Start by marking “How to Retire Overseas: Everything You Need to Know to Live Well (for Less) Abroad” as Want to Read:

The definitive guide for anyone dreaming of a move to paradise.
Whether motivated by a desire for adventure, or the need to make the most of a diminished nest egg, more and more Americans are considering an overseas retirement. Drawing on her more than three decades of experience helping people relocate happily and successfully, Kathleen Peddicord shows how living in an u
Published March 1st 2010 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Retire Overseas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Retire Overseas

May 28, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing inventory of places recommended to Americans for retirement using an array of criteria: residency options; tax benefits; special retirement status/visas (Panama, Belize, Malaya); cost of living; health care quality, cost and insurance; setting up your infrastructure in a new country; and much much more. Kathleen Peddicord identifies her top fourteen retirement "havens" and examines each one in terms of economics, livability and culture.

Of course, this raises more questions for me t
got tired of the expression "the local lingo"; author found that the United States is by far the most favorable to the employer and that other countries, to varying degrees, give more protection to the employee; the best parts were drawn from personal experience of the author
Dec 29, 2011 Andrew rated it it was amazing
An excellent first stop for someone reseearching the idea of LIVING -- not just retiring overseas. Written by the author of, Peddicord has lived in Ireland, Paris and Panama and explains carefully the differences involved in each locale.

She deals with each of the significant issues: taxes, health insurance, cost-of-living, schools, part-time residence and is careful to make recommendations for when to engage experts (above all in immigration and real estate transactions
Elaine Tama
Jul 09, 2013 Elaine Tama rated it really liked it
This is a very practical book, detailing all aspects you might want to consider when pondering a true adventure: moving somewhere overseas after retiring. The author has many years of experience in the 14 places she recommends as "retirement havens." My favorite was Cuenca, Ecuador, one of the most affordable places with a great climate (spring every day), a beautiful Spanish colonial environment, and they use the U.S. Dollar! A surprise was Paris as an extremely desirable place to live. Another ...more
Feb 02, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Let's consider How to Retire Overseas my fantasy book for this month! I lack the nerve, the gumption to live overseas, but if I planned to, I would certainly consult Kathleen Peddicord for advice.

Peddicord, her husband, and school-age children have lived in Ireland, Paris, and Panama City, plus she has written a blog about living overseas for several years. She recommends 13 countries, many in Central and South America, based on her analysis of costs of renting or buying a home, health care, tax
Melanie Mauer
Apr 08, 2015 Melanie Mauer rated it liked it
introduced me to a ton of new spots i wasn't aware of...not sure that this is in the cards for our family (although personally i'd love to!) but it caused some conversations :)

i appreciate the logistics it helps with - health insurance options, and tons of tips that helps you be more prepared like knowing you won't find off the rack clothing if you move to a spot where you're much taller than the rest of the population (although there are bespoke options)

her #1 pick for living inexpensively (wh
May 08, 2016 Stacy rated it liked it
This book is just inspiring enough to make a person want to do more research or at least dream of possibilities. But, keep in mind, it's aging more every year and the world has been changing around it. Also, readers are getting many first hand impressions and recounted stories of one individual - so some results may vary. Read the book too quickly and the author quickly becomes annoyingly elitist with a strong preference for Paris. This might not have been so obvious had I read just a few pages ...more
David Vander
Jul 14, 2015 David Vander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although written in 2010, I kept wondering how up-to-date it was. For example, after checking some information on-line, I discovered that La Bamba Uraguay is probably only for the very rich at this point in time. I also wish there had been a bit more information for those who do have to retire only on social security, and more information on availability of health care for those who are going overseas after the age of 65.
Karen Klein
Again, just skimmed through the information - a little more current than the last book I checked out of the library on this subject. Different "top 14" countries to retire in listed - sadly, no information on Portugal listed............... My other half has at least 2 more years until he retires - he just wanted me to start the research........ sad that we can live better overseas than in our own country.
May 12, 2010 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retire
Excellent 'How To' book for what you need to consider and how to achieve not only a retirement move, but probably any move overseas. It also has interesting location ideas and information. I signed up for Ms. Peddicord's free e-letter as well at and get more information on where to retire.
Jul 13, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
Thorough with special emphasis on things you may or may not be ready for with a move to foreign lands. I recommend reading several books on the subject, especially this one since she covers a lot of what could go wrong, things I didn't find in some of the others.
Leenda dela Luna
May 09, 2013 Leenda dela Luna rated it really liked it
Dunno if the info is accurate (seems like I read some Amazon reviews bashing the book) but it got me seriously thinking about moving out of the US in the future. Gave a lot of good thinking/planning points.
Aug 07, 2012 Pascale rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As the title says, this guide gives advice to those with fat pockets or retirement accounts how they can go about retiring overseas, while the rest of us rot here in the U.S. on Social Security and no health insurance.
Jul 25, 2015 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: good-enough
It's certainly not everything you need to know. But who really believed it would be? It's a good book to get the ball rolling: to realize that everything you need to know isn't going to be found in a book, and whet the dream - which may be the most important thing.
K. East
Oct 04, 2012 K. East rated it really liked it
A useful overview of options. Good for fantasizing -- also for a reality check about what it would really cost and what you might have to learn to live without. You would need to go online to do some more in-depth research if you were really going to live abroad, but this is a good beginning.
Jul 13, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it
Good overview of moving overseas. Obviously some things get dated/change due to time, which is beyond the author's control, but it hits the basic points, without glamorizing anything.
Feb 27, 2013 Ariadna73 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Here is my comment in my Spanish Blog:
Nothing really interesting or new to me.
Aug 06, 2016 Alyson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Because this is a book for retirees it is very budget friendly in the way it talks about other countries. It mentions many tips and tricks for how to live over seas and ways to enjoy a life abroad.
Apr 16, 2011 Lulu rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Very informative. The author gave the reader real life situations and did not propose one location over another. However, it looks like Panama is the place to be if you want to retire abroad!
Apr 28, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of current information on living and retiring abroad. It includes all the countries I would like to live in, at least for a few months!
anne rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Paul rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2013
Bobi Jensen
Bobi Jensen rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2015
Kayt Ludi
Kayt Ludi rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Alain rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
jerome a. monaghan
jerome a. monaghan rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Lynn rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Jane Goldstein
Jane Goldstein rated it did not like it
Oct 11, 2015
Cindi Sergi
Cindi Sergi rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Karen rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016