Start by marking “I'll Drink to That: Beaujolais and the French Peasant Who Made It the World's Most Popular Wine” as Want to Read:

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The remarkable saga of the wine and people of Beaujolais and Georges Duboeuf, the peasant lad who brought both world recognition. Every third week of November, wine shops around the world announce "Le Beaujolais Nouveau est arriv" and in a few short weeks, over seven million bottles are sold and drunk. Although often scorned by the wine world's snob set, the annual deliver ...more
Published October 18th 2007 by Gotham Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I'll Drink to That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Drink to That

Kate
The first half is an engaging (if somewhat disorganized) history of Beaujolais winemaking. The second half is a love note to Georges Duboeuf, and it starts to drag. Still, if, like me, you know almost nothing about the subjects, this book is a pleasant way to learn.
Brittany
As an extremely novice wine drinker, I was strangely drawn into this wonderfully written book that chronicles the wine-making tradition of the Beaujolais region of France. I was lucky enough to experience the Beaujolais Nouveau craze during my time in France and loved reading the "story behind the wine."

Excellent writing and a compelling story, you will be cheering for the underdogs and wanting to seek out one of the crus of Beaujolais as you wait for the third week of November to roll around.
Phil
Since Beaujolais is one of my favorite wines, a very good read (for me) on the history and current issues in the region. The first half is history back to the middle ages - could have done with a bit less detail here. The second half is the rise of Georges Duboeuf as the megamerchchant of Beaujolais and especially Beaujolais Nouveau. Again, could be a shorter section, but it never completely bogs down.
Texasmochi
I adored this book, and I appreciate the detail and all the side stories. The reader wouldn't have truly 'got' Georges Deboeuf otherwise. I will encourage my wine loving husband to also read it, and maybe plan a trip to the region together (perhaps even stay at Marcel Pariaud's B&B while we are there.....) I would definitely fully appreciate it after reading this book.
Lori Ann
This book would have done much better edited down into a New Yorker article. There are very interesting bits within the book, but you have to slog through an awful lot of extraneous chapters and side stories to get to the most interesting thread, which is about Georges Duboeuf's career.
Barb Boomer
Oct 12, 2008 Barb Boomer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my adult friends
I enjoyed this book about Georges Duboeuf and the Beaujolais wine country so much that I am drinking a glass of Macon White tonight.
The writing is excellent; you won't be bored with this book.
Stephanie
My love of the wine and interest in rural France just couldn't keep me going through the ponderous, self-important prose. Alas!
Cindy
Interesting and entertaining look at the history of Beaujolais wine.
Judith
Judith is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2015
Nixieh
Nixieh marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Brooke
Brooke added it
Mar 22, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Mark Stamm
Mark Stamm marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Neill
Neill marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Feb 12, 2015
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 19, 2014
ceeeeg
ceeeeg marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Jean
Jean added it
Oct 24, 2014
Nennys
Nennys added it
May 31, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Debora Richter
Debora Richter marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Melissa Koenig
Melissa Koenig marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Perfectionist: Life and Death in Haute Cuisine Paris ( Die grossen Städte ) Superwreck: Amoco Cadiz; The Shipwreck That Had to Happen The French at Table: Why the French Know How to Eat Better Than Any People on Earth and How They Have Gone about It, from the Gauls to Paul Paris-The Great Cities Series