Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins, #1)

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  9,894 ratings  ·  961 reviews
FIRE BURN AND CAULDRON BUBBLE is the first book in the Jolie Wilkins series. If you like your books steamy (this is a paranormal romance series for adults, not for kids or teens!) and you appreciate a good witch, warlock and vampire romance triangle, read on!

A self-deprecating witch with the unique ability to reanimate the dead.
A dangerously handsome warlock torn between b...more
Published July 2010

To ask other readers questions about Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningDark Lover by J.R. WardMoon Called by Patricia BriggsMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
Best ADULT Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance
98th out of 2,117 books — 4,190 voters
My Blood Approves by Amanda HockingSwitched by Amanda HockingAngelfall by Susan EeFalling From Grace by S.L. NaeoleDark Spirits by Rebekkah Ford
Indie Books - Paranormal Fiction
9th out of 1,821 books — 2,353 voters

More lists with this book...

Trina Lore
Why does Goodreads not have a "Did Not Finish"/"Will Not Finish" shelf? Because that's where I'd put this one (so I added one of my own, but they still made me choose one of the pre-sets). I bought it on my sister's recommendation, and she later apologized for not updating her rec. I thought maybe she was punishing me for procrastinating on finishing a different series that we're both into.

But I digress. I don't often/always review books, but in this case I feel like I have to. This is complete...more
Tracy
Burned and Bubbled My Patience
Jolie Wilkins had been content with her little life, running a shop in L.A. with her best friend Christa and using her abilities to read auras and glimpse futures to provide the business that supported them both. Then she saw the ghost - her first, actually, and soon after her life didn't resemble anything she recognized.

That wasn't the ghost's fault, at least not directly. It was more the influence of one ultra-sexy warlock Rand Balfour, who sent the ghost to Jolie...more
Beth
I used to be one who forced herself to finish every book she started even if she didn't like it - and that was fine when the book I was reading was Moby Dick or some other classic that I felt I should have under my belt. But for 99 cents, and a book about sexy warlocks, I give up.

I like chick-lit (I'm a big fan of the Shopaholic series), and I like paranormal romance (I liked Twilight and I liked Amanda Hocking's vampire series). I think what completely irritates me is when the two are combined...more
Jacob Proffitt
I gave up at the 50% mark. I really wanted to like the book because I sort of liked Jolie. While the writing is mostly good there are three problems that tanked my ability to really engage with the story.

First, and most importantly, the emotional gage was permanently cranked to 11. Jolie reacts to everything like it’s the most important event in the history of ever! In one scene her heart gave enough palpitations I wondered if she’d need an EMT to get her through it. It felt like Jolie (or H.P....more
Alicia
TJ
3.5/5.0

Ok, so this is not rocket science, folks, but it is fun!! And, sometimes that is just what one needs.

Mallory's writing is smooth, upbeat with a light air, while telling stories of witches, vampires and assorted otherworldly beings, all trying to live peaceably - or not - with each other. While Jolie's character gets to be more than a little annoying with her "poor little me, I can't do anything" attitude and her constant actions to prove the point, the addictive storyline, handsome men an...more
Michelle
This is one of those books that you shouldn't judge by it's cover. I sat down with my kindle expecting a light, funny paranormal romance and instead got an action packed urban fantasy tale with witches, fairies, werewolves and vampires!

I was amazed with this one, it took me a couple of chapters to leave my expectations behind but that's when it really hooked me in and I enjoyed every page. I can't wait to find out what happens next, thing's are really starting to heat up for Jolie!

Jenny
Jolie Wilkins is a psychic who is living life quietly running her fortune telling shop until the mysterious Rand, a warlock, turns up on her doorstep and everything changes forever. Offered a job she can not refuse Jolie travels to Chicago where she discovers her special talent. It is this special talent which causes her to be drawn into a world of vampires, magic and mayhem! Watch out for a fun and fast paced journey into this world as Jolie learns about her new life!

Jolie is a very likeable ch...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
If I could take back reading any of this, I would.
Trang
Girl-next-door Jolie one day found herself visited by a drop-dead gorgeous warlock who insisted that she had great potential as a witch and helped her discover her rare talent in resurrecting the dead. Innocent Jolie suddenly was caught up in an Underworld war that had a lot to do with attractive warlocks, vampires, and werewolves who competed against each other over her. While hiding away from the evil witch who tried to rule the Underworld, Jolie did not waste any time practicing magic and eng...more
Mistresslala
I agree with a lot of people who have said the book would be better if the author didn’t feel the need to mention sex on almost every page. I love a good romance and don’t shy away from steamy scenes (especially where vampires are concerned)and felt that often, the sexual aspects of the book are both hit and miss and don’t really add anything to develop the characters or the storyline. It seems like all of a sudden every main male character wants to have a sexual relationship with her. And, alth...more
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble is the first book in the Jolie Wilkins series. We join Jolie's story to find herlivinghappily inignorantbliss, believing she's apsychic; giving readings and fortunes from her quirky little shop with her bestfriendChrista. Turns out the reason she's so good at reading people has nothing to do with being psychic at all, it'sbecauseshe's a witch. She has her eyes forcibly opened to this salientpieceof information by Rand, a rather dashing warlock, who, among other thi...more
Mandi Schreiner
Couldn't finish this one - The tone was cute and the concept was okay but I couldn't grasp the heroines motivations for anything she did. She never thinks before she acts - and it made her into a TSTL heroine. Like going to a party full of vampires (who she had never met before) and because of this ends up having to give up her whole life. Yet, seems to bounce back really quick.

She gets sucked into a dangerous world and then halfway through the book decides to move out of the protection of the o...more
Christine
Jolie is a psychic who has no idea that she is actually a witch. Together with her cat and her best friend she leads a relatively quiet life. Okay, she doesn´t have a boyfriend, but so what. All that changes when one day smoking hot Rand walks into her life. Not only does she meet the very first ghost in her life, she also discovers she has very extraordinary powers. From now on, ghosts are the most normal things she will encounter.

Jolie is is a very down to earth character who sometimes has to...more
Stacey Kennedy
Where do I begin? Oh yes―this book was simply fantastic!! The story revolves around Jolie, a woman on a journey of self-discovery as she learns about her unique abilities as a witch. Powers she was unaware she possessed. When Rand, the undeniably sexy warlock seeks her out to use her special gifts of reanimating the dead, you are taken on a wild ride.

This story was just my cup of tea. It hit all the right spots. The characters are witty and leave a lasting impression. Not only, Jolie and Rand, b...more
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Sep 05, 2012 t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers who love the witch/Vamp/faery combos in their reads
Recommended to t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ by: Katie's Freestyl'n Challenge
HP Mallory brings in a funny, well paced story that will make you smile and get you cheering for Jolie and crew.

Description:

ife isn't bad for psychic Jolie Wilkins. True, she doesn't have a love life to speak of, but she has a cute house in the suburbs of Los Angeles, a cat and a quirky best friend.

Enter Rand Balfour, a sinfully attractive warlock who insists she's a witch and who just might turn her life upside down. Rand hires her to help him solve a mystery regarding the death of his client w...more
Angie
Je n'étais pas du tout convaincue par ce livre les 80 premières pages (dommage car j'aurais pu rajouter une étoile si ce n'était cela), jusqu'à un tournant. Et la, je me suis retrouvée plongée dans l'histoire et curieuse de la voir se dérouler sous mes yeux.
Ce qui commence comme une intrigue quelconque et pas intéressante, ce révèle être une histoire complexe avec de graves enjeux politiques pour les habitants de l'Underworld, partagés entre 2 factions sur le chemin de la guerre pour le contrôl...more
WildAboutBones
H. P. Mallory has come up with yet another delightful story and series. Humorous, good chemistry, fun characters, unexpected twists and turns,with ghosts, vampires, shapeshifting witches and warlocks, Lurkers, werewolves and demons. Drew me in from the first paragraph. It was a quick read, even at 382 pages.

Jolie, 28, is a tarot card reader with a small self esteem issue.

Rand, is a warlock who needs Jolie to go back to the 1920s with him to find out who killed his client, a ghost. Jolie says abo...more
Anna
Could not finish this poorly written, shallow, tediously boring book. It reads like someone trying to rip off the Sookie Stackhouse books but without the skill or any semblance of quality.

The 'heroine' is a vapid, shallow, unpleasant, rude, self centred, thoughtless idiot with a spine of solid jelly. The 'hero', assuming that the First Guy is meant to be the hero, is entirely without character. The supporting cast are a series of cardboard cutouts with cliches attached. The 'plot' is often disr...more
The Flooze
After the cartoon covers of Sookie and Queen Betsy, I should know better than to presume such styles mean a fluffier story.

I can't recall if books one and two of this series were freebies or just frightfully cheap. I do know I didn't purposefully seek them out and so my expectations weren't high.

It was a nice surprise then to find a relatively entertaining series debut. It's not remarkable, but it's basic premise and characterization was enough to keep me engaged. (In a world full of FBS, that'...more
Lorre
Aug 26, 2013 Lorre rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lorre by: Chelsea
Shelves: read-complete
In the beginning of the book Jolie Wilkins is just the normal girl-next-door but with a few pshycic "abnormalities".
She deceided to make a living out of her gifts and has a fortune-telling business together with her bff Christa.

Her quite life is completely turned upside down when Rand, a hot warlock, tells her she's not just a pshycic but she's a witch. And apparantly there is a whole world of otherwordly creatures she never knew existed.

Werewolves, vampires, demons, fairies, pixies... they all...more
Olivia
Upon reading this for a group discussion I fell head over heels for this book. I can agree with some others that Jolie (new found witch)with her lack of self confidence did tend to really get on my nerves. But as I continued it was really a story builder. It just shows you how much she has grown on her journey. I love the witty humor tucked into the story and the sensual tension between Jolie and hmmm all the men she comes into contact with in the underworld...LMBO There is Rand, Sinjin, and Tre...more
Carrie (ICanHasBooks?)
Jolie reads cards and can see auras. In her mind she's just an average girl, especially when she compares herself to her best friend. She hasn't dated in forever and she can't tell her mom what she REALLY does for a living. The day that Rand walks into her store, everything changes. She goes from "average" Jolie to desired Jolie, by some for her looks and other for what she can do.

A very cute and quirky read, you've got witches, a yummy warlock, a sexy vampire, a hot werewolf and fairies, oh ye...more
So, I Read This Book Today
Mallory is a good writer, don't get me wrong. But no matter how well you write, if the character you are writing isn't likable, I just can't get into the book. And Jolie is not likable at all to me, personally. She comes across as a whiny, self centered, brat only interested in having a male take care of her. She is, in a word, vapid. The books are funny in their own way, but not funny enough to put up with Jolie whining and 'romantic angsting' all over the place.

I won't give it a two, because M...more
I did not like this book. I had to struggle through it, skipping more and more on the way. The main female character was empty and uninteresting, I couldn't care less about her fate, moreover, I couldn't find a single thing in Jolie to cause anyone to fall for her. The romance line? I didn't find this "we can't do this" convincing, or "aha, if I can't have him then I will focus on anyone who casted a glimpse on me" romantic.
This book had some potential, but resulted in something that could only...more
Annette
Sadly, I won't finish this book. Main character has had too many "too stupid" moments and when she finds herself in some trouble... I truly just don't care enough to see how she gets out.

I really really wanted to like this, but after avoiding reading *anything* for weeks because I felt guilty not finishing this book, I'm letting it go!
Kim
I really enjoyed this book!! Great characters, great story line. I have been wanting to read this series for a while, and I am so glad I finally started it. I can't wait to read book 2 & 3, and I was happy to see she is writing more in this series!
Karen Fowler
**I read book 3 first (as an ARC) and loved it. So I went back to the beggining of the series to get my Rand / Sinjin fix!**

In some regards, this series starts out as a lot of typical paranormal chick books. Under-confident gal meets mysterious stranger, her life is upended and in the end she gets her hunk and some wicked-cool superpowers.

But this was not your typical paranormal.

Yes, Jolie has a little business reading people's cards (fortunes) but her powers are hit-and miss. Other than her c...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: September 2, 2010 (Available Now)
Publisher: Self-Published
Imprint: N/A
Author’s Website: http://www.hpmallory.com/
My Source for This Book: Gift from the author
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, Jolie Wilkins Series
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Warm
While this is an Urban Fantasy, and therefore sadly lacking in the HEA department, I actually didn’t care, because instead of frustrating me, i...more
  • Me and My Ghoulfriends (Larue Donavan, #1)
  • Opal Fire (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #1)
  • Haunted on Bourbon Street
  • Wicked by Any Other Name (Hex, #3)
  • Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire, #1)
  • How (Not) to Kiss a Toad (Cindy Eller, #1)
  • Easy Bake Coven (Easy Bake Coven, #1)
  • A Tale of 3 Witches
  • Dead Case in Deadwood (Deadwood Mystery, #3)
  • Bound to Remember (Spellbound, #1)
  • Vampire Vacation (The V V Inn, #1)
  • Illicit Magic (Stella Mayweather, #1)
  • Illegal Magic
  • Death's Hand (Descent, #1)
  • The Ghost Hunter (The Hunter, #1)
I started my writing career as a self-published author and was lucky enough to hit both the Amazon and the Barnes and Noble bestseller’s lists with my two series, the Jolie Wilkins series and the Dulcie O’Neil series. Most recently I hit the New York Times and the USA Today lists with books in the Jolie series.

I signed with Random House (Bantam imprint) to write three books in the Jolie Wilkins se...more
More about H.P. Mallory...
To Kill A Warlock (Dulcie O'Neil, #1) Toil and Trouble (Jolie Wilkins, #2) A Tale of Two Goblins (Dulcie O'Neil, #2) Witchful Thinking (Jolie Wilkins, #3) Great Hexpectations (Dulcie O'Neil, #3)

“The only thing separating Americans and Brits is a comman language.” 26 likes
“You want some more?" Christa asked, her right eye drooping like an old lady's pantyhose. It was a sign that Christa was drunk. She said it was a form of lazy eye; I just thought it was hysterical and laughed although I tried to hide it with an inconspicuous cough.” 15 likes