Start by marking “Vincent Van Gogh, 1853-1890: Vision and Reality” as Want to Read:
Vincent Van Gogh, 1853-1890: Vision and Reality

Vincent Van Gogh, 1853-1890: Vision and Reality (TASCHEN's Basic Art Series #6)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  399 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Handy size, concise monogram.
Published August 1st 1999 by Taschen (first published December 12th 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Vincent Van Gogh, 1853-1890, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vincent Van Gogh, 1853-1890

While it's nice to peruse a compendium of my favorite artist's work, there were two major problems with this work.

The first is unfortunately inherent in van Gogh's work, and that is how printed facsimiles of his paintings never come close to the full register of color and sheer power of the originals. I was again and again taken by how his paintings, in this book, fail to really move me, while those same paintings in real life cause my breath to quicken and my heart to beat stronger, and I hone
Pete Kelly
I'm not the most enthusiastic art lover, however, I have always liked Van Gogh. I am always drawn to his paintings whenever I find myself in a museum and have always been fascinated by his style and more so his defiance.

It was great to have so much of his life's work packed into one book. This book tells the story of his life and includes paintings along the way, as well as quotes from Van Gogh himself. It's amazing to see his style develop as his life does and you can literally see it happening
Che dire? Poesia, bellezza, arte, amore, colori caldi e tenui. Una bellezza che commuove e la mente di un genio. Amore puro.
Adam Roan
Vincent Van Gogh was an utter failure in life. He had four marriages which grew into dissolute vapor by the time he was 30 years old.

No place to live, rarely able to eat (artists of world understand this like an atavism.) He couldn't even sustain friends for more than weeks at a given time because of his "stay oft" between mental wards on and off during his life.

He discovered painting or, as I like to believe, painting discovered him. No doubt the The Middle Age art historians love to relish an
Although the descriptions about how certain paintings were painted was a little too detailed for me a times, I really enjoyed reading this book. It was very inspirational, the print was great and finally I know a lot more about one of my favourite artists.
Patsy Parker
It has been a long time since I read this, but I remember it being very good, easy to read and informative. The pictures of his art are wonderful! (I'm guessing on my "date I finished this book!" :)
Cleaning out some bookshelves the other day (a never-ending task), I found this book which I bought some months ago. So I read it yesterday (it is just 96 pages) and even though I know quite a bit about Van Gogh, this was still a delight. Walther combines biography, paintings and analysis of them, and discussion of Van Gogh's techniques. I especially liked the illustrated time line at the end.

Very well done. This author clearly knows his art and artists. Great find!
A wonderful book about Vincent Van Gogh that includes his history as an artist, background about his life and many color images of his paintings. This is a great book for those who want to know more about Van Gogh, who want to know more about his art or for those who just like his work. You can choose to read it cover to cover or just pick and choose the chapters you are interested in.
As with other titles in the Taschen Basic Art series, this volume is a great introduction to the Van Gogh's life and work. The color reproductions are done very well considering the price and size of the book, and the chapters following the artist's chronological life history are interesting and very readable. A great introduction to a fascinating artist.
Fascinating book about a fascinating man. He was troubled but brilliant. I was especially excited to have details pointed out to me like his respect and obedience to drawing but it was once he applied paint to the canvas that revolutionized painting. His love of color and understanding of the relationship of complementary colors spoke to me.
Max Williams
I'd love to own all of Taschen's Basic Art books. I just picked up their Van Gogh book which has great prints of a lot of his work. I've read the first few chapters which explore Van Gogh's life and career as an artist. Very interesting read so far, but even better are all the great pages of artwork.
Wonderful illustrations of van Gogh's painting, drawings and etchings but Walther insights on seeing van Gogh only through the lens of mental instability and misses some of the pure wonder of his artistic vision - a good introduction but now I am going to look for something with some substance!
Basar Aykut
Kitaptaki fotoğrafların birçoğu sanki orjinal tablolardan değil de kötü kopyalarından çekilmiş gibi duruyor. Birçok fotoğrafta ciddi gürültü ve renk farklılıkları var. Benzer yorumlar kitabın bazı yabancı baskıları için de yapılmış. Türkçe baskıdan kaynaklı bir sorun değil sanırım.
Oct 30, 2011 Bookmaniac70 rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bookmaniac70 by: bistra
Припомних си накратко живота и съдбата на един от най-любимите ми художници. Добър текст, който успява в малък формат да даде информация за основните етапи и събития в живота на Ван Гог.
It's interesting if you want to know more about Van Gogh's life, feelings and art of course. The paintings are colorful. It seems as you're looking to the original canvas !.
I didn't read much of what the author wrote; I just focused on the quotes from ol' Vincent and all of the wonderful paintings. Extraordinarily insightful and inspiring man.
Całkiem fajna pozycja jako wprowadzenie do twórczości Van Gogha. Momentami jednak zbyt poetyckie i próbujące naginać rzeczywistość by ukazać malarza w dobrym świetle.
Jan 29, 2008 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Not only a solid retrospective on Van Gogh's art, but an empathic study of him as a tortured soul doing his best to order the chaos of his experience of the world.
Alexander Páez
Quan complicada es la vida del pintor incluso para sus monógrafos. Se podrían editar libros y decenas de documentales y ninguno llegaría a la misma conclusión.
Esther Hong
"I am ready to play the role of a madman, although I have not at all the strength for such a role."
Juan Carlos Santillán
Breve, conciso, puntual, centrado en la actividad pictórica.
Kamil Borkowski
Brilliant artist and his body of work, but the book is awful.
  • Wassily Kandinsky: 1866-1944 a Revolution in Painting
  • Sandro Botticelli 1444/45 - 1510
  • Japanese Prints
  • J.M.W. Turner, 1775-1851: The World of Light and Colour
  • Hopper
Ingo F. Walther was born in Berlin in 1940 and studied medieval studies, literature, and art history in Frankfurt am Main and Munich. He has published numerous books on the art of the Middle Ages and of the 19th and 20th centuries.
More about Ingo F. Walther...

TASCHEN's Basic Art Series (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Rembrandt, 1606-1669: The Mystery of the Revealed Form
  • Leonardo Da Vinci, 1452-1519
  • Pablo Picasso, 1881-1973: Genius of the Century
  • Michelangelo
  • Dalí, 1904-1989
  • Francisco Goya (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Sandro Botticelli 1444/45 - 1510
  • Rubens (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Degas (Basic Art)
  • Gustav Klimt: 1862-1918
Marc Chagall, 1887-1985: Painting as Poetry Pablo Picasso, 1881-1973: Genius of the Century Paul Gauguin: 1848-1903 the Primitive Sophisticate Impressionism Art of the Twentieth Century

“Yet it was precisely these points which marked out van Gogh's own view of beauty, based on the people in his environment, who were admittedly not beautiful, but who embodied his idea of truth.” 3 likes
“and I am quite sure that they are worth being painted.” 1 likes