Start by marking “Classroom Assessment: What Teachers Need to Know” as Want to Read:
Classroom Assessment: What Teachers Need to Know

Classroom Assessment: What Teachers Need to Know

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  7 reviews

Classroom Assessment: What Teachers Need to Know, 5/e

By James Popham

Written with style and grace, this text focuses on what classroom teachers really need to know about assessment rather than looking at a collection of measurement esoterica. This well-written book is grounded in the reality of teaching today to show real-world teachers who want to use assessment in thei

Published May 18th 2004 by Allyn & Bacon (first published November 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Classroom Assessment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classroom Assessment

Joel
This is probably the most readable textbook I have ever encountered. I congratulate Mr. Popham. Plus, if you're going to be a teacher, assessment is pretty important thing to know about.
This book has some good information. Many chapters I absolutely agreed with and found very informative.

However, I think the main points could be greatly distilled into an even more useful, short handbook for teacher's to refer to as opposed to the full textbook.

Also very elementary teacher geared.

Only a teacher with one class of students would ever be able to implement some of the improvements suggested in this book.

I'm not discounting elementary teachers, but a lot of this text is overly ideali
Cocoshirley
He uses a pretty casual tone, which makes it easier to get through. I kept thinking that it could use a better editing job, though, as some points are reviewed over and over. To me, one of the best things you can take away from reading this book is how to interpret standardized testing and the place that high stakes testing has in current classrooms.
Heather
Fairly easy read. Very informative. Many parts went over my head simply because I have a hard time with data and statistics not because of the presentation of the author. Popham did a really good job of spicing up an otherwise boring topic.
Brenda
Jun 21, 2008 Brenda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Recommended
This book should be required reading for every classroom teacher. If they were not required to take a course in classroom assessment this book will definately help!
Lisa
Another book that had a major influence on how I teach.
Heather
Loved what he has to say about assessment.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Tracey
Tracey added it
Dec 19, 2014
Angélica Inostroza
Angélica Inostroza marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Bee Cee
Bee Cee is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2014
Susana Tadios
Susana Tadios marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Rob
Rob added it
Aug 27, 2014
Ibrahim Rasheed
Ibrahim Rasheed marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Bethany Lockhart
Bethany Lockhart is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Transformative Assessment Test Better, Teach Better: The Instructional Role of Assessment Truth about Testing: An Educator's Call to Action America's Failing Schools: How Parents and Teachers Can Cope with No Child Left Behind Everything School Leaders Need to Know about Assessment