Start by marking “O Tempo do Impossível” as Want to Read:
O Tempo do Impossível

O Tempo do Impossível

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Have you ever stopped to wonder why the world is eternally war-torn? Why men of good will, seeking only peace, are driven relentlessly to further disaster? MacDonlad's novel suggests a strange and sinister explaination.

Here we enter an intricate future society, in which India rules the globe. The First Atomic War has just ended, and already momentum is clearly building for
Paperback, Argonauta #257, 183 pages
Published 1978 by Livros do Brasil (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about O Tempo do Impossível, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Tempo do Impossível

Ed
This 1952 novel is John D. MacDonald's second science fiction entry of the three he wrote in his long career. AT this point, he had been writing novel length fiction for two years and was still learning his craft.

SciFi - After WWIII, the United States has been reduced to a second rate country, tensions in the world are high, and Dake Lorin has taken a year to help Darwin Branson work out a peace accords with all the nations. He witnesses Branson accept watered down conciliations from Irania and
Mark Patterson
Shame to realize that MacDonald abandoned science fiction after 3 books, because Ballroom is pretty imaginative and dense, if a little too short.

Published at a time when the author saw fit to question the hands of authority, Ballroom systematically goes through all of our support systems (our governments, our countries, our own minds, our universe) and shows us how little we can depend on them. And how little we're willing to accept change.

He touches on how progress (but who's progress?) is trie
Gabrielle
I enjoyed this book. It lit up my imagination, lots of visuals came throughout the story. MacDonald had a writing style that I thoroughly enjoyed, many choice sentences that could have have stood completely alone, which in this day of age, where internet "memes" are all the rage, is a wonderful plus. thoughtful, artful construction of words. which MacDonald also communicates his respect for in the way he illustrates the topic of communication throughout this book.

it was less alien and spacey th
Laurie
Frankly a little disappointing. This is one of those books that has a really interesting build up, but about half way through it fizzles. The first half of the book featured some really interesting scenarios: the political scene with Pak India on the rise, the vivid telepathic illusions, the Matrix-like puppet-puppetmaster chase scenes. But about halfway through he just lost it. The ending was rushed and disjointed,so many avenues that could have been explored were just dropped, and the whole re ...more
Jan
This would have been a two star read until the last 4 pages. It was an odd science fiction story that didn't really make sense to me, and I nearly gave up part way through. However, the last 4 pages pulled the whole thing together in a very clever way. Left me thinking about what an ingenious plot line it was.

First published in the early 50's and re-released in the late 60's, this story is set in the late 1970's after a series of devastating wars on Earth. Interesting to look at the state of th
Randy
Dake Lorin is an idealist in this future world of the late 1970s. He stumbles onto a group of people with fantastic mental talents that seem to be manipulating world affairs.

World War III is in the recent past and things already seem building up for IV.

Lorin tries to get the word out but is frustrated at every turn. He gets dragged right into the middle when apparent Earth folks take him off planet and begin training him.

When he learns what is really going on....
Rachel
I read this as a kid and LOVED it. It's one of the first SF books I remember reading. Would likely give it fewer stars now if I re-read it. What I remember is the guy being chosen and going through agonizing ordeals to get some, basically, superpowers. And I seem to remember the ballroom scene--how cool is that? Oh wait...I've done that in Second Life now...times change...
John
Wasn't sure where this one was going for a while, but the plot turn at the end really made this book for me. I'm really starting to appreciate and enjoy 50's science fiction far more than contemporary. Maybe the ideas were just newer, fresher, more bizarre. Not a "classic" in the most rigid sense, but a great and rewarding read, nonetheless.
Ihatethatguy
It's hard to believe that this book is over 60 years old considering a lot of the themes are still quite powerful today. I read this while on a SciFi kick and read two or three of MacDonald's books back to back. I'd comment more on this novel but I don't want to spoil it and I don't believe in spoiler tags. The ending really stuck with me though.
Terryann Saint
Been awhile, but I remember it being good.
Michael
One of John D's three SF novels, and a must-read.
Charles
Definitely SF here. And very good.
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
David
David added it
Aug 22, 2015
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Marc
Marc added it
Jul 18, 2015
Barbara Bradley-sullivan
Barbara Bradley-sullivan marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Bonnie Murrow
Bonnie Murrow marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Henrik
Henrik added it
Jun 14, 2015
Luís Blue Yorkie
Luís Blue Yorkie marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
  • Worlds of the Imperium (Imperium, #1)
  • Search the Sky
  • Survey Ship
  • Martians, Go Home
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Special Deliverance
  • Black Easter (After Such Knowledge, #2)
  • Roderick
  • A Wreath of Stars
  • Major Operation (Sector General, #3)
  • The Gameplayers of Zan (Ler, #2)
  • Total Eclipse
  • Wolfling
  • The Saliva Tree and Other Strange Growths
John D. MacDonald was born in Sharon, Pa, and educated at the Universities of Pennsylvania, Syracuse and Harvard, where he took an MBA in 1939. During WW2, he rose to the rank of Colonel, and while serving in the Army and in the Far East, sent a short story to his wife for sale, successfully. After the war, he decided to try writing for a year, to see if he could make a living. Over 500 short stor ...more
More about John D. MacDonald...
Cape Fear The Deep Blue Good-By (Travis McGee #1) A Deadly Shade of Gold (Travis McGee #5) Nightmare in Pink (Travis McGee, #2) Free Fall in Crimson (Travis McGee #19)