The Door with Seven Locks
Open Preview read book

The Door with Seven Locks

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Dick Martin is leaving Scotland Yard. His final job, investigating a stolen book, takes him via a conversation with the librarian Sybil Lansdown to Gallows Cottage and a meeting with Doctor Stalletti. Tommy Crawler, Bertram Cody's chauffeur, is also there. Arriving home, Martin finds Lew Pheeney being followed by a man for whom he recently worked. “Doing what?” demands Mar...more
Published May 14th 2001 by House of Stratus (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about The Door with Seven Locks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Door with Seven Locks

King Kong by Delos W. LovelaceThe Black Abbot by Edgar WallaceThe Four Just Men by Edgar WallaceThe Avenger by Edgar WallaceThe Ringer by Edgar Wallace
Hello, this is ... Edgar Wallace!
16th out of 24 books — 4 voters
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldTrapping the Butterfly by Debra ParmleyThe Portable Dorothy Parker by Dorothy ParkerThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha ChristieBrideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
I am '20s, hear me roar!
245th out of 251 books — 100 voters

More lists with this book...

Sarah Sammis
I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though I had solved the mystery 2/3 of the way through the story. The book reads like a Saturday matinee serial with quick chapters, lots of action and cliff hangers. The romance at the end feels tacked on. There is no reason for the detective and the librarian to fall for each other!
Kathy
A bit more Gothic than the other Wallace books I've read. Perky but swooning heroine. Reserved but smitten hero. Pathetic monsters in the dark. Creepy tomb. Creepy house. Still, a fun read.
Dfordoom
Combines a mystery thriller plot with considerable dashes of gothic horror, and just the faintest hint of science fiction. It’s a bizarre mix, but through sheer bravado Wallace somehow makes it work.
Karen
The first Edgar Wallace I've read; it was quite decent.
Elley
Could not put it down!
Πάνος Τουρλής
Τα μυθιστορήματα του Ουάλλας είναι γεμάτα από ολοζώντανο ρεαλισμό και ανατομικές γνώσεις της ψυχολογίας των εγκληματιών. Στην εποχή του θεωρήθηκε ο πιο δημοφιλής μυθιστοριογράφος και δραματικός συγγραφέας. Αναμενόμενο αλλά συναρπαστικό βιβλίο.
Robbo
Good times but weak compared to some of the others in this series. Still, a page turner, however with a rather lack-lustre ending.
oOSarahOo
An enjoyable enough read but not one of the best books by Wallace. I just found out that a film adaptation was made in 1940, I will definitely try to see it if I get a chance.
Sandra Vilka
8/10. Ar visai šokējošiem secinājumiem, it īpaši tādam gana mierīgam autoram. Interesanta stāsta līnija un piesaistoši galvenie varoņi.
Polly
By no means my favourite Edgar Wallace, but it's not bad--full of all the usual suspense, melodrama and capital-R Romance!
Anupama
Anupama is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
Jarlei
Jarlei marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Anthony Henriques
Anthony Henriques marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Pamela
Pamela added it
Aug 02, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Vidya Bhaskar
Vidya Bhaskar marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Jodete
Jodete added it
Jul 23, 2014
Tsubaki
Tsubaki marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Shawnee
Shawnee marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Richard Horatio Edgar Wallace (April 1, 1875-February 10, 1932) was a prolific British crime writer, journalist and playwright, who wrote 175 novels, 24 plays, and countless articles in newspapers and journals.

Over 160 films have been made of his novels, more than any other author.

In the 1920s, one of Wallace's publishers claimed that a quarter of all books read in England were written by him.

He i...more
More about Edgar Wallace...
The Four Just Men  (The Four Just Men #1) The Clue of the Twisted Candle The Daffodil Murder The Angel Of Terror The Crimson Circle