Start by marking “And This Is Laura” as Want to Read:
And This Is Laura

And This Is Laura

The twelve-year-old member of a family of overachievers wishes she were special in some way too. Then she discovers she possesses psychic ability.
Paperback
Published by Little Brown and Company (first published June 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about And This Is Laura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And This Is Laura

AE
Laura is boring. Laura is plain. Laura is average. Laura has ES-FUCKING-P. This is why the book about her rather her more popular, overachieving siblings. They can't give you tomorrow's winning lotto numbers!
Gloria Diaz
Sep 23, 2012 Gloria Diaz rated it it was amazing
I read this book in middle school, and I found it again at St. Vincent De Paul. Loved it! Laura feels that she's ordinary. She gets straight As in school, but feels that isn't enough. Her sister, Jill, bowls and has been in every high school play. Brother Douglas is on the debate team and plays piano. Dennis, the youngest, is counting to a million and recites commercials. And This is Laura--the title comes from Laura, who worries that when she is introduced, that her mother and/or father will in ...more
Mely
Childhood favorite, to reread. Reminded me of Paula Danzinger, good-humored, not so dry or so New York, more functional families.
Monique
Aug 01, 2010 Monique rated it it was amazing
As Laura copes with her family, she just stands in the background, not sharing the popularity of her own blood...

You see, in Laura's family, they have great, cool talents that others are very fond of... Whereas Laura is just announced as that only... "And this is Laura..." that's it! Not like her siblings or even her parents...

But as time comes, filled with yearning to at least be an ounce extra-ordinary, she finally gets her wish! She gets an excellent talent, however quite weird it is...

it's o
Ms. Yingling
Jan 13, 2016 Ms. Yingling rated it really liked it
Found a paper back in a donation box and read for comfort! I loved Conford's works as a middle school student, and find that they are still great realistic fiction choices, with little twists I would like to find in updated versions today. They are definitely dated, with references and lifestyles that are not reflective of a world 40 years after publication. But...sigh. Love!
Hillary
Aug 30, 2014 Hillary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Another great choice for reissue from Lizzie Skurnick! I really didn't think I had read this as a kid until I got to the part about the little brother's pith helmet - unless there's another book from this era with a kid brother and a pith helmet, because I remembered nothing else about this. But I remember having no idea what a pith helmet was.
skokiesam
Jan 05, 2008 skokiesam rated it really liked it
I just finished this today, and I remembered why I loved this so much as a kid. It says something about Ellen Conford that I read her book in 1988 and in 2008 (holy crap, 20 years later!) and still enjoyed it! It's up for grabs if anyone wants to read it. It'll take you less than a day to read, trust me.
Sara
Aug 16, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Ellen Conford novels, which I've read many times since I was a kid. Even though the main character is twelve, and just started junior high, she's smart, witty and hilarious. Her motley and multi-talented family members add a lot of flavor, and her quest to stand out among them makes for a fun read.
Melody
Oct 25, 2014 Melody rated it liked it
Fast-paced and fun, this doesn't plow any new ground. The protagonist is the only person in a large family who feels talentless, until she realizes she's got a Gift- she can see the future! It's a super-quick read, and engaging throughout.
Amy
Dec 18, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngadult
I haven't read this in forever (may have to check it out again), but this was the story that started my love for fantasy...even moreso than The Wizard of Oz. I love how Laura is a normal girl with one extraordinary quality. A good, good book.
Steph (loves water)
Jan 15, 2013 Steph (loves water) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Loved this book! A girl with psychic powers developing at the onset of puberty...I could relate! So happy to finally remember the name of this book, it's stayed with me all these years. Ellen Conford is a wonderful writer!
Lisa the Librarian
Feb 13, 2012 Lisa the Librarian rated it liked it
A bit of a stretch with the whole psychic angle and a 12 year old girl discovering her "powers".

It wasn't outstanding literature, but I enjoyed it. When I was between the ages of about 10-14 the supernatural type of stuff fascinated me. I would have LOVED this book back then.
Annie
One of my favorite Lizzie Skurnick books so far. I read this as a kid and liked it; as an adult I appreciated the non-saccharin warmth of it.
Carmen
Oct 16, 2014 Carmen rated it liked it
I'm rather surprised that people rate this as high as they do. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't all that great, either. I found it a bit boring.
Catherine  Mustread
Laura dislikes being the only "ordinary" member of the family. Then she discovers she has psychic powers and getss "visions" of the future. Grades 4+
Akilah
Apr 29, 2012 Akilah rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Cute, compulsively readable story about a girl who wants to stand out in a family full of exceptional children. Ellen Conford is just the best.
Jasmine
Jun 26, 2015 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if this is one of the first Ellen Conford books I read, but definitely one of my favorite.

Okay so they're all my favorite, actually. What's your point?
Janet
Mar 16, 2016 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
another "oldie but goodie" that came out when I was parenting young kids and missed reading
Blythe Jewell
Jul 14, 2013 Blythe Jewell rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books during the tween/teen years -- loved its message about how we are all extraordinary, even when we think we're not. I've always remembered it!
Wendy
Dec 03, 2007 Wendy rated it really liked it
Constance, it occurs to me that this hasn't come up previously in our ongoing discussion titled "Books Where They Put On a Play".
Elizabeth
Maybe my favorite of her novels.
Sarah rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2008
Jonquil
Jonquil rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2017
Noel
Noel rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2009
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2010
Laura rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Ms. Davis
Ms. Davis rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Jennifer Daly
Jennifer Daly rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Domestic Arrangements
  • Happy Endings Are All Alike
  • Laura's Luck
  • Mirror of Danger (Come Back, Lucy)
  • Taking Terri Mueller
  • Debutante Hill
  • Beat the Turtle Drum
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Missing Millionaire (Trixie Belden, #34)
  • Anna to the Infinite Power
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • The Pistachio Prescription
  • Sport (Harriet the Spy #3)
  • Edward Eager's Tales of Magic (Tales of Magic #1 - 7)
  • The Night Swimmers