Start by marking “Shadow Dancer” as Want to Read:
Shadow Dancer

Shadow Dancer (Wind River Reservation #8)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  412 ratings  ·  32 reviews

With the disappearance of a young man and his old friend Vicky Holden accused of murder, Father John O'Malley must prove his hunch that both events are connected to a dangerous sect leader known as Orlando-who has resurrected the old Shadow Dance religion.

Published August 5th 2003 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Dancer

Barbara
Vicky Holden, an Arapaho who grew up on the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming, recently returned to the region and set up her new law office. After a huge public fight with her abusive ex-husband, Ben Holden, he is shot dead - and Vicky is a suspect. Other troubles are also brewing in the area. A self-proclaimed prophet named Orlando has revived the Shadow Dance religion, meant to rid the region of white people and restore the land to the Indians. Moreover, a young computer expert named Dean Lit ...more
Diana
When Vicki Holden's exhusband is shot, who should the best suspect be? Why Vicki, of course. Her ex was only alcoholic, abusive, and a womanizer, and yet she is blamed by everyone (including her children) for "breaking up the family." Book was written in 2002, so I hope by now society could look at the end of relationships as being the woman's fault because she left the relationship.
The governing body of the Jesusit priests meeting to decide the fate of the chronically money poor Arapaho Miss
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Father O'Malley has his problems and his doubts. He worries constanly about his being a recovering alcoholic (after all, you never really get cured) and agonises about the future of the Mission... and he's always thinking about Vicky. Vicky Holden has her issues as well. Her marriage is broken but her husband will not accept the fact, and professionally she is constantly fighting to help her people against big business or individuals chasing their own agenda. Margaret Coel is good at creating th ...more
Brian
The first thing to know is that this book is one in a long series focusing on Father John O'Malley and Vicky Holden. I did not know this and picked this one up at random. As such, I probably couldn't appreciate all the past character build-up, though the book did a good job of filling me in on the important stuff (the pair's relationship, Vicky's relationship with her ex-husband, Vicky having to shoot a gun).

One complaint is that I figured out the end goal of the antagonist before the protagonis
Nikki
I recently realized that I was several books behind in keeping up with this series set on the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming. THE SHADOW DANCER had been languishing on my TBR shelf since about 2003! I don't know why I put it off so long since it was certainly a good book. Vicky Holden, Arapaho attorney, has returned to Lander after deciding that the big city law firm life wasn't for her. Her abusive ex-husband Ben is still unwilling to realize that their family life together is over. Meanwhil ...more
Lora
I'm nearly caught up in this series, yahoo!

So, Vicki's back on the reservation, Father John is once again fighting to save the mission from the Church's businessmen. But the crux of the case revolves around the presence of a cult-like reorganization of the Shadow Dancers, founded after the Plains Indians were nearly completely exterminated at the end of the 19th century. The reorg was begun by a local rancher and is fueled by apocalyptic vision and Valium, but it has begun to attract people who
Arlene
The blurb on the front says "She's a master." Tony Hillerman. I definitely agree. The difference between their stories is that Margaret Coel's characters are an Arapahoe lawyer and a Jesuit priest and Tony Hillerman's are Navaho cops. The location of this mystery is the Wind River Reservation and Lander, Wyoming. I lived in Wyoming for 6 years and I love having it as a setting for a mystery.
Vicky is asked to have dinner with her ex but they end up having an argument in the restaurant, then the
Ashley
I was really disappointed. For a New York Times Best Selling Author, I was not impressed. I found several typos throughout the book, and I found that the language was over-simplified for many of the characters (are villains usually this inarticulate?)

I was also disappointed in the attitude towards spousal abuse. How is it that Vicky's ex-husband put her through hell, but because other people respected him, he was still a good man? And how could she just forgive him, and still LOVE him despite hi
Lynne
These books are similar to Tony Hillerman's. I like his better, that's why I give it 3 stars. This series has a Catholic Father and a Native American lawyer. There is a bit of an attraction between them that I don't like. The mystery is good. I have read others in this series.
Stephanie Tanton
Another great mystery set in The west. The Arapahos reenact the Shadow Dance from ancient times hoping to reach an Indian paradise. Father John struggling to keep his mission open mounts a search to find the killers of two friends. A quick read that holds your interest.
Kelly Stubbart
I like how the author portrays the possible alliances between people with different belief systems. I would have liked to read more factual info about the ghost dance, but that's a whole book in itself!
Nancy
A young man disappears and Fr. John is asked to find him. Then, Vicky Holden's ex-husband is murdered. Vicky becomes the prime suspect in his death. The rez is beset by a young man seeking to revive the Ghost Dance and claiming he is the heir to Ghost Dance prophet Wovoka. It falls to Fr. John and Vicky Holden to find the link between Ben Holden's death and Dean Little Horse's disappearance. Missing dynamite, and the hope for a new world washing away the troubles of this one, are part of this en ...more
Barbara
Would give it a 3 q1/2 if I could.
Lane
another good story
David Bareiss
Protagonist's family relationships not believable.
Ron
Another well crafted story. Interesting plot, but the issues in all of the book series are the same.
The FBI & the serriff can't solve the crime and don't want Father John or Vicky to get in the way. Of course they do get involved and solve the crime in the last chapter.
The Church is always broke and continues to be a problem between the two loves.
So after reading 8 books in the series, I am not to sure that I am up to reading the next 8.
Claire
Great story, well told.
Fredrick Danysh
Father John O'Malley has to deal with the possibility of the mission on the reservation closing with and with an assistant priest who is a spy for the bishop. Arapaho lawyer Vicky Holden returns to the reservation and her ex-husband is murdered after a public argument. The ghost dnce is revised and Dean Little Horse comes up missing. Vicky is accused of the murder of her ex by the family clan.
George
#8 in the Wyoming Arapaho Wind River Indian Reservation mystery series featuring Vicky Holden and Father John O'Malley. This one has the usual murder mixed in with a revival of the Indian Ghost Dance, missing person, and the possible closing of O'Malley's mission. As usual, Vicky and John are in the middle of things and solve the mystery before the local Indian police and FBI.
Mary Ellen
This is the first book of Margaret Coel's I have ever read. A fair-to-middling quality mystery with a by-the-numbers "thriller"-type ending. It earned its third star for me because of the interesting portrayal of life on the Wind River Arapaho Reservation. Although it does not rise to the level of Hillerman's Leaphorn/Chee mysteries, IMO, it was a fun read.
Jan
Mom and I listened to the book as we drove to Wyoming and all around Pinedale and Kemmerer. It is always great to have a mystery for a road trip and especially one that takes place where you are traveling.

Father O'Malley and Vicky Holden Wind River Mystery series are a fun read and the narrator was quite good.

Cults, murder, issues with the mission....
Betty410
This was a wild chase to save the res against a cult with no true appreciation of life. Vicki and John both escape by seconds. Vicki's family situation is on the mend. It is surprising that Coel can keep dreaming up more situations involving this pair. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
Diane
Audiobook (iPhone download)

Standard mystery-perfectly okay but not great. The setting on an Arapahoe reservation was very interesting but the narrator ruined much of the book with the squeaky way she did the Native American voices. The rest of her narration was fine though.
Steven Howes
Another excellent book of the Wind River Mystery series. Readers will learn facts about the Indian "messiah" Wovoka and the Ghost Dance religion which was one of the underlying causes of the Wounded Knee massacre in December of 1890.
JanieB
Very fast-paced, and so well-written. As someone who previously had no idea of what life an be like on Aboriginal reservations, this was an insight for me!
This would make a tremendous movie, with a very unexpected closure.
Linconter
Religious extremists plan to set off a doomsday scenario and wipe out the res, and Vicky's ex-husband is killed when he finds some evidence of their plan, leaving Vicky and Father John to save the day yet again!
June
Nov 20, 2008 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery and Hillerman fans
Recommended to June by: Cheryl
Murder hits closer to home as Vicky's ex is killed and she is considered the prime suspect. Another man is missing and everything seems to lead to the cult on a ranch. Surprise ending.
Joan
I couldn't get into this book at all. I finally abandoned it.
Caitlin
Typical Tony Hillerman-style Native American mystery.
Julie
Consistently good, Margaret Coel. :)
  • Cry Dance
  • The Shaman's Bones (Charlie Moon, #3)
  • The Wailing Wind (Navajo Mysteries, #15)
  • Mourning Dove (Ella Clah, #11)
  • Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2)
Margaret Coel is the New York Times bestselling, award-winning author of the acclaimed novels featuring Father John O'Malley and Vicky Holden, as well as several works of nonfiction. Originally a historian by trade, she is considered an expert on the Arapaho Indians.
More about Margaret Coel...

Wind River Reservation (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1)
  • The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2)
  • The Dream Stalker (Wind River Reservation, #3)
  • The Story Teller (Wind River Reservation, #4)
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6)
  • The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)
  • Killing Raven (Wind River Reservation, #9)
  • Wife of Moon (Wind River Reservation, #10)
  • Eye of the Wolf (Wind River Reservation, #11)
The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1) The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2) The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5) The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6) Killing Raven (Wind River Reservation, #9)