Start by marking “The Last Valentine” as Want to Read:
The Last Valentine

The Last Valentine

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  665 ratings  ·  111 reviews
Television reporter Susan Allison is looking for the perfect story about true love, yet she doubts where such a thing really exists, Neil Thomas, Jr. wants to share his parents' bittersweet love story with the world. On February 14, 1944, Caroline Thomas said good-bye to her beloved husband, a Navy pilot sent to the Pacific. For fifty year, she waited for him--until a mira ...more
Published February 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Valentine

Cherry
If you enjoy romance without the "R" rated stuff then you will appreciate this awesome love story. I so appreciate a author who doesn’t need lewdness to sell romance, but can do it tenderly. If you are a romantic you can't help but love this story. I would completely trust Michael Pratt when I was in the mood to read romance.
Katherine (Katerina K.)
"I love you isn't good enough- Not for you Caroline."

A beautifully written story that has a lot to teach you!

Full of important messages, poems, quotes...

Loving, strong and true characters that you'll fall in love with from the first page!!

I love both the book and the movie!!

Sarah Sammis
Twoo wuv, the bread and butter of romance and inspirational fictional. Where would we be without that first moment of two strangers realizing they are soul mates. Now add put in a war to keep the lovers apart from their happily ever after and you either get a tragedy or you get schmaltz. The Last Valentine by James Michael Pratt is the latter.

February 14, 1944 Caroline Thomas says goodbye to her husband as he ships off the Pacific. They last embrace at Union Station in Los Angeles and he promise
Jacki Combs
Cherylann
Well, most of my friends (the three active ones I have) would have been surprised to even see this book appear on my list. I feel inclined to explain myself:

My creative writing professor/mentor had given me a constructive criticism about my writing, well more about me as a person. “Cherylann, you have one problem: You are allergic to sentimentality.”

What I wanted to say was, “So?” but if this lack of emotion was negatively affecting my writing, I couldn’t afford to just ignore it. As much as I’
Zinaid
As far as fictional love stories go, this one left me in tears. While you don't really get to "know" Caroline or the other supporting characters I believe that Neil Sr. carries the story well. I was moved by Neil Sr.'s conclusion, such a great character, it hurt to part with him. I could've done without the second romance, it was rushed and unnecessary but overall it had a satisfying ending.
Lisa
I'm a cheesy kind of girl, but this book was a bit too cheesy, even for me. ;) Still, it was a nice, quick read, with a good message about love. 3.5 stars.

I'm looking forward to watching the movie now.

Update 3/25/11:
I just watched the movie, which was a real tear jerker. I'm glad I read the book before seeing the movie. While I liked the book, I definitely thought the movie was better. There were some major differences between the two, and I liked certain elements of both. Good story.
Corinne
I loved this book. It is a great World War II Love story. Like it had been said before, "It transports you back in time to the events and helps you immerse yourself into its emotions of the story."
This book has so many great quotes throughout, I had to write them down so I won't ever forget them.
Heidi
I have watched the movie version a couple of times starring Betty White and Jennifer Love Hewitt. I had to read the book. It was just as good as the movie, and was glad that the movie stayed pretty much true to the story line.
It is a historical fiction love story set in the WW2 era. A young bride says goodbye to her husband as he is sent off to war on their first wedding anniversary. He promises to return to her.
At first I was confused because it switched from first person to third person a
Whatsername
Ho letto questo libro ben 10 anni fa e mi è rimasto nel cuore. Ero sposata da poco ed aspettavo il mio primo figlio...ricordo che mentre leggevo questa stupenda storia d'amore tra il marinaio Neil e la giovane Caroline, ho sentito il cuore stringersi dentro al petto ed il solo pensiero di vedere il mio amore partire lontano, verso una guerra dove le possibilità di ritornare erano poche, mi struggeva...
Lo scrittore aveva saputo cogliere il dolore di Caroline, lo aveva trascritto ed era riuscito
Beth
I came across this book really randomly while browsing through our library’s online catalog It looked promising: historical fiction with romance thrown in (or maybe a romance with history thrown in?). I thought I’d try it out.

I really did like the history told in this book. The “male lead” (you can have that in a play; can you say “male lead” for a book? You know what I mean), the new husband and soon-to-be father, is off at war and his plane is shot down. Unable to make contact with American tr
Kelly Castleton
Absolutely loves this book!!
Made me fall in love with falling in love.
Such a romantic, loving book.
Defiantly recommend this book and the film
C.sep
I love this book and the movie please read it the book and the movie shows you true love does and will always be around as long as you truly believe.
Galinda
I had gotten this book at my town's library book sale and I had brought it with me to my camp to read. I found myself just wanting to read the whole book and not do anything else. My friends would give me weird looks when I squealed with happiness, or started to cry. It was a very cute book. I did not realize that it was a movie, so now I have to find that.
I loved the fact the it was set during WW2, and that drew me into the story. I loved the characters and thought it was one of those great bo
Christy
I really liked this book. I was drawn to the WWII part of the story. I really love history but what I love more is knowing that it wasn't all war. It may have been a bit cheesy for some but I think it fit well with the time period. I really felt the emotions these characters felt. It did take me a few chapters to get into the book and if I were to rate the 1st part it would have been 2 stars. But once I got into it more, I couldn't put it down. I would have actually gave this a 3.5 star rating b ...more
Kristen M
Oct 17, 2014 Kristen M marked it as to-read
I hope this book is as satisfying as The Notebook was to watch.
Karen
This is the first book by James Michael Pratt that I have read, and all I can say is...WOW! What an exceptional writer he is. I could not stop reading this book. I read it in about 5 hours, which is quick for me. The story follows that of a young couple who have to say goodbye on their first anniversary as he is being sent to fight during WWII. I connected with this story as my father and two of his brothers fought in WWII. James does an excellent job holding the readers interest, and his writin ...more
Holly Szydlo
Nice book to read for valentines week!
Kara
I have some mixed feelings about this book. The story itself, the whole message was beautiful and wonderful and totally worthy of 4+ stars. However, the writing left me disappointed. I think James Michael Pratt really was trying, but some of the greatness of the story was lost in cheesy lines and melodramatic moments that, if eliminated, would have made for a much better book. I'm settling on 3.5 because the whole story was amazing and I can't deny that, I just wish the writing had been better.
Leslie
You can't walk by a book like this a week before Valentines Day and not pick it up. It's a sweet story but sad. I was not invested in the least in the modern day romance part, there was no character development and I felt their feelings were hurried and a little fake. The relationship the whole book was built on was sweet but so short and so tragic. It just didn't leave me with a "happily ever after" feeling at all.
Kare
This book takes place during WWII and goes back and forth between the lives of a married couple. She at home in California; he serving as a Navy pilot for the USA. This is their love story. It seemed to cheesy to me. I'm sorry to those who loved it; I just never got into how the hard hitting reporter who gets this story turns to mush over it. I do believe the couple did love each other a lot, but it seemed too cheesy.
Brittany
You know what? I really liked this book. It's really well written. It's captivating. You don't quite know what's going to happen until the very end...you think you might, but hey, it keeps you hooked. And it's a really good LOVE story. About how real love really is. And how to really love someone. It's just really sweet. I cried and smiled and felt like I could really relate to it. Loved it.
mayra lopez
I loved this book its so cute!!! Just like the notebook but with a little mystery the movie was absolutly amazing i cried during the movie and the book!!!!! I actually felt like I was with Thomas and Caroline and feeling there pain. Let me just tell you this I hope i never experince anything like that it would be horrible :::::( and for her to wait 55 years for her husband its amazing and sad
Edralyn Calabano
After 2 days of reading this book. I found myself lucky with my family and friends. Especially,when I'm reading this book, only one person enters my mind, my best friend - Mike Alvin de Rama. He's been my special friend since we started our college days way back, June 13th 2007. 5 years, and I found my self so blessed with our memories together.

This book reminds me of love in different ways. ;)
Linda
If you love super sweet (somewhat sappy and yet strangely endearing too), clean, romantic love stories you will probably enjoy this book, but it was a bit too much for me. However, I really enjoyed the WW2 story that was innertwined within. The jumping back and forth from past to present was sometimes a bit confusing. Not a total waste of reading time but I guess not entirely my "cup of tea".
Shea
This was a very sweet love story but I really felt, throughout the novel, something was missing. I would have liked to read more history of Caroline and Neil's relationship and I found the fast developing relationship between Susan and Neil Jr. unconvincing. I enjoyed the historical aspect set in WWII and the message that love, in all it's forms, is truly what makes life worth living.
Miriam
Jan 30, 2009 Miriam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romantics, Nicholas Sparks readers
Shelves: 2009-reads
A great story to illustrate pure love that lasts through the thorns of life. Very touching. I cried at the end because it reminded me of my grandparents. Pratt shows his readers that pure love is not about being physical, but is a thing that grows and gets better with time as we learn to selflessly serve our partners and those around us.
Joy
This book was absolutely wonderful. I loved the different story lines and how they all intertwined with each other. Would highly recommend this book for everyone to read.
Bridget
I enjoyed the WWII part of the story more than the modern part of the story but still a good read. I felt that the story with the reporter adn the son was a little rushed and I didn't quite buy it but still a sweet love story that is very touching. The WWII story really kept me entertained and was tough to put the book down.
Jamie
I love James Michael Pratt's books. He writes such wonderful love stories, based during WWII. This was his first, and it is very good. It made me cry, even though it was my second time reading it. It does have a happy ending, but it was very emotional. If you can, read his books. I personally love them.
Too Sappy? 1 2 Aug 04, 2011 10:01AM
Too Sappy? 1 1 Aug 04, 2011 10:01AM
  • The Gazebo
  • Killing Spree
  • The Forgotten
  • The Happy Hollisters on a River Trip (Happy Hollisters, #2)
  • The Invisible Friend (Viking Quest, #3)
  • Death at Sandringham House (Her Majesty Investigates #2)
  • Other Worlds
  • The Conjurer
  • The Tide of the Mermaid Tears
  • Little Saigon
  • Sing to Me of Dreams
  • Romeo x Juliet Omnibus
  • Meet Your Match
The Lighthouse Keeper Ticket Home The Lost Valentine Paradise Bay The Good Heart

“Once in a while, our thoughts drift and fade, back into the recessed hiding places where our memories are stored. At times we recall them- the memories of our loves, our youths, our life experiences. These dreams appear to us, and for seconds, minutes, or hours we are there once again.” 8 likes