Start by marking “And This Is Laura” as Want to Read:
And This Is Laura

And This Is Laura

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The twelve-year-old member of a family of overachievers wishes she were special in some way too. Then she discovers she possesses psychic ability.
Published by Little Brown and Company (first published June 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about And This Is Laura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And This Is Laura

Laura is boring. Laura is plain. Laura is average. Laura has ES-FUCKING-P. This is why the book about her rather her more popular, overachieving siblings. They can't give you tomorrow's winning lotto numbers!
Gloria Diaz
I read this book in middle school, and I found it again at St. Vincent De Paul. Loved it! Laura feels that she's ordinary. She gets straight As in school, but feels that isn't enough. Her sister, Jill, bowls and has been in every high school play. Brother Douglas is on the debate team and plays piano. Dennis, the youngest, is counting to a million and recites commercials. And This is Laura--the title comes from Laura, who worries that when she is introduced, that her mother and/or father will in ...more
Childhood favorite, to reread. Reminded me of Paula Danzinger, good-humored, not so dry or so New York, more functional families.
As Laura copes with her family, she just stands in the background, not sharing the popularity of her own blood...

You see, in Laura's family, they have great, cool talents that others are very fond of... Whereas Laura is just announced as that only... "And this is Laura..." that's it! Not like her siblings or even her parents...

But as time comes, filled with yearning to at least be an ounce extra-ordinary, she finally gets her wish! She gets an excellent talent, however quite weird it is...

it's o
Another great choice for reissue from Lizzie Skurnick! I really didn't think I had read this as a kid until I got to the part about the little brother's pith helmet - unless there's another book from this era with a kid brother and a pith helmet, because I remembered nothing else about this. But I remember having no idea what a pith helmet was.
Fast-paced and fun, this doesn't plow any new ground. The protagonist is the only person in a large family who feels talentless, until she realizes she's got a Gift- she can see the future! It's a super-quick read, and engaging throughout.
Not sure if this is one of the first Ellen Conford books I read, but definitely one of my favorite.

Okay so they're all my favorite, actually. What's your point?
I'm rather surprised that people rate this as high as they do. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't all that great, either. I found it a bit boring.
One of my favorite Lizzie Skurnick books so far. I read this as a kid and liked it; as an adult I appreciated the non-saccharin warmth of it.
One of my favorite Ellen Conford novels, which I've read many times since I was a kid. Even though the main character is twelve, and just started junior high, she's smart, witty and hilarious. Her motley and multi-talented family members add a lot of flavor, and her quest to stand out among them makes for a fun read.
I just finished this today, and I remembered why I loved this so much as a kid. It says something about Ellen Conford that I read her book in 1988 and in 2008 (holy crap, 20 years later!) and still enjoyed it! It's up for grabs if anyone wants to read it. It'll take you less than a day to read, trust me.
Lisa the Librarian
A bit of a stretch with the whole psychic angle and a 12 year old girl discovering her "powers".

It wasn't outstanding literature, but I enjoyed it. When I was between the ages of about 10-14 the supernatural type of stuff fascinated me. I would have LOVED this book back then.
I haven't read this in forever (may have to check it out again), but this was the story that started my love for fantasy...even moreso than The Wizard of Oz. I love how Laura is a normal girl with one extraordinary quality. A good, good book.
Loved this book! A girl with psychic powers developing at the onset of puberty...I could relate! So happy to finally remember the name of this book, it's stayed with me all these years. Ellen Conford is a wonderful writer!
Blythe Jewell
One of my favorite books during the tween/teen years -- loved its message about how we are all extraordinary, even when we think we're not. I've always remembered it!
Catherine  Mustread
Laura dislikes being the only "ordinary" member of the family. Then she discovers she has psychic powers and getss "visions" of the future. Grades 4+
Apr 29, 2012 Akilah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Cute, compulsively readable story about a girl who wants to stand out in a family full of exceptional children. Ellen Conford is just the best.
Constance, it occurs to me that this hasn't come up previously in our ongoing discussion titled "Books Where They Put On a Play".
Maybe my favorite of her novels.
Susan Johnston
Susan Johnston marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Beverly Jemmett
Beverly Jemmett marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Lacy marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Sandy D.
Sandy D. marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
  • Beat the Turtle Drum
  • Taking Terri Mueller
  • The Pistachio Prescription
  • Anna to the Infinite Power
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Missing Millionaire (Trixie Belden, #34)
  • Conrad: The Factory-Made Boy
  • Roommates (The Girls of Canby Hall, #1)
  • The Night Swimmers
  • Edward Eager's Tales of Magic (Tales of Magic #1 - 7)