Start by marking “Fasting: Spiritual Freedom Beyond Our Appetites” as Want to Read:
Fasting: Spiritual Freedom Beyond Our Appetites

Fasting: Spiritual Freedom Beyond Our Appetites

"You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God." Matthew 5:6The Message We live in hungry times. Ours is a consumer culture, predisposed to quickly fill the cravings of body and mind. The idea of fasting--the voluntary denial of something for a specific time, for a spiritual purpose--sets us immediately on edge. But Lynne Baab makes the case thatanyone can f ...more
Published December 28th 2006 by IVP Books (first published November 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fasting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fasting

KDNH
May 08, 2009 KDNH rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book!! Fasting is a topic I didn't know much about (other than the fact that my highschool did 30 hour famines, but I didn't understand the motives or purpose). This book was well written and I soaked up the information! It made me examine my life to determine what should I fast from for a season in an effort for that thing to regain its proper priority in my life. It's a book that doesn't just make you think, it makes you want to DO what you read about! Highly recommended for anyone ...more
Misti
Aug 06, 2012 Misti rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Lots of other books I have read on fasting are difficult to read and don't offer a personal experience. Lynn offers her own experience on fasting, what she went through and how she overcame the physical and mental difficulties that fasting presents. This book challenged me. I have recommended it to many friends who have read and also been challenged by it. I loved that she offered both historical facts and scripture to support her writing. I borrowed this book but will ...more
Michael Carlson
Mar 06, 2015 Michael Carlson rated it it was amazing
I got a lot out of this book. Baab helpfully has a wider definition of fasting than not eating or drinking, which I think is most helpful for contemporary Christians (at least in America where we struggle with distractions, obsessions, and the spiritual dangers of "too much"!).
Carla
Jul 07, 2014 Carla rated it really liked it
Practical and insightful advice, and well-researched background.
Christy Luis
Mar 09, 2013 Christy Luis rated it it was amazing
This was a great introductory text to fasting as a spiritual discipline.
I have never learned much about fasting because American Christians just don't talk about it very often. It’s not a part of our culture, anymore, although it use to be. I think that should change--which is why I read this book! I had no idea that fasting was so prevalent among Christians in other countries. Now I know, and I want to make it a part of my regular faith-walk.
I learned a lot. This book covers briefly the history
Cici
Jul 23, 2016 Cici rated it liked it
A self-help book on the topic of fasting, slanting from Christian spiritual practice viewpoint. The writing is competent yet much bogged in self-referential anecdotes, interspersing with various spiritual quotes and excerpts.

Fasting is a voluntary withdraw of normal patterns of eating for specific time. It is an exercise for willpower against indulgence, or as stepping-back from what is habitual. Appetite for food and things are common manifestations of human desire, hence it is always a good i
Claudia Lee
Dec 05, 2010 Claudia Lee rated it really liked it
Lynne Baab employs a very positive approach to the spiritual discipline of fasting. She presents information from scripture, from church history, and from personal experiences to whet the reader's appetite to experience fasting. Baab takes fasting as an ancient discipline which was purely related to abstinence from food and encourages modernizing it by considering fasts from other things that can consume the modern life. I've begun reading another book on fasting that disagrees with this ...more
K. L.
Oct 11, 2011 K. L. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who want to grow spiritually
This is a helpful, positive guide to fasting as a spiritual practice. But a key question to ask yourself is why you are fasting. If it is only to enhance your own spiritual experience (or perhaps to impress God or someone else) you're missing out.
In conjunction with this book, I'd recommend you read Fast Living by Scott C. Todd, which talks about why we fast, according to Isaiah 58: to share our food with the hungry, to help those in need.
Elizabeth
Jan 12, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I thought this was a thorough and accessible overview of Christian fasting - from the early days of Christianity to now, both food/water/juice fasts and fasts from other activities or media. It was encouraging and helpful, and showed well the benefits of fasting as well as the precautions that must be taken. A great read for anyone who'd like to learn more about this ancient discipline.
NaomiRuth
Oct 16, 2013 NaomiRuth rated it it was ok
Shelves: af, non-fict
There were some interesting points and I liked it well enough, but I don't know. It felt a little bit repetitive and wasn't very intriguing to read. I also would have liked a little more research to have been done, but I understand she went more from the personal, this is how it works in these people's lives, point of view. It was alright.
Mart-Jaap Van leeuwen
Dit boek geeft helder weer wat er komt kijken bij vasten, welk doel het heeft en wat vasten je kost. Vele bijbelteksten worden behandeld, verschillende soorten vasten en handvatten voor persoonlijke toepassing. Wil je meer over dit onderwerp weten dan is het aan te bevelen dit boek te lezen.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2012
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2011
Carl Holmes
Carl Holmes rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Autumn
Autumn rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2015
karen
karen rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Tom Weiner
Tom Weiner rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2008
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2011
Juliann
Juliann rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2009
Geralyn Jacob
Geralyn Jacob rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
Yosef
Yosef rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Obie Rouse
Obie Rouse rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Lacy
Lacy rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Nina
Nina rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2009
Sovevuni
Sovevuni rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2013
Annika
Annika rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Pamela
Pamela rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Lynda
Lynda rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2007
Laura Tiessen
Laura Tiessen rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015