Start by marking “How to Retire Overseas: Everything You Need to Know to Live Well (for Less) Abroad” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The definitive guide for anyone dreaming of a move to paradise.
Whether motivated by a desire for adventure, or the need to make the most of a diminished nest egg, more and more Americans are considering an overseas retirement. Drawing on her more than three decades of experience helping people relocate happily and successfully, Kathleen Peddicord shows how living in an u
Published March 1st 2010 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Retire Overseas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Retire Overseas

Melanie Mauer
introduced me to a ton of new spots i wasn't aware of...not sure that this is in the cards for our family (although personally i'd love to!) but it caused some conversations :)

i appreciate the logistics it helps with - health insurance options, and tons of tips that helps you be more prepared like knowing you won't find off the rack clothing if you move to a spot where you're much taller than the rest of the population (although there are bespoke options)

her #1 pick for living inexpensively (wh
Let's consider How to Retire Overseas my fantasy book for this month! I lack the nerve, the gumption to live overseas, but if I planned to, I would certainly consult Kathleen Peddicord for advice.

Peddicord, her husband, and school-age children have lived in Ireland, Paris, and Panama City, plus she has written a blog about living overseas for several years. She recommends 13 countries, many in Central and South America, based on her analysis of costs of renting or buying a home, health care, tax
An excellent first stop for someone reseearching the idea of LIVING -- not just retiring overseas. Written by the author of, Peddicord has lived in Ireland, Paris and Panama and explains carefully the differences involved in each locale.

She deals with each of the significant issues: taxes, health insurance, cost-of-living, schools, part-time residence and is careful to make recommendations for when to engage experts (above all in immigration and real estate transactions
Elaine Tama
This is a very practical book, detailing all aspects you might want to consider when pondering a true adventure: moving somewhere overseas after retiring. The author has many years of experience in the 14 places she recommends as "retirement havens." My favorite was Cuenca, Ecuador, one of the most affordable places with a great climate (spring every day), a beautiful Spanish colonial environment, and they use the U.S. Dollar! A surprise was Paris as an extremely desirable place to live. Another ...more
It's certainly not everything you need to know. But who really believed it would be? It's a good book to get the ball rolling: to realize that everything you need to know isn't going to be found in a book, and whet the dream - which may be the most important thing.
Thorough with special emphasis on things you may or may not be ready for with a move to foreign lands. I recommend reading several books on the subject, especially this one since she covers a lot of what could go wrong, things I didn't find in some of the others.
K. East
A useful overview of options. Good for fantasizing -- also for a reality check about what it would really cost and what you might have to learn to live without. You would need to go online to do some more in-depth research if you were really going to live abroad, but this is a good beginning.
Because this is a book for retirees it is very budget friendly in the way it talks about other countries. It mentions many tips and tricks for how to live over seas and ways to enjoy a life abroad.
Leenda dela Luna
Dunno if the info is accurate (seems like I read some Amazon reviews bashing the book) but it got me seriously thinking about moving out of the US in the future. Gave a lot of good thinking/planning points.
Very informative. The author gave the reader real life situations and did not propose one location over another. However, it looks like Panama is the place to be if you want to retire abroad!
Good overview of moving overseas. Obviously some things get dated/change due to time, which is beyond the author's control, but it hits the basic points, without glamorizing anything.
Here is my comment in my Spanish Blog:
Nothing really interesting or new to me.
Filled with facts for the best overseas places to retire in this economy.
Donna Luu
It provides some good suggestions, but I think it will be quickly out of date.
Look out we come
Very informative!
Justine marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Leonard marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Bradley Hughes
Bradley Hughes marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Bliss marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Cristine Naylor
Cristine Naylor is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
How to Retire Overseas: Everything You Need to Know to Live Well (for Less) Abroad How to Buy Real Estate Overseas How to Buy Real Estate Overseas: A Guide for Investors and Retirees World's Best