Going Down South Going Down South Going Down South

Going Down South Going Down South Going Down South

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  42 reviews
From the author of "The Middle Sister" comes a heartwarming tale of second chances and the unparalleled love between mothers and daughters.
When fifteen-year-old Olivia Jean finds herself in the "family way," her mother, Daisy, who has never been very maternal, springs into action. Daisy decides that Olivia Jean can't stay in New York and whisks her away to her grandmother...more
Published July 29th 2008 by One World (first published January 1st 2008)

Bonnie
Jan 11, 2008 Bonnie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
All right - it is hard not to feel like a parent of a new child when you are getting ready to introduce a book to the public that you have written. Hey, I'm a mom again!

In the writing of this book I have learned a great many things, some of them very personal. But two things, I'll share: Life goes on despite every hurt that dwells inside of your heart and if it weren't for literacy, both reading and writing, I don't know what I would do with myself.

Ellen
This story about three generations of African American women is tender and real and funny and heartbreaking. My favorite kind of novels are the ones that offer insight into complex human relationships, and this one delivers. I promise you'll love it. Also, I highly recommend it for book clubs.
Darlene
Going Down South is one of my favorite books this year. I really enjoyed it. This story is about three generations of women in a family-Birdie, Daisy and Olivia Jean-all head strong and stubborn in their own way. It's such a strong story about the connections between mothers and daughters-the good, the bad, and the stuff that ultimately keeps you together. It's set in the South in the 60's and touches on so many issues: color, teen pregnancy, and relationships. The story is told from the point o...more
Donura
Aug 22, 2008 Donura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any woman young or old
Shelves: own

RATING: 4.5 out of 5

Reading Going Down South, was like going back in time in more ways than one. There was a period of time in my reading life when I became quite immersed in the reading of African American women authors. It seemed like the more I read, the more I wanted to read. One author led to another as I would read interviews or reviews as well as books. Alice Walker and Toni Morrison novels, J. California Cooper novels and short story collections. Tina McElroy Ansa, and of course, Zora Ne...more
GUD Magazine
This is a reading-group book. You can tell because it's about mothers and daughters, because it has race- and gender-based complications, and because it has Reading Group Questions at the back. Unfortunately, I don't think I found it as edifying as I was supposed to. Going Down South has a solid sense of time and place and culture, even while jumping around between them, but is weaker in plot and characterization, which make that sense of the settings more difficult to appreciate and learn from....more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Most reviews I've seen call it "wonderful" and a great book for and about mothers and daughters.

It's meant to be a thought-provoking, coming of age, multi-generational book. A young girl becomes pregnant and her mother takes her down south to her grandmother's home. Mom and grandma are somewhat estranged, mom and daughter are somewhat estranged. Most of the men are losers. Secrets are shared and ideally everyone comes together at the end.

I couldn't even finish it. I didn't care about the charac...more
Abby
Jan 18, 2009 Abby rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Abby by: the author!
3 generations of women come together and discover a lot about themselves and their familt history. Set in 1960's Alabama with flashbacks to earlier times. Well written and heart warming.
Gypsy
Going Down South by Bonnie J. Glover

Going Down South is the story of three generations of women with three generations worth of secrets. Birdie the matriarch of the family is a blue-black woman with a questionable background. Birdie’s daughter Daisy, left Alabama at an early age never to return again, or so she thought. Olivia Jean, Daisy’s daughter changed that with the realization that she is pregnant at 15. Daisy decides that she and her husband, Turk will take Olivia Jean to live with Birdie...more
Wisteria Leigh
Going Down South just blew me away. This is the story of three ordinary yet extraordinary women, Grandma Birdie, her daughter Daisy and her 15 year old granddaughter Olivia Jean who come to live in Cold Water Springs, Alabama. Ms. Glover has created an amazing cast of characters in this beautiful story of forgiveness. The dialogue is so amazingly genuine, offering a glimpse of a culture through conversations that are honest and rarely seen in literature. You can� t get closer to real life than t...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by hoopsielv for TeensReadToo.com

This is a story of women spanning three different generations.

Olivia Jean is the apple of her daddy's eye and is praised by her mama for her good grades. Now, she's pregnant at fifteen.

Her parents, Daisy and Turk, decide it's best for her to go down south and live with her grandma, Birdie, to hide their shame. Birdie isn't going to make it that easy, though. She gives them the ultimatum that Olivia Jean is welcome to stay, but only if Daisy stays, as wel...more
Julia
Jackie
The time is early 1960's and fifteen-year-old Olivia Jean mistakes sex for love and becomes pregnant. Her mother, Daisy, and her father, Turk, decide to take Olivia Jean to live with her grandmother, Birdie, who lives in Cold Water Springs, Alabama until the baby is born and they can return her to New York. But, when they arrive, Birdie says that she will agree to their plans only if Daisy stays as well. Now, these three generations are forced to live together, share their secrets and hurts, and...more
J
(FROM JACKET)When fifteen-year-old Olivia Jean finds herself in the "family way", her mother, Daisy, who has never been very maternal, springs into action. Daisy decides that Olivia Jean can't stay in New York and whisks her away to her grandmother's farm in Alabama to have the baby-even though Daisy and her mother, Birdie, have been estranged for years. When they arrive, Birdie lays down the law: Sure, her granddaughter can stay, but Daisy will have to stay as well. Though Daisy is furious, she...more
Monique
Anna
Going Down South is a delightful read about real women, flaws and all. Glover expertly weaves numerous weighty issues (teenage pregnancy, racism, abortion, rape, infidelity, interracial marriage) into a story that primarily is about the bonds between mothers and daughters. She shows how we might not live our lives perfectly, we might even hurt one another, but there always is room for love, forgiveness, and another chance to make things right.

Full review on Diary of an Eccentric
Lesley
I expected more... but a decent tale!
Lisa
Another good black fiction book about the south.
Melody
Strong characters drive the plot of this delightful novel. Three generations of strong women, each strong in a different way, interact and learn about the corrosive power of secrets. The male characters are perhaps a little stereotypical, but in the service of the plot that is understandable and as it should be. The evocations of time and place are poignant and ring true. A home run from Glover.
Eli
The pacing was a little slow.
Susan
Sep 05, 2008 Susan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: general readership.
A well-written book, set in 1960 in New York and Alabama. Briefly, the plot revolves on the plight of a pregnant 15-year-old and her mother, when they travel down south to stay with the mother's mother to wait--and hide--the birth.

The settings feel true, and the segregated era feel spot-on. Excellent, well-fleshed characters, with three generations of unique and strong women.
Christina
Mar 26, 2009 Christina marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Going Down South’s sentences, and therefore flow, is very staccato — short, choppy, rough, and jerky. The narrative also jumped around quite a bit, and there wasn’t a single character I cared about, and none of them, even Olivia Jean, stirred any feelings in what so every. I found reading it to be a very grating experience.
Dorinda
This is a good summer read. Packing the unwed mother off to Grandam in Alabama in the 1960's is not an uncommon topic but the author tells the story from the viewpoint of an African American family with an interesting story for grandma and mother so it rises above the mundane. Very enjoyable.
Iejones
A heart warming and heart wrenching story about being a girl, mother and granddaughter. The secrets in one family continue to impact suceeding generations of women until the last shoe is dropped and everyone is forced to confront themselves and their actions.
Carol Brusegar
This story of 3 generations of women and how their secrets have impacted their lives is an interesting read, with well developed characters. The story begins in New York and moves to a tiny town in Alabama and the life stories reflect the issues of the times.
Keshia
Um, I thought the book was good. I like how it explored the three generations of women. I guess I was a little bit disappointed because it really didn't not go much in depth about the South. Overall good book, but its not one of my top ten.
Tj
This is a quick and dramatic novel that I enjoyed reading. This novel explores the anguish, pain, secrets, joys, love,and (hopefully) forgiveness that is woven throughout the dynamic relationship between mothers and daughters.
Phyllis Lohar-singh
I enjoyed this book as the situation is very common when the Grandmother steps in to be the Mother, sister, friend, Grandmother all in one. The ties the bound were in effect in this novel.
Traydonaldson
I really enjoyed this book..it was a quick read, but very well written...it had a lot of twists and turns and secrets...it gave a variety of entertainment...some sad, some funny.
  • Seen It All and Done the Rest