Start by marking “The White Devil (Cassell Military Paperbacks)” as Want to Read:
The White Devil (Cassell Military Paperbacks)

The White Devil (Cassell Military Paperbacks)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
During the 1750s, rival European colonists sought allies amongst Native American tribes. Abenaki warriors allied with France terrorised English settlements. In 1759 Major Robert Rogers and his 'rangers' were ordered to exact retribution by destroying the Abenaki village of St Francis, which they did with ruthless efficiency. But the raiders endured a nightmare journey as t ...more
Unknown Binding, 352 pages
Published May 3rd 2005 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The White Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Devil

Jeff Jellets

The Abenakis Indians will also have cause to remember the name Robert Rogers, but when they do so it will be by a name of their own: Wobomagonda – White Devil.

Stephen Brumwell’s White Devil is everything I look for in a book of great history. Painstakingly well researched and packed with first-person accounts from eyewitnesses, Brumwell delivers with vivid detail and engaging prose the strange (and often contradictory) biography of Robert Rogers – war hero, patriot, and murderer – in a gripping
Ben
Jul 15, 2015 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHITE DEVIL by Stephen Brumwell is an interesting , entertaining and well- written historical narrative of Robert Rodgers, founder of the famous, or infamous to some Rodges' Rangers. During the French and Indian War , a brutal frontier battle for the domination of the North American continent between France and its Native American allies against Britian And its local fighters Rodgers originated the idea of local militia trained , experienced and committed to fighting as Indians, that is, on long ...more
Jack
May 20, 2008 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Years ago as a kid I remember seeing a movie on TV called 'Northwest Passage" starring Spencer Tracy. It was about Robert Rogers and the Rangers and the French and Indian War. It was a great action adventure. Hollywood got some of it right and some of it wrong. 'White Devil' is the true story of what really happened in the fall of 1759. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and recommend it to one and all.
Nancy
Jan 22, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brumwell has written a most engaging history of the skirmishes and conflicts of the French and Indian War, giving a vivid and in-depth picture of his main focus, Robert Rogers and his Rangers. The book centers on the brutal raid carried out against the St. Francis Abenaki Indians, who were generally allied with the French, but a scourge to the English, especially those encroaching on their frontier. What I liked most about this book is that it looks at all sides of this conflict, does not try to ...more
Michael
Nov 08, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book about Major Robert Rogers is one of the books about an forgotten era in U.S. History. The image of Spencer Tracy's Northwest Passage has fed my imagination about this topic. In actuality, the tale is even more thrilling and amazing. The book is well written and worth the time.
Craig Tyler
While I don't agree with the title, the book was a good historical narrative of the exploits of Robert Rogers in Colonial America. The story follows the French Abenakis at St. Frances and the final raid by Rogers which destroyed the town. Certainly an interesting background and lead up to the American Revolution the focus was heavily portrayed during the French and Indian War.
Unwisely
So, I feel kinda guilty about this book. It's a part of US history I know very little about, and I'm trying to better myself. But...I didn't actually finish reading it. There's nothing inherently bad about it, but it's not very compelling. I kept picking up other books in the middle, and this one just got shunted to the side. After I ran out of library renewals for it (I think that's over two months), I gave up and took it back.

Having said this, if you're interested in the topic, or don't have a
Bryn Dunham
May 28, 2011 Bryn Dunham rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Okay book about Robert Rogers and his Rangers of the French and Indian War. This book vividly describes the brutality of guerilla warfare on the American frontier and the cycle of violence that knew no limits almost to a fault. Though mainly about Rodgers and his mission to destroy the Abenakis, the author side tracks in details that unless you know the geography of the narrative it gets confusing and monotonous. The story of the first special forces unit and their missions was cool. Rodgers did ...more
Mark Luongo
Oct 28, 2012 Mark Luongo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: French & Indian War buffs
Didn"t live up to expectations. It was quite a few pages before it got to the St. Francis Raid and then it was done. But you have to remember that the sources, particularly Primary, are scanty at best and the author had to do his best in sewing this story together. A number of paragraphs in Chapter 5 "Chosen Men" are devoted to the preparation and equipment of the Rangers and the other troops that accompanied them on this expedition in 1759.
The dissipation of Rogers' life is sad but how many tim
Mike
Jul 11, 2009 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. A brisk military history of the French and Indian War; at the center of the story is Robert Rogers, New Hampshire's intrepid woodsman-soldier, who led his "rangers" in pivotal engagements against the French and their Native allies. The grueling, brutal nature of 18th century warfare is highlighted, as is the central role played by North American Indians on both sides of the conflict. Most of us remain woefully uninformed on this critical period, this book is a great antidote for our i ...more
Luke Henning
Nov 09, 2013 Luke Henning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a well written work and a great glimpse at the little known aspect of warfare in Colonial America. Maj. Robert Rogers was instrumental in the foundation of a corps of elite light infantry that live on today in modern Ranger units. Fighting in the forests of New England against the French and their native allies, Rogers and his men became highly specialized in their area and this book does well giving the reader a glimpse of what Rogers and his men went through.
Pamela Klint
Mar 28, 2010 Pamela Klint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read it. But Russ has and absolutely LOVED it [wants to give 6 1/2 stars. i tell him its not out of 10... :P]. He would recommend it but not to me. Adventure of a discarded Colonist Hero during the French/ Indian Wars. Filled with action, savage Indians, French and British rangers. Not for the faint at heart or politically correct Disney readers. Sided with the wrong side during Revolution so left out of the History books.
Tom
A good overview of Robert Rogers and his rangers, it includes the French perspective a bit better than my other favorite bio of Rogers: "War on the Run: The Epic Story of Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America's First Frontier"
Todd Rongstad
Sep 16, 2009 Todd Rongstad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I've ever read on the battle between the French and British/Colonials over North America. The brutality of the fighting was so much worse than I imagined. Those Indians were some serious torturers.
Steven
Great book. Love the story of Rogers Rangers exploits. How did these men do what they did? Think about it.
Peter
May 10, 2010 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging, unadorned U.S. history.
Malcolm
Malcolm rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Hannah Ziegler
Hannah Ziegler marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Jacob Hands
Jacob Hands marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Ryann Lerma
Ryann Lerma marked it as to-read
Robert Jr.
Robert Jr. rated it really liked it
Lance Llyn
Lance Llyn rated it liked it
brenda
brenda rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
GUNNER
GUNNER marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Maksim
Maksim marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Kenneth Lazar
Kenneth Lazar rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Brendan
Brendan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Andrew Franke
Andrew Franke marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
  • Bloody Mohawk: The French and Indian War & American Revolution on New York's Frontier
  • The First Frontier: The Forgotten History of Struggle, Savagery, and Endurance in Early America
  • War on the Run: The Epic Story of Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America's First Frontier
  • The Divided Ground: Indians, Settlers, and the Northern Borderland of the American Revolution
  • Empires at War: The French and Indian War and the Struggle for North America, 1754-1763
  • The French and Indian War: Deciding the Fate of North America
  • A Great and Noble Scheme: The Tragic Story of the Expulsion of the French Acadians from their American Homeland
  • King Philip's War: The History and Legacy of America's Forgotten Conflict
  • American Insurgents, American Patriots: The Revolution of the People
  • Blood, Iron And Gold: How The Railways Transformed The World
  • The War That Made America: A Short History of the French and Indian War
  • A Land As God Made It: Jamestown and the Birth of America
  • The Long Death: The Last Days of the Plains Indians
  • Voyagers to the West: A Passage in the Peopling of America on the Eve of the Revolution
  • The Scratch of a Pen: 1763 and the Transformation of North America (Pivotal Moments in American History)
  • Tories