Start by marking “Jane Jacobs: Urban Visionary” as Want to Read:
Jane Jacobs: Urban Visionary

Jane Jacobs: Urban Visionary

Today, we take for granted the wisdom of renovating old factory buildings into malls or condos, of making once decaying waterfronts into vibrant public spaces, of protecting historic buildings under landmark laws, and of building public housing on a human scale rather than as high-rises. In contemporary cities, it is now common for community groups to plant gardens in empt ...more
Published May 11th 2006 by Rutgers University Press

To ask other readers questions about Jane Jacobs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Jacobs

Carl Rollyson
Aug 19, 2012 Carl Rollyson rated it liked it
Mention that a biography is unauthorized and all sorts of presumptions come into play: This is a hostile takeover, and the subject will be savaged; access to the subject and sources has been limited because the biographer has gone negative; it is best to wait for the full life — presumably the one the authorized biographer publishes.

Put aside the possibility that the authorized biographer operates under limitations as well — such as the psychological and perhaps even legal burden of being behold
Dec 24, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it
This was an interesting and quick read, although I was annoyed by the typos I found throughout the book. ("Than" instead of "that", a random exclamation mark in the m!ddle of a word - which is something I've never seen in a trashy paperback let alone a hardcover book!) I was ready to completely dismiss the book when the author, within the first few pages, revealed that Jacobs did not want anything to do with the book, and therefore was unable to verify anything in it. My annoyance with the autho ...more
Jul 13, 2009 Lee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who want to change the world
Alexiou shines a light on one of the most enigmatic figures in 20th century architecture and urbanism. Jacobs, essentially a very private person went on to change the face of architectural thinking, particularly in the USA with The Death and Life of Great American Cities. The woman behind the visionary words is revealed here in an inspiring portrayal of the unwaivering but humble Jacobs.

Alexiou tells how a "housewife" who took on the New York City and won, a testament to persisting in your belie
Jul 28, 2014 Nancy rated it liked it
An interesting synopsis of an incredible woman's work.
Mar 09, 2008 Dan rated it it was ok
An OK biography about an extraordinary person. Jane Jacobs was notorious about not wanting to draw attention to herself, and this is, to my knowledge, the only biography of her. I got the sense that the author wrote this without the Jacobs family's blessing, and as a result, she is short on good sources, with her best information coming from old interviews and newspaper articles. It's a good summary of Jacobs' life, but nothing particularly relevatory or vivid.
Apr 07, 2013 Mary rated it it was ok
I had never heard of Jane Jacobs though I was vaguely aware of her magnum opus, "The Death and Life of Great American Cities". I tried to read this book before and during a recent trip to New York. It was difficult to stay engaged. This was an unauthorized biography so the author lacked deep and personal source material. The author did well with what she had. I am still intrigued to know more.
Aug 30, 2011 Katie rated it did not like it
A disappointment. The author's tone was too fawning (and seemed to be written at an 8th grade level) to really take seriously. Jane Jacobs must have been an extraordinary person but this book really never goes beyond the superficial. I had hoped for a book that would put her writings into context, but this wasn't it.
Jul 22, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
I found this book really interesting. Althought the author did tend to go off on tangents on occassion I still found it a facinating read.
Nicholas Baker
Jan 07, 2009 Nicholas Baker rated it really liked it
Quite well written, a pleasure to read.
Anna marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Eva marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Anna Chiaramonte
Anna Chiaramonte rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Noah Langford
Noah Langford marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Nirmala Hayati
Nirmala Hayati marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Halina marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Jen Hydrick
Jen Hydrick marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Chelsey marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Jing Tie
Jing Tie marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Christina rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Sarah C
Sarah C marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Ario D'Amato
Ario D'Amato marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Niu marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Sam Kortekaas
Sam Kortekaas marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Giorgio Scott
Giorgio Scott marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016