Start by marking “Classroom Assessment: What Teachers Need to Know” as Want to Read:
Classroom Assessment: What Teachers Need to Know

Classroom Assessment: What Teachers Need to Know

Although Popham (emeritus, U. of California at Los Angeles) is clearly uncomfortable with the accountability tests mandated by the No Child Left Behind Act and other U.S. federal and state statutes, he concedes that they form the framework of assessment practice today and therefore incorporates disc
Published May 18th 2004 by Allyn & Bacon (first published November 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Classroom Assessment, please sign up.

Adhi, This book is very useful and this book is for teachers. This book teaches the teachers how to frame questions and use the marks of the students to…moreThis book is very useful and this book is for teachers. This book teaches the teachers how to frame questions and use the marks of the students to guide their lesson plans.(less)

Joel
Mar 02, 2009 Joel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the most readable textbook I have ever encountered. I congratulate Mr. Popham. Plus, if you're going to be a teacher, assessment is pretty important thing to know about.
Dec 24, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some good information. Many chapters I absolutely agreed with and found very informative.

However, I think the main points could be greatly distilled into an even more useful, short handbook for teacher's to refer to as opposed to the full textbook.

Also very elementary teacher geared.

Only a teacher with one class of students would ever be able to implement some of the improvements suggested in this book.

I'm not discounting elementary teachers, but a lot of this text is overly ideali
Julianna
Mar 31, 2015 Julianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
While extremely readable, this textbook was not one that I would recommend buying. Rent or borrow it if you can. Most of the information provided was what I would consider to be general knowledge among teachers and nothing that would be found to be new or enlightening. I found it to be rather repetitious and in need of some good editing. This was a fine supplementary text to my graduate course on classroom assessment, however I don't feel the need to hold on to it for future reference.
Courtney
He uses a pretty casual tone, which makes it easier to get through. I kept thinking that it could use a better editing job, though, as some points are reviewed over and over. To me, one of the best things you can take away from reading this book is how to interpret standardized testing and the place that high stakes testing has in current classrooms.
Heather
Apr 18, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly easy read. Very informative. Many parts went over my head simply because I have a hard time with data and statistics not because of the presentation of the author. Popham did a really good job of spicing up an otherwise boring topic.
Cora Lee
One of the better textbooks I've read. It was full of practical information and very well written. Would I pick it up and read it for fun? No. Will I keep it around for further reference? Quite possibly.
Brenda
Jun 21, 2008 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Recommended
This book should be required reading for every classroom teacher. If they were not required to take a course in classroom assessment this book will definately help!
Bethany Lockhart
Feb 27, 2015 Bethany Lockhart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mat
Great resource, but definitely get the most up to date edition.
Lisa
Jan 07, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book that had a major influence on how I teach.
Heather
Jul 26, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved what he has to say about assessment.
Alex Kinney
Alex Kinney rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2016
Angie
Angie is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2016
M.Rajakanthi
M.Rajakanthi marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Ren
Ren is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Madeline
Madeline rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2016
Stacy Bennett
Stacy Bennett rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Sarah Ackerman
Sarah Ackerman rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Vidal
Vidal marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
my-ngoc ngo
my-ngoc ngo rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Zhengtai Wan
Zhengtai Wan marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Medya Minalisa
Medya Minalisa marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016