Start by marking “Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox” as Want to Read:
Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox

Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  38 reviews
With inspiring and educational stories, Scholastic's Hello Reader series caters to the spectrum of reading abilities among beginning readers. My First Hello Readers use basic words to reinforce phonics and sight vocabulary. The books at this level offer punch-out flash cards plus six additional pages of skill-building activities. Levels 1 - 4 combine a greater vocabulary a ...more
Published May 1st 1992 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox

Emily Holter
This contemporary realistic fiction book will surely have children laughing and relating along with the main character. This story is about a boy that sees red spots on his face, which makes him realize he has the chicken pox. The story continues as he looks all over his body and sees these red spots. They itch him and make him feel sick. In the end, his chicken pox go away and he can go back to school again.

I would use this book in a kindergarten or 1st grade classroom. This book is a "Hello Re
Sapphire Moosman
Like many of us, I don't remember what it was like when I had the chicken pox. I know that me and my older brother had them together but that is about it. This isn't exactly the best way to try and remember that but is very cute way. It is also a good book to read to a child before they get chicken pox so that when it does happen they aren't frightened. Kids, when the first get sick, tend to be scared, so this is a good way to warn them and get them ready for it.

Have fun reading!
Rebecca Durham sagoe
This book is adorable and laughable for all kids, but especially for those who have chicken pox. I wish this book had been around when I was going through this miserable childhood disease. While reading this book it gave me a good laugh because the little boy was going through the long process of being itchy with the chicken pox. This should be in every home!
Zoraya Brown
I think this would be a very fun book to read with my students! All children will one day be able to relate to this story, as they may all experience or know someone who experiences chicken pox as a child. This book can be used to open up a lesson about what it is, how we get it, what to expect and how to deal with it. We can also use this book for counting.
This book doesn't provide much in the way of information about chicken pox, but it is still an easy and fun read about a boy who is covered all over with chicken pox and how itchy they are and how he can't scratch. Might be fun to read with a child if they get chicken pox.
Claire
this is a good introduction story, and even has some basic counting in it, but it doesn't tell you very much about chicken pox. everything in it is very simply done, including the pictures, sentences and ideas. I would probably not use this in any classroom setting.
Ashley Whiteley
It is a good book to read aloud with children. Also would be good to have them read. It is cute, simple and a fast read.
Ashley Fischer
With this book we could talk about being sick. It could be used to talk about good health and what to do to stay healthy. We could talk about washing hands and covering our mouths when we cough. This book goes through what it’s like to have the chicken pox and what to expect. I think it would be great to read to the class because some students have already gone through it and other will be going through it. We could talk about what will happen when they are sick and miss school. What they should ...more
Sand Storm
One of the most fun books I had to study. Great for English beginners.
Addie
This was one of my favourite childhood picture books. I remember this very clearly and I am sure many other children will enjoy it.
Judy
I tell my grandkids they won't get chicken pox on account of those vaccinations they hate. But I also tell them about their daddy when he had chicken pox 30 years ago and that his rash blisters were THAT BIG and he wrote in his diary "This is the worst day of my life." So the book is good in itself and is useful on a lot of other counts, too, when related to the history of folks in the family.
Jessica
This book is great for beginning readers but lacks in content. There isn't a lot to be learned from this book. It is very simple. The illustrations are fun however. The boy is covered in itchy chicken pox and the illustarter does a good job of getting that point across. I would recommend this book to any beginning reader or a teacher of kindergarten.
Amy
Although most children get vaccinated and don't really get chicken pox anymore, this is a great book when talking about how sometimes we need to miss school because we are sick. This book also has lots of rhyming words. This book has been recommended for children preschool age to 1st grade.
Kathryn Joyce
This book would be perfect for take home reading. When a student is home sick, this may be a good choice to send for encouragement. It can aslo be used in phonics to explain the 'ch' sound. Easy and light read with repetitive vocabulary.
Ashley
Another easy-to-read book (repetition, etc.). I loved reading this book to my mom because there is a kind of rhyme feel to it. Most younger children can relate to having the chicken pox. Fun but simple illustrations.
Christina
This book was a perfect book to read to a 3-5 year old with the chicken pox. The language is catchy and I was forced to read it numerous times over the course of one week. I would highly recommend it.
Carrie
This book is great for beginning readers. It is about a little boy with chicken pox. It lacks a deep message for the story, but is great for readers starting out. its simple, with fun pictures.
Lavinia
The chicken pox were itching for the boy a lot. Every day he got better. Finally, he was so better, and no more chicken pox, and he got to go to school. I like this book.
Furbjr
I read this to my 3 year old and my 7 year old when we were waiting for a prescription at our local health clinic. Everyone laughed out-loud. It was a great read!
Ali
Cute book about having the chicken pox, and kind of reminds you that there is an end in sight with simple words. Perfect for kids who have it, or will get it.
Katie Lewellen
This book is a good book to help children understand sicknesses. This book would be perfect for younger children who are learning social skills.
Nojood Alsudairi
The beauty of this book lies in its language (i.e. itchy itchy I feel twitchy). When it was translated to Arabic it lost some of its beauty.
Terri Pray
Little too easy for him, but this one he picked himself from the school library.

Still, cute story which he got a laugh out of.
Ashanti
I learened that it is very imporotant to get your chiken pox shot or else you will get chiken pox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tanika
This is a story about a little boy that has the chicken pox. This book is an easy read and good for beginner readers.
DD
So cute! Annie as a beginning reader loves to read it and gets a kick out of the pictures.
Alexis Johnson
it was a good bokk but had very small words in it but the book was alright!
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
A small boy that got the chicken pox and what he did to get better. A.R.
a N d i E {o,o}
this was a really fun book for me when I was young!
Huda
قرأته بالإنجليزية، ومتوفر باللغة العربية أيضا
  • Buzz Said the Bee (Hello Reader, Level 1) (Hello Reader)
  • Mittens
  • The M&M's Brand Chocolate Candies Counting Book
  • Froggy Plays in the Band
  • Henry and Mudge and the Bedtime Thumps (Henry and Mudge, #9)
  • Biscuit Wants to Play
  • Clifford's First Autumn
  • Cookie's Week
  • The Little Penguin
  • Scholastic Reader Level 1: May I Please Have a Cookie?: May I Please Have A Cookie?
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Shell!
  • Me First
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
  • Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come
  • More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader, Level 2)
Grace Maccarone is a children’s book editor and the author of many books for young readers, including Miss Lina’s Ballerinas, illustrated by Christine Davenier, and the First Grade Friends series, illustrated by Betsy Lewin. She lives in Westchester, New York.

More about Grace Maccarone...
Miss Lina's Ballerinas Miss Lina's Ballerinas and the Prince Miss Lina's Ballerinas and the Wicked Wish The Haunting of Grade Three Princess Tales: Once Upon a Time in Rhyme with Seek-and-Find Pictures