Start by marking “The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey into the Minds of Sexual Predators” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,306 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Twenty-two years in the FBI, sixteen of them as a member of the Bureau's Behavioral Science Unit. Thousands of homicides, rapes, suicides, and other gruesome crimes. Roy Hazelwood, like many investigators, has seen it all. But unlike most, he's gone further -- into the dark and twisted psyches of serial killers and sadistic sexual offenders -- and has emerged as one of the ...more
Published January 15th 2000 by St. Martin's True Crime (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Evil That Men Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evil That Men Do

Timothy
I read this before every show on TV was a true crime / profiler / detective type of show. Very interesting. This book will remind you to lock your doors, cover one eye to dialate your pupils in a parking garage, and to keep a round in the chamber and an extra clip in your back pocket.
HannahCassie
It's been more than half a year since I took interest in human behavior particularly in criminals. It all started with study of body language and negotiation. It was also the time when I first heard of Roy Hazelwood. At first his name was just one of many but slowly it started to grow and today I consider Mr Hazelwood as one the people I truly look up to. It is to my sadness that he is retired and I never got a chance to listen to his guest lectures on behavior of serial killers. However, I feel ...more
Stephanie
A better than average book on the thought processes of serial killers, bolstered by his real life experience as an FBI profiler. Hazelwood describes the course of his career in parallel with the development of the Behavioral Science Unit. It is interesting to follow how behavioral science grew from being considered "voodoo science" to a respected part of the FBI procedures to capture criminals.

The book also includes a number of specific cases from Hazelwood's files. I sense the influence of Ste
Cheryl
I have read Robert Ressler's books and John Douglas's books and both spoke highly of Hazelwood (though not of each other), so I was interested to get his perspective on the work of the BSU profilers. I don't know if I have just read some of the stories too much or what, but I didn't find this book as engaging as the others. Maybe I am simply looking for something more from the books. Certainly I was interested in the information that Hazelwood had determined that women in this country were not b ...more
Alexandra
I admit I skimmed through this one, as well as two others on serial killers. I can read on serial killers, and horror, and even watch the documentaries and horror movies, but I think with the true text of what really happen theres only so much that can be taken at once. I did enjoy what I did read of this book though, it was scary and real, I think thats why I had so much trouble finishing it, because all the horror that I read about of clowns and werewolves and stuff I know is all fake.....well ...more
Jim
Fascinating account of one of the first law enforcement people to develop profiles to assist in solving crimes. A good read for those who like true crime books and watch CSI.
Kim
It is certainly a good book if you like crimes and hearing about the specific cases and profiling behind those cases. I personally really like it, though I found myself having read it over the course of a year and not just sitting down and being able to read it in a few days, as it is under 300 pages in length, it should have been easy. I found myself picking this up for a few chapters, getting either overloaded or bored, and remembering it a few months later. It might just be me, but I have to ...more
Jenny
I found it to be a well-written, easy to follow and very informative book. It has really heavy material though, lots of details, many heartbreaking stories which are going to affect you no matter how tough you think you are. I definitely need a 'lighter' read after this one (Before I start reading the next criminology related book on my list.)

I am trying to think how helpful it is for women to know about the four categories of rapists and all their distinct characteristics though... I suppose it
Kelly
Roy Hazelwood is an amazing man. I love stories about how the good guys catch the serial killers, and for some reason serial killers have always fascinated me. It's not the 'what' they do that intrigues me. It's the 'why' they do it? In my next life I want to be an FBI profiler or a forensic psychologist. It's cool when the good guys outsmart the narcissistic bad guys who think they're God. This book has several stories about serial killers, and touches on the why they chose to do what they did. ...more
Rosie
i'm not brave.
i don't have the stomach for gory, bloody, and unimaginable horror that is true-crime.
but i had a phase, where i hoodwinked myself into believing that i can survive reading such books. i did survive, barely. but i didn't expect that the nightmares would follow.
those horribly vivid images that haunt me.
but why still read this book, this book specially about serial killers that mutilate, and one that eat his victims?
i dont know. maybe i want to torture myself sometimes.
maybe i want t
Stephan
Being a fan of the FBIs BSU, this was a quick read for me.
Liz
Good but not as well written as the John Douglas books. Some typos that were hard to not be annoyed with (it is unlikely that anyone can secrete a body).
Theresa
Criminal profiling esp sexual killers featuring Roy Hazelwood, one of the first who studied sexual crimes. Interesting
Robin Mahle
I started reading this book as research for my novel. However, rather than getting the insight into the deviant minds of these horrific and troubled people, I found it to be more of a resume of sorts of Roy Hazelwood. Not that I didn't find it interesting, because parts of it were. I was just hoping for it to be more about the criminals and it really wasn't that at all.
Paula Rae Anderson
It was ok. I skimmed thru most of it. It's a bit mundane.
Naomi
This book is good insight into first, the depravity of man and insight into how evil one can be if "wired" that way. I really enjoyed this book though because I am fascinated by Quantico and Roy Hazelwood, along with John Douglas(one of my favorite authors)and several others, is one of the rock stars of it.
Shannon
Women around the world should read this. It's a great book that really opens your eyes to how vulnerable and trusting you can be and how you can be taken advantage of as a result. It's filled with simple tips that can protect you from male predators. Great book.
Kara
I was expecting more in-depth case studies. Instead, this is kind of a rambling tribute the genious of Roy Hazelwood. There's at least one chapter that doesn't fit with the rest of the book. (Chapter 15, about the sailor that blew up a gun turret on a battleship.)
Mark Weightman
Maybe it is in the nature of the material, or maybe I have difficulty with the lack of structure. Offender profile is discussed but through the not so logical schema of case studies back up by reassurances that finding are backed up by research.
Roxana
Not what I expected. Although it was interesting, it was more focus on the federal agent career than into explain why the criminals he captured did what they did, and how the criminal mind works.I was hoping for a more scientific book.
Aurora
This is definitely at the top of the creepiest/grossest books that I have read--don't like to read it when alone in the house. However I loved it. It is pretty gruesome, nasty and terrifying--but riveting!
Lindsay Bandy
I picked up this book because Chris Carter had a quote on the back. It was an interesting read, but the bulk of the book was spent detailing Hazelwood's journey to becoming a profiler for the FBI.
Portia
This books is not writen especially for writers, but it could have been. It is a memoir of sorts, but it goes deep into the mind of the sexual predator. It reads like a novel. I highly recommend.
ginny
This is a morbid, poorly written book but like a train wreck (or VC Andrews novel) I couldn't look away. All the tales of serial rapists and killers were repulsive and intriguing at the same time.
Joy
Profilers for the FBI are way more into themselves than they should be. No surprises here, but a good chronological accounting of various murders and crime.
Mara
Probably read this about ten books into a true crime spree (reading spree), so I think I may have just been over-saturated...
Elaine
All about the men who started the BSU and aberrant criminal profiling. Love this stuff. Guess it's my guilty pleasure.
Fatbaldguy60
There are some whackos out there, for sure. This book provides fascinating insights into that mindset.
Sae-chan
The fact that I really like this kind of book must really tell something about my profile.
Jessica
Not for everyone, but if you're interested in profiling and the FBI's SOP, check it out..
  • Dark Dreams: Sexual Violence, Homicide And The Criminal Mind
  • The Anatomy of Motive: The FBI's Legendary Mindhunter Explores the Key to Understanding and Catching Violent Criminals
  • Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives
  • Signature Killers
  • The Anatomy of Evil
  • Inside the Criminal Mind
  • Guilty by Reason of Insanity: A Psychiatrist Explores the Minds of Killers
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • Serial Murderers and their Victims (Wadsworth Contemporary Issues in Crime and Justice)
  • The Casebook of Forensic Detection: How Science Solved 100 of the World's Most Baffling Crimes
  • I: The Creation of a Serial Killer
  • Female Serial Killers: How and Why Women Become Monsters
  • Cellar of Horror
  • The Last Victim: A True-Life Journey into the Mind of the Serial Killer
  • Fiend: The Shocking True Story of America's Youngest Serial Killer
  • The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers
  • Bodies We've Buried: Inside the National Forensic Academy, the World's Top CSI Training School
  • What the Corpse Revealed
The Only Living Witness: The True Story of Serial Sex Killer Ted Bundy Ted Bundy: Conversations with a Killer The Devil's Right-Hand Man: The True Story of Serial Killer Robert Charles Browne Beyond Cruel Lethal Shadow: The Chilling True-Crime Story of a Sadistic Sex Slayer