Start by marking “The Goon: My Murderous Childhood and Other Grievous Yarns” as Want to Read:
The Goon: My Murderous Childhood and Other Grievous Yarns

The Goon: My Murderous Childhood and Other Grievous Yarns (The Goon TPB #2)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  1,220 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The Goon's first Dark Horse adventures are back in a startling new edition, with a gorgeous new cover by Eric Powell and redesigned to match the high-class look of the recent Goon Year paperbacks!
Goon and Franky have been best friends ever since they was tykes. Find out how the two little ankle biters became best pals, and how they muscled their way into the rackets of bi
Published October 26th 2010 by Dark Horse Comics (first published May 18th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Goon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goon

The Flooze
As with the first installment, my favorite panels are the sepia-toned descriptions of the past. The artwork for the covers is also fabulously done, with a hazy wash that belies the context: monster killing and zombie smashing.

I appreciated getting a glimpse into the Goon's past, learning how he became an enforcer and how he established himself as a figure to be both feared and respected. He's not exactly what I thought he'd be, as highlighted by his initial meeting with Franky. As much as the Go
Bryce Wilson
This is still the best bunch of crazy you can buy.

Gayle Francis Moffet
Of all the, "Oh, I'll give it a shot finds," I've picked up from the library, I think The Goon is the best discovery I've made. It's a hard-boiled pulp book tinged with horror with a generous helping of well-timed humor, and this trade never failed to make me laugh. A good amount of the humor comes from the fact that no one is surprised when weird things happen in the city because the city is just that weird. It's refreshing to see a book where everyone is genre savvy enough to not act surprised ...more
Tyler Hill
While I thought this was a marked improvement from volume 1, I still couldn't shake the feeling that I wasn't enjoying this series as much as I wanted to be enjoying it. With zombies, exploding apes, an odd-ball take on the earth 20th century and of course the Goon himself, there's a lot to like here. Still, the whole thing occasionally feels a little uneven at time. That said, when it finds its stride, it's great fun.
Gabriel Wallis
I really enjoy reading The Goon. There were a lot of simple adventures in "The Goon: My Murderous Childhood and Other Grievous Yarns" (volume 2). The Goon and his sidekick Franky take on Houstus Grave and his deformed monster children, King Hobo and his cannibals, Dr. Hieronymous Alloy and his giant robot Bruno, the Sea Hag, the Abominable Boggy, and the Brothers Mud, along with all the zombies, monsters, etc. It was a great read, and I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series. Love t ...more
Andy 117
Hillbillies, carny folk, mobsters and monsters. This is Eric Powell's The Goon, an EC Comics throwback to the good ol' days as your racist old grandpappa defines it - where the drinks made ya blind, the good guys punched harder than they thunked, and the only comforts worth havin' were Southern comforts.

Fast-talkin', high-octane action/comedy abounds in Volume 2, which collects the first four issues of The Goon's Dark Horse series - still ongoing to this day! Starring The Goon, a top-heavy Hulk
Sam Quixote
The world of the Goon is a simple one. Goon is a racketeer and thug but he is the hero. He punches zombies, assorted monsters, mad scientists, voodoo priests, and just about anything the creator of the series, writer and artist extraordinaire Eric Powell, can think up to throw at him.

This book is a good intro to how the Goon came to be, from his early days before the criminal world beckoned, to how he got started in organised crime, to how he came to meet his long-time partner Franky.

The tone
Suzydumeur
Je relis avec un grand plaisir les tomes du comics The goon. Dans celui-ci nous faisons la connaissance du Busard, mon personnage préféré à ce jour (je suis loin d'avoir lu tous les Goon !). Nous assistons également à la rencontre du Goon et de Franky, acolyte/allié/ami du quotidien ; rencontre qui s'est faite pendant l'enfance des personnages.

Les dialogues sont impertinents, les personnages truculents, c'est très drôle, bien barré, tragique aussi ! Dans ce tome il y a un épisode qui se compose
Julia
I love this book very much. I like the adventures they have and i really love the back story of the goon's childhood and how he met franky. This was a very good story and i really want to read more books of the goon. I strongly recommend to read this book :)
Russell Olson
I love Powell's art and am super envious of his cadre of characters, but I always finish a Goon book wanting just a little more plot. The tone is perfect, but the stories always resolve themselves just before what seems to be a climax. I think one day, Powell will create the perfect comic and I can't wait to read it.
Christian
Second volume and The Goon's already hit it's stride. The supporting cast gets rounded off with a well-meaning mad scientist and a gambling spider, and we find out more about The Goon's unhappy childhood. The art is gorgeous, as usual.
Ariane
How Franky met the Goon, a misguided retro-scientist with big-ass robots, and Fishy Pete's mom. Still great stuff! I hope Mirna shows up more often.
The_Mad_Swede
This volume collects The Goon (the ongoing series, now ended) #1–4 and delivers another set of stories from Eric Powell's hand (with the exception of "The Abominable Boggy" where Kyle Holtz is responsible for the artwork). The reader is offered assorted stories, including some fun glimpses into the Goon's past.

As I noted in my review of volume one, there is a strong Eisner influence on Powell's art and storytelling, and well executed at that. Other than that, it is more 1930s, gangsters and mons
Reed
Humorous, unique, well-drawn, and just plain fun. I'd heard about The Goon for years, but never gave it a look. Now I am glad that I did.

The Goon is a huge, scar-faced tragic anti-hero who takes revenge on the mobster who kills the only person he loves, then takes his place and begins a life of crime. Combined with a odd take on a supernatural fantasy world, filled with hobos, ghouls, zombies, Lovecraftian critters, and accompanied by his hilarious foul-mouthed companion Franky, the Goon is a br
Sean
Oct 09, 2008 Sean rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Looney Tunes, gangsters and zombies
Recommended to Sean by: My geek-store guy.
Shelves: graphic_novels, 2008
In this trade paperback, some of the Goon's past is revealed (such as why he fears intimate contact with the opposite sex), he fights zombies, bog lurks and fish people, and Frankie's origin story is told.

The writing is crisp, the storylines sufficiently goofy, and the "add-ins" - one page ads in a old-timey picture book style about such things as your very own "Goon kit" are oftentimes laugh out loud funny. This comics series is really growing on me.

Probably too violent for children though, alt
Jani
I've heard so much good about Goon so decided to give it a go. I bought two cheapest collections I saw and they happened to be this Vol.2 and Goon Noir. Now that I have read this second collection of Goon stories I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. It does have that Hellboyish quality where hero fights mythical things in very casual way ... atleast treats them like any other dirtback. But what it lacks is the depth to the franchise that Hellboy has. This is definitely not a bad comic bu ...more
Lakatos István
Remélem, a többi kötetbe nem gusztustalankodik bele Kyle Hotz az ocsmány rajzaival.
Kristopher Kelly
This comic actually made me laugh out loud. I'm reading a David Sedaris book right now, and it hasn't elicited a single audible chuckle. This comic is probably the funniest I've ever read, and it's right up my morbid alley, as well. It reads like the twisted Saturday morning cartoon I wished I'd had instead of Scooby-Doo. Docked this collection a star for some less-than-stellar jokes, but overall, I'm really enjoying this series a lot. I love the fake advertisements in between the stories and th ...more
John Wiswell
A friend of mine dropped a collection of The Goon books in my lap this month. These early chapters show anarchic promise but aren't terribly well formed. You can only read so many tragic flashbacks and watch the brawny protagonist get tied up so many times. It's especially cloying when these things make you depart the present Zombies Vs. Mobsters plot and the bar featuring a hilarious sidekick and a reluctant werewolf. You get the desire for Powell to streamline his story and stick to the good p ...more
John
I have always been curious about this comic, so I decided to pick up this volume since it contained many "origin" elements of the main character. I'm happy to say this book did not disappoint. It's a blend of many elements I love: gangsters, monsters, 1930s and 40s nostalgia, cornball humor, and art reminiscent of Will Eisner and Walt Kelly. If I had one complaint, its that while I like the goofy story and humor, it could be even goofier. Perhaps this happens later in the series, but this volume ...more
Shane
Oct 01, 2011 Shane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
The Goon is awesome. It's so simple, but so original, and so retro-cool. Everything just works. You never think, "Well that doesn't really fit in". The extras are great too and really enhance the "era" feel of the stories. For some reason all my local libraries were missing this one and then in a wonderful moment of serendipity I found it at Borders going out of business sale for a reasonable price. So now I can get the rest of the series from the library (only because I'm so anal I can't even r ...more
Petr Čapek
Powell opět nezklamal a po skvělém prvním dílu nám předkládá možná ještě o chloupek lepší druhý díl. Comics Centrum si opět zaslouží pochvalu za celkové zpracování a překlad, který ke Goonovi naprosto sedí, navíc dodalo i vysvětlivky k narážkám, aby byl čtenář v celkovém obrazu, o co že se jedná. Goon patří dle mého názoru k tomu nejlepšímu co na komiksovém poli můžeme najít a byla by škoda aby tato skvělá série zůstala nepovšimnuta.

J
I enjoy things I can count on. Eric Powell is one of those things. So is his comic, The Goon. Volume 2 is more of the same awesome, twisted, slapstick madness that made me love this book from the get go. In it, we find out a little about Goon's origin, where he came from and why he is who and what he is. The story is fun and entertaining and always, always, always we get the top notch art and writing of Mr. Powell. This is like a grown up, effed up Looney Tunes. I can't wait to read more.
Jan
I enjoyed this quite a bit more than the first volume, in part because it provides the key characters with a little history, telling us where they came from and which events made them what they are. Closely related to this increased complexity, the narratives now felt more coherent, the humor less obvious and slightly more subtle.
Federiken Masters
Aaaah, creo que los "secret origins" son mi debilidad en comics yanquis, sean de superhéroes, sean de misterio, o sean una burrada tras otra como este Bruto. Y acá se termina sabiendo lo que ya era bastante evidente, pero la manera en la que lo cuentan, cómo guion y dibujo se vuelven interdependientes hasta su máxima expresión, consiguen lo que, para mí, es el tomo mejor logrado por el momento. A ver cuándo me sigo embruteciendo, que hasta acá la pasé muy bien...
Tom
Simply put, I really enjoy the sense of humor that Eric Powell has, and the drawing is appealing too. Somehow this mash-up of gangster thug versus zombie-raising necromancer priest works. Also, the books have these wonderful adds that really harken back to old comics you find here and there.
Rich Rosell
Sure, my wife arched her eyebrows when she saw The Goon Vol. 2 in my "to read" pile. I can't help that she doesn't get the groovy appeal of Eric Powell's beautiful noir cool artwork in this collection of the absurd zombie-battling epic featuring hulking killing machine The Goon and his pie-eyed partner Franky.

It's big dumb fun, and I like it.
Lori
And Powell makes a second great entry in the Goon, volume 2. Humor, horror, and mayhem fill the pages. This time the reader is introduced to the Goon as a child and how he hooked up with Franky as his best friend and right-hand man. It also explores how the Goon came to control the city's underworld.
Porkpie
Nice homage to Will Eisner's work, but kind of juvenile and silly. If you like slam-bam, zombie-filled, hit 'em and sort it later kind of comics, this one's for you. The writing is fun and silly, but overall just more greasy kid stuff, but lovingly rendered and enjoyable for the most part.
J.
This volume continues to be bizarre. We get some backstory about Goon's childhood, and how he met up with Franky. It is so hilarious, but in such a eerily violent and non-P.C. way, that it amazes me that this book exists at all. Anyway, a heck of a lot of fun.
  • The Goon: Noir
  • Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 1: In the Service of Angels (Witchfinder, #1)
  • Conan, Vol. 4: The Halls of the Dead and Other Stories
  • Axe Cop: Volume One
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 10: Decayed
  • The Boys, Volume 7: The Innocents
Eric Powell has contributed work on such comics titles as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Hellboy: Weird Tales, Star Wars Tales, The Incredible Hulk, Black Panther, The Avengers, The Hood, MAD Magazine, Devil Dinosaur, Swamp Thing, the Avengers, She-Hulk, the Simpsons, Arkham Asylum: Living Hell and Action Comics.

Although eking out a meager living in the comics field since 1995, Eric didn't find
More about Eric Powell...
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 3 The Goon, Volume 1: Nothin' but Misery Rough Stuff (The Goon TPB #0) The Goon, Volume 3: Heaps of Ruination The Goon, Volume 6: Chinatown and The Mystery of Mr. Wicker