Start by marking “The Fuller Memorandum” as Want to Read:
The Fuller Memorandum

The Fuller Memorandum (Laundry Files #3)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  6,451 ratings  ·  388 reviews
Computational demonologist Bob Howard is catching up on his filing in the Laundry archives when a top secret dossier known as the Fuller Memorandum vanishes-along with his boss, who is suspected of stealing the file. And while dealing with Russian agents, ancient demons, and a maniacal death cult, Bob must find the missing memorandum before the world ends up disappearing n ...more
Published July 6th 2010 by Ace Books (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Fuller Memorandum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fuller Memorandum

**edited 12/30/13
Have you ever seen the xkcd comic about regular expressions? (If you don't read xkcd, you probably won't enjoy this book, so I'd advise skipping this review.)

Basically, the plot of The Fuller Memorandum is this comic strip, but in novel form and with an invasion of Lovecraftian beasties.

Due to my disapproval of GR's new and highly subjective review deletion policy, I am no longer posting full reviews here.

The rest of this review can be found on Booklikes.
Aug 27, 2015 Carol. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of supernatural, spies, Lovecraft
Bob Howard is having a rough week. His boss has ordered him out to a distant airfield to deal with a supernatural containment issue and in the course of the exorcism, things go very awry. Placed on administrative leave, he’d be at loose ends–except that his boss Angleton gave him an assignment, deputized him for top-secret project BLOODY BARON and has subsequently disappeared. Within short order, his wife Mo is sent on a quick mission-CLUB ZERO–only to return shell-shocked. Even worse, the Russi ...more
Chad Pilcher

In his Laundry Files series, Charles Stross has fun sending raw lumps of genre trope through his own literary Fun Factory. What extrudes out the other end is a tentacular tangle of homage comprising the pulpy horror of Lovecraft, the world-weary existentialism of the Cold War British espionage novel, and the cynicism and techie in-jokes of Simon Travaglia's "Bastard Operator From Hell" stories.

The Laundry Files detail the exploits of one Bob Howard, network sysadmin, field operat
Ben Babcock
It’s safe to say that the Laundry Files is my favourite of Charles Stross’ series. It’s starting to rank up there with the Dresden Files as far as urban fantasy goes. The two series have a lot in common: each book is a self-contained, madcap thriller with supernatural elements; while overall, the series mythology continues to grow and head towards some kind of apocalyptic climax.

In The Fuller Memorandum, Bob and Mo become tangled up in a plot by some cultists to steal Teapot, also known as the E
Good paranormal thriller, leaning toward horror as Bob learns an awful lot about his boss after his boss goes missing. And then he has to deal with fanatical Elder Gods' cultists, leading to Bob's Very Bad, No Good, Completely Horrific Day.
Fantasy Literature
I just can’t get enough of THE LAUNDRY FILES. This series has almost everything I want in an urban SFF adventure — an intelligent hero with a wry sense of humor and a great voice; an eclectic supporting cast; a fast pace with lots of action and plot twists; a cool mix of fantasy and science fiction; occasionally odd (and interesting) structural choices; a reverence for geek culture; and a smattering of computer science, mathematics, quantum physics and neuroscience. And Lovecraft. I love it.

In T
Michael Shelton
This was a solid entry in The Laundry Files series but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two. The Cold War style of espionage didn't really interest me and this book has A LOT of that. However I did like it and will definitely continue with the series. This is a very unique universe where Lovecraftian Elder Gods threaten to invade our reality and it's the Laundry's job to make sure that doesn't happen. Since I have a degree in Math I particularly like the idea that magic is based on computa ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Well the third in the "Laundry Files" series. I always vacillate on how to rate these. I mean they should almost have their own shelf(elves) titled "horror sort of" or "urban fantasy sort of". These are largely tongue in cheek novels played for comedy but they are told with an underlying serious tone. They aren't really satire nor are they parody as they aren't making fun of the genres. They go for a "kind of" (or "sort of") absurdest tone with a narrator relating the events that surround a "sec ...more
Jan 11, 2011 Alan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Occult enthusiasts with a mathematical bent
Recommended to Alan by: A high-level glamour
You will want to have read the first two Laundry novels—The Atrocity Archives and The Jennifer Morgue—before picking up this third excursion into the eldritch horror of higher mathematics and computational conjuring. And I do mean that you will want to have read them, and in order; not only do those earlier works contain essential background, they're also cracking good yarns, and the world of the Laundry is one of the all-around neatest conceits I've ever run across.

Charles Stross hits all the r
Kat  Hooper

In T
Such a beautiful thing to be the Eater of Souls. I truly enjoy departmental cockups in lit, and when it all goes pear-shaped, I go all teary-eyed. Maybe if I try to get on the fast-track, I, too, can be an immortal monster determined to defend the Upper-Middle-Class English Lifestyle. We can only hope.
Many people have their own personal indicators that tell them whether or not what they’ve got on their hands is something really good. For some, it’s how much they smile while they’re reading something, or playing a video game, or watching a TV show or movie; for others, it’s whether or not they cry at the end; for yet others, it’s a combination of both. Others might have somewhat more unusual indicators: I know of at least one person who knows they are reading something good if, from time to ti ...more
It may be pointless reviewing this book other than to say, this is the third in the series, don't start here. Start with the Atrocity Archives and if you later end up here, you'll know why.

This was third and my least favourite so far of the Laundry files, and makes me worry a little that I've fallen into a Discworld type trap where the author has come up with a unique and initially interesting scenario, but then starts turning the handle to churn out the same novel again and again (Sorry Terry P
C.T. Phipps
I decided to give The Laundry series another try after being gravely disappointed with The Jennifer Morgue. I was intrigued in The Atrocity Archives by the possibilities of a Lovecraftian spy agency, particularly since I was a huge fan of Delta Green, but The Jennifer Morgue's parody of James Bond was shallow and uninteresting.

The Fuller Memorandum, by contrast, is a return to form and I appreciate it. It takes the premise of a Lovecraftian threat to the world seriously while simultaneously al
Stross writes sci-fi horror. At least, that's what the collection known as The Laundry Files novels are. And I love them.

The phrase "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" appears once or twice in his books, and seems to sum up his writing style. Bob, the main character in The Laundry Files, works in IT, has access to a pair of geniuses called Pinky and Brains (and if you don't get that reference you're too young, so go read something else), carries around an iPho
Fantastic. Just fantastic. I loved The Atrocity Archives to an absurd degree, The Jennifer Morgue was good but the Roger Moore tone of parts left me cold. The Laundryverse is dark, the books should be too and Fuller goes straight down the rabbit hole wearing black eyeliner.
Ben Hatfield
My least favorite of the laundry files so far, I found this book the hardest to follow. I'm learning to accept the Stross pace, which is as jumpy as the djia these days. This being said, the Fuller Memorandum really spreads itself thin between characters in varying locations, random scenarios, and character development which I think is supposed to be significant - but i found the inner mind set of peril for each of the characters not only lacking, but often completely absent.

So why still the thr
Geen overduidelijke pastiche meer, zoals The Atrocity Archives en The Jennifer Morgue, maar gewoon een echt boek met echte personages die al eens geïntroduceerd werden. Op de wijze van een spionagethriller van Anthony Price.

Eens kijken hoe dat zit met de chronologie... yep, 't is wat ik dacht: er zitten een paar jaar voelbaar kwaliteitsverschil tussen dit en de voorganger.

Nog altijd geen grote literatuur, maar wel allemaal wat volwassener, had ik de indruk.

Bob Howard wordt op een ogenschijnlijk
The Fuller Memorandum is the third in Charles' Stross series of thriller/horror crossover novels. You can read Memorandum without having to read the preceding two (The Atrocity Archives and The Jennifer Morgue). Exposition is generously provided and only a small number of recurring characters need reintroduction.

Each book follows Bob Howard, occult secret agent for 'The Laundry', the codename for Britain's occult secret service. Bob is less James Bond, more George Smiley by way of the IT Crowd.
Michael Burnam-fink
Laundry series: James Bond, Cthulhu, and Dilbert walk into a showing of Monty Python and the Knights of the Holy Grail. You know the drill.

In this case, Bob is investigating top-secret Squadron 666 (nuclear armed Concordes and extra-dimensional reconnaissance) on behalf of his strange and terrifying boss Angleton when everything goes pear-shaped. A bystander is killed, Angleton disappears, and cultists and Russian Occult Intelligence agencies are chasing after something called The Eater of Souls
Lauren Donoho
If you liked the first two Laundry books, you'll enjoy this one, too. If you didn't like the earlier Laundry books, probably won't like this one, either.

That being said, Fuller Memorandum is my favorite of the Bob Howard books so far - the James Bond tropes in Jennifer Morgue went a little overboard for my taste, and the pacing issues in Atrocity Archives bugged me. This third book in the series hits a sweet spot in terms of pacing, as the action starts in the first chapter and doesn
Hurrah - it turns out Charles Stross can write an entire book then stop. This was my favourite of the trilogy - someone else said it was their least favourite. It explains some of the things that have niggled me in the previous 2 books - why do Auditors care about paper-clips and who is Angleton for example. Not quite as many UNIX or maths jokes but I did like the implication that Apple products have a "glamour" so people want to buy them.
I really wanted to like this book. I read the first two in the series one after the other (bam-bam) and couldn't wait to get started on this one.

I love the premise of the books - computational demonology secret service agents....

This one was just.... I don't know... too dark?

The first two was like a roller-coaster, tongue in cheek horror-satire... this one lacked the roller-coaster tongue in cheek aspects, I think. After a few chapters, where it already became apparent that Bob is not going to h
I enjoyed the first two books in the series much more than this one. I found myself skipping too many passages of prose describing the interface between hi-tech gadgets and wizardry. It was amusing for a while but I feel it's overdone in this one. There are some nice moments of course but not enough to carry the book. Time to write about something else Mr Stross, maybe take us back to quirky science fiction please.
The Laundry Files are a perfect blend of spy thriller, cosmic horror, and comedy. The Fuller Memorandum continues this trend quite well.

In this installment, Bob Howard gets entangled in the latest moves of a game that goes back to the Russian revolution. We learn more about Angleton, Bob's boss and general scary sorcerer. We get some background on the interaction between the Laundry and their counterparts around the world. And we get more information about Bob's wife Mo, fellow Laundry operator
Boy HOWDY! This series is science fiction/urban fantasy A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!! I need to get all of these to the top of my Simply Audio wishlist ASAP!
I think I find it easier to listen to the thrill-ride that is The Laundry, that government agency that protects England from the things that go bump in the night. Each book is meticulously told, with intricatre detail that I might get lost if reading in print. But listening to the story, I can go back to the previous track and have Gideon Emory tell me
I'm a little torn on this novel. It was definitely a good book, and one I feel follows up The Jennifer Morgue quite while, but the magic system in place begins to diverge quite a bit. In the earlier books, magic was largely related to various sorts of mathematical properties, and the leaking of aliens from other universes into ours. Starting in the Fuller Memorandum though, the lines get kind of blurry, and things start to be just magic, rather than math-backed magic.

There's a reasonable explana
John Carter McKnight
Surprisingly predictable plot, especially from an author known for his Byzantine complexity. The beginning's hilarious, but overall it's darker and drier than the previous Laundry Files novels. It felt much more like a generic thriller than the marvelous lunacy of the previous books. Still, the characters are terrific, and it's a quick, fun, if fairly average, read.
Matt Comstock
So far? Excellent Stross. On finishing, for some reason, I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two Atrocity Archives/Laundry books. In between I read Declare, a book that Stross mentioned had a similar plot to the stories he's written. That was not a funny book; much darker. The Fuller Memorandum reminded me of that one.
Magic is just applied mathematics, and if you research a wrong theorem, the many-angled many-tentacled ones might just come knocking to your door.

The Lanudry Files is an awesome mash-up of Lovecraftian Mythos and spy-thrillers set in today's world. We follow Bob Howard, a computational demonologist and an employee of The Laundry, a British secret service dedicated to battling the cosmic horros which think that we are quite tasty. And in the Fuller Memorandum, we get to see that most well known
  • Declare
  • Delta Green: Denied to the Enemy
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club
  • The Neon Court (Matthew Swift, #3)
  • The Fear Institute (Johannes Cabal, #3)
  • Degrees of Freedom (Samuil Petrovitch, #3)
  • London Falling (Shadow Police, #1)
  • Surface Detail (Culture, #9)
  • Polity Agent (Agent Cormac, #4)
  • The Prefect
  • The Quantum Thief (Jean le Flambeur, #1)
  • Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim, #3)
  • The Coldest War (The Milkweed Triptych, #2)
  • Live and Let Drood (Secret Histories, #6)
  • CryoBurn (Vorkosigan Saga, #14)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • The Execution Channel
Charles David George "Charlie" Stross is a writer based in Edinburgh, Scotland. His works range from science fiction and Lovecraftian horror to fantasy.

Stross is sometimes regarded as being part of a new generation of British science fiction writers who specialise in hard science fiction and space opera. His contemporaries include Alastair Reynolds, Ken MacLeod, Liz Williams and Richard Morgan.

More about Charles Stross...

Laundry Files (7 books)
  • The Atrocity Archives (Laundry Files, #1)
  • The Jennifer Morgue (Laundry Files, #2)
  • The Apocalypse Codex (Laundry Files, #4)
  • The Rhesus Chart (Laundry Files, #5)
  • The Annihilation Score (Laundry Files, #6)
  • The Nightmare Stacks (Laundry Files, #7)

“Unfortunately it's also true to say that good management is a bit like oxygen - it's invisible and you don't notice its presence until it's gone, and then you're sorry.” 22 likes
“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a sane employee in possession of his wits must be in want of a good manager.” 16 likes