Start by marking “Heart Thief (Celta's Heartmates, #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart Thief (Celta's Heartmates, #2)

Heart Thief (Celta's Heartmates #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,435 ratings  ·  54 reviews
In HeartMate, Robin D. Owens swept us away to the planet Celta, where psychic talents are the key to life—and love. Midwest Book Review predicted that "readers will want Ms Owens to return to Celta for more tales." And the prophesy has come true—with Heart Thief...

Ruis Elder never asked for his unusual trait—the ability to neutralize others' psychic talents. Because of it,
Published June 1st 2003 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Heart Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart Thief

Kathleen
Fun paranormal or sci-fi romantic suspense. I liked it! I sympathized with and admired the H/ h and enjoyed the plot, even though it was implausible at times.

Setting: This series is set on a distant planet called Celta, settled by voyagers from Earth about four centuries ago. Over the centuries everyone on the planet developed a specialized "flair" or magical ability -- everyone except hero Ruiz, who lives inside a _______. Some interesting scenes in there.

Plot: The plot involved an evil uncle,
Cindy
Rereading...
Heart Thief is book 2 of the Celtan Heart Mates series. All the books are wonderful but if I had to pick a favorite, this one would probably be it. The hero and heroine are outstanding. Ruis is a fugitive and more than a bit of a rogue. His society scorns him because he is a Null, not only is he unable to use the Flair their society runs on - but he makes it impossible for others to use theirs. He is a thief who steals to live and indulge his hobby of fixing the old earth devices no
Lena Diablo
81%

This was a surprisingly great book, although not one that you can read in one sitting if you're a lazy, distractable reader like me.
In my mind the length of a romance novel should be (out of ten)

romantic tension x drama factor x complexity of plot = pages

for this one i'd say 6x5x6 = 180 pages, much closer to a novella then the full novel it is. Really this is just me nitpicking though, this is a fantastic book, while the first book was more to my style and taste I think this one had more dep
Kandi
This is still my favorite Celta book. The setting is imaginative, and the various types of "flair" (psychic power) are handled in a way that feels science rather than magic. After reading so many paranormal romance titles, some pretty awful admittedly, this was fun. I appreciated the discovery made by the main character. The message being that there is a place and reason for everyone, for all types of talents. The romance aspect was almost secondary, but full of resonance for me. Some people jus ...more
Holly
Re-read 10/27/11: This is another favorite of the series. Ruis's gloomy personality bothered me more this time around. I loved Samba just as much as always. The ship and residences played larger roles and were much appreciated secondary characters.

_____________

I wasn't sure about this book when I first started it. Ruis Elder is a Null, which means he has no magical Flair. I wasn't sure how that would work in this world, but Owens pulled it off brilliantly.

I really loved both Ruis and Ailim. The
Paraphrodite

The hero Ruis is a Null, someone who can negate all the pyschic spells around him in a world that values such powers. Abused and usurped by his wicked uncle as the Head of his house since the death of his parents, his only solace in the repairing of old Earth machineries that everyone else thinks are worthless.

I liked the theme about valuing the past and what it can teach us. I actually enjoyed this second book of the Celta series even more than the first.
Robin
May 17, 2008 Robin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Some people still like this story the very best.
Darcy
In the last book I didn't care Ruis, I thought he was shady, so when I picked up this book I wasn't even sure that I would finish it. But quickly I was sucked in. Learning more about Ruis's story things started to make more sense. In his whole life Ruis has been treated like trash and manipulated because he is a null in a society where people with psi and magic ability are the norm.

By a chance of fate he runs across Ailim at a time when his life in on the line. In this encounter Ailim treats hi
Tpring
I liked this better than number one of the series which I didn't finish because it dragged too much in the first half. It's an enticing society even though the combination of magic, old world class system and technology is still a bit underexplained. And I fear this book would have been the one to accomplish that best because of its magic-less hero who has a knack for forgotten machinery.

Loved the sentient mansions, found the talking familiars not nearly as annoying as they could have
Crystal Lee
Aurian Booklover
Ruis Elder is a Null, someone who not only has no Flair (= magic) of his own, he also negates Flair used around him. Both in negating spells, as in making other people unable to use their Flair. People are afraid of him and his anti-powers, and he has been an outcast ever since his “gift” was discovered. His uncle Bucus T’Elder has been trying to kill him for years, and now as Captain of the Council, he is more powerful than ever. Ruis is filled with anger, always hiding and moving. His only sol ...more
Teetee
This is another book i think i would have enjoyed had i read it when i frst came out because it has a dated feel to me, indicative of the writing style of the time. I've read a lot of well written pararomance, with lots of excitement and edge. This almost felt like a regency novel, and to be honest, bored me. I didnt care for the first book but was excited about the premise for this one. Alas, it didnt deliver-i wanted a sort of clash of two different worlds, a true 'forbidden' romance. The MC w ...more
StrangeBedfellows
I almost couldn't finish this one. Let me say, I did not read the first book of this series, and it's possible that I would have enjoyed the second book more if I had. Honestly, though, I doubt it. The writing style didn't work well for me -- that combination of dramatic Celtic antiquity and futuristic scifi was very disjointed and jarring. I couldn't "fall" into the story, if you understand what I mean. Most problematic, though, is that I found Ruis completely unlikable. He was childish, irrita ...more
Elke
Dec 21, 2014 Elke rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance
Recommended to Elke by: Amy Horton
Shelves: robin-d-owens
Heart / Celta series is a must if you like Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance, Scyfy, Magic, and more
this is a story of the next world of Earth, Kinda. It is where I want to go, live, love, laugh and finish my life cycle. I could not have even start to imagine the wonders of this planet. I am in aww of the brain that put this story to paper.
MUST READ!!!
'Heart Thief' is wonderful book...much better than the first Celta's HeartMates book. I read the last page of Ruis and Ailim's story with a content sigh of pleasure.

Ruis is a thief who had his family inheritance stolen by his uncle. He struggles with anger and feels he has nothing to contribute to society until he discovers the talent for repairing and using old Celta technology.

Ailim is a fair and valued judge in the Celta law system and head of her family. She recognizes the injustice against
Donna Campbell
I am becoming pretty disillusioned with the HeartMate/Bond problems so this was perfect--I read quite a few out of order -- background story is great. And attraction between Ruis and Ailim was exceptional--I am only dissatisfied with the comeuppance of the scheming and nasty relatives. A minimal complaint.
Haley
I actually liked this book a lot. I liked the fact that our two main characters didn't fight fight fight against their attraction. They let it happen and flowed with it. A wonderful vacation read-which is exactly what it was!
Crystal
I'm starting to see a pattern here - H identifies h as "the one", pursues her rigorously, then, 50 pages from the end, they break up, only to walk around like zombies (because they're like, soul mates or whatever) until the last chapter where they get back together, the birds begin to sing and flowers bloom. Gaaah. I should have read the first book I actually acquired of this series so I'd know not to bother hunting the rest of them.

The first book, someone had wiped out the H's family. This one,
Linda
Wonderful series, excellent example.

Robin Owens continues her Celta series, this time with the story of Ruis Elder. Ruis is a Null, has no psychic powers and can negate any psychic effects in his immediate vicinity. He thinks he's condemned to a life on the fringes of society. But then he meets Ailim D'Silverfur who believes he can live a full life, in the sunlight. Ailim risks all, her career, her livelihood, her family, in a bid to help him escape the terrors of his past.
Stephanie
I read the first book in this series a long time ago. Well, four years at least. Maybe five. I was still in high school and even though I enjoyed it then, I feel that I appreciate this series more now than I did then. The mixture of science fiction and Celtic themed culture is awesome in a way that you don't appreciate until you are older and know at least a little bit about the Celts.
I usually enjoy Owens' work and that hasn't changed. I did notice a few things that make me think she's not one
Yvonne
Book 2 of the Series, this is a better story than the first one, the characters are more flashed out and are given histories. Our hero Ruis, appeared briefly in book one and this is his story. HE is a wonderfully rich character and his lady is too. We get involved in their lives as Ruis fights to survive in a world that treats him less than human. I look forwards to book 3 when I have time to fit it in. THe book can be stand alone, but it features characters from previous books and uses some as ...more
Ashley
After the first book, I was a little wary of this one. After all, the last heroine was soooo frusterating. However, I am happy to say that being a side character really suits her! But more importantly, this was a huge improvement. The characters were fresh, the plot was interesting, and the world was expanded. Oh, and I love Holm Holly even more after this one! I would totally be his stalker. I want to read his story (and have his babies). All in all, I'm really glad that I continued this series ...more
pauliree
I must have read this series at least six times now. It is becoming one of my all time favourites, and every time a new book comes out, I end up rereading the rest because the new book brings back all my feelings about the others. I am hanging for the newest which is coming out in a few months. I recommend this to anyone who likes the fated mate trope as these do it justice with flair!!
Laurel
I love the Celta's Heartmates series and have to admit that Heart Thief is my absolute favorite. I love both of the main characters, Ruis Elder and Ailim D'Silverfir, and think they are the most well developed, interesting, and touching people Robin has ever written.
This is the fifth or sixth time I've read Heart Thief and it won't be the last.
Nora
This series is a paranormal/magical futuristic alternate planet romance series. The premise is that some people have a special mate meant just for them & they connect psychically. Some of the people have special psychic abilities that help them excel in their society (ie. working with time or creating art).
Linda
Another recent re-read. This is the 2nd in this series and you get to re-visit the characters from the first title, along with the story of the main characters in this book, an outcast "null" (he neutralizes other peopel psychic talents) and a highly sensitive judge.
Hess
I have wanted to read the story of Ruis and Ailim for a while. I like this one but am not sure of the resolution and the nice tidy bow wrap-up. If I were Ruis, I would take the Ship up and nuke Druida.....I really would but then I am a vindictive bitch.
Jenn
When I was getting ready to donate "HeartMate," I realized it was a series. I wasn't all that taken with it, but checked and saw they had the second book at the library. I'm glad I have it a chance, because this book is much better than the first.
Nicole Williams
Took me a while to get into this one I think mostly because I was expecting a Holly focused book. So I took a week read a book from completely different series came back and fell in love with this book. In the end I liked it even more than Heart Mate.
Dana Marton
I loved the unusual hero. The hero of book 1 of this series is very much an alphamale. This hero is not, but he's smart and inventive and resilient, and loves the heroine with a kind of awe that I found touching. I can't wait to read book 3.
  • Ghost Hunter (Harmony #3)
  • The Star King (Star, #1)
  • Rejar (Matrix of Destiny, #2)
  • The Storm (Sons of Destiny, #6)
  • The Dare (Rystani #2)
  • Shielder (Shielder, #1)
  • Gabriel's Ghost (Dock Five Universe, #1)
  • Beyond the Rain (Realms Beyond, #1)

Celta's Heartmates (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Heart Mate (Celta's Heartmates, #1)
  • Heart Duel (Celta's Heartmates, #3)
  • Heart Choice (Celta's Heartmates, #4)
  • Heart Quest (Celta's Heartmates, #5)
  • Heart Dance (Celta's Heartmates, #6)
  • Heart Fate (Celta's Heartmates, #7)
  • Heart Change (Celta's Heartmates, #8)
  • Heart Journey (Celta's Heartmates, #9)
  • Heart Search (Celta's Heartmates, #10)
  • Heart Secret (Celta's Heartmates, #11)
Heart Mate (Celta's Heartmates, #1) Guardian of Honor (The Summoning #1) Heart Duel (Celta's Heartmates, #3) Heart Quest (Celta's Heartmates, #5) Heart Choice (Celta's Heartmates, #4)