Start by marking “Rescue Warriors: The U.S. Coast Guard, America's Forgotten Heroes” as Want to Read:
Rescue Warriors: The U.S. Coast Guard, America's Forgotten Heroes

Rescue Warriors: The U.S. Coast Guard, America's Forgotten Heroes

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  126 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The Extraordinary Story Of The U.S. Coast Guard

Since its inception more than 200 years ago, the United States Coast Guard has rescued over 1.1 million people. Yet, despite having more than fifty thousand active and reserve members, most of us know very little about this often neglected but crucial branch of the U.S. military.

Filled with altruism and adrenaline, Rescue Warr
Published May 11th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published May 12th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rescue Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rescue Warriors

Pamela
"There's a fine line between a Distinguished Flying Cross [medal] and a court-marital. - HH60 pilot Dan Molthen, recalling how his crew squeezed a record breaking twenty-six survivors from a sinking ship into their helicopter."

Everything you ever wanted to know about the United States Coast Guard - those courageous warriors often underappreciated, underfunded, and misunderstood - is more or less in this insightful book.

Many aspects and responsibilities of the U.S.C.G are broadly known: search
Zach
Dec 25, 2015 Zach rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me preface this with the fact that I've never seen the movie the Guardian. Having said that this book gives a smattering of short and exciting stories tucked next to the history behind the Coast Guard. It covers the financial woes and future plans of a military sector of our nation that is partly good-ole-boy and partly serious military operations blended together.

I enjoyed this read through the eyes of a third party. One Coast Guard person could probably write a number of books that pack i
Darlene
Feb 10, 2014 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book whose title says it all. The US Coast Guard is a service that dates back to the founding of our nation. It's always been a mix of fighting force, life saving, research, police work, education, but sadly it's so often overlooked or shuffled from department to department. Now the USCG is under Homeland Security, and only time will tell if the service once sneered at as "The Treasury's pet navy" is in its best placement.

The only reason I didn't give the book a five star r
Sean
Jun 19, 2010 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still enjoying the book, but I could do without the author's editorializing and opinions.
Matt
I thoroughly enjoyed Rescue Warriors. As an active Coast Guard Auxillarist I am familiar with many of the missions Mr. Helvarg describes and thought he gave a very good description of the service. However there was too many times being a Historian jumped in my way, his bias was overpowering and switching between first and third person was so notable that it detracted from the book. The sense he respects the Coast Guard is obvious and the fact that he doesn't shy from the negative aspects makes t ...more
Phil
Oct 19, 2009 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent look into the daily lives of "Coasties" and a healthy mix of admiration and scepticism for the service. Too many folks think of the Coast Guard as the rescue swimmers who jump out of perfectly good helecopters to rescue stupid amateur sailors, but especially after 9/11, their mission has changed so much, expanding into serious homeland security. Still though, their mission is to serve, without the extreme displays of testosterone found in other branches of the military.

Lots of good
Patrick
May 01, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading Rescue Warriors. Much like Robert D. Kaplan's Hog Pilots, Blue Water Grunts for the Coast Guard. David Helvarg does a great job of giving you a taste of Coastie life ranging from Kodiak, Alaska to the Middle East. The men and women are well drawn portraits from all across the nation.

Each chapter is pretty much self contained and covers a certain aspect of the Coast Guard. I especially enjoyed the chapter on aviation and the cutters as I know several people in both occupa
Jaime
Jan 03, 2010 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The Coast Guard is the Cinderella of the armed services, overlooked, overextended, under-funded, unsung. It's refreshing to read a book detailing the Coast Guard's vast and numerous sectors of responsibility along with its ability to do so much with so few resources. The author is careful to balance his accounts of daring heroism and dashing initiative (the Coast Guard is quite unlike the other services in terms of individual autonomy) with a bare-eyed look at its history and the many problems w ...more
Tracy
Jan 04, 2010 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone with a CG connection, anyone interested in maritime/emergency response/environmental issues/policy/politics. The chapters at the end were excellent in their depth of discussion about the politics of a brave but stretched-thin service. I have a family member who left the CG about a year after Sept 11 and was recalled briefly after that. It is a shame, but was entirely predictable, the way the environmental missions were neglected after 2001. I am very proud of the ...more
Mckinley Sprinkle
Great writing. Well written.
Lee
Jan 14, 2010 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-military
Very well-written, by an author who seems to understand the ocean environment. He opens with a chapter on the Coast Guard's most visible recent moment, after Hurricane Katrina, and then goes all around the country with the "Coasties."

He explores history, current operations in many different chapters, and then goes into the unfortunate procurement fiasco of Deepwater.

An all-around picture of one of the best-functioning government services around.
Stephen
Jul 23, 2013 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to give this one a solid 5 stars. It pulls together a great overview of the Coast Guard service. It spends as much time duscussing the history of the Coast guard as it does the modern roles of the service. It also gives good description of the AST (rescue swimmers) as well as the great service given to us by the Buoy Tenders. The Coast Guard truly are our Forgotten Heroes.
Timand Wallace
This should be required reading for all Coast Guardsman. I highly recommend this to all regardless of the fact that the author is a hippie, tree-hugging, left-winged, NORCAL green type (he is happy about us not being a environmental pollution first responder and make that abundantly clear). Nonetheless, a great book that should be in every unit's library!
Dave Hoff
Dec 17, 2012 Dave Hoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it's not the USCG I served in, but I guess the Revenue Cutter guys said the same about us.Still reading it. With interruptions, finished it. Added to enemies and missions we had more is added. Terrorists, drug smugglers now ramming CG small boats, fire power is some different, much better personal clothing.
Shannon Hudson
The author is a "Greenie" and his agenda is obvious. While I appreciate the book highlighting the job that two of my own personal heroes (Husband and Daughter)do. I could have done without the authors slant on the environment and what seemed to me like his contempt for the other services.
Mary Nelson
Nov 23, 2009 Mary Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I heard the author discussing his book on a talk show. The history of the Coast Guard....I'm visiting the east coast and it makes me want to go to New London to see the academy, etc. But it's a bit dry, like a lesson book.
Matthew Robus
Author got to ride along on a lot of missions, and seemed starstruck--not sure this was in any way objective about the USCG. I enjoyed learning more about the service I was at one time involved with.
Murray
Jan 15, 2013 Murray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives the good and the bad and the really ugly of the Coast Guard history. Easy to read, but he barely mentions LORAN (and he spells it with little letters).
Samantha
Jul 07, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I learned so much and admire the Coast Guard even more. Should I have the opportunity to support them, I will!
David Horney
one of those books that make you think, "ya know, if i had it to do over again...."
Paula
Apr 03, 2011 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got bored with it. It became redundant, so I gave it up.
Lizzie
Dec 31, 2009 Lizzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A refreshing look at some unsung heroes.
Toesnorth's mom
didn't read all, scanned good parts
Jason
Apr 07, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
All the info I was looking for.
Larry Freet
Larry Freet rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
David L Nicholson
David L Nicholson rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Matt Ely
Matt Ely marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Barb Deskin (azbadbabs)
Barb Deskin (azbadbabs) marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
John McDermitt
John McDermitt marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Deadliest Sea: The Untold Story Behind the Greatest Rescue in Coast Guard History
  • The Decoration of Houses
  • Edith Wharton
  • The Sea Rover's Practice: Pirate Tactics and Techniques, 1630-1730
  • A Kitchen in France: A Year of Cooking in My Farmhouse
  • No Better Place to Die: The Battle Of Stones River
  • Smithsonian Intimate Guide to Human Origins
  • Why We Lost: A General's Inside Account of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars
  • Predator: The Secret Origins of the Drone Revolution
  • Operation Drumbeat: Germany's U-Boat Attacks Along the American Coast in World War II
  • Gettysburg--The First Day
  • Overboard!: A True Blue-Water Odyssey of Disaster and Survival
  • The Myth of the Goddess: Evolution of an Image
  • The Persians and Other Plays: The Persians / Prometheus Bound / Seven Against Thebes / The Suppliants
  • The Last Run: A true story of rescue and redemption on the Alaska seas