Start by marking “How to Retire Overseas: Everything You Need to Know to Live Well (for Less) Abroad” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The definitive guide for anyone dreaming of a move to paradise.
Whether motivated by a desire for adventure, or the need to make the most of a diminished nest egg, more and more Americans are considering an overseas retirement. Drawing on her more than three decades of experience helping people relocate happily and successfully, Kathleen Peddicord shows how living in an u
Published March 1st 2010 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Retire Overseas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Retire Overseas

Melanie Mauer
Apr 08, 2015 Melanie Mauer rated it liked it
introduced me to a ton of new spots i wasn't aware of...not sure that this is in the cards for our family (although personally i'd love to!) but it caused some conversations :)

i appreciate the logistics it helps with - health insurance options, and tons of tips that helps you be more prepared like knowing you won't find off the rack clothing if you move to a spot where you're much taller than the rest of the population (although there are bespoke options)

her #1 pick for living inexpensively (wh
Susan
Feb 02, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Let's consider How to Retire Overseas my fantasy book for this month! I lack the nerve, the gumption to live overseas, but if I planned to, I would certainly consult Kathleen Peddicord for advice.

Peddicord, her husband, and school-age children have lived in Ireland, Paris, and Panama City, plus she has written a blog about living overseas for several years. She recommends 13 countries, many in Central and South America, based on her analysis of costs of renting or buying a home, health care, tax
Stacy
May 08, 2016 Stacy rated it liked it
This book is just inspiring enough to make a person want to do more research or at least dream of possibilities. But, keep in mind, it's aging more every year and the world has been changing around it. Also, readers are getting many first hand impressions and recounted stories of one individual - so some results may vary. Read the book too quickly and the author quickly becomes annoyingly elitist with a strong preference for Paris. This might not have been so obvious had I read just a few pages ...more
Andrew
Dec 29, 2011 Andrew rated it it was amazing
An excellent first stop for someone reseearching the idea of LIVING -- not just retiring overseas. Written by the author of liveandinvestoverseas.com, Peddicord has lived in Ireland, Paris and Panama and explains carefully the differences involved in each locale.

She deals with each of the significant issues: taxes, health insurance, cost-of-living, schools, part-time residence and is careful to make recommendations for when to engage experts (above all in immigration and real estate transactions
Elaine Tama
Jul 09, 2013 Elaine Tama rated it really liked it
This is a very practical book, detailing all aspects you might want to consider when pondering a true adventure: moving somewhere overseas after retiring. The author has many years of experience in the 14 places she recommends as "retirement havens." My favorite was Cuenca, Ecuador, one of the most affordable places with a great climate (spring every day), a beautiful Spanish colonial environment, and they use the U.S. Dollar! A surprise was Paris as an extremely desirable place to live. Another ...more
Michael
Jul 25, 2015 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: good-enough
It's certainly not everything you need to know. But who really believed it would be? It's a good book to get the ball rolling: to realize that everything you need to know isn't going to be found in a book, and whet the dream - which may be the most important thing.
Mark
Jul 13, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
Thorough with special emphasis on things you may or may not be ready for with a move to foreign lands. I recommend reading several books on the subject, especially this one since she covers a lot of what could go wrong, things I didn't find in some of the others.
Jen Hicks
Gave me a lot to think about. Asks good questions.
K. East
Oct 04, 2012 K. East rated it really liked it
A useful overview of options. Good for fantasizing -- also for a reality check about what it would really cost and what you might have to learn to live without. You would need to go online to do some more in-depth research if you were really going to live abroad, but this is a good beginning.
Alyson
Dec 30, 2013 Alyson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Because this is a book for retirees it is very budget friendly in the way it talks about other countries. It mentions many tips and tricks for how to live over seas and ways to enjoy a life abroad.
Leenda dela Luna
May 09, 2013 Leenda dela Luna rated it really liked it
Dunno if the info is accurate (seems like I read some Amazon reviews bashing the book) but it got me seriously thinking about moving out of the US in the future. Gave a lot of good thinking/planning points.
Lulu
Apr 16, 2011 Lulu rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Very informative. The author gave the reader real life situations and did not propose one location over another. However, it looks like Panama is the place to be if you want to retire abroad!
Joe
Jul 13, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it
Good overview of moving overseas. Obviously some things get dated/change due to time, which is beyond the author's control, but it hits the basic points, without glamorizing anything.
Ariadna73
Feb 27, 2013 Ariadna73 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Here is my comment in my Spanish Blog: http://lunairereadings.blogspot.com/2...
Nothing really interesting or new to me.
Linda
Aug 31, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
Filled with facts for the best overseas places to retire in this economy.
Donna Luu
Jul 24, 2013 Donna Luu rated it it was ok
It provides some good suggestions, but I think it will be quickly out of date.
Jo
Feb 01, 2011 Jo rated it it was amazing
Look out Ecuador...here we come
Oct 11, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Very informative!
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Matt
Matt is currently reading it
May 13, 2016
David Booker
David Booker rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Brenda Reeves
Brenda Reeves rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016