Start by marking “Between the Lines: Not-So-Tall Tales from Ray "Scampy" Scapinello's Four Decades in the NHL” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
An insider's look at life on the linesTo hockey fans, Ray Scapinello's name and face are as recognizable as any star player or coach in the NHL. Scampy, as he is affectionately known has had a long and storied career as a linesman in the NHL. His 5-foot-7 frame and 163 pounds belie his ability and endurance on the ice. When Ray retired in 2004 after 33 years in the NHL, he ...more
Published January 28th 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published August 16th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Between the Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between the Lines

Nick
Sep 01, 2012 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides some great history from an officials point of view. My favorite part of officiating are the stories. Some good, some bad. This book is packed with anecdotes from Scampy's long, certain Hall of Fame career. His personality on and off the ice is professional, but still fun. Many important people in hockey have contributed stories to this book. Even if you don't necessarily have a background in officiating, as long as you are a hockey fan, you will enjoy this book. The book also ...more
Otter
Oct 07, 2014 Otter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I really enjoyed it. The book got much better as it went on and I even went back and read some more from the beginning. 3.5* is my rating because there were some parts that made me think I should stop reading. If you're a hockey fan you should read it.
David Kline
Jul 22, 2014 David Kline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoyed Kerry Fraser's book, Scampy's book is equally informative and entertaining. A hockey fan can learn a lot about an on-ice officials life in the NHL. A must read for any hockey fan.
David Horton
Reads like an overly long retirement speech. It's a somewhat rambling, unfocused look back on the life and career of a very nice man who also happens to be a referee in the National Hockey League. The was easy to read but not a compelling page turner. I could have put it down for two or three months and not felt like any momentum was lost when picking it up again. Fans of sports stories might not find enough thrills between these covers to keep their interest but fans of the game - hockey - will ...more
Josh Schroeder
Dec 27, 2012 Josh Schroeder rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hockey fans, referees
In my experience, hockey officials always have great stories to tell about the games they've called. Having called lines at the highest level for as long as he did, Scapinello has a wealth of these stories. Like so many such memoirs, though, the author doesn't make the best use of these stories. As I said about Ron MacLean's "Cornered," I think this contents of this book could have added up to something more. It is a collection of entertaining stories that are assembled in a rambling fashion and ...more
Jason
Feb 05, 2008 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scampy (and maybe Kevin Collins for other reasons) is the only linesman who ever really stood out to me from game to game so when I saw this book I had to read it. Watching on TV he always seemed to be having fun and really love doing the games and reading about him confirms it. Some great anecdotes and behind-the-scenes stories make this a great read for a hockey fan.
Roy
Imean what can you say , its just a book about hockey . It was / is what it is and reading this book is not going to take away the fact that it is a violent ' Game " played by men but orginally for boys . It was great that Ray survived as long as he did and got to retire . Yay for him .
Katherine
A pretty decent book about a remarkable career, and a view of a side of the NHL most people don't normally read about. It did kind of read more like a collection of memories and anecdotes than a real book.
Ray
Really enjoyed Ray's reflection back on a tremendous career. It was a pleasure to have met Ray at Book Expo in Toronto a few years ago where he gave me my autographed copy of this book.
Cornelius
Oct 02, 2008 Cornelius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hockey fans
Recommended to Cornelius by: Joe Pelletier
Shelves: hockey
A lot of fun hockey stories, it was perfect for a flight or any other time you want some light hockey reading.
Aaron
Jun 24, 2010 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport
Lots of good stories about hockey players, officials, and famous games from the Eighties and Nineties.
Dave Schulte
Good stories but I still do and always will hate anyone in a ref jersey
Snorstoper
Mar 02, 2013 Snorstoper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lot of great stories. Very entertaining!
Mark
Mar 31, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hockey Fans
Recommended to Mark by: N/A
Hard work does go NOTICED!
Tim Hale
Tim Hale marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Mark Addison
Mark Addison rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Manuelshift
Manuelshift rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Kandace Mavrick
Kandace Mavrick marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2015
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2015
Rob Trainor
Rob Trainor rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Vince Sarubbi
Vince Sarubbi rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Ashley Carter
Ashley Carter rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2015
Rp
Rp rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2015
PookersMom
PookersMom marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Laura added it
Mar 12, 2015
Keith B.
Keith B. rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Kurt
Kurt rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015