Start by marking “Defense for the Devil (Barbara Holloway #4)” as Want to Read:
Defense for the Devil (Barbara Holloway #4)

Defense for the Devil (Barbara Holloway #4)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  624 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Kate Wilhelm, a master of psychological fiction in America, delivers a legal thriller in which Barbara Holloway takes on the devil himself in her toughest case yet.When Barbara Holloway agrees to represent Maggie Folsum, she assumes it will be a case of securing back child support for the single mother. But when Maggie's abusive husband is discovered brutally murdered, Bar ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Mira Books (first published January 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Defense for the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defense for the Devil

Frank
[library audiobook, plot summary elsewhere]

Somehow, I had read or listened to this before, but didn't remember enough of it to stop reading. I vaguely remembered the Peril of Pauline ending scene. It's an early Barbara Holloway, kind of like a prequel for characters who are voiced again and again in later books.

The attraction of Wilhelm's series is the flow of the writing. The attraction of Holloway is her role as a strong woman. This book has violence against women issues as leavening, as well
David
I think this is the best Barbara Holloway book to date. It left me with a number of driveway moments as I was waiting to find out what was going to happen in the book.
Carolyn
Formulaic -- but fun!
Chris
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

This is the third or forth in the Barbara Holloway series. Barbara meets a woman in the restaurant she often uses to meet new clients in the off hours when the restaurant isn’t busy. Maggie is very nervous. She married Mitch Arno 17 years previously when she became pregnant at the age of 16. He abused her and left
Kathleen Hagen
Defense for the Devil, by Kate Wilhelm. I borrowed it from NLS for the Blind, but it can be purchased from Blackstone Audio and downloaded from Audible.

This is the third in the Barbara Holloway series. Barbara meets a woman in the restaurant she often uses to meet new clients in the off hours when the restaurant isn’t busy. Maggie is very nervous. She married Mitch Arno 17 years previously when she became pregnant at the age of 16. He abused her and left her, only to return a few months after th
Chanda
I was not a fan one of this one. I know... shocker. It seems like only one out of every four or five that I read is good, and fewer than that are great but- if I didn't read all of these crappy ones I wouldn't know it when I find a GREAT one.

I will not be watching for any more by this author. The mystery was a big stretch and too many people don't get what they have coming to them. Liars and cheats just sort drift out of the spotlight. The personal life of the main character is left just hangin
Jill
Like many of the books in this series, it was a little slow at the start, but near the end, I couldn't put it down. One of the unusual things about this series- and it's both a plus and a minus - the author doesn't give you a lot of reminders of who's who. On the one hand, I appreciate that she treats me like I have a brain I my head and doesn't talk down to me or treat me like I need my hand held. On the other hand, although I'm reading the series in order, I do read other books in between, and ...more
Cindy
I like series & this is one of the best. Recommended. No gore, or sex, some language. No noticeable editing errors in text edition. Reader: Carrington MacDuffy (good reading) 1999 text 2007 audio ...more
Barbara
I dove into this one shortly after finishing "Desperate Measures"... and found myself trying to place it in the sequence of Barbara Holloway legal thrillers.

I love this character, and the way Kate Wilhelm makes her come alive. Barbara Holloway possesses all the intensity of a driven geek with a goal, a goal that she is drawn into to the detriment of any personal life she might otherwise have had. I can't help identifying with her struggles to prove to herself that she can be "normal" as a woman,
Christine
Each book makes my head spin as the story goes on. There is not one story but multiple ones going on and all the while you need to figure out who, what and why. I enjoy the courtroom scenes and I really like the relationship between Barbara and her father Frank. Their's is a complex yet loving one. Bailey was great as usual and I loved Sylvia- what a lady, who I hope is in future books.
Teesa
Ah, the devil finds his way to her door. So much normalcy, finally her own firm with the competent Shelly and Dad finally getting around to that book. But so much more, "now she believes in the evil, believes in the devil, he touched her and changed her". Another finely crafted Kate Wilhelm novel with riveting courtroom drama.
Paula
Excellent!! The characters are very well rounded out. Personal strife is thrown in with all the court room stuff and the legalese. Makes me wish I was as smart at Barbara Holloway!! So far have very much enjoyed all Kate's books. The mystery of them keeps me coming back as well as the humanity in the characters.
Janet
Very well written. Focus is on solving the riddle by good investigative work and defending the client through intelligence and good legal strategy. All innocent defendants should be lucky enough to have such successful resources to prove their defense.
Allison
5. No Defense: 2000
6. Desperate Measures 2001
7. CLEAR AND CONVINCING PROOF. 2003
Carol
Plot was good but the relationship between Barbara and her new husband John was just too annoying.

See my whole review at Carol's Notebook.
Ricardo
I enjoyed this one. One thing I like about Wilhelm is the multiple aspects of a book, not just the legal stuff, but the relationships of the main character, both romantic and family. This one had an interesting ending
Heather
Another good trial where Barbara Holloway fights for the underdog against the powerful interests against him. The usual cast of characters do not disappoint in this continuation of the series.
Judith
Barbara Holloway #4 finds her defending Ray Arno who is accused of killing this brother. In an intricate plot weaved with layers of deceit she also starts her own office.
Gerald Curtis
If you like really overly complicated plots then you would probably like this. Personally, I don’t enjoy the need of several flowcharts in order to track 20 stories in one.
Linda
I have been reading/listening to this series of books while I walk or drive. They are entertaining, keep me in suspense, and are gently, no major gore.
Carol
Kate Wilhelm has written a series of Barbara Holloway books. Barbara is an attorney and every story is so well written. I plan on reading all of them
Nancy
Attorney Barbara Halloway's research and cross examinations were satisfying and held my interest throughout. I'm working my way through her series now ...
Diane
Audiobook

The legal procedural stuff is somewhat far-fetched and unrealistic but once beyond that, a pretty good read.
Becky
FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC!!!!! This whole Barbara Holloway series was Great! Kate Wilhelm
Sandra
Listened to this book. Courtroom scenes were very good and very interesting. I always like Wilhelm.
Kathy
Another good Wilhelm, but a few too many unlikely plot twists. Grabbed me and kept me, though.
Ruth
ok. good story. some parts underdeveloped and some parts overdeveloped.
Karen
Lifes choices and costs in defending justice. Good again.
Helen
a lttle too much courtroom
Julie
Fast read. Good characters.
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • A Crack in Everything (A Susan Callisto Mystery, #1)
  • The Tree People
  • Black Drop: A Sage Adair Historical Mystery
  • Night Kill (Iris Oakley, #1)
  • Fury (Frank Corso, #1)
  • Hard Row (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #13)
  • Red Light (Merci Rayborn #2)
  • The Devil in Music (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #4)
  • Lord of the Deep
  • The Bloomsday Dead (Michael Forsythe #3)
  • First Degree
  • Death Goes on Retreat (Sister Mary Helen, #6)
  • Bones of the Barbary Coast (Cree Black, #3)
  • Blues in the Night (Molly Blume, #1)
  • Black Hornet (Lew Griffin, #3)
  • Parents Behaving Badly
  • The Victim In Victoria Station (Dorothy Martin, #5)
Kate Wilhelm has won the Hugo and several Nebula Awards. She is the widow of author and editor Damon Knight.
More about Kate Wilhelm...

Barbara Holloway (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Death Qualified - A Mystery of Chaos (Barbara Holloway #1)
  • The Best Defense (Barbara Holloway #2)
  • Malice Prepense (Barbara Holloway #3)
  • No Defense (Barbara Holloway #5)
  • Desperate Measures (Barbara Holloway #6)
  • Clear and Convincing Proof (Barbara Holloway #7)
  • The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)
  • Sleight of Hand (Barbara Holloway #9)
  • A Wrongful Death (Barbara Holloway #10)
  • Cold Case (Barbara Holloway #11)
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang Death Qualified - A Mystery of Chaos (Barbara Holloway #1) The Best Defense (Barbara Holloway #2) The Deepest Water A Wrongful Death (Barbara Holloway #10)