Start by marking “I'll Drink to That: Beaujolais and the French Peasant Who Made It the World's Most Popular Wine” as Want to Read:

The remarkable saga of the wine and people of Beaujolais and Georges Duboeuf, the peasant lad who brought both world recognition. Every third week of November, wine shops around the world announce "Le Beaujolais Nouveau est arriv" and in a few short weeks, over seven million bottles are sold and drunk. Although often scorned by the wine world's snob set, the annual deliver ...more
Published October 18th 2007 by Gotham Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I'll Drink to That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Drink to That

Brittany
Aug 21, 2009 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an extremely novice wine drinker, I was strangely drawn into this wonderfully written book that chronicles the wine-making tradition of the Beaujolais region of France. I was lucky enough to experience the Beaujolais Nouveau craze during my time in France and loved reading the "story behind the wine."

Excellent writing and a compelling story, you will be cheering for the underdogs and wanting to seek out one of the crus of Beaujolais as you wait for the third week of November to roll around.
Phil
Feb 23, 2011 Phil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wine-and-spirits
Since Beaujolais is one of my favorite wines, a very good read (for me) on the history and current issues in the region. The first half is history back to the middle ages - could have done with a bit less detail here. The second half is the rise of Georges Duboeuf as the megamerchchant of Beaujolais and especially Beaujolais Nouveau. Again, could be a shorter section, but it never completely bogs down.
Texasmochi
May 20, 2012 Texasmochi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I adored this book, and I appreciate the detail and all the side stories. The reader wouldn't have truly 'got' Georges Deboeuf otherwise. I will encourage my wine loving husband to also read it, and maybe plan a trip to the region together (perhaps even stay at Marcel Pariaud's B&B while we are there.....) I would definitely fully appreciate it after reading this book.
Kate
Mar 10, 2014 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half is an engaging (if somewhat disorganized) history of Beaujolais winemaking. The second half is a love note to Georges Duboeuf, and it starts to drag. Still, if, like me, you know almost nothing about the subjects, this book is a pleasant way to learn.
Lori Ann
Aug 26, 2008 Lori Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book would have done much better edited down into a New Yorker article. There are very interesting bits within the book, but you have to slog through an awful lot of extraneous chapters and side stories to get to the most interesting thread, which is about Georges Duboeuf's career.
Barb Boomer
Oct 12, 2008 Barb Boomer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my adult friends
I enjoyed this book about Georges Duboeuf and the Beaujolais wine country so much that I am drinking a glass of Macon White tonight.
The writing is excellent; you won't be bored with this book.
Stephanie
Mar 24, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, july
My love of the wine and interest in rural France just couldn't keep me going through the ponderous, self-important prose. Alas!
Penny
Penny rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Alejandro
Alejandro rated it liked it
May 22, 2013
Paul Dearborn
Paul Dearborn rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Jon
Jon rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Felicien
Felicien rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Marty
Marty rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2009
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2008
Tamela
Tamela rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Allisen Lemay
Allisen Lemay rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2011
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Melodie
Melodie rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2010
Troy Phillips
Troy Phillips rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2010
Judith
Judith rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Becky Quigley
Becky Quigley rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2008
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2014
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2009