Start by marking “Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found” as Want to Read:
Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found

Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found (Step into Reading, Step 4)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  585 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Describes the burial of the Pharaoh Tutankhamen and the discovery of his long-lost tomb by archaeologists more than 3000 years later.
Published May 12th 1988 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Tut's Mummy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tut's Mummy

The Secret of the Sacred Scarab by Fiona IngramThe Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley SnyderThe Red Pyramid by Rick RiordanMummies Made in Egypt by AlikiMummies in the Morning by Mary Pope Osborne
Books for young people about Ancient Egypt
21st out of 127 books — 44 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWendall by Othen Donald Dale CummingsAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith ViorstWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Books for six-year-olds
388th out of 491 books — 226 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
Apr 28, 2014 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A great educational book for your children over the preschool age. My 6 yr old loved it. Lots of good information with beautiful pictures that will help keep children engaged. A great addition to any children's library.
Alix Mckee
Jul 13, 2014 Alix Mckee rated it liked it
This was a great brief introduction to the history of King Tutankhamen and the archaeological discovery of his tomb. The book has five short chapters and interesting illustrations.
Stephanie
Apr 26, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it
We really liked this book. The information about King Tut was wonderful. The story was well streamlined, illustrations were great, and we loved that they used some actual photos.
Rebecca
Oct 17, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sonlight-core-b
A short, easy to read book about the search for King Tutankahmen's tomb. Informative with good illustrations and some photographs.
Ebookwormy
Oct 20, 2011 Ebookwormy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ebookwormy by: Tapestry of Grace, Sonlight
This book is a best of the best selection. Not only does it provide information on King Tut's life in ancient times, it also explains how locations of ancient tombs became exploited/ raided or lost in time. By opening with Tut's death, including the gap and then using the rest of the book to follow Howard Carter's search for King Tut's tomb, the student gains new insight into the study of history via archaeology. AND, making it even better, the book is written at a 2-3rd grade reading level, mak ...more
Bladestryke
Jan 03, 2016 Bladestryke rated it really liked it
A nice little book with actual pictures of king tuts items. A nice way to introduce the kiddos to the boy king.
Megan
Jun 25, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
My emerging reader LOVES this book. We've read it over and over. At least it has some facts for mom.
Beth Anne
Jun 06, 2014 Beth Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud, 2014
Read aloud to Emma and Will. A good overview of the discovery of Tut's tomb, complete with real photographs.
Waylon Michel
Apr 24, 2015 Waylon Michel rated it really liked it
I really liked this read aloud. I did this book as a lesson for my kids in class last week.
Jen
Jul 21, 2010 Jen rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it presents history with illustrations alongside actual pictures. At first I wasn't sure if Nicola was going to understand or retain anything I was reading to her because the ideas are so foreign, but once we had finished reading the book she spouted back the main ideas with clarity. Funny note: we were reading this book together and she was squirming. I told her, "Sit still, this is school." She replied, "THIS is school?! I didn't know this was school!" :D
Shelli
Nov 27, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book for young readers, showcasing the efforts and determination of one man, Howard Carter, who had a passion for Ancient Egypt and its mysteries. After many, many years and let downs, he discovered the tomb of the forgotten King Tutankhamen. This book also talks a bit about King Tut, the mummification process, and the secret burial site of the young boy king. A must have book for any school library!
Heather
One of my sons absolutely loved this. The other hated it. I thought it had interesting information, but the writing was a little choppy. It's meant for beginning readers so it doesn't really flow.

The illustrations are done in soft, muted tones and each page has several sentences without being overwhelming.

I'll probably have them read it again when we study Egypt again. Or not. We'll see.
Brent
May 24, 2012 Brent rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents and children
Recommended to Brent by: Carlos Museum Bookshop
Available at Carlos Museum Bookshop -

Egypt, 1922. The underground tomb of King Tut is discovered by Howard Carter after years of searching. The secret treasure it holds is the archaeological find of a lifetime!
For grades 2-3 (Step into Reading series, Step 4)

$3.99, softcover
Trace
Nov 04, 2012 Trace rated it it was amazing
Luke and I both agreed that this was a 5-star reader. It was full of fascinating historical facts. We find it difficult to find beginner readers that actually have interesting substance as opposed to just fluff....

It was fascinating to us to "meet" the people who discovered King Tuts tomb.
Dian Ara
Jan 30, 2013 Dian Ara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mummies! With pictures and lovely illustrations, yaaay... Despite being written for 2nd and 3rd graders, it explains Tutankhamen's tomb discovery quite thoroughly, preceded by some interesting information about mummification and ancient Egyptian funeral ritual.
Margaret
We started this one as an eBook from the overdrive library but finished it as I finally got an old paperback copy. I definitely think that these early readers are better as physical books rather than landscape ebooks.
Leah Bender
Sep 18, 2013 Leah Bender rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life forever when I was five years old. No joke. I'm in grad school for Egyptology now.
Teri
Jan 12, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: ancient-egypt
Good story about the discovery of King Tut's tomb. We read it twice and surprisingly it wasn't too dry.
Casey Lynn
Jul 20, 2010 Casey Lynn rated it it was ok
this book about king tut is a really good book. it also has alot of facts on king tut
Jean-Marie
Great easy reader book about King Tutankhamen's tomb and its discovery by Howard Carter.
Jessica Van Vleet
Jan 31, 2011 Jessica Van Vleet rated it really liked it
I read this to my 1st grader. :) I thought it was very interesting.
Lisa
Jun 17, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Curriculum
Good, simple, non-fiction book about Ancient Egypt.
Jaeger Matthias
Aug 09, 2011 Jaeger Matthias rated it it was amazing
gggggggggggooooooooooooooodddddddddddd

I loved it.
Leslie
May 05, 2010 Leslie rated it really liked it
My 7 year old gives it 2 thumbs up.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This book is about mummy's. A.
Lori
Nov 28, 2010 Lori added it
I2B, good read.
Jenee Melgoza
Jenee Melgoza marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Shana
Shana marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Peggy
Peggy is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2016
Kendra Kae
Kendra Kae rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
  • Mummies Made in Egypt
  • Peter the Great
  • Favorite Poems of Childhood
  • Greek Myths For Young Children
  • The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Prairie School
  • A Child's History of the World
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • The Usborne Book of World History
  • The True Story of Pocahontas (Step Into Reading, Step 3)

Step into Reading, Step 4 (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Pompeii...Buried Alive!
  • Soccer Sam
  • The Titanic: Lost and Found
  • Ice Mummy: The Discovery of a 5,000 Year-Old Man
  • A Mare for Young Wolf (Step-Into-Reading, Step 4)
  • Amazing Rescues (Step-Into-Reading, Step 4)
  • The Secret of Foghorn Island (Step-Into-Reading, Step 4)
  • Do Not Open This Crate! (The Cat in the Hat: Step into Reading, Step 4)
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares