Start by marking “The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership” as Want to Read:
The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership

The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  1,014 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
The last lecture on leadership by the NFL's greatest coach: Bill Walsh

Bill Walsh is a towering figure in the history of the NFL. His advanced leadership transformed the San Francisco 49ers from the worst franchise in sports to a legendary dynasty. In the process, he changed the way football is played.

Prior to his death, Walsh granted a series of exclusive interviews to
Published June 29th 2010 by Portfolio (first published July 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Score Takes Care of Itself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Score Takes Care of Itself

Shane
Jan 03, 2010 Shane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The late 49er's coach Bill Walsh and his leadership journey various football leagues are captured and descried inside. The late 49er's coach Bill Walsh and his leadership journey various football leagues are captured and descried inside. It's a unique compilation of his personal notes, interviews from peers and players all compiled by his son Craig and Steve Jamison.

This book provides a refreshing and unapologetic review of what leadership is all about; the good, the bad and often times ugly pe
EB
Mar 22, 2015 EB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was a slower read, but very informative and helped me think about another aspect of leadership, teaching. I don't follow football, so I didn't know anything about Bill Walsh before I read this book. I picked it up because I read an article on the Harvard Business Review blog talking about his leadership style and it mentioned this book. I wanted to get a "non-corporate" perspective on leadership and coaching.

There were a couple things that really stood out to me in
Christian Janke
Nov 12, 2015 Christian Janke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Score Takes Care of Itself by Steve Jamison and Craig Walsh is in my mind the best book to read if you are a leader or someone of a high position in an organization. Bill Walsh was recognized as one of the highest and most esteemed coaches in all of sports history. His philosophy on leadership is unparalleled to that of any other coach or captain. That’s what this biography tries to depict his reasoning behind his coaching techniques and the insight that he has on being a successful master ...more
Oleksiy
Feb 04, 2016 Oleksiy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly inspiring story, great leadership lessons! For many years throughout my career I had this idea, that everybody should be doing their best job and the results will come. That has been my default mode of operation for years now. It was so good to see, that the standard of performance idea worked for someone, especially in the situation like the one described in the book.

Highly recommend this book to anyone who needs to work with other people on achieving a common goal: from CEOs, to middle
Jonathan Torrey
May 07, 2015 Jonathan Torrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
Paradigm-shifting book on leadership, management and relationships. Major successes do not happen overnight - they take time, dedication, preparation and attention to detail.

Bill Walsh took the 49ers from the worst team in football to Superbowl champions by his 3rd season with them. He gleaned some incredible insight not only from that transformation but of his own evolution as a coach (starting from the bottom) to achieve goals.

A must-read book for any aspiring leaders, changers, motivators,
Maciej
Feb 23, 2016 Maciej rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly down-to-earth book about leadership, from the master football coach. If you're interested in getting the top performance individually, as a team or as an organization, Bill Walsh is the person you should be listening to. What's really unique is that he tells the story not only about going from the bottom to the top (from the very worst team in NFL to winning multiple Super Bowls) but also about the price he paid for it.
Muhammad Hakim Asy'ari
Bill Walsh used micromanagement to turn his football team from the worst team in NFL to become winner (winning several super bowl).
The point was that every role within the company had a “standard of performance,” and that if everyone knew what that standard was and strived for it, high performance would naturally result on the field, and the score would take care of itself.
Alex Ikonn
One of the best management books that I've read. Very actionable advice.
Matt Ely
2.5, rounded up because by the end I thought to myself "Well, that was pleasant after all."

But it took a while to get there. The structure is a bit daunting. I think that Walsh saw his book as being a summation of his leadership lessons, while readers probably just wanted to get to know him better. That dichotomy of expectations means that the first chapter dives into the deep end with Walsh offering conclusions on his accomplishments while the uninitiated reader is left grasping for context.

Ul
Dmytro
Nov 24, 2016 Dmytro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
This is a leadership book written by a famous football coach. I like the manner in which this book was written, every principle occupies a couple of pages so all the information was super easy to digest.
Alex Monegro
Jan 16, 2017 Alex Monegro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly great, but has some moments that seem contrived: a feeling of repetition and how sometimes the sections seem too interlinked, the stories put together a bit too perfectly. Likely comes from the book being a bit too long for the messages sometimes, that sometimes enough to take a star away.
Mark Steed
The Score Takes Care of Itself - My Philosophy of Leadership is packed full of insights about how to lead and manage people and how to drive change in an organisation. Bill Walsh was the coach who turned around the San Francisco 49ers taking them from the bottom of the pile to being a team that won five Super Bowl titles in 15 years. Having said this, the Score Takes Care of Itself is not a book about American Football, or even sport - it is about leadership; as Bill Walsh argues.
"Running a foot
Chad Horenfeldt
Oct 01, 2016 Chad Horenfeldt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best and most inspirational books I've read on leadership

There are many lessons on what leaders should and shouldn't do in this book. It should be standard reading for all leaders. His concept of "standard of performance" is something that I had established without realizing what it was or its true meaning was. He really helped me formalize my ideas and focus my attention on what are the most important areas of leadership.
Jim Peplinski
Looks to me like more sports guy rhetoric that is useful if combined with real life realities - we'll see.....could be a useful framework of thought starters and what not to do's that are just as valuable as the elusive answer
Andrew Wilson
I listened to the audio book rather than read which often lends a different experience. I found there were some good lessons to take away from this book, but I just didn't enjoy it quite as much as I expected based on the reviews. I felt there were very similar anecdotes used over and over and often weak examples were used to get some rather obvious points across. Much of the book read like Bill Walsh praising himself, taking examples of very basic common sense decisions he made and portraying t ...more
Tom
May 27, 2014 Tom rated it it was ok
Published after his death, the book is a collection of Bill Walsh's leadership talks and lectures, loosely collected into sections that don't always describe the content. I got the feeling that I was reading a collection of excerpts one after another, without much connection.

There are two sides to this book. One side is for NFL fans in general, and 49ers fans in particular. Walsh illustrates his points with a lot of great stories about the teams he coached, focusing mostly on his phenomenal succ
Ridgewalker
Mar 12, 2016 Ridgewalker rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone looking to improve themselves or their organization
Recommended to Ridgewalker by: Ryan Holiday
Bill Walsh took the last place 49'rs and built them into a dynasty that won 4 Super Bowls in his tenure. This book is the story about how he did that and what we can learn from him. He was a highly intelligent, highly disciplined, and driven man that was consumed with achieving absolute perfection in the game. This is a book about leadership, and in fact that is its focus. I will admit the book was hard for me to read because it was so pithy. It reads like a college level textbook, and is theref ...more
Mike Vardy
Jan 31, 2016 Mike Vardy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Eduardo
Dec 05, 2011 Eduardo rated it did not like it
I didn't even make it halfway through this book so, in fairness, it may get better but I couldn't keep going to find out for myself.

I think that the only thing positive I will take away from this book that is useful is the title but there are others that have expressed the same idea within a book so much better.

This falls into the same category as many other coach-as-business-leader books. And then it keeps falling into the abyss of that category.

Some books in the category are worthwhile for the
Chris
Sep 03, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-world
I don't know if I could have worked for Bill Walsh. But I've worked for guys like him-obsessive, attention to detail, micro-managers who unrelentingly strive for perfection. But I learned much from them. It's sad Bill is no longer with us-would love to hear his take on everything happening today. This is a great book about leadership. He worked hard, perhaps, too hard to win. But it wasn't about winning initially. It was about mastery of your craft and striving for perfection. But success can be ...more
Jaron Dunford
Jan 19, 2016 Jaron Dunford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-business
Notes/Take Aways from The Score Takes Care of Itself

The score takes care of itself. Focus on the things and you can control. Become perfect in the things that you can control and the score/results will follow.

Process vs Result
Aim for a Standard of Performance (which is absolute) vs winning (which is relative to others).
“Process” of improvement leads to “result” of victory and not vice-versa.
Focus on process which produces results and not on results.

Sharpening pencils don't win games. Focusing on
Chuck
Mar 29, 2014 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It tells the story of Coach Bill Walsh and the San Francisco 49'ers football team, and how he took the team from the worst in the league to the best. However, this is not a story or biography, it is a discussion on leadership from the man who rebuilt the 49'er culture from loser to a standard of performance that demanded excellence.

The book includes chapters from some of his players, his assistant coaches, his son, and others that were there during the journey. I foun
Adam McNamara
Aug 07, 2016 Adam McNamara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Michael Mauboussin, head of Global Financial Strategies at Credit Suisse, often writes about process versus outcome in the context of investing and sports. Many endeavors are influenced by both luck and skill. Assume the outcome of a football game is determined by 70% skill and 30% luck.

Good process, good luck: win
Good process, bad luck: win most, lose some
Bad process, good luck: win some, lose most
Bad process, bad luck: lose

Bill Walsh recognized this dynamic: what matters is focusing on what yo
Adam Wiggins
The soul-baring memoirs of a successful NFL football coach. Lots of great lessons about leadership, from teamwork to recruiting to internal culture.

One part tells a very personal story told how the stress of success almost broke him. Very relevant to anyone in a visible leadership position of a successful organization. Success can be as hard, sometimes harder, than failure.

A few of the anecdotes lost me due to football jargon ("receiver", "down", "yard line", etc). But it didn't hamper my enjoym
Fab Mackojc
Jan 16, 2016 Fab Mackojc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great management / leadership book written by one of the best coaches in NFL history. Bill Walsh reviews his lessons running a football franchise to offer people in the business world insights on the fundamentals of leadership, how to create a winning team and what it means to work in an environment of excellence.

As an American football fan I enjoyed reading the sections that talked about the history of the sport and Bill’s innovations to football strategy. I found that certain section
Sathya Vijayakumar
I picked this book up because I heard that Pete Carroll, the Seahawks head coach, admired Bill Walsh and had read the book twice. Additionally, the title just resonated with me as I've spent a lot of time thinking about leadership and success. The book has some real wisdom in it, especially around the "Standard of Performance" Walsh developed for his teams that detailed his expectations of everyone in the organization from the receptionist to his quarterback. It also details the inner thoughts o ...more
John
Aug 22, 2016 John marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Chris Jennings
Jun 18, 2016 Chris Jennings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I expected more x's and o's or war stories from old football games, but it was so much more. Walsh brought some extremely radical thinking to the old order of pro football. Some of this I was aware of, but I had no idea that he did a lot of this single-handedly! The West Coast offense should have been called the Bill Walsh offense. There is no doubt in my mind that Walsh would have brought this same approach to any profession he chose. The fact that he ...more
Janet G
Nov 02, 2013 Janet G rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Failure is part of success, an integral part. Everybody gets knocked down. Knowing it will happen and what you must do when it does is the first step back." Bill Walsh spoke the words but it seemed it didn't learn the lesson until he retired from coaching in the NFL...too late for application. As a leadership book this one left me feeling that the intensity of leadership is equal to the self-destruction of the man.
Remember the description of the jockeys that Hillenbrand writes at length about
Matt Larsen
The biggest takeaway from this book is taking information that other people have and interpreting it in a way different than them. The west coast offense was made because Walsh had an old BYU QB who could not throw the ball further than 20 yards, he could however throw accurately and read defenses. Walsh then made a system around this QB and defenses never knew how to handle an offense with such precision. It is a similar concept as the person who saw that the material for post it notes was a "f ...more
  • The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football and Created an NFL Dynasty
  • The Lombardi Rules: Twenty-Six Lessons from Vince Lombardi--The World's Greatest Coach
  • Confidence of a Champion: Becoming Who You Were Created to Be by Letting Go of Lies from the Past
  • Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else
  • Leading with the Heart: Coach K's Successful Strategies for Basketball, Business, and Life
  • LeaderShift: A Call for Americans to Finally Stand Up and Lead
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • Turn the Page: How to Read Like a Top Leader
  • The New Toughness Training for Sports: Mental Emotional Physical Conditioning from 1 World's Premier Sports Psychologis
  • The Power of Four: Leadership Lessons of Crazy Horse
  • How Good Do You Want to Be?: A Champion's Tips on How to Lead and Succeed at Work and in Life
  • The Winner Within
  • The Flaw of Averages: Why We Underestimate Risk in the Face of Uncertainty
  • The Heart of a Leader
  • The House Advantage: Playing the Odds to Win Big In Business
  • Beyond Basketball: Coach K's Keywords for Success
  • Inside Drucker's Brain
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life

“MY FIVE DOS FOR GETTING BACK INTO THE GAME:
1. Do expect defeat. It’s a given when the stakes are high and the competition is working ferociously to beat you. If you’re surprised when it happens, you’re dreaming; dreamers don’t last long.
2. Do force yourself to stop looking backward and dwelling on the professional “train wreck” you have just been in. It’s mental quicksand.
3. Do allow yourself appropriate recovery—grieving—time. You’ve been knocked senseless; give yourself a little time to recuperate. A keyword here is “little.” Don’t let it drag on.
4. Do tell yourself, “I am going to stand and fight again,” with the knowledge that often when things are at their worst you’re closer than you can imagine to success. Our Super Bowl victory arrived less than sixteen months after my “train wreck” in Miami.
5. Do begin planning for your next serious encounter. The smallest steps—plans—move you forward on the road to recovery. Focus on the fix.

MY FIVE DON’TS:
1. Don’t ask, “Why me?”
2. Don’t expect sympathy.
3. Don’t bellyache.
4. Don’t keep accepting condolences.
5. Don’t blame others.”
4 likes
“Someone will declare, “I am the leader!” and expect everyone to get in line and follow him or her to the gates of heaven or hell. My experience is that it doesn’t happen that way. Unless you’re a guard on a chain gang, others follow you based on the quality of your actions rather than the magnitude of your declarations.” 1 likes