RESTful Web Services

RESTful Web Services

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  354 ratings  ·  36 reviews
"Every developer working with the Web needs to read this book." -- David Heinemeier Hansson, creator of the Rails framework

"RESTful Web Services finally provides a practical roadmap for constructing services that embrace the Web, instead of trying to route around it." -- Adam Trachtenberg, PHP author and EBay Web Services Evangelist

You've built web sites that can be used...more
Published May 15th 2007 by O'Reilly Media (first published May 2007)

Don't Make Me Think by Steve KrugHTML5 For Web Designers by Jeremy KeithThe Art & Science of CSS by Cameron AdamsDesigning With Web Standards by Jeffrey ZeldmanJavaScript by Douglas Crockford
Web Development
53rd out of 70 books — 39 voters
Hacking the Academy by Dan  CohenRESTful Web Services by Leonard RichardsonImmersion into Noise by Joseph NechvatalIntroduction to Programming Using Java by David J. EckIntroduction To Economic Analysis by R. Preston McAfee
Creative Commons Books
2nd out of 7 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

David
The authors certainly had their work cut out for them: how do you explain something that (near as I can tell) has yet to have even just one real-world implementation which completely satisfies the requirements?

Seriously, look at the real-world examples used in this book. Not a single one of them adhere to the four principles of Addressability, Statelessness, Connectedness, and a Uniform Interface. Some of them fail miserably at all four!

And that's a constantly recurring problem when you start lo...more
TK Keanini
Everything from OREILLY is of the highest quality. The book as you would expect is heavily biased toward REST versus an RPC architecture. I agree that one must read this book if they hope to understand all of the options in building scalable web-services.
David Lindelof
I began reading "Restful Web Services" while researching technical solutions for a web service I'm currently building. Prior to this, most (all?) web service projects I had been involved in were based on SOAP.

REST is a heavily overloaded term in our industry, and can mean different things to different people. The author avoids that controversy by coining the term "Resource-Oriented Architecture", and shows different examples of web services that can be built using this approach: a social bookmar...more
Ross
Nov 17, 2008 Ross rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Web Developers, Web Application Designers
Overall, I really liked this book. It has gotten me excited about REST and Resource Oriented Architecture as a driving force for the programmatic web. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in learning about those topics.

On the other hand, I found the author's use of the first person "I" to be somewhat jarring, especially the fact that they repeatedly felt the need to re-emphasize that the information presented was "only their opinion and not hard and fast rules" relating to RESTful we...more
Dale
This is both a manifesto for what the authors term 'REST-Oriented Architecture' (ROA), and a technical dive into the mechanics and semantics of REST. It comes as a big breath of fresh air after years of being harangued by the putative benefits of Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) with its plethora of web-service standards centered on XML, SOAP, and WSDL, and the many competing and largely incompatible SOA toolkits.

REST (or ReST) stands for 'Representational State Transfer', a term and concept...more
Laura Wyglendacz
Not exactly a gripping read. I don't think it is clearly written, can be hard to see where things are going, found it repetitive and a bit long winded in places. Still, I guess it's a difficult topic to present and I'm learning things, in between being exasperated and bored, anyway.
Mark Delavergne
This book seems to be THE book to read if you want to really dig in to REST. I absolutely love the authors' Resource Oriented Architecture and how much their presenting it points to the abuse of the word "RESTful". However, I was disappointed in how one or two of their examples didn't quite meet all the criteria of ROA! With that said, I love theory and will undoubtedly continue to reference this book in my career.

If you want excellent commentary on Roy Fielding's dissertation and a step closer...more
Michael
REST REST REST. Everyone is talking about RESTful webservices, and there is some merit to the discussion. This was a very well thought out book and presented the REST topic in a sensible light. The only problem that I had was that the book could have been written in 200 pages, maximum. Aside from that, it is worth a read, especially if you want to learn more about REST and its philosophy. In a nutshell, REST involves taking a webservice that looks like

and...more
Rafał Borowiec
Good read, although sometimes too many details. Chapter 8 is just great. Can be used as a pocket reference while designing an Api.
M Sheik Uduman Ali
In my early days of web services, when Microsoft primarily focused on SOAP based WCF. Since, I was very much interested on REST concept, I bought this book. Leo and Ruby introduced me three things

1. Existing next generation web apps (Flickr, Amazon S3) and, new and simple way of key based authentication
2. ROA approach (in depth coverage)
3. The simplicity of Ruby language

The first three chapters forms the basis to the readers and chapter 4 explores ROA excellently.
Grzegorz
Aug 11, 2013 Grzegorz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: it
nice book explaining the rest and roa. For rest-experienced programmers it can be little too long since it covers many side problems. I believe that sample code snippets could be also omitted and the book could easily fit in 200 pages.

nevertheless the book itself is written in simple and easy to understand language. if someone wants to learn or broaden his knowledge about rest t than it is a book worth recommending.
Zac Stewart
A little lengthy with the code examples. I read this book mostly for the theory, which was good, but had to skip whole swaths of Rails code. If you are already familiar with Rails, I suggest you skip or skim those parts.

Otherwise, it was informative and still way ahead of it time in terms of real-world implementation.
Mahmoud Tantawy
skipped most of it, and skimmed the rest
The book could've been a lot shorter, it can be half of its current size or even less and be as informative.
Sergey Zubov
Эта книга является отличным источником информации на тему разработки RESTful веб сервисов. Но, на мой взляд, книга порою содержит слишком много несущественных деталей, ее можно было бы ужать как минимум на четверть без потери качества материала.
Charles Greer
This book is rather great. The concepts of RESTful architecture are very straightforward, and reading this book makes you realize that simplicity in integration and service calls brings simplicity and elegance to your systems design.
Chip Turner
not bad, but REST probably doesn't need a whole book. anything that has examples in 3+ languages is just trying to make a broad topic seem practical. nice coverage of what works and doesn't work, though, and general design suggsestions
Jeroen
Sep 11, 2009 Jeroen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Software architects
Shelves: work
I love restful web services. "The web as it should be used" is theoretically marvelous but practically difficult to do. This book will get you more excited about REST and help you a bit further but we still aren't there.
Ira Burton
This book while interesting, leaves much to be desired. They author is a bit scattered, and following his examples and code snips is a bit trying at times. None the less, it is an interesting read on REST style development.
khalid eldehairy
The best book I've read on the topic. This book is more about "what is REST and why" than "How to do REST". Having read this book, I know the philosophy behind REST, and can see my way through designing RESTfull APIs.
A different look at web/rest services than I've had before. I appreciated seeing the different side and there are definitely techniques I will take away, but I'm not sure I buy the authors arguments 100%.
Alex Ott
Too long, with many not necessary (imho) details. Although there are chapters, that provides good description of REST concepts & how to design REST services
Kevin
Thorough and at times tedious look at REST-based services. It does cut through the hype and explain the benefits of REST rather well, though.
Richard
Book was good. Too much preference was given to Ruby/Ruby-on-Rails for my taste and according to the author's original intent.
Martin Chalupa
Little bit older but still actual book about REST. Everything is nicely described and just last chapter is little bit outdated.
Michael
Not sure I'll follow all of his suggestions, but definitely worth reading. I enjoyed the exposure to new concepts.
James Griffin
Fantastic introduction to all things REST - an absolute must-read for anyone building web services.
Dan
Finished the Old Testament of RESTful Web Services. I feel a little traumatized.
David Robillard
Very, very detailed. Better for a programer than an operation's engineer (like me).
Michael Daines
Excellent read for the topic. It's dated in places, but Chapter 8 is still indispensable.
Andrei
It would have been a 5 star rating have the examples where done in groovy and not ruby.
  • Building Scalable Web Sites
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code (Addison Wesley Signature)
  • Programming in Scala
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions (Addison-Wesley Signature)
  • High Performance Web Sites
  • Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide
  • 97 Things Every Programmer Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • Hadoop: The Definitive Guide
  • Programming Collective Intelligence: Building Smart Web 2.0 Applications
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The Rails Way
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • The Practice of Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Constellation Games RESTful Web APIs Let Us Now Praise Awesome Dinosaurs Restful Web APIs Web Services mit REST