Start by marking “In Joy Still Felt: The Autobiography, 1954-1978” as Want to Read:
In Joy Still Felt: The Autobiography, 1954-1978

In Joy Still Felt: The Autobiography, 1954-1978 (The Autobiography of Isaac Asimov #2)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  255 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The second volume in the autobiography of this prolific science fiction writer, who was also a child prodigy and a renowned professor. This recounts his career from his first book to his 200th, from early rejections to critical acclaim. Photographs, a catalog of his books by Asimov, title and name indexes.
Hardcover, 1st, 840 pages
Published April 1st 1980 by Doubleday & Co. (Garden City, NY)

To ask other readers questions about In Joy Still Felt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Joy Still Felt

Lisa
Dec 31, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I have always enjoyed Isaac Asimov's writing style and envied his breadth of knowledge. In other words, I went into this book fully expecting to enjoy myself.

I did.

Asimov's conversational style is just easy for me to read. It's like talking to a dear friend, who is utterly fascinating, even though he is especially fascinated with himself. He brought me up to date on what happened in Volume 1, and gave hints about what happens In Volume 3.

Did I mention that he is also fascinated with himself? Fou
Andy
Oct 01, 2014 Andy rated it really liked it
To begin with, I think one has to be a serious Isaac Asimov fan in order to be willing to slog through over 1400 pages of his two part autobiography. This book, and the volume 1 companion, "In memory yet green" (which I read years ago), are definitely not for the faint of heart, or the casual reader.

Having said that, I really enjoyed this book. I have always enjoyed Isaac Asimov's writing style - both his Sci Fi stuff, as well as his non-fiction science writing. I'm also old enough to remember A
Mary JL
Aug 31, 2010 Mary JL rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fnas of Asimov; Scienc Fiction; Biography
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author.
This is the second volume of Asimov's 2-volume autobiography. Asimov kept a diary for yearsnad the book is quite detailed--over 1,000 pages.

But as a man who make a living writing on muliple subjects--fiction and non-fiction--Asimov's skilled write and clear prose style makes this book read quickly.

Asimov is a great storyteller, and tells many interesting anecdotes and stories. Again, as in the first volume of his auto biography (In memory Yet Green), the subject is not just Asimov hosmelf.

There
Mike Drew
Apr 27, 2016 Mike Drew rated it it was amazing
I loved Asimov ever since I came across Second Foundation and Currents of Space at the age of 8 or 9, nearly 60 years ago. His character as the "Good Doctor" in his introduction to his science articles in the Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (read by me in the many collective volumes) has probably done more to shape me than anything else in my life.
His writing is unputdownable regardless the subject he his writing about. His autobiographies just provide a huge amount to read. Much of wh
Scott Golden
Mar 03, 2014 Scott Golden rated it really liked it
More about the life of writing's least humble workaholic.
Inevitably repetitive; yet, still endlessly fascinating.
Tom Cole
Aug 09, 2011 Tom Cole rated it it was amazing
FINISHED THIS HUGE BOOK. This book follows the equally gigantic tome IN MEMORY YET GREEN. Good titles. I'm skipping that one. In IN JOY STILL FELT, his descriptions of everyday events is fascinating somehow. I need to get my own copy after I take this back to the library. UPDATE: Got one really cheap cheap on ebay. It's the hardback with a plastic cover. Nice. Eleven bucks including postage.

I, ASIMOV is his third and smaller autobiography, and I'll read that next. Like I, ROBOT -- get it? Har.
Tom Cole
Aug 09, 2011 Tom Cole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm on about page 600 now. This book follows the equally gigantic tome IN MEMORY YET GREEN. Good titles. I'm skipping that one. In IN JOY STILL FELT, his descriptions of everyday events is fascinating somehow. I need to get my own copy after I take this back to the library.

Jay Gabler
Feb 08, 2016 Jay Gabler rated it it was amazing
If you liked "In Memory Yet Green," you'll...also like "In Joy Still Felt"!
Stanley Daugherty
Perhaps one of the most honest autobiographies I have ever read. Contains not only the accomplishments and self-praises but many of Asimov's weaknesses and foibles as well. It may seem too self-centered for many readers, but it can be very entertaining for those who appreciate his candor and sense of humor.
Scott
Mar 01, 2011 Scott rated it it was amazing
Asimov's autobiography is as much fun to reread as it was to read the first time. Unfortunately, reading it prompted me to spend way too much on Amazon getting other books of his.
Curtiss
Aug 20, 2009 Curtiss rated it really liked it
The Good Doctor's autobiography of his life from the age of 34 thru 58, as told "in excruciating detail" according to The Good Doctor himself.
Rick
Aug 13, 2009 Rick rated it it was amazing
Interesting autobiography of master sci-fi writer Asimov. One of several and over 1000 pages
Alloy32881
A wealth of information is contained within. I can't wait to read the other 2 books in the series.
Rose Ann
Jun 22, 2015 Rose Ann rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rose Ann by: found on shelf at library
4/11/2014 -- I am reading this for the 3rd time.
Marilyn
Jul 25, 2012 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Good stories. Enjoyed it, despite minutia.
Phil
Jan 31, 2011 Phil rated it it was amazing
What a fascinating life he lived
Russ Olsen
May 29, 2010 Russ Olsen rated it really liked it
Proof that you just can't put it down.
Bakunin
Bakunin marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
nlytmr
nlytmr marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Nessa
Nessa marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Avi
Avi rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Stefano Saini
Stefano Saini marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
April
April marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
William Power
William Power rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Tayvon Johnson
Tayvon Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Vijay
Vijay marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Amanda Severance
Amanda Severance rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2016
  • The Way the Future Was: A Memoir
  • Robert A. Heinlein: In Dialogue with His Century: Volume 1 (1907-1948): Learning Curve
  • The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction
  • Storyteller: Writing Lessons & More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop
  • The Bradbury Chronicles: The Life of Ray Bradbury
  • James Tiptree, Jr.: The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon
  • Prince of the City: The True Story of a Cop Who Knew Too Much
  • The Devil Drives: A Life of Sir Richard Burton
  • Tomorrow Now: Envisioning the Next Fifty Years
  • Quarrel & Quandary: Essays
  • In Search of History
  • The Name Above The Title
  • Orbital Decay (Near Space, #1)
  • Trillion Year Spree: The History of Science Fiction
  • Here at The New Yorker
  • Groucho and Me
  • Life of the Party: The Biography of Pamela Digby Churchill Hayward Harriman
  • The Rockefellers: An American Dynasty

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...

The Autobiography of Isaac Asimov (3 books)
  • In Memory Yet Green: The Autobiography, 1920-1954