The White Devil (Cassell Military Paperbacks)

The White Devil (Cassell Military Paperbacks)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Published March 3rd 2005 by Cassell military (first published January 1st 2004)

Jack
Years ago as a kid I remember seeing a movie on TV called 'Northwest Passage" starring Spencer Tracy. It was about Robert Rogers and the Rangers and the French and Indian War. It was a great action adventure. Hollywood got some of it right and some of it wrong. 'White Devil' is the true story of what really happened in the fall of 1759. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and recommend it to one and all.
Michael
This book about Major Robert Rogers is one of the books about an forgotten era in U.S. History. The image of Spencer Tracy's Northwest Passage has fed my imagination about this topic. In actuality, the tale is even more thrilling and amazing. The book is well written and worth the time.
Unwisely
So, I feel kinda guilty about this book. It's a part of US history I know very little about, and I'm trying to better myself. But...I didn't actually finish reading it. There's nothing inherently bad about it, but it's not very compelling. I kept picking up other books in the middle, and this one just got shunted to the side. After I ran out of library renewals for it (I think that's over two months), I gave up and took it back.

Having said this, if you're interested in the topic, or don't have a...more
Bryn Dunham
Okay book about Robert Rogers and his Rangers of the French and Indian War. This book vividly describes the brutality of guerilla warfare on the American frontier and the cycle of violence that knew no limits almost to a fault. Though mainly about Rodgers and his mission to destroy the Abenakis, the author side tracks in details that unless you know the geography of the narrative it gets confusing and monotonous. The story of the first special forces unit and their missions was cool. Rodgers did...more
Mark Luongo
Oct 28, 2012 Mark Luongo rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: French & Indian War buffs
Didn"t live up to expectations. It was quite a few pages before it got to the St. Francis Raid and then it was done. But you have to remember that the sources, particularly Primary, are scanty at best and the author had to do his best in sewing this story together. A number of paragraphs in Chapter 5 "Chosen Men" are devoted to the preparation and equipment of the Rangers and the other troops that accompanied them on this expedition in 1759.
The dissipation of Rogers' life is sad but how many tim...more
Mike
Fantastic. A brisk military history of the French and Indian War; at the center of the story is Robert Rogers, New Hampshire's intrepid woodsman-soldier, who led his "rangers" in pivotal engagements against the French and their Native allies. The grueling, brutal nature of 18th century warfare is highlighted, as is the central role played by North American Indians on both sides of the conflict. Most of us remain woefully uninformed on this critical period, this book is a great antidote for our i...more
Luke Henning
I found this to be a well written work and a great glimpse at the little known aspect of warfare in Colonial America. Maj. Robert Rogers was instrumental in the foundation of a corps of elite light infantry that live on today in modern Ranger units. Fighting in the forests of New England against the French and their native allies, Rogers and his men became highly specialized in their area and this book does well giving the reader a glimpse of what Rogers and his men went through.
Pamela Klint
I haven't read it. But Russ has and absolutely LOVED it [wants to give 6 1/2 stars. i tell him its not out of 10... :P]. He would recommend it but not to me. Adventure of a discarded Colonist Hero during the French/ Indian Wars. Filled with action, savage Indians, French and British rangers. Not for the faint at heart or politically correct Disney readers. Sided with the wrong side during Revolution so left out of the History books.
Tom
A good overview of Robert Rogers and his rangers, it includes the French perspective a bit better than my other favorite bio of Rogers: "War on the Run: The Epic Story of Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America's First Frontier"
Todd Rongstad
The best book I've ever read on the battle between the French and British/Colonials over North America. The brutality of the fighting was so much worse than I imagined. Those Indians were some serious torturers.
Steven
Great book. Love the story of Rogers Rangers exploits. How did these men do what they did? Think about it.
Peter
Engaging, unadorned U.S. history.
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Jason Sprague
Jason Sprague marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Juanita
Juanita marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Jake Moran
Jake Moran marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Gmoney.gold
Gmoney.gold marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Seamus
Seamus marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Wickstrom
Wickstrom marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Dougd
Dougd marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Redcoats: The British Soldier and War in the Americas, 1755-1763 George Washington: Gentleman Warrior Paths of Glory: The Life and Death of General James Wolfe George Washington: Gentleman Warrior: Gentleman Warrior Cassell's Companion to Eighteenth Century Britain