Start by marking “Killer Cruise” as Want to Read:
Killer Cruise

Killer Cruise (A Jaine Austen Mystery #8)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  949 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Wordsmith Jaine Austen's ship has finally come in. Her new teaching job on a fancy cruise line nabs her a free vacation -- and access to a 24-hour buffet! But sooner than you can say "bon voyage," Jaine's all-expenses-paid trip to the Mexican Riviera seems destined to be a wreck -- beginning with the discovery of her cat, Prozac in her luggage. The cruise goes from bad to ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 311 pages
Published July 1st 2009 by Center Point (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Killer Cruise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Cruise

Harvee
In the middle of reading a long and serious book for a Goodreads book discussion group, I found this light and amusing mystery novel, a real comedy, which I gobbled up in less than a day.

Killer Cruise has only one murder! And there are so many possible culprits on board the cruise ship Festival, ranging from a jilted ex-fiancee, an ice sculptor, and the relatives and close friends of a silver haired lady being swept off her feet by love at first dance.

Our heroine and crime solver, Jaine Austen
Ellie
Killer Cruise by Laura Levine is #8 in her Jaine-with-an-i Austen mystery series. It's generally bad news when a series starts going on location but I enjoyed this installment of Jaine's adventures aboard a cruise ship where (using her leverage as copy writer for a toilet company) Jaine teaches a writing class while eating her way through the buffet and crushing on handsome men while investigating the murder of a gigolo.

Nothing of great surprise but I have grown very fond of Jaine, her cat Proza
Karen GoatKeeper
The mystery part of the book is fine. Prozac the cat is fine. Jaine Austen, the amateur detective, bothered me.
Jaine gets a job teaching a 'how to write a memoir' class on a cruise. She denigrates her own writing. She is not prepared to teach the class. [I am a writer and was a teacher so this was annoying.] Although the class, such as it is, would be a teacher's nightmare.
Prozac stows himself away in a believable manner. He does provide the basis for setting up a number of things important to t
Lauren
They are delightful mysteries but 7/8 books into the series and countless dozens of reads into the genre, I must admit I am less than thrilled. The tropes of the mystery genre I have discovered so far:
1. Unlucky in love
2. Weight problems
3. Incompetant at profession
4. The everywoman, ad nauseum
5. A convenient crutch, in this case, cat.
The list goes on.

What about mysteries where the hero/heroine earns my respect by actually excelling at his/her job, whose romantic status is utterly irrelevant to
Carole
Jaine Austen, technical writer, gets a free cruise in exchange for teaching a course in learning how to write an autobiography. She starts off being off balance when she learns that her cat has stowed away, so she spends the whole cruise trying, sometimes unsuccessfully, to hide her cat since she didn't want her cat to spend the whole trip in quarantine. The people who find out, all try a little blackmail. Jaine also gets involved in trying to solve a murder and almost getting killed herself.
Mark Baker
Jaine has earned herself a free vacation by agreeing to teach memoire writing aboard a cruise ship. But things go from bad (her cat stows away) to worse when someone is murdered on board and Jaine's new friend is accused of the crime. Absolutely hilarious as always with a decent mystery as well.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Michelle
Jaine Austen hits the high seas, teaching a class on writing one's memoirs, in the latest mystery by Laura Levine. Of course, there is murder mystery to be solved and with the usual charming list of suspects, I honestly never expected the killer to be who it was. Laura Levine's books are a quick read, usually done within a day if I can read uninterrupted, but always a joy to read. The darling kitty that rules the roost makes the cruise, stowing away in the luggage, and setting off a whole new se ...more
bella
Killer Cruise is the 8th Jaine Austen mystery by Laura Levine.

This time Jaine is off on a all-expenses paid cruise in exchange for teaching a writing class. All plans to attack the 24 hour buffet and sunbake go awry when a dancer is murdered and its Jaine to find the killer before they strike again.

I loved this series from the very first book. Jaine is a delight with her sense of humor and love of chocolate. However I found the previous book (Killing Bridezilla) a little flat. Still I was keen t
Pam Masters
Finished this one today. Found it hard to concentrate on it as I was reading it at work on lunch breaks (I swear it has to be the worst place to try and read anything!).

Ok, now on to my thoughts on the book. Jaine is a funny main character. She's not the super self confident woman one finds in lots of books. She's flawed, and she knows it. That's great, it helps me relate to her a lot better. This is the second novel I have read with Jaine Austen as the main character. And like the first one I
Luffy Monkey D.
It could easily have been 5 stars, but the murderer's confession took the wind out of the book's sail. I'm so happy to announce that the author has crafted another remarkable book. She has been able to extract even more entertaining tidbits from her characters. Do read this book, even if it takes more than one leaf out of a more prolific British and well dead author whose name is synonymous with flair and invention. By changing the stage for her story, Laura Levine has kept my interest alive in ...more
Up-in
This is the 8th book in the Jaine Austen series by Laura Levine. This was another funny cozy mystery that had me laughing at the antics of Jaine and her parents. In this book, Jaine agrees to be the guest lecturer on a cruise ship. Her parents come to her apartment to watch her cat, Prozac, while she’s gone. However, Prozac sneaks into her luggage and goes along for the cruise. The things Jaine must do to keep at cat hidden on the ship are funny. She agrees to edit and type one of the other empl ...more
Sherry Lewis heinecke
I loved this book . Laura Levine is one of my favorite authors. I love the way Jaine Austin is always getting herself in trouble. This book had me hooked from the first page all the way to the last page.

Liz
Another fun Jaine Austen mystery. This one was set on a cruise ship and found Jaine again playing sleuth. Lots of fun stuff going on. Plenty of new interesting characters. It didn't thrill me endlessly like the others, hence the four star rating. But I still enjoyed it.
Max "Mr Divabetic" Szadek
I really enjoyed this book by Laura Levine. I love the humor sprinkled throughout every chapter.
Paula
These are such fun and witty reads. And I never guess who dunnit either!

This time Jaine wins a free cruise because she is going to give lectures on writing. She is sent to the lower decks because she is considered an employee. Prozac stowes away in Jaine's trunk and it is too late to return her so she hides her in her room.

Jaine's tablemates are a family with a rich aunt who is being taken by some in the group. When Aunt Emily is smitten with a male escort on the cruise, some of the family are
Christi
love this book! a halarious mystery with a good plot line and it will keep you intrested!
Sarah (Mood Reader)
Jun 29, 2009 Sarah (Mood Reader) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
Recommended to Sarah (Mood Reader) by: Sheryl
I read this book for a book club task. The task was called "Find A Gem" and you had to find a book with less than 50 ratings and read it. I found this book due to one of my friend's bookshelves and fell in love with it. From beginning to end it had me on my feet trying to figure out who the killer was. I still have some questions about this book and why some things turned out the way they did. However I really did find a gem and I am thankful for it. I will probably more than likely read more of ...more
Susan
Jaine Austen is hired to teach a class on a cruise ship bound for Mexico. Anticipating a peaceful vacation, she finds that her cat has stowed away in her luggage, and she must bribe her cabin steward to keep the animal concealed. Then she finds herself involved with Emily, a wealthy, elderly woman who seems to be falling for one of the ship's gentleman escorts, to the dismay of her family--and of the escort's fiancee, a cabaret singer. When someone is killed, Jaine is sure that the ship's securi ...more
Adrienne
KILLER CRUISE
Review
-------------------
(Note: This series might be considered "fluff mystery" or "mystery-light." Each book can be read separately and out of order.)

There are some incredibly unbelievable moments in the plot and storyline, but I keep reading the series because the books are at least entertaining.
Michele
I have read many in this series. If you are looking for something meaninful, insightful or intellectually stimulating, pass on this. If you are looking to be entertained, have a fun read and still be able to play a hand of Uno with the kids and not lose the plot, this is for you. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to more of the hilarious adventures of Jaine Austen...but more to the point, I can't wait to see what her cat, Prozac, will do to her next!!!
judy
I confess. I read it because of the cat. I've read other Laura Levine/Jaine Austen mysteries and this one was right in line. Pure froth with some chuckles and an arrogant cat (Prozac). Her books are tolerable because, despite the deliberate silliness, the woman knows her craft. She's written for The Bob Newhart Show, Laverne & Shirley, and a whole bunch of other top rated sit coms. So if you're looking for light, quick and amusing, Levine is good place to go.
Nadine
Funny, funny, funny!! Love these books. Jaine is my kinda girl. The trouble she seems to get in and the decisions she makes are hilarious , and I just love her Dad. The only thing I was a little sad about was that her BFF Lance was not in it as much as I would've liked. Imagine....Lance and Jaine on a ship together, and the mishaps , arguments, and trouble they could have gotten into. Still loved the book and looking forward to the others. Happy Reading:)
Jackie
That's more like it. I really didn't enjoy the last Jaine Austen mystery. But this one is like her others. Funny, fun and a quick read. Jaine gets a free cruise for a week and all she has to do is give a class on writing during the week. Prozac, her cat, stows away. She is being blackmailed into editing a boring manuscript and romance may be in the air for her. A murder takes place on the cruise and Jaine is out to find out who the killer is. Lots of fun.
Janet
I don’t remember seeing any cuties hired to flirt with the ladies when I went my cruise. That rather disappointing observation aside, I found it refreshing that, for once, Jaine’s love interest turned out relatively well. I’d still like to see something work out for Jaine. Granted, it is funny that every little thing goes wrong for her, but it’s starting to get repetitive for me. Levine ought to consider giving her Jaine a chance to shine.
Elaine
This was another good book in the Jaine (yes, I spelled it right) Austen mystery series by Laura Levine. I'm reading these books out of order, but I don't think it's taking anything away from the books. These books make me laugh even when I'm sitting here by myself. :) I have never been a mystery reader but I plan to read every book in the series. This is my 2nd one and again I didn't figure out 'who done it' until it was revealed at the end.
May
Despite not really feeling into this one, it turned out to be rather amusing. I think I just need to NOT pick up another in this series for a good long while. The same-ness of Jaine (chubby, overeating, no self control, very low self-confidence) is grating at this point.

There is the trademark humor and the story whips right along - I'd say it's 3 1/2 stars. Solid, but not memorable enough to be considered great.
Joan
Murder mystery about a wannabe private eye/author named Jaine Austen. She was invited to be a guest lecturer about "learning to write" during a cruise. The book is a whodunnit but is written in first person and with a sense of humor. There is nothing seriously disturbing in it and it contains some silly turns and twists. It's not a page turner but is a satisfying read.
Noelle
This author's series is such a fun read! I remember reading one book in this series a long time ago and liking it. Boy am I glad I rediscovered her books! A mystery that involves humor and a cat is good for me! I am ready to devour the rest in this series. Unfortunately, I might have to purchase them if I get desperate because my library doesn't have all of them in stock.
Cindy
Being recent cruisers, I thought it would be fun to relive the experience by reading a cruise murder....not that we had a murder on board (at least not to our knowledge). I thought it would be fun to write a book about a murder on a cruise ship...so many details and international laws etc..., but this book was truly a beach read. Fluff.
SPOILER: Scuba diving 2 12 Feb 24, 2012 06:48AM
  • Murder with All the Trimmings (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #4)
  • Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2)
  • The Lies That Bind (A Bibliophile Mystery, #3)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Bookmarked For Death (Booktown Mystery #2)
Grew up in Brooklyn, New York, back when mastodons (and Edsels) still roamed the earth.

Education: Barnard College

First job: Reporter/photographer at a newspaper so small, we had our photos developed in the local camera shop.

Advertising claim to fame: I created Count Chocula and Frankenberry cereals for General Mills.

TV gets invented, and I get a job as a sitcom writer, turning out scripts for show
More about Laura Levine...
This Pen For Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1) Last Writes (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #2) Shoes To Die For (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #4) Killer Blonde (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #3) The PMS Murder (A Jaine Austen Mystery #5)