Start by marking “Microgreens: How to Grow Nature's Own Superfood” as Want to Read:
Microgreens: How to Grow Nature's Own Superfood

Microgreens: How to Grow Nature's Own Superfood

Microgreens are the first true leaves of herbs and vegetables -- and today's hottest gourmet garnish.

Microgreens is a practical guide to growing arugula and other popular mini-greens that offer a multitude of colors, textures and distinct flavors, as well as high levels of concentrated active compounds. Microgreens pack a powerful nutritional punch, are easily grown in
Published August 19th 2010 by Firefly Books (first published July 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Microgreens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Microgreens

Sarah Lee
If you are wanting to get started in microgreens this book has lots of good information on the various types. I checked this out from my library to get started with my sprouts and microgreens, but I definitely want to purchase my own copy in the future to branch out into other types of greens!
Sue
Oct 01, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it
Growing microgreens is a new concept to me, and it is beautifully presented in this book. The health benefits and each microgreen's properties, such as taste and use, are detailed. How to grow, in what kind of containers, and recipes are explained in separate chapters. Websites and resources and a glossary are included at the end of the book. One reviewer thought pictures of step by step planting and harvesting would have been great additions to the book, and I agree. Now I am enthused to try th ...more
Yellowoasis
May 06, 2011 Yellowoasis rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This book is visually very appealing (as you'd expect from a professional florist). It gives good advice, but I'd like it to be a bit more precise. Just how thick should the seeds be sown? Can you recycle the growing medium? What kind of fertiliser should you use, how dilute? Some photos of work in progress would be good too - step by step images so you know what to do at each stage. On the whole though, it's an attractive book and I suspect her message is, "Just have a go!"
Teesa
Feb 05, 2014 Teesa rated it really liked it
Microgreens, yes you're now used to the familiar wheatgrass sold everywhere. If you're lucky you'll now see more variety microgreens...they are not not to be confused with sprouts, they are grown in high light and in soil. Stronger in flavor and more concentrated nutrition, they can easily be added to your favorite dishes. You probably already have on hand everything needed to get started, so enjoy the anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antioxidant effects for yourself.
Voracious
Sep 16, 2012 Voracious rated it liked it
Useful guide, though I wish she'd provided info consistently on each plant. For example, with some seeds she specified the best growing medium, but not with all. Or best season for growing, etc. I don't believe her nutritional claims have much scientific backing. But it gave me the info I need, mostly.
Ita
Apr 28, 2011 Ita rated it really liked it
OK, I'm shallow. I got this for the pictures. I was pleasantly surprised to find it contained lots of good information on growing microgreens. And it is inspiring me to maybe even grow some! I'm trying to eat healthier and veggies are my least favorite food.
Kristen
Feb 02, 2013 Kristen rated it it was ok
Didn't really get any more/new info from this that I haven't read already online. In fact, the entire book feels like an overly long magazine article, with waaaaay too much emphasis on growing in "cute" or "attractive" containers. Who cares?!
Jan 02, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok
Lots of pretty pictures. Encouraging if you want to grow on a small scale, even in a small apartment or just a bit for fun. Lacks specific horticultural information for each type of plant but includes basic info on growing microgreens.
Tamsin
Nov 07, 2012 Tamsin rated it liked it
Inspiring - now I'm off to buy some microgreen seeds :)
Rachael
Jul 17, 2012 Rachael rated it really liked it
Shelves: garden
great info, now i have one more thing to plant........
Elie
Jul 08, 2013 Elie rated it liked it
Shelves: growing
The pictures are really inspiring, the text not so much. Some interesting facts under the individual crop section.
Molly
Jan 04, 2011 Molly rated it liked it
I learned a good deal about growing greens, and I really enjoyed some of the recipes.
Miss M
May 09, 2016 Miss M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature, nonfiction, garden
Good beginner's guide to growing microgreens. Definitely good for reference.
Annie Oosterwyk
Mar 07, 2015 Annie Oosterwyk rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
I went straight to the farmer's market and bought sprouts after reading this.
Helen Lyons
Nov 10, 2011 Helen Lyons rated it it was amazing
It was informational. I did not think of using greens that small. I will definately grow grees to use before they are mature.
Karla Seelandt
Karla Seelandt rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2014
Patti
Patti rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Kay Johnson
Kay Johnson rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2017
Luna Lo Coco
Luna Lo Coco rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2011
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Lana Vickridge-smith
Lana Vickridge-smith rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2014
Zaida
Zaida rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2017
Chloe Goodman
Chloe Goodman rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Aja Marsh
Aja Marsh rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2012
Jhawn
Jhawn rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Sarah Baker
Sarah Baker rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2017
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune
  • Ani's Raw Food Desserts: 85 Easy, Delectable Sweets and Treats
  • Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family
  • The Indian Vegan Kitchen: More Than 150 Quick and Healthy Homestyle Recipes
  • Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Vegan Casseroles: Pasta Bakes, Gratins, Pot Pies, and More
  • Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living
  • Soy, Not Oi!
  • Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker: 200 Ultra-Convenient, Super-Tasty, Completely Animal-Free Recipes
  • Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats From Around the World: Fantastic, Allergy-Free Ethnic Recipes
  • Rawsome Vegan Baking: An Un-cookbook for Raw, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Beautiful and Sinfully Sweet Cookies, Cakes, Bars & Cupcakes
  • Salad Samurai: 100 Cutting-Edge, Ultra-Hearty, Easy-to-Make Salads You Don't Have to Be Vegan to Love
  • On Guerrilla Gardening: The Why, What, and How of Cultivating Neglected Public Space
  • Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces