Start by marking “The Balance of Silence” as Want to Read:
The Balance of Silence

The Balance of Silence (Ylendrian Empire #1)

3.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Welcome to the jungle where the found are lost and the lost are redeemed.

Riv is a man adrift, hoping that running supplies for ReliefCorp will restore his faith in mankind and in himself. Deep in the war-torn Maltana rainforest, he stumbles upon a local bar that suits his mood: good food, bad attitude. The entertainment, though, is unexpected. A skilled piano player who av
Published September 14th 2010 by Samhain Publishing (first published September 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Balance of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Balance of Silence

Ami
Sep 22, 2010 Ami rated it it was ok
Uhm, I have few issues. First, I find it a bit difficult to get into in the beginning. Then, I don't know why, but I cannot seem to click with Riv, whenever he is NOT with Ducks. Oh, when he is with Ducks, I love it. There is tenderness and budding relationship; but when he is not with Ducks, I feel lost. And the ending is way too rushed! I want to know how Ducks get his voice back. In fact, I want Riv to have something to do with the healing process. Maybe it should have few more pages
Cole Riann
This story really drew me in, because I’ve loved science fiction ever since I got hooked on the Ender series in high school. This book was on its way to carving another place in my heart. Then, halfway through it lost its steam and started to fall flat. It kept my interest all the way through and ended up being a great story, but there were a few difficulties that really bothered me and threw me out of the story — namely, several important events that happened off-page and were only told later i ...more
Book Utopia
Jan 11, 2011 Book Utopia rated it it was ok
Mandi
Jun 10, 2011 Mandi rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance-mm
2 stars. Really good read which had me interested the whole time...until the end.

(view spoiler)
Claire
Jun 11, 2016 Claire rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, 2016
I had high hopes, since I love romance novels and I love sci-fi, but I was pretty disappointed in this one. I finished it, since it was a short and easy read, but it left me a little cold. The story jumped around a lot, leaving too many things unexplained (and not in the good worldbuilding or showing-n0t-telling way). The feelings between the characters seemed sudden and without any reason for why Riv had feelings for Ducks. And then, after all of that, the payoff was pretty disappointing!

I sti
Bookwatcher
Nov 21, 2011 Bookwatcher rated it did not like it
Not for me... tried but never feel the connection between the main couple... and worst, I didn't like the write style and the jumping in the timeline. Too much confusing.

Abandoned...

(indeed very disturbing... very very very creepy abandoned clown train!)
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I really enjoyed this book and am surprise by the low ratings. I'm sad that the next book in this series is not only menage but MMF. I really don't enjoy that. I'm going to look at what else the author did, though.

(view spoiler)
Marie
Feb 28, 2012 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine, read-in-2012
This one has been on my laptop for far too long. I am not a fan of e-books. I thought I could get used to them but hard as I try, it still feels alien to me to read novels on my screen. I need paper, I need a solid copy, I need to turn the pages, I need ink.

There are, however, people in this world that can make me get over all that and actually sit down and read a book on my screen. Two of these people have written this book. Reesa Herberth is a wonderful woman whose writing career I was lucky
Elisa Rolle
The story starts as an post-apocalypse sci-fi romance and I was like, uhm, not bad but not really my thing; I have to be true, sci-fi/futuristic romance are not really my cup of tea unless the authors don’t go out-tracking from the usual path, spaceships and aliens are not my kink. This story in particular caught me for the mute character of Ducks, I’m always interested in reading a romance between characters with a disability, I think it needs more carefulness from the authors’s side.

But the s
SA
Dec 31, 2011 SA rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This was great--it had all the elements I love, from science fiction futurism to a slowly unfolding romance--but it suffers from being shoehorned into the m/m publishing scene. A good editor would have midwifed this story into something significantly more robust in scope. You can clearly see all the points where the story could have been fleshed out, the emotional progression taken, but instead was left unwritten or cut to make it a short, cheap novella.

Which is not to say I don't recommend it-
winegirl
Aug 17, 2015 winegirl rated it did not like it
I read this after reading In Discretion from Reesa Herberth a short set in the same world. I really liked the short, this however was painful to read. I can't even be bothered to review all the problems I found with this book, after I finished reading I found a review from Book Utopia that hit most of the the same issues I had with it. Best thing I can say about it is editing was done well. Not sure about continuing with any others in the series...
Tame
Sep 26, 2010 Tame rated it it was amazing
Cait Miller
Sep 17, 2010 Cait Miller rated it really liked it
SaturNalia
Started out strong then fizzled out. They are attracted to each other, but one is too emotionally and mentally damaged so they are separated. They fall in love through telephone calls and letters. We never see how Ducks is healed. That would have been interesting, to sit in on his therapy sessions. Really chased sexually, nothing more then kissing and some groping. Just an ok story.
Sam Johnsson
Jan 02, 2012 Sam Johnsson rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, spec-fic, gblt
That should be 3.5, but I'm rounding up since I want to encourage the authors. My major flaw with this book was that it needed to be at least again as long to fill in some of the plot arc and make it more coherent. The two main characters were good, and I like the hints of the universe that developed.
Blackravens Reviews
Aug 12, 2011 Blackravens Reviews rated it liked it
The Balance of Silence by Ms. S. Reesa Herbert and Ms. Michelle Moore was a sweet novel about how healing love is. To read this review in its entirety, please visit http://www.blackravensreviews.com/?p=...
Shannon
Aug 29, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
Loved it! My complaints were: longer and more. I would have liked to see where they went in their relationship, and how Ducks felt about his first time. I bet it was sweet and romantic but in guy speak. Lol
Kiki
Sep 16, 2010 Kiki rated it liked it
pretty good, but the ending seemed rushed
K
Aug 03, 2014 K marked it as lurking-in-kindleland
August PIFM book chosen by Kathleen
Shay
Oct 10, 2011 Shay rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
It was ok, kind of sweet with no sex.
Mary Davis
Gary Nealy, Jr.
Gary Nealy, Jr. rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Skm added it
Jun 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Making Contact
  • Eye of Scota (Dalriata, #1)
  • Line and Orbit (Root Code, #1)
  • Alien 'n' Outlaw (Galactic Alliance #2)
  • Fragile Bond
  • Dark Sun (New Seattle, #1)
  • Starfall
  • I Was An Alien Cat Toy
  • Angel 1089 (Heaven Corp., #1)
  • Soothe the Burn
  • Healing in His Wings (Healing #1)
  • Aliens, Smith and Jones
  • Finding King (The Breaker, #1)
  • Bonding (Himiko, #1)
  • Persistence of Memory
  • No Quarter (Bounty, #1)
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • The Nourisher (Border Worlds Saga, #1)
Reesa Herberth grew up in Hawaii, tried Arizona for a few years, and eventually settled in the D.C. area, where they have things like trees and rain.

She’s held a variety of crazy writer jobs, including book and video store manager for a defunct chain of music shops, office goddess for an artisan ice cream maker, cheese-cup scrubber at an organic goat dairy, high school secretary, and dye-stained p
More about Reesa Herberth...

Ylendrian Empire (4 books)
  • The Slipstream Con (Ylendrian Empire, #2)
  • In Discretion (Ylendrian Empire, #3)
  • Peripheral People (Ylendrian Empire, #4)