Start by marking “Killer Cruise” as Want to Read:
Killer Cruise

Killer Cruise (A Jaine Austen Mystery #8)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,322 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
Wordsmith Jaine Austen's ship has finally come in. Her new teaching job on a fancy cruise line nabs her a free vacation -- and access to a 24-hour buffet! But sooner than you can say bon voyage, Jaine's all-expenses-paid trip to the Mexican Riviera seems destined to be a wreck -- beginning with the discovery of her cat, Prozac in her luggage. The cruise goes from bad to wo ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 311 pages
Published July 1st 2009 by Center Point (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Killer Cruise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Cruise

Debbie
May 20, 2016 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this series is just plain fun. My favorite parts of the books are the e-mail conversations between Janie and her parents. Really that would be my second favorite part. Prozac is by far the star of the series.
Harvee
May 24, 2009 Harvee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
In the middle of reading a long and serious book for a Goodreads book discussion group, I found this light and amusing mystery novel, a real comedy, which I gobbled up in less than a day.

Killer Cruise has only one murder! And there are so many possible culprits on board the cruise ship Festival, ranging from a jilted ex-fiancee, an ice sculptor, and the relatives and close friends of a silver haired lady being swept off her feet by love at first dance.

Our heroine and crime solver, Jaine Austen
Caitlin Copp
Mar 24, 2016 Caitlin Copp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: june-2016
Jaine Austen thinks she hit it big, being asked to teach a course on a cruise ship and in return getting an all expenses paid cruise! Jaine's trip gets off to a bad start when she finds her cat Prozac has stowed away in her bag and even worse when the steward Samoa finds out and blackmails her into editing his 900 page manuscript "Do Not Distub." Jaine tries to make the best of it but as a cruise ship "celebrity" she is required to sit with one of the high rollers, a 70 something woman named Emi ...more
Ellie
Killer Cruise by Laura Levine is #8 in her Jaine-with-an-i Austen mystery series. It's generally bad news when a series starts going on location but I enjoyed this installment of Jaine's adventures aboard a cruise ship where (using her leverage as copy writer for a toilet company) Jaine teaches a writing class while eating her way through the buffet and crushing on handsome men while investigating the murder of a gigolo.

Nothing of great surprise but I have grown very fond of Jaine, her cat Proza
judy
Mar 18, 2010 judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I confess. I read it because of the cat. I've read other Laura Levine/Jaine Austen mysteries and this one was right in line. Pure froth with some chuckles and an arrogant cat (Prozac). Her books are tolerable because, despite the deliberate silliness, the woman knows her craft. She's written for The Bob Newhart Show, Laverne & Shirley, and a whole bunch of other top rated sit coms. So if you're looking for light, quick and amusing, Levine is good place to go.
Sallee
Oct 16, 2015 Sallee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book was a very quick read and while I found it interesting enough to keep reading it, it is not among the better ones the author has written for this series. I found the main character annoying at times especially when talking about her diet or lack there of.
Jinianne Gorg
Sep 17, 2016 Jinianne Gorg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun easy to read mystery with a great twist. Prozac definitely rules, as cats often do.
Lisa MacMullen
Mar 03, 2017 Lisa MacMullen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is laugh-out-loud funny. I'm working my way through all of the Jaine Austen series and enjoying every one. This cozy mystery series is always enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to reading the entire series. The author is one funny lady!
Jane Night
Sep 01, 2015 Jane Night rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read over half the books in this series (though I admit I read them out of order) and in many ways this book ranks near the top as one of the best in the series.

If you have never read a Jaine Austen mystery before let me describe it as humorous stories about a woman who in many ways is an “every woman”. She knows she is overweight but she struggles with food addiction. She is divorced and finding Prince Charmings are few and far between. To top it all off she has funny and a bit wacky bes
Carla Handley
Jan 07, 2017 Carla Handley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too cutesy for my taste. I didn't finish it.
Annette
Jun 16, 2015 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jaine has the opportunity of a life time. She gets a free cruise for a few hours of lecturing on writing. What's not to like?

Well, first her stateroom is about the size of a closet and it is on the lowest deck – no windows. Then there is the fact her cat, Prozac has stowed away and Jaine must keep the cat hidden in order to prevent a long session in quarantine. The quarantine would be for the cat not Jaine.

As always in this series, the secondary characters are fun and funny and add a great deal
Cheryl
Sep 14, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent addition to this series. I love Prozac and I'm glad he tagged along with Jaine on her cruise. I also love her parents and their hilarious e-mails.

Please keep these LOL cozies coming!
Thomas Bruso
Jun 14, 2016 Thomas Bruso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freelance writer Jaine Austen, no relation to the romance writer, is invited on a cruise ship to teach writing in Laura Levine’s raucously fun screwball mystery, “Killer Cruise.”

Before Jaine leaves land and boards the boat, the nightmares begin when she discovers that her cat, Prozac, has somehow stowed himself inside Jaine’s carry-on bag. Trying to keep the feline quiet while on board tests Jaine’s patience.

That evening, while dining on the deck, Jaine befriends countless travelers, some of who
Lauren
Nov 19, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012, ebooks
They are delightful mysteries but 7/8 books into the series and countless dozens of reads into the genre, I must admit I am less than thrilled. The tropes of the mystery genre I have discovered so far:
1. Unlucky in love
2. Weight problems
3. Incompetant at profession
4. The everywoman, ad nauseum
5. A convenient crutch, in this case, cat.
The list goes on.

What about mysteries where the hero/heroine earns my respect by actually excelling at his/her job, whose romantic status is utterly irrelevant to
Michelle
May 02, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jaine Austen hits the high seas, teaching a class on writing one's memoirs, in the latest mystery by Laura Levine. Of course, there is murder mystery to be solved and with the usual charming list of suspects, I honestly never expected the killer to be who it was. Laura Levine's books are a quick read, usually done within a day if I can read uninterrupted, but always a joy to read. The darling kitty that rules the roost makes the cruise, stowing away in the luggage, and setting off a whole new se ...more
Karen GoatKeeper
The mystery part of the book is fine. Prozac the cat is fine. Jaine Austen, the amateur detective, bothered me.
Jaine gets a job teaching a 'how to write a memoir' class on a cruise. She denigrates her own writing. She is not prepared to teach the class. [I am a writer and was a teacher so this was annoying.] Although the class, such as it is, would be a teacher's nightmare.
Prozac stows himself away in a believable manner. He does provide the basis for setting up a number of things important to t
bella
Jan 28, 2012 bella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Killer Cruise is the 8th Jaine Austen mystery by Laura Levine.

This time Jaine is off on a all-expenses paid cruise in exchange for teaching a writing class. All plans to attack the 24 hour buffet and sunbake go awry when a dancer is murdered and its Jaine to find the killer before they strike again.

I loved this series from the very first book. Jaine is a delight with her sense of humor and love of chocolate. However I found the previous book (Killing Bridezilla) a little flat. Still I was keen t
Luffy
It could easily have been 5 stars, but the murderer's confession took the wind out of the book's sail. I'm so happy to announce that the author has crafted another remarkable book. She has been able to extract even more entertaining tidbits from her characters. Do read this book, even if it takes more than one leaf out of a more prolific British and well dead author whose name is synonymous with flair and invention. By changing the stage for her story, Laura Levine has kept my interest alive in ...more
Pam Masters
Finished this one today. Found it hard to concentrate on it as I was reading it at work on lunch breaks (I swear it has to be the worst place to try and read anything!).

Ok, now on to my thoughts on the book. Jaine is a funny main character. She's not the super self confident woman one finds in lots of books. She's flawed, and she knows it. That's great, it helps me relate to her a lot better. This is the second novel I have read with Jaine Austen as the main character. And like the first one I
Up-in
Jan 15, 2013 Up-in rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 8th book in the Jaine Austen series by Laura Levine. This was another funny cozy mystery that had me laughing at the antics of Jaine and her parents. In this book, Jaine agrees to be the guest lecturer on a cruise ship. Her parents come to her apartment to watch her cat, Prozac, while she’s gone. However, Prozac sneaks into her luggage and goes along for the cruise. The things Jaine must do to keep at cat hidden on the ship are funny. She agrees to edit and type one of the other empl ...more
Erin L
Sep 23, 2011 Erin L rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-pi, cozy-writer
I'll start out with the obvious - these books aren't exactly literature. They are delightful little bits of fluff that, defying all reason, I happen to enjoy.

Yes, I know that the stories are improbable.

I know that Jaine is a wimp and shows no signs of changing.

I know that the situations are ridiculous.

And I don't care. I should, I should really dislike these books. They're all the same with a slightly different location and slightly different characters. But I can't find it in me to hate them.

It
Paula
Jun 24, 2009 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are such fun and witty reads. And I never guess who dunnit either!

This time Jaine wins a free cruise because she is going to give lectures on writing. She is sent to the lower decks because she is considered an employee. Prozac stowes away in Jaine's trunk and it is too late to return her so she hides her in her room.

Jaine's tablemates are a family with a rich aunt who is being taken by some in the group. When Aunt Emily is smitten with a male escort on the cruise, some of the family are
Susan
Jaine Austen is hired to teach a class on a cruise ship bound for Mexico. Anticipating a peaceful vacation, she finds that her cat has stowed away in her luggage, and she must bribe her cabin steward to keep the animal concealed. Then she finds herself involved with Emily, a wealthy, elderly woman who seems to be falling for one of the ship's gentleman escorts, to the dismay of her family--and of the escort's fiancee, a cabaret singer. When someone is killed, Jaine is sure that the ship's securi ...more
Sarah (Mood Reader)
Jun 18, 2009 Sarah (Mood Reader) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
Recommended to Sarah (Mood Reader) by: Sheryl
I read this book for a book club task. The task was called "Find A Gem" and you had to find a book with less than 50 ratings and read it. I found this book due to one of my friend's bookshelves and fell in love with it. From beginning to end it had me on my feet trying to figure out who the killer was. I still have some questions about this book and why some things turned out the way they did. However I really did find a gem and I am thankful for it. I will probably more than likely read more of ...more
Glen
May 02, 2016 Glen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozies
This is the eighth entry in the Jaine Austen series.

Jaine gets a job teaching a writing class on a cruise ship, a gig she is sure will be fun. Her cat, Prozac, stows away. Her parents think her gay neighbor Lance is her fiancee, and a jerk, in this case, a British gigolo, is murdered, and of course, one of her only friends on board is the chief suspect.

Jaine pokes around, gets blackmailed into editing and typing a horrible adventure novel by the ship's steward, finds romance, and solves the mys
Carole
Oct 01, 2014 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books-read
Jaine Austen, technical writer, gets a free cruise in exchange for teaching a course in learning how to write an autobiography. She starts off being off balance when she learns that her cat has stowed away, so she spends the whole cruise trying, sometimes unsuccessfully, to hide her cat since she didn't want her cat to spend the whole trip in quarantine. The people who find out, all try a little blackmail. Jaine also gets involved in trying to solve a murder and almost getting killed herself.
May
May 15, 2010 May rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, mystery
Despite not really feeling into this one, it turned out to be rather amusing. I think I just need to NOT pick up another in this series for a good long while. The same-ness of Jaine (chubby, overeating, no self control, very low self-confidence) is grating at this point.

There is the trademark humor and the story whips right along - I'd say it's 3 1/2 stars. Solid, but not memorable enough to be considered great.
Michele
Jan 04, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff
I have read many in this series. If you are looking for something meaninful, insightful or intellectually stimulating, pass on this. If you are looking to be entertained, have a fun read and still be able to play a hand of Uno with the kids and not lose the plot, this is for you. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to more of the hilarious adventures of Jaine Austen...but more to the point, I can't wait to see what her cat, Prozac, will do to her next!!!
Nadine
Nov 02, 2013 Nadine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, funny, funny!! Love these books. Jaine is my kinda girl. The trouble she seems to get in and the decisions she makes are hilarious , and I just love her Dad. The only thing I was a little sad about was that her BFF Lance was not in it as much as I would've liked. Imagine....Lance and Jaine on a ship together, and the mishaps , arguments, and trouble they could have gotten into. Still loved the book and looking forward to the others. Happy Reading:)
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2009
Jaine has earned herself a free vacation by agreeing to teach memoire writing aboard a cruise ship. But things go from bad (her cat stows away) to worse when someone is murdered on board and Jaine's new friend is accused of the crime. Absolutely hilarious as always with a decent mystery as well.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
SPOILER: Scuba diving 2 13 Feb 24, 2012 06:48AM
  • An Uplifting Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #6)
  • Heartache Motel: Three Interconnected Mystery Novellas
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
  • Final Exam (A Murder 101 Mystery, #4)
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • Killer Knots (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #9)
  • Small Town Spin (A Headlines in High Heels Mystery, #3)
  • Huckleberry Finished (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #2)
  • An Anne Perry Christmas: A Christmas Journey / A Christmas Visitor (Christmas Stories, #1-2)
  • Evil in Carnations (A Flower Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Dating is Murder
  • Hijack in Abstract (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #3)
  • Hostile Makeover (Crime of Fashion, #3)
Grew up in Brooklyn, New York, back when mastodons (and Edsels) still roamed the earth.

Education: Barnard College

First job: Reporter/photographer at a newspaper so small, we had our photos developed in the local camera shop.

Advertising claim to fame: I created Count Chocula and Frankenberry cereals for General Mills.

TV gets invented, and I get a job as a sitcom writer, turning out scripts for show
More about Laura Levine...

A Jaine Austen Mystery (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • This Pen for Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1)
  • Last Writes (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Blonde (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #3)
  • Shoes To Die For (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #4)
  • The PMS Murder (A Jaine Austen Mystery #5)
  • Death by Pantyhose (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #6)
  • Killing Bridezilla (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #7)
  • Death of a Trophy Wife (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #9)
  • Pampered to Death (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #10)
  • Death of a Neighborhood Witch (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #11)