Start by marking “When the Day of Evil Comes (Day of Evil, #1)” as Want to Read:
When the Day of Evil Comes (Day of Evil, #1)

When the Day of Evil Comes (Day of Evil #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  470 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Bizarre Encounter Initiates Extreme Spiritual Battle

Dylan Foster’s carefully constructed, orderly world begins to fray, thread by thread, the day the eyes of hell turn upon her. After a chance encounter with a creepy, sickly looking stranger, her days become punctuated with disturbing, inexplicable events. Desperate for answers, Dylan seeks not only to extricate herself f
Published May 19th 2010 by Multnomah (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about When the Day of Evil Comes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Day of Evil Comes

Ruth
Feb 06, 2009 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prior to meeting Peter Terry, psychologist and professor Dylan Foster's biggest worries were dealing with her father's impending remarriage and the start of a new semester at college. However, Dylan's perspective endures a radical shift when she meets Terry at a faculty retreat. The encounter with the gaunt, white-skinned man with a deep, violent horizontal scar on his back leaves Dylan unsettled, but it's not until her well-ordered life begins to spiral out of control that she realizes the full ...more
Lori
Nov 22, 2012 Lori rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a Christian, you might like this book as long as you can handle a plot without resolution and a heroine who does nothing but pray and follow her "instincts" without any real thought.

If you're not a Christian, it is a fantasy novel with a weak plot and a main character who has very little common sense.

When I realized that the author's bio on the back of the book almost identically matched the description of the main character, I was rather disgusted.

When I then realized that the majori
Kathy
Dec 13, 2008 Kathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To simply say, 'I didn't like it'....doesn't BEGIN to cover it! This is the second worst book I've EVER read!!! (The grand prize for *suckage* goes to 'One Thousand White Women'. In case you were wondering. And I'm sure at least ONE of you wondered.)

Melanie Wells should have kept to her day job. (although, I have my suspicions she sucks at THAT, as well)

The story meanders, BORES, confuses, LOSES YOU OUTRIGHT, and dangles. The only REMOTELY intriguing feature of the book is the idiot on the cove
Beata
The first of a series (two more to go!). One of my favorite genre: supernatural suspense. I enjoyed this book very much. It is very captivating! It's good I finished reading it before midnight - it would be too much of a temptation to sacrifice my sleep :).
Janet
Nov 02, 2011 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys." Screwtape to Wormwood in The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

I didn't want to keep fighting this fight. I didn't want to go inside the building. I wanted to sit there, on the steps of the library in the hot sun, and disappear. I wanted my old, easy, c
Hilarey Johnson
Mar 08, 2011 Hilarey Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book. The pacing is consistently suspenseful and the end was satisfying. I don't often go for spiritual warfare books so this was a new style but Wells' voice is very sincere and pleasing. I look forward to the next two in the series.
Pete Turner
Aug 14, 2011 Pete Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my number one favorite book! Great twists, great description of a demon! Great character as a therapist! THIS IS THE BOOK THAT MADE ME BE A WRITER!! I LOVE IT BEYOND EVERY BOOK! I have read this book at least four times, it's that awesome!
Jacqueline King
Dec 31, 2015 Jacqueline King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
I picked this book up in Singapore, with the second one The Soul Hunter, and read it on the plane ride home. Thank God, a supernatural novel with something other than vampires, werewolves or ghosts. A unique story.
Jane
Dec 05, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
babs
Aug 17, 2013 babs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
A re-read. I adore the plot and the simplistic idea of the story and its characters. I bought all three on amazon so I shall now chomp into the second book.
Jessica Thurlow
Kelly
Jun 08, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely devoured this book. What I want to share is how much I enjoyed this book. I enjoyed it so much I took it with me to the Raven Cafe on Saturday. I squeezed in reading while my husband took his contacts out before bed. Basically, if I could read When the Day of Evil Comes even for a moment, I did it. The only reasons I put the book down was to avoid being rude.

The story introduces us to Dr. Dylan Foster who is a psychology professor at SMU. Dr. Foster sounds like the kind of woman I w
Leola Ogle
Feb 16, 2014 Leola Ogle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book in less than 48 hours, it was that good, a definite page turner. A hint of the writing style of Ted Dekker and Frank Peritti in this book, it offered lots of twists and turns that kept me on the edge of my seat. The ending did disappoint me because it left some things unanswered, particularly about Dylan's mother.
Janet Strydom
Apr 09, 2015 Janet Strydom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading the book I was sure that I will be having bad dreams, but with all the bible quotes in it I had none!
It was a thought provoking book, excellently written and I really want to read the 2nd book, the soul hunter, to get to the end.
I really like the way that Melanie Wells is telling the story
Raven Oak
This book was an honest waste of my time to read. I hate saying that because I think books are amazing and worth the time, but the author relies on way too much deus-ex-machina to fix major plot holes.

Basically, the main character (who is quite obviously the author) prays her way through every plot problem and just waits for the answers to come to her.

It's an incredibly weak plot with a heroine is doesn't do much of anything. I was very disappointed because this book came highly rated here on
Federica
Nov 10, 2015 Federica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shelf
This book was recommended to me and I'm glad because I ended up really liking it. It has some great twists that keep the story interesting until the end of it, and it makes you connect with the main character straight away, which is something I really enjoy in thriller books. I can't wait to read the next two books in this serie to see what happens next! It's not the best thriller I have read so far but it fairly good, it's well-written, not too long, not at all boring, so if I were you I would ...more
Feb 22, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced, gripping, humorous, serious and inspirational. I devoured this book and can't wait to read the next one!
Kelly
Jun 20, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Frank Peretti fans
Shelves: gentle-reads
At a faculty picnic, Dr. Dylan Foster runs into a strange sickly pale man. Later that same day, she receives a package with her mother's engagement ring in it, which was buried with her mother two years prior. Other bizarre things start to happen to Dylan and she soon figures out she's involved in spiritual warfare.

The author, Melanie Wells, leaves the ending somewhat open, so some issues will most likely return in the sequels.
Life Between Coffee Spoons
My opinion of this book was higher until the end approached and I realized I was confused, mostly because a lot of threads felt unresolved. Even with it being the beginning of a series, there needed to be clearer set up and at least some resolution.

However, the main character was likable, though a copy of the author. It does have me intrigued enough to eventually seek out the sequels hoping for some more details.
Jeanine
Jan 20, 2015 Jeanine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creepy page turner. Nice to enjoy a clean, suspenseful read.
Badly Drawn Girl

This is a book I grabbed at a thrift store simply because of the creepy cover. So let's just say my expectations were low when I started it. I was pleasantly surprised. It's not a book that breaks new ground, but it's definitely readable. I liked the main character, and was intrigued with the plot. I would recommend it as a beach read, or for someone who enjoys horror-lite stories.
Sherri
Jun 15, 2010 Sherri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I'm not sure many of you on my goodreads list would enjoy, but I liked it -- it seemed like it was going to be a bit scary in the beginning, but got more suspenseful/mysterious after not too long - focuses on the forces of good and evil, demons and angels, and the roles they play on a particular set of people's lives. I am looking forward to book 2 in the series.
Adrielle
Nov 03, 2015 Adrielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a Christian suspense novel. I say that because it is a stand out. There is more suspense in this novel than many others I have read because the spiritual battle manifests in the flesh. It is well worth the read. I've been looking for more novels like this by Wellsother than this series and haven't had any luck. I will need to read this series again.
Shelly
Mar 12, 2008 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianfiction
This was a great book. It was hard to put down, and I had to go out right away to find the second book in this series. I really enjoyed the main character, Dylan Foster. She is witty, real life and sarcastic. Although there were parts that were so suspenseful I also found myself chuckling and smiling at this character.
LadyCalico
Jun 19, 2009 LadyCalico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book three years ago. Don't remember much except that I enjoyed it until the ending but was left feeling confused and unsatisfied, like it just quit in the middle of things. I was too dumb to realize it was just the first of a series. Now I'll have to re-read it and follow through with the other books.
Ruth Ferguson
Mar 10, 2009 Ruth Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the few Christian fiction books I have read and it was GREAT. This would make an excellent movie. The tension is palable as you read the book. Normally, I would not be into the demon debate but this book really held my attention. I am happy to see I have two other books by this author.

Kristine
My opinion of this book was higher until the end approached and I realized I was a little too confused for my liking, mostly because a lot of threads felt unresolved. However, the main character was likable, and it's got me intrigued enough to seek out the sequels hoping for some more details.
Nicolle
Mar 04, 2012 Nicolle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have purchased from this author and I have to say I am impressed. This book was written very well. The story line did not die out and leave the reader waiting for something to happen. The author carried her characters and story line till the final page.
Ron
Mar 01, 2008 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nestles the classic escalating menace structure of a horror thriller within a framework of spiritual warfare without being preachy, as a Dallas psychology professor fights to regain control of her life after a fallen angel takes an active interest in ruining her.
Lucinda
Jul 28, 2011 Lucinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a creepy book. I know call me weird. This was a great beginning to the Day of Evil series. This is a Christian series so it doesn't have the shock-detail or added vulgarity most books would have. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
  • Waking Lazarus
  • Germ
  • Winter Haven
  • The Lights of Tenth Street
  • Never Let You Go
  • The Ultimatum (Steadfast #2)
  • Plague Maker
  • Nightmare (Dangerous Times, #2)
  • The Martyr's Song
  • Lucifer's Flood
  • The Ishbane Conspiracy
  • Lord Foulgrin's Letters
Melanie Wells began her writing career by telling lies on the playground. An accomplished fiddle player (she went to SMU on a music scholarship), she is the author of the critically acclaimed Dylan Foster series of psychological thrillers: When the Day of Evil Comes, The Soul Hunter, and My Soul to Keep (Waterbrook/Multnomah, a Division of Random House). Melanie holds two masters degrees and is a ...more
More about Melanie Wells...

Day of Evil (3 books)
  • The Soul Hunter (Day of Evil, #2)
  • My Soul to Keep (Day of Evil, #3)

“…I’d let those entering (grad) students in on my secret—higher education is all about perseverance. It has nothing to do with smarts or creativity or anything else.
It’s about cultivating the willingness and stamina for hoop jumping.
Jump through the hoops, I’d say. Do it well. Do it relentlessly. And in a few years you can join the elite of the American education system secure in the knowledge that you too can endure with the best of them.”
8 likes