Start by marking “Advice for New Faculty Members” as Want to Read:
Advice for New Faculty Members

Advice for New Faculty Members

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Advice for New Faculty Members: Nihil Nimus is a unique and essential guide to the start of a successful academic career. As its title suggests (nothing in excess), it advocates moderation in ways of working, based on the single-most reliable difference between new faculty who thrive and those who struggle. By following its practical, easy-to-use rules, novice faculty ...more
Published January 31st 2000 by Pearson

To ask other readers questions about Advice for New Faculty Members, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Advice for New Faculty Members

Britt
Dec 16, 2008 Britt rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of really excellent advice to help any new faculty member survive their first years on the job. Working in "brief regular sessions" is a fantastic and non-intuitive idea and I urge anyone who's feeling overwhelmed with their work, in teaching, research, or writing, to give it a try.

However, for a book that is subtitled "Nihil Nimus," meaning "nothing in excess," this book sure is wordy and repetitive. It also dwells far too much on convincing the reader that the advice works,
Meredith
Dec 18, 2012 Meredith rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, adult
TERRIBLE writing, but seems like good, sane advice about starting a faculty job.
Anterobot Garcia
Jun 27, 2012 Anterobot Garcia rated it did not like it
Advice for readers of Advice for new faculty members: don't bother.
Leigh
Aug 01, 2009 Leigh rated it liked it
I quit reading this page by page after the first couple of chapters. While I hate being one of those people that says "it sounds great, but it won't work for me" I think that is where I stand. Tackling big projects like teaching, writing and service in smaller packages on a somewhat daily sounds good to many people, but it is something that I am not good at. I feel like I get in such a rut and don't really get anything done. And that I am jumping around from thing to thing, which gets exhausting ...more
Robin Bernstein
Jun 03, 2012 Robin Bernstein rated it it was amazing
When I read this book, much of the advice struck me as counter-intuitive. But I decided to give Boice's system a shot, and the results were simply life-changing. The book is written in a dry style, and I don't recommend reading it in one sitting. It's probably best to read this book in the way that Boice recommends doing all academic work: in brief, regular sessions. And by the way, although this book is intended for junior faculty, almost all the advice is equally applicable to grad students.
Carolyn Judge
Jul 02, 2016 Carolyn Judge rated it it was amazing
I read this book after making tenure. While I made tenure without any concerns, I did so by becoming extremely stressed and miserable. This book is providing me with a road map to staying in academia and finding happiness there. If not for the ideas and guidance suggested, I would likely be looking for a new career.
Alex Wang
Dec 30, 2011 Alex Wang rated it liked it
It provides applicable guidance for new faculty members with respect to teaching, research, and service. The rules are based on the emprirical observations and filed studies accumulated over years by the author.
Very useful and easy to follow.
Applicable to different disciplines.
Nicole
Jul 30, 2007 Nicole rated it it was amazing
this book is indispensable! even though i'm not heading off to a new job yet this fall, it's really helped me think about my writing and my teaching as i finish up the diss and get ready to head back out on the job market.
Rebecca
Jun 09, 2011 Rebecca marked it as to-read
At first I thought it was too touchy-feely, but I'm a little impatient sometimes. I've since grown to appreciate the advice for freewrites and for conscientious inquiry into what I want to accomplish.
Stanley Hall
Feb 21, 2009 Stanley Hall rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It applies mindfulness concepts to the practices of teaching, writing, and researching. Has dramatically affected my daily routines.
Sheila
Jun 15, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it
Great reference book for any faculty that cares about their teaching.
Risa
Oct 28, 2011 Risa rated it really liked it
Advice for New Faculty Members by Robert Boice (2000)
Jessica
Nov 13, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Helpful advice for people new to my career.
Natalia
Natalia is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
Dave Kocsis
Dave Kocsis marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Luber Kant
Luber Kant marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Stacy Barnes
Stacy Barnes marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Jaelyn
Jaelyn marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Luke
Luke is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2016
Joniada
Joniada marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Morgan
Morgan rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Jerzy
Jerzy marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Burcu B. Keskin
Burcu B. Keskin rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Karlyn
Karlyn rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Peter Karpov
Peter Karpov marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Melber
Melber added it
Jun 24, 2016
E
E rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
  • Writing Your Journal Article in 12 Weeks: A Guide to Academic Publishing Success
  • From Dissertation to Book
  • Teaching What You Don't Know
  • What They Didn't Teach You in Graduate School: 199 Helpful Hints for Success in Your Academic Career
  • How to Write a Lot: A Practical Guide to Productive Academic Writing
  • Destination Dissertation: A Traveler's Guide to a Done Dissertation
  • How College Affects Students: Volume 2 - A Third Decade of Research
  • Writing Your Dissertation in Fifteen Minutes a Day
  • Engaging Ideas: The Professor's Guide to Integrating Writing, Critical Thinking, and Active Learning in the Classroom
  • What the Best College Teachers Do
  • Mama, PhD: Women Write about Motherhood and Academic Life
  • Tricks of the Trade: How to Think about Your Research While You're Doing It
  • Tools for Teaching
  • Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.
  • Stylish Academic Writing
  • Presumed Incompetent: The Intersections of Race and Class for Women in Academia
  • The Undercommons: Fugitive Planning & Black Study