Start by marking “The Enemy (The Enemy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Enemy (The Enemy, #1)

The Enemy (The Enemy #1)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  15,864 Ratings  ·  1,801 Reviews
Charlie Higson's The Enemy is the first in a jaw-dropping zombie horror series for teens. Everyone over the age of fourteen has succumbed to a deadly zombie virus and now the kids must keep themselves alive.

When the sickness came, every parent, police officer, politician - every adult fell ill. The lucky ones died. The others are crazed, confused and hungry.

Only children
Mass Market Paperback, 407 pages
Published 2010 by Puffin (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Enemy, please sign up.

Michael E. It was a power move to show his complete dominance over John by humiliating him in front of his clan, as well as to establish his position within…moreIt was a power move to show his complete dominance over John by humiliating him in front of his clan, as well as to establish his position within those living in the palace. It was a direct response to John who was certainly homophobic (based on a "projection" that homoerotic statements would rile Achilleus) and a display of Achilleus' apparent comfort with his sexuality (whether straight or not).(less)
.-. Sophie's crew went to Ascot. They then discovered Lewis and Ed's crew looking for Ella (Sam's sister).
The Enemy by Charlie HigsonThe Sacrifice by Charlie HigsonThe Dead by Charlie HigsonThe Fear by Charlie HigsonThe Fallen by Charlie Higson
The Adults Have Disappeared/Gone Crazy
1st out of 35 books — 26 voters
Marked by P.C. CastEvermore by Alyson NoelFallen by Lauren KateThe Awakening / The Struggle by L.J. SmithTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Series I've Given Up On...
335th out of 869 books — 3,356 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 20, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombie

”We can’t lose all we believe in. Our sense of right and wrong, said Maxie. Just to survive.
Just to survive? There’s no just about it. Survival is everything.”

Have you ever noticed that big budget everyone-is-pretty-as-all-hell-even-covered-in-blood Hollywood horror movies hardly ever kill kids? The kids escape, live to tell the tale, and walk off into the sunset with their “happily-ever-after” tucked under their arms. Well….let me say here and now—the same can NOT be said for a Charlie Higson w
Aaron Vincent
Aug 09, 2010 Aaron Vincent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystocalypse
Perhaps the most brutal and goriest YA dystopia novel I ever read. It's bloodfest almost every chapter. The novel is jam-packed with things that makes peace-loving bitches wince. Zombie attacks, strong language[There is a line from a character that shocked the hell out of me: "I didn't like him. He's getting on my tits!". Fuck Yeah Awesomeness!] cannibalism, and gladiator, everything. It's bloody, dark, violent and best of all, it's pure fun. Definitely not for the faint heart and sensitive stom ...more
Carol.
Jul 29, 2013 Carol. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hard core zombie fans, fans of William Golding

descriptiondescription

descriptiondescriptiondescription

One of my least favorite books from 9th grade English class was Lord of the Flies. I hated its theme, I hated its deliberate cruelty, I hated its vision of an island that was about the exact opposite of Island of the Blue Dolphins, a far more preferable tale. The Enemy is Lord of the Flies amped up, and while adding zombies would seem a natural fit for addressing survival in a world without adults, not even the undead can (re)animate this into a pleasurable tale.

Essentially, The Enemy combines
Rick Riordan
The Enemy, by Charlie Higson. I got to hear Charlie speak at the Disney-Hyperion dinner at BEA in New York. He said he tried to make this book as scary as possible, and would read scenes to his son, ratcheting them up until his son had trouble sleeping at night. I figured this must be worth checking out! The best description I can think of: The Enemy is The Lord of the Flies with zombies. It’s set in London after a mysterious sickness has killed off most everyone over the age of sixteen, but lef ...more
Priscilla
Apr 09, 2011 Priscilla rated it really liked it
SO GROSS. And yet so satisfying. Recommended for those with an iron stomach and are not 'faint of heart'.

Check out my video review!
Jo
May 02, 2012 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can you enjoy a book where pretty much every one of your favourite characters gets chomped on by a zombie?

I’m going to say yes because this book was brilliant.

This book was genuinely creepy and I like to think I’m made of strong stuff. Unless clowns are involved… and boats….and, like, those huge Australian bugs that Mandee and Reynje take so much pleasure in sending me pictures of when I’m expecting wallabies and koala bears.
OK, actually…. Maybe I am a bit of a wuss.
But one thing that struck me
Lindsey Lynn
Apr 01, 2016 Lindsey Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 Stars

Summary:
This book takes place in dystopian London and all adults have succumbed to this disease, making them zombie like. There are only the kids left unharmed and now they have to survive daily life. With the threat of the grown-ups around every corner we follow a large group of children who are just trying to make it to the next day.

Dislikes:
I'm a very character driven reader, and this book quickly throws people at you. So I found it a bit difficult to connect to anyone.

Likes:
The wo
Caris
Nov 04, 2010 Caris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caris by: Megan
Shelves: 2010, young-adult
I cannot believe that YA zombie novels are bringing back my faith in the written word. It’s ironic that young adult fiction, in recent days, has made me want to swear off reading entirely and is now bringing me back to where I started from. What is even more surprising is that I didn’t even like this book, but, still, it’s done wonders for me. I’m such an ungrateful bastard.

The thing I noticed about this book straightaway was that it has no audience. These are not the sorts of characters that te
V
Mar 02, 2013 V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, reviewed, fiction
Once upon a time in a land far away, your friendly neighbourhood reviewer Vanessa read a book called Gone by Michael Grant.

It did not end well.

She gleefully picked up three of the Gone books in a box-set for 10 on her first ever visit to CostCo. She read the first one, was not amused, and the rest have been duly shipped off to the local library collection.

Vanessa wrote a review of it (here), but in summation, it was a clever idea that meandered far too much and wound up turning incredibly stran
☣Lynn☣
June 2016

This is the fourth time I've read this and I love it more than the first time. Can't wait to finally finish this series!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This series is going under my favorite YA zombie books. Even though I wouldn't really call the 'grownups' zombies, but oh well. It's gory, has plenty of action, has great characters, and I love that it takes place somewhere else besides the U.S. I also love the fact that a lot of characters die. The author isn't afraid to kill of some characters. It's
Erin
Feb 19, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who can handle blood and guts, awesome people, action lovers
Aw yeah. This is more like it.

I usually read books that are more romance-heavy, and reading this has really proven to me that I needed a break. This book was SO GOOD, you guys.

I'm not much into summarizing, so in short: for some unknown reason, all adults and older teens (at the time the illness struck) have either died or turned into a zombie-like creature. They will kill and eat any children they can. The Enemy is about a large cast of young characters trying to stay safe by any means necessar
Amber
Jan 19, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a mysterious virus turns all of the adults into kid-devouring zombies, the children must do all that they can to survive. Can they while out-running the adult zombies and find a place they can call safe? Read on for yourself and find out.

This was a pretty good Ya zombie book that was a different take on the zombie mythos. Definitely check this out if you are a fan of horror and zombie books. This book is available at hastings and wherever books are sold.
Emily
I enjoyed this book so much! Characters are killed left and right, and none of the horrible details are left out. It's gory, brutal, slightly gross at times - just how I like it. The writing, guys, is just fantastic! There's nothing "special" about it: there's no flowery prose or philosophical quotes to hang on my wall, instead it's fast-paced and drew me in so fast! Higson has this way of writing that makes it feel so real. One moment I'm with Maxie and her gang, and in the next paragraph I ca ...more
Jubilation Lee
The best part about this book is also the part that bothered me the most. The Enemy is a total bloodbath of a story, at least as far as early YA guy lit tends to go. (We're not talking, like, Silence of the Lambs here -- no one is making themselves a skin suit or anything -- but it's still pretty crazy.) Characters are getting stabbed. They're getting bitten. They're being drowned in pools, are torn apart by wild dogs and wilder grown-ups and, occasionally, are devoured by their cannibal neighbo ...more
thebookbitch
Apr 18, 2016 thebookbitch rated it really liked it
Shelves: ukya, young-adult
Okay, so the ending really changed everything for me. I love the characters, although there are a few too many to follow but I think Charlie Higson has set up a series nicely. I'm super excited to continue on with the series and find out what happens to the Waitrose and Morrison's Crew.
Lazybee
Nov 20, 2015 Lazybee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GOOD LORD! What a book!
Finally a book that is in league of gone series. Read it and you will love it
Wendy Darling

I've been meaning to try out this series for a long time, and I'm glad I started! It's an interesting story that keeps you engaged, and features terrific action sequences. I especially liked how the gore was handled--squicky, but not too over the top. The author isn't afraid to kill of characters you've gotten attached to, and they aren't telegraphed too far ahead of time, either.

What prevents this from being rounded up for me is that those deaths, while piquing my interest, never moved
Reading Teen
Apr 19, 2011 Reading Teen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been sitting on my bookshelf since last Spring.
I feel like a complete idiot.
I absolutely LOVED this book.
Without a doubt my favorite book of 2011 so far.
Seriously my mind is blown.
This book was crazy.

I have never read a book that has kept me up at because it freaked me out so much.
I usually don't get freaked out easily, but The Enemy was definitely freaky.
Not to mention gross, whatever you do, don't read this book while eating.
I made that mistake and couldn't finish my food.
But I h
TL
Sep 22, 2015 TL marked it as gave-up-on-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Melissa
Started off well for me but couldn't get into it anymore... not a bad book but just not for me
Angela
Oct 16, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela by: V
I only heard about this book and series last week when I saw a quote on a friend's status on here and I clicked into the book link to gain more information. Within five minutes I had reserved the book through my local library and two days later I was able to collect it (excellent service by the library there!)

Basically, a quote is what made me want to read this book. Says a lot really (and just as well I wasn't disappointed with it).

Well written and rather graphic. There are some very creepy an
Tina
Feb 20, 2012 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tina by: Aaron Vincent
Original post at One More Page

It's been a long time since I last read a zombie book, so I knew I was in for a bit of an adjustment when I decided to read my stocked zombie books for my February challenge. The Enemy by Charlie Higson has been languishing on my shelf since 2010, after my friend Aaron lent it to me for my YA-D2 challenge for that year. Obviously I never read it for that, and I don't think I would have unearthed this now if I didn't choose to read it for this month.

Besides, a borr
Elena
This book has a pretty great (if not entirely original) premise: A year and a half ago, everyone over 16 contracted a horrible disease that killed almost all the adults and turned the rest into what are essentially zombies. A group of ~50 kids has been making do by turning a Waitrose grocery store into their fortress, but food is becoming scarce, the grown-ups/zombies are becoming bolder, and kids are getting picked off one by one. Then comes word that Buckingham Palace is safe--no grown-ups, a ...more
Jonathan

This was a novel I had heard was a 'quality' YA read. I went into this with the expectation that it might be entertaining, a kind of literary junkfood, a nice detour from the author's Young Bond (Silverfin) series. However what I found was a readable, yet forgettable, mash of prose and plot. While I had hoped for a fun, light-hearted (apart from the blood and gore) YA version of I Am Legend: And Other Stories I got nothing like that. I got a book that was easy to read yes, but not fun. It was si
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
Dec 20, 2012 Stella ☢FAYZ☢ Chen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YOU. Yes, you.
Recommended to Stella by: Ruth and Matt.
Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow.

There is no way of hiding it. I've been in a major reading slump considering the last I time I finished a book, the Sun was still visible at 8 PM. With a little push from my friends, like Mama Bird pushing her babies off the tree so they can learn to fly, I picked up this book. Screw Red Bull, this book gives you wings.

I loved how intense this book was. BAM. Zombies from left. BAM. Zombies on your right. There was never a moment to calm your heart rate before something e
Kahleia Corpuz
Feb 03, 2016 Kahleia Corpuz rated it it was amazing
I have to say this exceeded my expectations. It was one of the only dystopians/apocalyptic books I've read and I've loved it. The characters were so developed, the plot was thrilling, and the concept of it was horrifying enough to be awesome.
Darren Hagan aka snazzlebooks
Sep 28, 2015 Darren Hagan aka snazzlebooks rated it really liked it
*No spoilers*

Grown ups have literally never been so scary!

This book was great. I was expecting to like it but I didn't realise how much I did until like halfway through. The plot is strong, the pacing is frantic, and the body count is so damn high!

It's called The Enemy for a good reason - there are so many enemies! There are the obvious zombie adults who want to eat the kids (we've all been that hungry before, right! No? Awkward...) but there are also some enemies that you don't expect as much.
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
7/4/2016
I stand by everything I said about this book last time around. Except that this time, I adopted a don't-read-before-bed strategy to avoid the nightmares, which was incredibly successful. HURRAH.

It's such a fast paced and engaging story, and I was on the edge of my seat for the duration of the book. There are characters you'll hate but can still feel for, and characters you just want to hug, and characters you'll be terrified for. It's gory and violent and creepy and gross, but I just co
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
So my track record with zombies hasn’t been so good. Not actual zombies, just zombie books. I’ve read a few and most I’ve given up on. Others I’ve rated very, very low. You know what? I liked this very creepy and disturbing book! I’ve been reading so many creepy books lately that I’ve decided to dedicate an entire bookshelf to them. Just in case, you know, you just NEED to read something that’s creepy and disturbing.

I don’t know why I picked this one up. I guess because I’d been seeing it everyw
Katie Solorzano
Dec 15, 2010 Katie Solorzano rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine, you are with your parents one day. And, suddenly, they get sick. No reason at all; they die. Soon all the other adults die as well. And, you are left to fend for yourself and survive alone. An unexplained world trauma occurs as you notice all the dead adults coming back to life. All lurking in the shadows, waiting to eat you. And, all you have with you is survival instincts, people you teamed up with, and nearby weapons to keep you safe. That’s what it’s like for the kids in The Enemy b ...more
Aubrey Padukiewicz
Aug 03, 2011 Aubrey Padukiewicz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Mrs. Anderson's E...: The Enemy 1 4 May 10, 2016 06:08PM
Crazy for Young A...: The Enemy (#1) by Charlie Higson → Start Date: October 21st, 2015 32 22 Nov 05, 2015 04:01PM
  • Fighting to Survive  (As The World Dies, #2)
  • Undead (Undead, #1)
  • Soulless
  • Dust & Decay (Rot & Ruin, #2)
  • Allison Hewitt Is Trapped (Zombie, #1)
  • Pariah
  • Solitary (Escape from Furnace, #2)
  • Aftertime (Aftertime, #1)
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
  • Zombie Britannica
  • The Infects
  • The Reapers are the Angels (Reapers, #1)
  • Contaminated (Contaminated, #1)
  • 20 Years Later
  • Rise Again (Rise Again #1)
  • Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • Contagious (The Contagium #1)
Higson was educated at Sevenoaks School and at the University of East Anglia (where his brother has taught since 1986 and is now a professor of film studies) where he met Paul Whitehouse, David Cummings and Terry Edwards. Higson, Cummings and Edwards formed the band The Higsons of which Higson was the lead singer from 1980 to 1986. They released two singles on the Specials' 2-Tone label. Higson th ...more
More about Charlie Higson...

The Enemy (7 books)
  • The Dead (The Enemy, #2)
  • The Fear (The Enemy, #3)
  • The Sacrifice (The Enemy #4)
  • The Fallen (The Enemy #5)
  • The Hunted (The Enemy #6)
  • The End (The Enemy, #7)

“If a wolf attacks his sheep, the shepard kills the wolf, but he eats the sheep when he's hungry.” 83 likes
“No such word as can't. No such word as babagoozle neither!” 55 likes