Start by marking “Freud for Beginners” as Want to Read:
Freud for Beginners

Freud for Beginners

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  733 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
The Beginner Books -- "Their cartoon format and irreverent wit make difficult ideas accessible and entertaining." -- Newsday

Everything you need to know about neurosis, libido, ego, and id -- but somehow it slipped your mind.

Freud for Beginners is a perfect introduction to the life and thought of the man whose discovery of psychoanalysis revolutionized our attitudes towards
Published July 15th 2003 by Pantheon (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Freud for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freud for Beginners

Dov
This is a great introduction to Freud as a theorist, a therapist and a human. It is clear in the course of the book that with his clients, Freud is really trying to understand trauma and "anti-social" behavior in order to help people manage their daily lives and social connections. At the same time, he seems to get obsessed with "fixing" people, trying to make them function within fairly limited, limiting conditions, which I find to be worrisome.

The book also did a great job of showing his effo
Claire
Feb 04, 2016 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good overview of Freud's key ideas.
Uleto
Nov 07, 2015 Uleto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A nice short and entertaining introduction to the man's life and work.

I would've liked to read a bit more on what we notice of his legacy today, and what things he was (probably) wrong about.
Dimitris Hall
Dec 16, 2010 Dimitris Hall rated it liked it
Recommended to Dimitris by: Argyro
Shelves: borrowed
Mixed feelings for this book. I finished it in less than 24 hours, which means I didn't give it the attention and thought it might have needed, and for that, I can't say that any of Freud's ideas stayed with me in depth. I don't know if it's the fault of the greek translation, the book's or Freud's ideas themselves. The art was interesting though, I always love stories presented in this way (even though it wasn't really comic in the sense of funny, it was more of an narrative decision).

Thanks Ar
Sylphær
Jul 31, 2015 Sylphær rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chinese and confucians
Recommended to Sylphær by: myself
Introducing Freud provide me with all the main ideas of Freud's psychoanalysis: id, ego, superego, the conscious, the preconscious, the unconscious, sexual instincts, death and life instincts, the stages in the theory of sexuality (oral, anal, phallic and latent), libidinal energy (different from Jung's definition), Oedipus Complex (only because he need it to fit into his theory of sexuality), interpretation of dreams, sublimation, etc.

Both Freud and Jung had given us a gift to understand the u
Arun
Aug 25, 2013 Arun rated it it was amazing
This book provides you an extremely vivid picture of the legendary psychologist Freud (who revolutionised modern psychology) and his methodologies... using cartoons! Highly comprehensible and does not speak too technically. Written and presented in a language that commoners can understand. The book, as the title claims, is perfect for beginners who want to know about the man and his ideas.
Reading Freud will make you re-view the world as we know.
A book that everyone must read.
Barbara
Trotz dieses zusammenfassenden Büchleins verstehe ich Freuds Theorien bzw. seine Herleitung immer noch nicht wirklich. Sie verpuffen direkt nach dem Lesen. Ob das nun dem Buch oder Freud selbst verschuldet ist, vermag ich nicht zu sagen. Die Illustrationen waren interessant, v.a. durch die teilweise Verwendung von Collagen, aber gleichzeit auch düster.
Karen
Sep 15, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy fácil de entender, ejemplos muy claros. Chistes locales y las ilustraciones hacen más ameno todo. Me ayudó a comprender mejor sus aportaciones a la psicología moderna. Lo recomiendo mucho, sólo se necesita un poquito de interes.
Anna Deniz
Sep 12, 2015 Anna Deniz rated it really liked it
I was about to read a hard version of Jung as 4 Archetypes and my husband came with this book at that moment and said: " Hey before pushing yourself so hard, try this!" It is really easy to read this book that I've finishes reading in the same day even in 5 hours! The book gives the big ideas as a pill so it is easy to understand if someone's first time with Freud! Also, not much but Jung also exists in the book ( as you see they are still together everywhere!) Finally, the drawings are very goo ...more
Anna
Aug 15, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the 'Introducing' series, they really do make complex theoretical literature accessible. This one was especially quick to read and clearly explained. Indeed, in comparison to Lacan's convolutions Freud seems positively staid. Of course, Freud's work has filtered into the mainstream far more thoroughly, so his terminology seems much more familiar than Lacan's. This book provides a useful explanation for what Freud actually meant, though, as the vague understanding I'd gained from popular c ...more
Robert C.
Dec 29, 2014 Robert C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knowledge
Having heard so many things about Freud and Freudian Slips and Anal this-that-and-the-other I decided it was about time I found out what all this Freud stuff was all about, so, true to form, I read a book about him. Except that this isn't really a book, it's a cartoon caricature with a huge dose of the author's own opinion about what Freud was about.

By the end, I was thinking that Freud was mad. How am I supposed to support myself with that kind jumping-to-a-conclusion behaviour?

Sigmund sounds l
Kevin Cole
I read this when I was 14, thinking I was sophisticated enough to digest not only the ideas in this comic book, but also the explicit drawings which cannot help but be tied to Freud. I ended up not only more confused than ever, but also a little traumatized.
Essam Munir
Jun 03, 2015 Essam Munir rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, biography
a fascinating book !
you can't let it down till you complete it ! so easy to understand, great illustration with great sentences...
"What cannot be remembered cannot be left behind."
"Humans may seek pleasure instinctually. But they will actually spend
more effort on avoiding pain."
Natasha Castillo
Jul 29, 2014 Natasha Castillo rated it liked it
Tenía curiosidad por este personaje y me recomendaron este libro de manera general. Es ligero, fresco a pesar de tener temas serios que claro esta todavía queda mucho que profundizar aparte, se deja leer con calma, y llega a informar de cosas con mucha simpatía.
Unicornfishcake
Feb 12, 2014 Unicornfishcake rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Unicornfishcake by: Amazon
Awesome book, and addictive; so addictive I read it in a night. Lots of pictures and illustration, bit more reading when it gets to the end. Would recommend 100%.
Sam Pryce
Sep 15, 2015 Sam Pryce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fresh, fun and fascinating guide to the life and ideas of Sigmund Freud. Many moments of heady enlightenment to be had in this insightful little book.
Jon Knight
Jan 28, 2016 Jon Knight rated it liked it
Got an interest in Freud's history and theory and a train ride to kill? This is the book for you! Not a long read but a perfectly pleasant one!
Konrad Plechowski
Good introduction to the basics of Freud's ideas and life, with very interesting illustrations. I don't know the body of his work, so can't judge if the ideas were presented correctly - but it felt coherent (though requiring some effort - more than any other comic book I've read)
Valerie
Feb 23, 2014 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bd, psychanalyse
Visuellement très créatif, ce petit livre est la parfaite antisèche de celui qui connait déjà bien son Freud.
OBSESSED
Apr 18, 2016 OBSESSED rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I skipped a bit because Freud is really into sex and well ...I'm not.
Not as good as the others.
Amanda
graphic novel about life and study of Freud. required reading for my counselling course.
Natalia
Dec 31, 2015 Natalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. I laughed hard and people at work stared at me weirdly. a+.
T. Sullivan
Sep 29, 2015 T. Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthropology
Excellent concise introduction to Freud.
Evelin
Aug 25, 2014 Evelin added it
Translated to Greek by "Choice" publication.
Atlanta
Oct 23, 2014 Atlanta rated it really liked it
Great book for beginners to Freud.
Dave
Jan 03, 2014 Dave rated it it was ok
Whoa. Imagine a graphic non-fiction "novel" about Freud and his psychoanalytical conclusions. Shadowy skeletons, nude renditions of assorted human forms, and an emphasis on sexuality of course. The syntax and experience derivation was occasionally over my head even with a degree in Psychology. My ultimate synopsis? Freud was one weird dude.
Atenea
Jan 14, 2015 Atenea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy divertido y entretenido
Aug 31, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Out of all the books from the series, this one is probably my favorite. The composition of the drawings with the words are probably the most attractive, and the drawings are probably the most bizarre compared to the others. But I found it a little bit too fast moving because I think there are somethings about Freud I still don't understand... but then again, he is just crazy so maybe I just don't think he is right.
Imran Rasid
A good overview of Freud's works. The best part of the book is when the authors expanded their explanation of freud beyond the typical id,ego,superego explanation and has includes things like Freud's idea of civilization,the death instinct,the repetition compulsion,introjection,totemism and incest,and many contradicting analysis of the kind of neurosis that occured to his patients.
Magdalen
Because I have Freud mentioned so many times and I'm not an arts major, I thought I get a quick book to read. This book is certainly less heavy a read compared to others but I don't think I learnt any more than what I didn't already know. Still if I want to know about Freud, I will re-read this book then get a different title. I think Freud is just difficult to get...
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Semiotics
  • Psychology: A Graphic Guide to Your Mind & Behaviour
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Einstein for Beginners
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Evolutionary Psychology
  • Darwin for Beginners
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Lacan (Introducing)
  • Introducing Cultural Studies
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Logic
  • Introducing Linguistics
  • Introducing Quantum Theory
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Modernism
Richard Appignanesi is a published adapter and an author of young adult books. Published credits of Richard Appignanesi include Manga Shakespeare: Julius Caesar (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Macbeth (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Hamlet (Manga Shakespeare), and Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare).
More about Richard Appignanesi...