Start by marking “Diary of a Very Bad Year: Confessions of an Anonymous Hedge Fund Manager” as Want to Read:
Diary of a Very Bad Year: Confessions of an Anonymous Hedge Fund Manager
Preview

Diary of a Very Bad Year: Confessions of an Anonymous Hedge Fund Manager

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The First Book from n+1—an Essential Chronicle of Our Financial Crisis

HFM: Where are you going to buy protection on the U.S. government's credit? I mean, if the U.S. defaults, what bank is going to be able to make good on that contract? Who are you going to buy that contract from, the Martians?

n+1: When does this begin to feel like less of a cyclical thing, like the weath
Published June 22nd 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published April 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of a Very Bad Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of a Very Bad Year

David
DIARY OF A REALLY BAD YEAR:

Jan 3: forgot to go to the gym today, was really busy, will definitely go tomorrow though.

Mar 18: got promoted at work! too bad that other guy got fired, YOLO.

Apr 13: UGH NEED TO DO MY TAXES. Isn't there a robot or something to do this for me? I just want to watch SVU on Netflix.

Apr 14: Damn, I should have done my taxes in February.

May 6: So hungover... I should do a juice cleanse.

May 7: SO HUNGRY, I HATE KALE JUICE.

May 8: caved and ate a whole carton of ice cream, wil
Luke
Excellent, readable introduction to the economic crisis of 2008-Present. While it is quite educational, this book is hampered by the fact many of the 'terms of art' of trading (credit default swaps, collateralized debt obligations, etc.) are not defined at the outset. Indeed, there is a minor flood of acronyms towards the beginning of the book. This trend abates markedly as the book progresses. This book is notable for three things:

1. It is prima facie evidence that the market cannot regulate it
Josh Paul
These interviews give a nice summary of the '08 financial crisis, along with its causes and consequences. Furthermore, they do so in a way that is approachable to people without much background in finance. That said, the book isn't just a "crisis for dummies.' The anonymous hedge fund manager being interviewed in the book is generally self-reflective and likable (except for some occasional bitching about his taxes), and has some interesting comments on the virtues that one successful in finance. ...more
Matthew Richman
Interesting concept: an expert on financial institutions and capital markets (an anonymous hedge fund manager or HFM in the book) and otherwise well-educated intellectual journal editor (n+1) who knows absolutely nothing about finance have several conversations throughout the financial crisis. This is the second time I read this book. The first was immediately after it was published to try to help me make sense of what had just happened in 2008-2009. This time reading was after most of an MBA in ...more
Justin
Great introductory reader into the Financial crisis. I think it would be a much more enjoyable read than some of the gigantic memoirs of the self-interested players (Paulson, Geithner, etc.). The perspective from a practitioner investing through the crisis and his mostly impartial views make this book stand out. Also the dynamic of having a layperson with relatively little knowledge of finance helped keep the book clear to the average reader. The jargon is almost always explained and most of the ...more
Mary
the best chapter of this diary was the "proletariat rage" chapter-or something like that-that outlines what money dudes actually saw when they were confronted by one of madoff's salesman. HFM is a clever reader of human nature, while the interviewer is amazingly blinded by his naivete. it's sad to think about the damage this type of person can do, especially around election time.
Athan Tolis
I don't think you can read this book and make sense of it if you don't work in Finance.

But if I'm wrong and you can, that would make it my favorite book on the crisis. For the sake of keeping score, I rank this anonymous hedge fund manager above Joseph Stiglitz, Andrew Ross Sorkin, Robert Schiller, Alan Blinder, Neil Barofsky, Anatole Kaletsky, Simon Johnson, the lot of them. To say nothing of Matt Taibi, Michael Lewis, Jeff Sachs, Hank Paulson, Paul Krugman and the various other guys who have a
Kate
This is a great concept for a book, and I started it hoping to have a better grasp of what goes on at Wall Street and the financial crisis of 2008. In the end it wasn't the book's fault, but finance markets and taking advantage of normal Americans do not make for pleasant reading.

I'd recommend this book to friends who majored in finance in college, maybe work in finance, or who find this stuff interesting as a hobby or for people considering studying the subject. But as someone who always found
Al Swanson
An excellent story excellently written. Basically a series of conversations between a financial reporter and (as evidenced by the title) an anonymous hedge fund manager. From late 2008 through early 2010, the two talked about the markets, the products and the financial system as a whole. They also discussed the talk surrounding those same subjects - which was almost as interesting.
I started reading about the financial markets for two reasons: 1) I was, in a past incarnation, a stock broker and s
Todd N
Oh, baby. This is why the Kindle is so great: I read a review of this book in the New York Times, read more reviews, downloaded it, and then carried my Kindle with me as I did everything until I finished reading it.

This book is a series of interviews with an anonymous hedge fund manager, called HFM, during the financial crisis. The interviewer--who is not anonymous--founded a hoity-toity literary magazine and comes from the there-are-no-dumb-questions school of interviewing, which is a good thin
Micah
Whew. This was a short but intense read. The amount of knowledge that spews forth effortlessly from the anonymous hedge fund manager interviewed here (HFM) is nothing short of astounding. I'm not sure I really understood half of it, but I did my best. I don't think Keith Gessen did, either, and he makes no effort to pretend, which is pretty humorous. HFM is dropping insane knowledge on how the sixty-day corporate bond market works and all Gessen can manage is a stuttering half-sentence--which is ...more
Amber
Extremely interesting book, both because the hedge-fund manager interviewed was so thoughtful about the big-picture implications of the financial crisis, and because the narrative structure was set up in real-time, tracking what the hedge-fund manager thought throughout the crisis rather than purely in retrospect. I found the HFM (as he is called in the book) to be extremely perceptive, especially with regard to the financial sector and its inefficiencies and issues. HFM's explanations of comple ...more
Chavi
Oct 04, 2012 Chavi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: money
Engaging, interesting, even suspenseful.
It's a series of interviews between a journalist and a hedge fund manager over the year and a half, from March 2008 (Bear's collapse) to May 2009, when the world had stopped ending.
These interviews are not written in hindsight. They are written as these events are unfolding - Bear's collapse and save, Lehman's collapse, AIG's bailout, and then once the finance sector is out of the water, the real economy begins to feel the effects in unemployment, forecl
srdjan
Great read, and the most consistent with my experience of that time period. Unlike other books on the topic, that overlay a narrative that simply was not there, this book captures the feel and reality of living through these events. Hfm is an informed, thoughtful and in my opinion likable guy. Also, his approach to understanding the world and way of thinking about it are a pretty good proxy for my own.

The interviewer was out of his depth as he admitted (though occasionally surprisingly astute),
James
I enjoyed the book as a fresh take on the financial crises. It was interesting to see the world from HFMs eyes, albeit with the attached blinkers.

I did find his habit of using complicated words in the wrong context both annoying and revealing. One example is HFM talks about being epistemologically arrogant in the context of thinking that ones particular time in history is different. So after looking up what that meant I can only conclude that HFM does not know the real meaning of the word, whic
Krista
This was a pretty quick read (though to be honest, there were parts that I skimmed). I was sort of checked out of the news during the financial crisis a few years back (was in the grad school bubble), so this was pretty interesting in explaining a lot of went on. It certainly made me glad I wasn't working in the financial sector at the time. I'm also curious (maybe will ask my brother) to know more about the bias of HFM (anonymous Hedge Fund Manager), whether what he says would be generally acce ...more
Hillary
A year after the fact, this book feels off, almost smug. I enjoyed it but knew most of what was said. The interviewer didn't press the hedge fund manager as much as I would have liked (and he admits that he was ill-informed about the subject). That let HFM get away with some things, most glaringly to me the lack of reflection about the role hedge funds play in our economy. He puts the 2007-9 blowup squarely on the shoulders of the banks, absolving funds of all responsibility.

If you're going to r
Christopher
I was very surprised how much I enjoyed this book. The interviewer (a writer for a literary 'zine) asks some very insightful questions and makes a point of getting the hedge fund manager he's interviewing to clarify a number of terms of art that would otherwise have muddied the waters pretty badly.

HFM has some really insightful observations to make on the financial crisis - exactly what happened, why, and what we should be doing to fix it.

I definitely felt like I have a better sense of how the i
Dan
One of the better books I have read on the Subprime crisis and subsequent recession. It helps to have some familiarity of the subject as the basic descriptions of terms like CDO's and CDS's are somewhat lacking. However, I thought given the fact that the format is an interview, the book is exceptionally concise in its description of what happened and why things went so badly. The book loses a little steam at the end, but it may be that the original serial form of the interviews was a stronger fo ...more
Fernando
The hedge fund manager is an economist in the purest sense of the word. He speaks Econ and even though I am sure he has never read any of the papers I read in grad school, he knows them all -- he knows the main message and philosophy of them all. His clarity of thought is remarkable, except when he goes on vacation, you can see the wheels in his brain not turning quite as fast. Which is also a fascinating phenomenon. A quick read if you know the crisis, a but technical if you don't.
Kevin Afable
Just as the title says - the book offers a first hand perspective of an interview with a HF manager during the start, middle, and close to the end of the worst part of the 2008 financial crisis.

The greatest value of the book comes from the anecdotes embedded within the conversations between the HFM and interviewer, while it may not depict exact details and trading strategies (not much practical use to the average reader anyway), it certainly portrayed how these managers think.
Justin
Not only tedious but totally lacking an insight. This wasn't so much a confessional as it was a record of casual conversations between some pretentious lit mag writer and a hedge fund manager. Nothing but softball questions. I walked away from this book learning nothing new about the financial crisis. Nothing about how the system works, where it's flawed, or any dirty secrets, just the musings of some rich guy who walked away from this whole debacle relatively unscathed...
Brian Zheng
The book consists of a series of interviews conducted with an anonymous hedge fund manager during 2007-2009. It's an easy reading offering good insight of how the fund manager perceive the events as they unveil one by one during the crisis. The only drawback is that the interviewer is not an investment professional. On the other hand, because of this, the interview becomes story telling by the HF manager with good flows and no interruption.
Greg Brown
A fantastic, wide-ranging look into the factors that led to the financial crisis, and why it developed the way it did. The interview format and omnivorous subject allows the discussion to snap from the automated "black box" trading to the effects of emotion on risk-taking. Highly recommended, especially if you're familiar with the general course of events but want to learn more about how it all fits together.
Ian
Interesting meandering series of interviews between a naïve author and an astute hedge fund manager. This would not be a good introduction to reading on the 08-09 financial crisis, but it does serve as a nice complement for readers with prior knowledge. For those of us who've been in the markets for awhile, it's a nice flashback to those crazy days when it felt like the world was about to end every time we woke up.
Tyson Titensor
Interesting to read this right after completing Spiers' Education of a Value Investor. The HFM manages to drive home a lot of Spiers' key points.

I thought Gessen's interviewing was excellent and by the end I felt like I had a better understanding of the mechanisms behind the financial crisis.

I was bracing myself for some serious vilification of finance but I found the book to be very balanced.
Benjamin
I think I understood about 1/2 of this book. I'll probably retain about 1/4. Still, really interesting to hear someone inside the credit market crash talk about the economy. Also probably the most entertaining/fascinating interview I've ever read. Highly recommended for anybody with an interest in Wall Street.
Jessica
Just because n+1 had a hand it bringing this book to light doesn't justify leaving it without a coherent narrative structure. Interviews transcribed and published without any kind of editorial framing makes for a frustrating, though occasionally illuminating, read about the collapse of the hedge fund market.
Jonathan
Great look back at the crisis. Really interesting perspective on both the big picture and the manager's fund in particular. Can't remember the last book I just couldn't put down...practically read the whole thing in one sitting.
Emma
Aug 03, 2010 Emma rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People curious about the role of hedge funds in the economy.
Shelves: non-fiction
In which I learned about factors contributing to our delightful economic situation.

my full review
  • Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in a Global Market
  • Bailout Nation: How Greed and Easy Money Corrupted Wall Street and Shook the World Economy
  • On the Brink: Inside the Race to Stop the Collapse of the Global Financial System
  • More Money Than God: Hedge Funds and the Making of a New Elite
  • Origins of the Crash: The Great Bubble and Its Undoing
  • ECONned: How Unenlightened Self Interest Undermined Democracy and Corrupted Capitalism
  • The Last Tycoons: The Secret History of Lazard Frères & Co.
  • Devil Take the Hindmost:  a History of Financial Speculation
  • Traders, Guns & Money: Knowns and Unknowns in the Dazzling World of Derivatives
  • Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies
  • The Great Stagnation: How America Ate All The Low-Hanging Fruit of Modern History, Got Sick, and Will (Eventually) Feel Better
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • The Winner's Curse: Paradoxes and Anomalies of Economic Life
  • Fiasco: The Inside Story of a Wall Street Trader
  • Fool's Gold
  • Overhaul: An Insider's Account of the Obama Administration's Emergency Rescue of the Auto Industry
  • How Markets Fail: The Logic of Economic Calamities
  • King of Capital: The Remarkable Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of Steve Schwarzman and Blackstone