Start by marking “RESTful Web Services” as Want to Read:
RESTful Web Services

RESTful Web Services

"Every developer working with the Web needs to read this book." -- David Heinemeier Hansson, creator of the Rails framework

"RESTful Web Services finally provides a practical roadmap for constructing services that embrace the Web, instead of trying to route around it." -- Adam Trachtenberg, PHP author and EBay Web Services Evangelist

You've built web sites that can be used
Published May 15th 2007 by O'Reilly Media (first published May 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about RESTful Web Services, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RESTful Web Services

David
Oct 17, 2012 David rated it really liked it
The authors certainly had their work cut out for them: how do you explain something that (near as I can tell) has yet to have even just one real-world implementation which completely satisfies the requirements?

Seriously, look at the real-world examples used in this book. Not a single one of them adhere to the four principles of Addressability, Statelessness, Connectedness, and a Uniform Interface. Some of them fail miserably at all four!

And that's a constantly recurring problem when you start lo
Dale
Apr 07, 2009 Dale rated it it was amazing
This is both a manifesto for what the authors term 'REST-Oriented Architecture' (ROA), and a technical dive into the mechanics and semantics of REST. It comes as a big breath of fresh air after years of being harangued by the putative benefits of Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) with its plethora of web-service standards centered on XML, SOAP, and WSDL, and the many competing and largely incompatible SOA toolkits.

REST (or ReST) stands for 'Representational State Transfer', a term and concept
David Lindelof
Dec 21, 2013 David Lindelof rated it it was amazing
Shelves: safari
I began reading "Restful Web Services" while researching technical solutions for a web service I'm currently building. Prior to this, most (all?) web service projects I had been involved in were based on SOAP.

REST is a heavily overloaded term in our industry, and can mean different things to different people. The author avoids that controversy by coining the term "Resource-Oriented Architecture", and shows different examples of web services that can be built using this approach: a social bookmar
Ulina
Apr 17, 2011 Ulina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech-books
Meh.
I really wanted to give the book a 2.5, but I gave it a 3 because of the Appendixes in the back of the book.
Granted I believe if I read the books when it was published (2008) or when i first bought it (2010-11 ) I probably would have given the book a 4.5.
I still would not have given the book a 5 because the author repeats himself a lot. He is even aware of it and points to multiple places in the book where he talked about the topic before, but that doesn't stop him from going over the topi
Ross
Oct 10, 2008 Ross rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Web Developers, Web Application Designers
Overall, I really liked this book. It has gotten me excited about REST and Resource Oriented Architecture as a driving force for the programmatic web. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in learning about those topics.

On the other hand, I found the author's use of the first person "I" to be somewhat jarring, especially the fact that they repeatedly felt the need to re-emphasize that the information presented was "only their opinion and not hard and fast rules" relating to RESTful we
Michael
Feb 29, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008_read
REST REST REST. Everyone is talking about RESTful webservices, and there is some merit to the discussion. This was a very well thought out book and presented the REST topic in a sensible light. The only problem that I had was that the book could have been written in 200 pages, maximum. Aside from that, it is worth a read, especially if you want to learn more about REST and its philosophy. In a nutshell, REST involves taking a webservice that looks like

and
Mark Delavergne
Sep 13, 2011 Mark Delavergne rated it really liked it
This book seems to be THE book to read if you want to really dig in to REST. I absolutely love the authors' Resource Oriented Architecture and how much their presenting it points to the abuse of the word "RESTful". However, I was disappointed in how one or two of their examples didn't quite meet all the criteria of ROA! With that said, I love theory and will undoubtedly continue to reference this book in my career.

If you want excellent commentary on Roy Fielding's dissertation and a step closer
Vadim Barylo
Jan 05, 2016 Vadim Barylo rated it really liked it
Despite this book is old enough (about 10 years), it can be handbook when designing REST backend because describes all best practice to use REST in real applications. Which status code is most suitable in particular situation, how to design versionable services, url naming design, caching, access rights etc.

I can't say you can find something new in this book but this book will helps you to review your personal understanding of some parts to use them right. I found several places when I always ma
M Sheik Uduman Ali
In my early days of web services, when Microsoft primarily focused on SOAP based WCF. Since, I was very much interested on REST concept, I bought this book. Leo and Ruby introduced me three things

1. Existing next generation web apps (Flickr, Amazon S3) and, new and simple way of key based authentication
2. ROA approach (in depth coverage)
3. The simplicity of Ruby language

The first three chapters forms the basis to the readers and chapter 4 explores ROA excellently.
Greg
Jun 18, 2013 Greg rated it liked it
nice book explaining the rest and roa. For rest-experienced programmers it can be little too long since it covers many side problems. I believe that sample code snippets could be also omitted and the book could easily fit in 200 pages.

nevertheless the book itself is written in simple and easy to understand language. if someone wants to learn or broaden his knowledge about rest t than it is a book worth recommending.
Zac Stewart
Apr 10, 2012 Zac Stewart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computing
A little lengthy with the code examples. I read this book mostly for the theory, which was good, but had to skip whole swaths of Rails code. If you are already familiar with Rails, I suggest you skip or skim those parts.

Otherwise, it was informative and still way ahead of it time in terms of real-world implementation.
Ian
Would have really liked it .... if it was about 20 pages. I think the concept of RESTful web services is great, but did not need nearly 400 pages to drive this point home. If the author had just outlined what is considered a RESTful service and what it better than the RPC approach and left the rest to the appendices this would have been a four of five star rating.
Ira Burton
Jan 28, 2008 Ira Burton rated it really liked it
Shelves: computing
This book while interesting, leaves much to be desired. They author is a bit scattered, and following his examples and code snips is a bit trying at times. None the less, it is an interesting read on REST style development.
Sep 02, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, tech
A different look at web/rest services than I've had before. I appreciated seeing the different side and there are definitely techniques I will take away, but I'm not sure I buy the authors arguments 100%.
TK Keanini
May 31, 2008 TK Keanini rated it really liked it
Shelves: semantic-web
Everything from OREILLY is of the highest quality. The book as you would expect is heavily biased toward REST versus an RPC architecture. I agree that one must read this book if they hope to understand all of the options in building scalable web-services.
Chip
Oct 29, 2007 Chip rated it liked it
not bad, but REST probably doesn't need a whole book. anything that has examples in 3+ languages is just trying to make a broad topic seem practical. nice coverage of what works and doesn't work, though, and general design suggsestions
Sergey Zubov
Nov 09, 2013 Sergey Zubov rated it really liked it
Эта книга является отличным источником информации на тему разработки RESTful веб сервисов. Но, на мой взляд, книга порою содержит слишком много несущественных деталей, ее можно было бы ужать как минимум на четверть без потери качества материала.
Charles Greer
Jan 06, 2011 Charles Greer rated it really liked it
This book is rather great. The concepts of RESTful architecture are very straightforward, and reading this book makes you realize that simplicity in integration and service calls brings simplicity and elegance to your systems design.
khalid eldehairy
Mar 04, 2013 khalid eldehairy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
The best book I've read on the topic. This book is more about "what is REST and why" than "How to do REST". Having read this book, I know the philosophy behind REST, and can see my way through designing RESTfull APIs.
Jeroen
Aug 25, 2009 Jeroen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Software architects
Shelves: work
I love restful web services. "The web as it should be used" is theoretically marvelous but practically difficult to do. This book will get you more excited about REST and help you a bit further but we still aren't there.
Laura Wyglendacz
May 21, 2014 Laura Wyglendacz rated it liked it
Not exactly a gripping read. I don't think it is clearly written, can be hard to see where things are going, found it repetitive and a bit long winded in places. Still, I guess it's a difficult topic to present and I'm learning things, in between being exasperated and bored, anyway.
Martin Chalupa
Feb 02, 2013 Martin Chalupa rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Little bit older but still actual book about REST. Everything is nicely described and just last chapter is little bit outdated.
Richard
Jan 05, 2011 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
Book was good. Too much preference was given to Ruby/Ruby-on-Rails for my taste and according to the author's original intent.
Mahmoud Tantawy
Apr 30, 2014 Mahmoud Tantawy rated it did not like it
skipped most of it, and skimmed the rest
The book could've been a lot shorter, it can be half of its current size or even less and be as informative.
Rafał Borowiec
Mar 18, 2014 Rafał Borowiec rated it really liked it
Good read, although sometimes too many details. Chapter 8 is just great. Can be used as a pocket reference while designing an Api.
Michael
Aug 25, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it
Not sure I'll follow all of his suggestions, but definitely worth reading. I enjoyed the exposure to new concepts.
Alex Ott
Jul 10, 2010 Alex Ott rated it liked it
Shelves: web-dev
Too long, with many not necessary (imho) details. Although there are chapters, that provides good description of REST concepts & how to design REST services
Ken
Dec 07, 2013 Ken added it
Shelves: 2007
True
Kevin
Jun 18, 2008 Kevin rated it liked it
Shelves: technology
Thorough and at times tedious look at REST-based services. It does cut through the hype and explain the benefits of REST rather well, though.
Lily
Apr 02, 2009 Lily is currently reading it
Very good book for web service
  • RESTful Web Services Cookbook
  • REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture
  • Building Scalable Web Sites
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • High Performance Web Sites
  • Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • Programming in Scala
  • Refactoring to Patterns (Addison Wesley Signature Series)
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Programming Collective Intelligence: Building Smart Web 2.0 Applications
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The Rails Way
  • HTTP: The Definitive Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Leonard Richardson is an expert on RESTful API design, the developer of the popular Python library Beautiful Soup, and a science fiction novelist.
More about Leonard Richardson...