn't go his way. He was usually in some kind of pain of his own making and he enjoyed the drama.

This is story about a heroine drowning in that sort of melodramatic pain - whether it is financial pain, bittersweet memories of her courtship with the hero, fear for her future, humiliation for working as an escort, or despair of ever seeing the hero again.
RLA
Feb 10, 2012 RLA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The hero Nikos is at a party that he really doesn't want to be at when he sees Sophie, the heroine, dressed up like a tart and on the arm of a lecherous businessman. He is reminded of how Sophie and her innocence were once his, and now she seems anything but innocent, and his anger gets the better of him. Sophie is devastated to see Nikos for the first time since he abandoned her and her whole world had come crashing down. She especially hates that he has to see her now, in her lowest moment, ac ...more
Jenny
Apr 07, 2016 Jenny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No plot plus the writing style is atrocious! Endless inner monologues and descriptions and zero dialogue.
Missy
Dec 16, 2012 Missy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet fairytale like romance....a wonderfully sweet good daughter falls in love with a Greek knight in shining armour then misunderstandings happen & he leaves her in the poor house. Her father falls ill & major money is required for him to get well leaving the daughter no choice but to become an dinner escort. Enter the Greek knight who sees this & sets out to rescue her for her own good. They can't help but to be drawn back together by their love but will it be enough to conquer ...more
Nishtha
Jan 05, 2016 Nishtha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A very emotional book.

A tearjerker.

Four stars.

Sophie was abandoned and insulted by Nikos Kazandros five years ago. After dating her and taking her to the moon, he left her behind thinking she was just after his money.

Sophie's father was facing a huge problem. A big debt which kept piling up, he had just one person who could help him, Nikos. Her dad never told her of his problems, she was the apple of his eye. But after Nikos leaves her, he leaves the last option her dad had.

Five years later, N
Mo
Nov 28, 2014 Mo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Should the h have forgiven the H in the end?

Should the H have got away with his abysmal assumptions, considering the destruction they wrought?

Should the H have got to the end without the h kicking him repeatedly in the nuts?

description
Danielle
Miss
Jun 20, 2010 Miss rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Now, not knowing where to turn for money, Sophie has taken a job she wouldn't normally have considered. But on her very first night things go disastrously wrong when she bumps into.Nikos. He's outraged to see how she's earning a living and knows he needs to stop her immediately. But the only way to do that is to keep her close and pay for her time...

My i
Su
May 16, 2016 Su rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
H`s love is unconvincing. He is mean SOB. He is a billionaire, yet scared to death lose money in helping to h`s father who is in dire financial trouble. When she mentions marriage and his help to her father after they are in bed first time together, he leaves her after throwing terrible insults her way. Mind you, she is very young and has just given her virginity to him!
Some plots are really far from being romantic. It is plain annoying.
Lena Papanikolaou
Το δεύτερο βιβλίο που διαβάζω από τη James.Ξεκινάει πολύ έντονα και περιμένεις τη συνέχεια που δεν έρχεται ποτέ.Μαγικές έντονες περιγραφές συναισθημάτων και μόνο.Επικεντρώνεται όμως μόνο σε αυτές και όχι στην πλοκή.5 αστεράκια για τα συναισθήματα των ηρώων και 2,5 για την πλοκή. Από τα πιο σκοτεινές και μελαγχολικές ιστορίες αγάπης που διάβασα ποτέ.Δε ξέρεις τι έχει γίνει μέχρι τις τελευταίες σελίδες του βιβλίου. Ιδιόρρυθμο και αξέχαστο.Με προβλημάτισε και με πίκρανε...
Paula Brandon
Tonya Warner
Sophie had always been well protected and shielded from the hardships of life by her loving father. Allowed to fulfill her childhood dreams of playing the piano, and pampered beyond belief, the arrival of Nikos in to her life seemed to add to the fantastic fairytale existance she lead. But like many fairytales, there is often a grim reminder that things are not always as they appear.

For four years, Nikos has lived with the betrayal he felt when Sophie gave him her virginity, in the hopes they wo
Vanessa Jaye
The balance between introspection, flashbacks and the pacing/development of the current day romance didn't quite work for me. And all exclamations peppered throughout the story might have been for emotional emphasis, but they were ultimately distracting.

I haven't rated this one because I'm not sure what rate to assigned. There were several good elements--a nice twist at the end, and I did believe the characters had been in love previously and that they'd never felt that way about anyone else si
Sarah Winters
I have no idea what possessed me to read this - but I did. Now with the deed done, I'm left wondering why no one has gifted this author with a thesaurus. Her over-excessive use of the terms 'sheered off the memory' and 'razored breath' made me groan and skip pages until Bam! There's the same phrase all over again. Plot wise you could see where this one was going from reading the back cover and the heroine's emo-like despair at her situation makes her kinda suck. I spent most of the book hating t ...more
Caro
Feb 22, 2015 Caro rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: h-mnb-s
An ok read. There was a lot of anguish, a few parts where things were worded a little off for me and kinda slow, but overall a good book. I mostly liked the characters and the book was written well and flowed. There were some head-knocking moments, plenty of emotions, strength, assumptions, surprises, and a good HEA ending. A good book for something to read or passing time but probably not something I would seek out. Good Luck
elstaffe
I was happily puttering along through this book, somewhat disappointed that it was just a normal Presents and not living up to the crack I had heard about, when all of a sudden...WHAM. The crazy. It appeared.
Storm Chase
Jul 21, 2014 Storm Chase rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of angst with little characterisation, practically no plot, and all built around the idea that women are greedy hos who need to be redeemed by being dragged into the gutter. A dreadful book. Glad I got it second hand. Am binning it.
Viridiana Ivashkov
malo, muuuy malo ¬¬ para quemarse
Carmela
Jun 27, 2013 Carmela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
che carinooooooooo
Kitty
Nov 16, 2014 Kitty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
still wondering why there's a Eiffel tower in the background...
other than that it your regular HP book
Brittney Bower
i thought it was just plain sad how there first relationship ended. and how she tried to keep it ell together.
Sandra
Jan 01, 2015 Sandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wordy
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Italian's Blackmailed Mistress
  • The Man Who Risked it All
  • The Bride's Awakening
  • Bride, Bought and Paid For (Harlequin Presents, #2907)
  • Wedding Date with Mr. Wrong
  • Blackmailed Bride, Inexperienced Wife (Innocent Wives #3)
  • Once a Ferrara Wife... (Ferrara, #1)
  • The Greek's Pregnant Lover (Traditional Greek Husbands #2; Greek Tycoons #7)
  • The Divorce Party (The Delicious De Campos, #1)
  • At the Count's Bidding
  • The Forbidden Wife
  • Marriage Made on Paper (Forrester, #1)
  • Cavelli's Lost Heir (Modern Romance)
  • His Mistress for a Million
  • Betrayal in Bali
  • The Infamous Italian's Secret Baby
  • One Night Pregnancy
  • The Melendez Forgotten Marriage
Julia lives in England with her family. Mills and Boon novels were Julia's first "grown up" books she read as a teenager ("Alongside Georgette Heyer and Daphne du Maurier."), and she's been reading them ever since.

Julia adores the English countryside ("And the Celtic countryside!"), in all its seasons, and is fascinated by all things historical, from castles to cottages. She also has a special lov
More about Julia James...