Start by marking “O Tempo do Impossível” as Want to Read:
O Tempo do Impossível

O Tempo do Impossível

Have you ever stopped to wonder why the world is eternally war-torn? Why men of good will, seeking only peace, are driven relentlessly to further disaster? MacDonlad's novel suggests a strange and sinister explaination.

Here we enter an intricate future society, in which India rules the globe. The First Atomic War has just ended, and already momentum is clearly building for
Paperback, Argonauta #257, 183 pages
Published 1978 by Livros do Brasil (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about O Tempo do Impossível, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Tempo do Impossível

This is a classic sci-fi book written in the 1950s. By the time it came up on my list and I started reading it, I had forgotten when it was published and was very confused about the timeline, especially when they kept talking about the ‘70s and things being only fifty years after silent films. I finally figured out this book is set in the 1970s, which was the future. War has shaken up world politics and India is the lead country. Americans are second class citizens. Instead of building skyscrape ...more
Nov 29, 2015 wally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: macdonald
26 nov 15, #62 from macdonald for me...just finished The Damned. macdonald rocks the casbah, always entertaining...have read the other sci-fi story...forget the title. Wine of the Dreamers a good one if you're in the market. onward upward

29 nov 15 finished.
good story. i don't remember much about wine of the dreamers although i think that one also contained the idea expressed best by macdonald in an afterword in this story:

the two novels are companion pieces in that they provide two congruent met
Feb 10, 2015 Gabrielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I enjoyed this book. It lit up my imagination, lots of visuals came throughout the story. MacDonald had a writing style that I thoroughly enjoyed, many choice sentences that could have have stood completely alone, which in this day of age, where internet "memes" are all the rage, is a wonderful plus. thoughtful, artful construction of words. which MacDonald also communicates his respect for in the way he illustrates the topic of communication throughout this book.

it was less alien and spacey th
Nov 07, 2012 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frankly a little disappointing. This is one of those books that has a really interesting build up, but about half way through it fizzles. The first half of the book featured some really interesting scenarios: the political scene with Pak India on the rise, the vivid telepathic illusions, the Matrix-like puppet-puppetmaster chase scenes. But about halfway through he just lost it. The ending was rushed and disjointed,so many avenues that could have been explored were just dropped, and the whole re ...more
Mark Patterson
Shame to realize that MacDonald abandoned science fiction after 3 books, because Ballroom is pretty imaginative and dense, if a little too short.

Published at a time when the author saw fit to question the hands of authority, Ballroom systematically goes through all of our support systems (our governments, our countries, our own minds, our universe) and shows us how little we can depend on them. And how little we're willing to accept change.

He touches on how progress (but who's progress?) is trie
Nov 02, 2014 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would have been a two star read until the last 4 pages. It was an odd science fiction story that didn't really make sense to me, and I nearly gave up part way through. However, the last 4 pages pulled the whole thing together in a very clever way. Left me thinking about what an ingenious plot line it was.

First published in the early 50's and re-released in the late 60's, this story is set in the late 1970's after a series of devastating wars on Earth. Interesting to look at the state of th
Dec 18, 2012 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This 1952 novel is John D. MacDonald's second science fiction entry of the three he wrote in his long career. AT this point, he had been writing novel length fiction for two years and was still learning his craft.

SciFi - After WWIII, the United States has been reduced to a second rate country, tensions in the world are high, and Dake Lorin has taken a year to help Darwin Branson work out a peace accords with all the nations. He witnesses Branson accept watered down conciliations from Irania and
Oct 08, 2009 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dake Lorin is an idealist in this future world of the late 1970s. He stumbles onto a group of people with fantastic mental talents that seem to be manipulating world affairs.

World War III is in the recent past and things already seem building up for IV.

Lorin tries to get the word out but is frustrated at every turn. He gets dragged right into the middle when apparent Earth folks take him off planet and begin training him.

When he learns what is really going on....
Dec 22, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't sure where this one was going for a while, but the plot turn at the end really made this book for me. I'm really starting to appreciate and enjoy 50's science fiction far more than contemporary. Maybe the ideas were just newer, fresher, more bizarre. Not a "classic" in the most rigid sense, but a great and rewarding read, nonetheless.
Mar 06, 2013 Ihatethatguy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to believe that this book is over 60 years old considering a lot of the themes are still quite powerful today. I read this while on a SciFi kick and read two or three of MacDonald's books back to back. I'd comment more on this novel but I don't want to spoil it and I don't believe in spoiler tags. The ending really stuck with me though.
May 27, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I read this as a kid and LOVED it. It's one of the first SF books I remember reading. Would likely give it fewer stars now if I re-read it. What I remember is the guy being chosen and going through agonizing ordeals to get some, basically, superpowers. And I seem to remember the ballroom scene--how cool is that? Oh wait...I've done that in Second Life now...times change...
William Gibson
William Gibson rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Neil Campbell
Neil Campbell rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Kevin rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Gary McCluskey
Gary McCluskey rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2009
Middle Melroy
Middle Melroy rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Phil Carter
Phil Carter rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2012
David Rutland
David Rutland rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2007
Bill rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Rene rated it really liked it
May 15, 2011
scherzo♫ rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2014
Mike Connell
Mike Connell rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Gregory Saunders
Gregory Saunders rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2015
Thomas rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Pierre Croonenberghs
Pierre Croonenberghs rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Gary rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Terryann Saint
Aug 11, 2011 Terryann Saint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Been awhile, but I remember it being good.
Jorge Candeias
Jorge Candeias rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Doug Cummings
Doug Cummings rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2008
Ron rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Worlds of the Imperium (Imperium, #1)
  • Search the Sky
  • Wolfling
  • A Wreath of Stars
  • The Dark Light Years
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2009
  • The Gameplayers of Zan (Ler, #2)
  • Galactic Effectuator
John D. MacDonald was born in Sharon, Pa, and educated at the Universities of Pennsylvania, Syracuse and Harvard, where he took an MBA in 1939. During WW2, he rose to the rank of Colonel, and while serving in the Army and in the Far East, sent a short story to his wife for sale, successfully. After the war, he decided to try writing for a year, to see if he could make a living. Over 500 short stor ...more
More about John D. MacDonald...