Start by marking “Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found” as Want to Read:
Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found

Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found (Step into Reading, Step 4)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Describes the burial of the Pharaoh Tutankhamen and the discovery of his long-lost tomb by archaeologists more than 3000 years later.
Published May 12th 1988 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Tut's Mummy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tut's Mummy

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley SnyderThe Red Pyramid by Rick RiordanMummies Made in Egypt by AlikiEgyptology by Emily SandsMummies in the Morning by Mary Pope Osborne
Books for young people about Ancient Egypt
14th out of 116 books — 30 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWendall by Othen Donald Dale CummingsAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith ViorstOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Books for six-year-olds
355th out of 397 books — 195 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
A great educational book for your children over the preschool age. My 6 yr old loved it. Lots of good information with beautiful pictures that will help keep children engaged. A great addition to any children's library.
Alix Mckee
This was a great brief introduction to the history of King Tutankhamen and the archaeological discovery of his tomb. The book has five short chapters and interesting illustrations.
Rebecca
A short, easy to read book about the search for King Tutankahmen's tomb. Informative with good illustrations and some photographs.
Ebookwormy
Oct 20, 2011 Ebookwormy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ebookwormy by: Tapestry of Grace, Sonlight
This book is a best of the best selection. Not only does it provide information on King Tut's life in ancient times, it also explains how locations of ancient tombs became exploited/ raided or lost in time. By opening with Tut's death, including the gap and then using the rest of the book to follow Howard Carter's search for King Tut's tomb, the student gains new insight into the study of history via archaeology. AND, making it even better, the book is written at a 2-3rd grade reading level, mak ...more
Beth Anne
Read aloud to Emma and Will. A good overview of the discovery of Tut's tomb, complete with real photographs.
Waylon Michel
I really liked this read aloud. I did this book as a lesson for my kids in class last week.
Lisa
Jan 07, 2015 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Curriculum
Good, simple, non-fiction book about Ancient Egypt.
Jen
I loved this book because it presents history with illustrations alongside actual pictures. At first I wasn't sure if Nicola was going to understand or retain anything I was reading to her because the ideas are so foreign, but once we had finished reading the book she spouted back the main ideas with clarity. Funny note: we were reading this book together and she was squirming. I told her, "Sit still, this is school." She replied, "THIS is school?! I didn't know this was school!" :D
Shelli
This is a wonderful book for young readers, showcasing the efforts and determination of one man, Howard Carter, who had a passion for Ancient Egypt and its mysteries. After many, many years and let downs, he discovered the tomb of the forgotten King Tutankhamen. This book also talks a bit about King Tut, the mummification process, and the secret burial site of the young boy king. A must have book for any school library!
Heather
One of my sons absolutely loved this. The other hated it. I thought it had interesting information, but the writing was a little choppy. It's meant for beginning readers so it doesn't really flow.

The illustrations are done in soft, muted tones and each page has several sentences without being overwhelming.

I'll probably have them read it again when we study Egypt again. Or not. We'll see.
Brent
May 24, 2012 Brent rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents and children
Recommended to Brent by: Carlos Museum Bookshop
Available at Carlos Museum Bookshop -

Egypt, 1922. The underground tomb of King Tut is discovered by Howard Carter after years of searching. The secret treasure it holds is the archaeological find of a lifetime!
For grades 2-3 (Step into Reading series, Step 4)

$3.99, softcover
Trace
Luke and I both agreed that this was a 5-star reader. It was full of fascinating historical facts. We find it difficult to find beginner readers that actually have interesting substance as opposed to just fluff....

It was fascinating to us to "meet" the people who discovered King Tuts tomb.
Dian Ara
Mummies! With pictures and lovely illustrations, yaaay... Despite being written for 2nd and 3rd graders, it explains Tutankhamen's tomb discovery quite thoroughly, preceded by some interesting information about mummification and ancient Egyptian funeral ritual.
Margaret
We started this one as an eBook from the overdrive library but finished it as I finally got an old paperback copy. I definitely think that these early readers are better as physical books rather than landscape ebooks.
Leah Bender
This book changed my life forever when I was five years old. No joke. I'm in grad school for Egyptology now.
Teri
Good story about the discovery of King Tut's tomb. We read it twice and surprisingly it wasn't too dry.
Casey Lynn
this book about king tut is a really good book. it also has alot of facts on king tut
Jean-Marie
Great easy reader book about King Tutankhamen's tomb and its discovery by Howard Carter.
Jessica Van Vleet
I read this to my 1st grader. :) I thought it was very interesting.
Jaeger Matthias
gggggggggggooooooooooooooodddddddddddd

I loved it.
Leslie
My 7 year old gives it 2 thumbs up.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This book is about mummy's. A.
Lori
Nov 28, 2010 Lori added it
I2B, good read.
Marie
Marie added it
May 21, 2015
Stacy-Ann Henry
Stacy-Ann Henry marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
  • Greek Myths for Young Children
  • Prairie School
  • Child's History of the World
  • Mummies Made in Egypt
  • The Usborne Book of World History (Picture history)
  • What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings

Step into Reading, Step 4 (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Pompeii...Buried Alive!
  • Soccer Sam
  • The Titanic: Lost and Found
  • Ice Mummy: The Discovery of a 5,000 Year-Old Man
  • A Mare for Young Wolf (Step-Into-Reading, Step 4)
  • Amazing Rescues (Step-Into-Reading, Step 4)
  • The Secret of Foghorn Island (Step-Into-Reading, Step 4)
  • Do Not Open This Crate! (The Cat in the Hat: Step into Reading, Step 4)
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
The Titanic: Lost and Found Moonwalk: The First Trip to the Moon Who Shot the President? The Death of John F. Kennedy True-Life Treasure Hunts (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) Survive! Could you?